[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows-free households

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1485597854262.png (51KB, 209x450px) Image search: [Google]
1485597854262.png
51KB, 209x450px
Have you taken any steps to move your family away from this spyware OS and its cancerous ecosystem yet? How did you do it? Who was the biggest holdout?
>>
>>61312204
Just installed Tails in parents' desktop. Looks exactly like XP and they didn't feel a thing
>>
>>61312738
nice!
>>
File: 1498866240534.png (205KB, 622x625px) Image search: [Google]
1498866240534.png
205KB, 622x625px
>>61312204
My parents are divorced but they each call me all the time about malware, adware, and all sorts of stuff they shit up Wangblows with. A few months ago I talked to my dad about using GNU/Linux. He's a libertarian so I explained the concept of free as in freedom, the basics of the GPL, access to source code, and he loves the idea. He's fairly tech savvy when it comes to Windows, and he's loving Ubuntu MATE. Only call I got was him asking how to install work related software from a tarball. Last weekend I installed Ubuntu Budgie on my mom's 2009 laptop. I installed another 2GB of RAM (has 4GB now) and an SSD (500GB Samsung) because her hardware is pretty old. She loves the new interface. I also installed Ublock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere in Firefox on both of my Parent's machines to keep them safe.

GNU/Linux is so advanced now that it's perfect for everyday normie computing needs.

I live on my own and all of my machines are running some version of Debian or Fedora, with the exception of a PS4, a router with OpenWrt, and a couple Android (Lineage OS) devices.
>>
>>61314047
Damn what if you want some vidyas?
>>
>>61314047
>non-FSF approved distros
>>
>>61312204
Nobody was a holdout. Once they upgraded to Windows 10, I said that I had no idea how to fix their fuck ups (it was a lie, but I'm tired of fixing Windows shit). Both parents have Mint on their laptops. I left XP on their old PC tower from over a decade ago, so that they could sync their iPhones to it if they wanted to.
>>
>>61314047
PS4 runs on FreeBSD, if memory serves.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.