[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was thinking about buying a new router on prime day, sometimes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

Was thinking about buying a new router on prime day, sometimes I hear that most routers are all basically the same but I was wondering if /g/ had any personal preferences?

Also post stupid looking "gaming" routers
>>
>>61315349
TP Link Archer C7 is the best deal for the money. If you don't care if your router is made of plastic, you literally can't go wrong with it.
>>
>>61315349
Pfsense
>>
>>61315349
>turns router upside down
>it runs away
>>
File: norris-spider-maniacs3-2000.jpg (126KB, 1000x810px) Image search: [Google]
norris-spider-maniacs3-2000.jpg
126KB, 1000x810px
>>61317145
>>
Sith Lord's sitting around a table
>>
>>61315349
Whatever is cheapest but still provide 867Mb/s AC wifi and gigabit ethernet.
>>
anything that can install openwrt/ddwrt/tomato
>>
>>61315530
>if you don't care if your router is made of plastic
What else would they be made out of retard
>>
Who cares what it looks like? It goes in the network closet and doesn't get looked at until something breaks.
>>
>>61317295
this
or LEDE
>>
When I got my router about a year ago the cheapest with ac and gigabit Ethernet was a Dlink DIR-860L. It was less than $50 I believe and it's good all around except the range on the 5ghz band is just ok
>>
>>61315349
https://www.pfsense.org/
>>
>>61322265
what do you use for wifi with pfsense?
>>
>not using pfsense on a thin client

Never going to make it, OP
>>
>>61322292
cisco
>>
File: 3m8ij84.png (382KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
3m8ij84.png
382KB, 600x500px
>>
Linksys WRT3200 or nothing boyo
>>
https://smile.amazon.com/Qotom-Q190G4-Celeron-Processor-Barebone/dp/B019Z8T9J0/

Just add ram, ssd, wifi, and install PfSense.
>>
There used to be a T-Mobile version of the Asus 1900 for 68$. Flash the firmware and you got the equivalent of a 120$ router.

C7 is good
>>
Going to be getting a new router and modem. For router was thinking the Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 or the AC2600.

What's a good modem? I really don't know much about this stuff. I see that Amazon recommends the CM500 or CM700. Thoughts?

Sorry if I sound like a retard, just want opinions before purchasing.
>>
File: LPJJ8V2DyJugV6mDRrPfK9[1].jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
LPJJ8V2DyJugV6mDRrPfK9[1].jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
MIMO. Is it a meme?

Also, thoughts on this gaming switch?
>>
>>61329927
>MIMO. Is it a meme?
Are there multiple devices trying to transfer lots of data at the same time on your AP?
>>
>>61329951
Yes, shared flat. 20 devices and 2 CCTV cameras running on a fucking ISP garbage router.
>>
>>61329971
Then MIMO would probably help
>>
>>61329927
I like it. Not because of the GAYMUR bullshit, but because these days it seems to be a rarity for consumer grade switches to put their power port on the same side of the device as the network ports, making them a cable management eyesore.
>>
>>61329971
>>61330132
No it actually won't help unless all those devices specifically support MIMO as well.
>>
>>61315349
Get something with ddwrt or openwrt. Everything else is shit.
>>
I know some routers have good firmware that protects them, not sure how good though but if you're paranoid someone will "hack" you
>>
File: 220px-Aluminium-4[1].jpg (11KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Aluminium-4[1].jpg
11KB, 220x220px
>>61317342
>>
>>61317342
Let me educate you, pajeet.
You can create your own router/firewall machine on any computer with more than 1 ethernet port, using the much more powerful x86 CPU you can create a home server and run several services such as seeding torrents, SMB, GIT, if you are concerned run it all through a VPN.

There's more than a few firewall/router distros, both linux based such as OpenWRT and Tomato, and FreeBSD ones
like pfSense.

A stronger machine can also allow you to high much higher bandwidth, and very consistent ones as well, even something as basic as a core 2 duo will blow the MIPS garbage that most routers today come with.

>>61315530
I have an Archer C7 with OpenWRT on it, it's fairly nice but it only has 128MB of RAM, so keep that in mind, also the 3 antenna ports are meme tier.
>>
Anyone have any information on boosting antenna power? The high gain antennas are mostly a meme, I think I can get a better result from boosting the power to the antenna.

t. Totally not the FCC
>>
I just got two Archer C7's for myself and my buddy, though I'm having to return his. He's caught the paranoia bug and assumes that router can be traced back to him via Amazon or some shizzle.

What do you chaps find the best router for LEDE is? I only recently found out it was a thing, does this mean OpenWRT is deprecated?
>>
>>61333850
I thought Pfsense was OpenBSD?
>>
>>61334569
Well your buddy isn't wrong there, in case of returns and to avoid item swapping they will have the MAC address/Device ID of that router associated with the purchase etc
>>
>>61317192
>Whatever is cheapest but still provide 867Mb/s AC wifi and gigabit ethernet.
And that is complete bullshit because there are enough routers with that on the market but with a cpu so goddamn slow that it cannot route past about 100 Mbit to the interwebs. Even in the business sector.
>>
Get CCNA/JNCIA and configure a real router faggot
>>
>>61315349

I use an archer c2. Unfortunately no easy custom software available.
But it has enough power to route my 200 Mbit connection.
>>
>>61335253
>Get CCNA/JNCIA and configure a real router faggot
Fuck off jew.
>>
>>61333850
>A stronger machine can also allow you to high much higher bandwidth
>core 2 duo will blow the MIPS garbage that most routers today come with
>literally muh cores muh fps
>literally a 12 year old gayman trying to be smug about things he doesn't understand
Carrier grade IX-routing equipment uses RISC for a reason. Stop posting and kys yourself
>>
I have the ac68u t mobile version and that only gets me 350kbps. Bought the ac3100 hoping it gets me closer to my gigabit connection. You can buy it and use CC price protection to $69 at Walmart b&m.
>>
>>61335253
>Use enterprise grade equipment at home

KYS
>>
>>61315349
>giand spider router
Nope
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.