[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone knows why manufacturer don't offer laptops with linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 8

File: dsc_0306-100706165-large.jpg (31KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0306-100706165-large.jpg
31KB, 700x465px
Anyone knows why manufacturer don't offer laptops with linux pre-installed?I sort of get american companies don't it,but why chinks ain't interested in it?I mean it's free and shit woudn't it cut down manufacturing costs,plus you market it with stupid slogans like"virus-free" and shit like that.
>>
windows is popular

manufacturers get a good deal on a license to distribute machines with windows installed

everyone winds

i imagine back in the day though microsoft may have even paid manufacturers to use windows or maybe linux wasn't user friendly enough at the time

im not sure if most chinese people can afford a laptop
>>
microsoft has deals with most I'm sure
>>
>>61280881
Dell does.
>>
>>61280881
but there are companies that do that anon, system76 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head but there are several. they all tend to be rather overpriced though
>>
>>61281005
http://www.zdnet.com/article/2017s-best-linux-laptop-the-latest-dell-xps-13/
>>
>>61280881
Because they'll cause girls to drop out of colleges. Nobody wants to use that shit OS retard.
>>
Your average normie struggles with basic multiplication and grammar, let alone learning an operating system. Windows had to add things like MS Clippy because normies are too retarded to figure out a program on their own.
>>
>>61280881
I had fucking FreeDOS on my machine (cheap Toshiba shit)
>>
>>61280881
The same reason why new cars come with engines instead of potatoes under the hood.
>>
>>61281197
>Because they'll cause girls to drop out of colleges.

that's a good thing
>>
>>61280881
You didn't think $120 of that $250 laptop's price was Windows, did you?
Windows is discounted heavily for OEMs, and discounted more for third worlders who are even more price sensitive. (chinks aren't paying $15/mo for WoW.)

The simple fact is that Windows adds more value to a laptop than it costs. If you offer it up with Linux you'll suffer nothing but customer complaints when they can't install anything except a few user unfriendly applications that need a user unfriendly 50 step installation process..

Marketing it as "virus-free" doesn't work well when Linux itself is worse than most viruses.
>>
Because when they don't know how to do shit on Linux they'll blame manufacturer.
>>
File: 1498944129875.jpg (25KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
1498944129875.jpg
25KB, 402x402px
>>61280881
Because when someone buys a linux laptop at bestbuy and find out it doesn't have the e button for internet explorer they get butthurt and go back to bestbuy and demand their money back
>>
Linux doesn't work for normies.

The end. They've tried it before. It didn't work.
>>
>>61281957
This. They've tried it before.
>>
>>61280881
Why bother, end user will install linux if they need linux.
>>
>>61281235

youre grammar is awful bub
>>
>>61281957
>when customers can't install anything except a few user unfriendly applications

The irony is that windows is the only major OS without a repository. You idiots are so caught up in your fanboy bullshit that you can't see your head from your ass.
>>
>>61280954
you'd be surprised how many people in China can afford expensive stuff, they just wont spend money on a laptop unless they need one

>>61281847
this. many of them ended up staying at home wasting their master or phd degree, shouldve offered to a man instead
>>
>>61283505
>literal MiTM that requires you to know the name of the package you want to install
>out of date packages requires you to change to another MitM
>possibility of breaking your entire install

Thanks, but I feel better downloading cryptographically signed installers directly from the developer.
>>
>>61281957
You can buy a Intel Compute Stick for $170 with a copy of Windows 10 Pro on it which is worth $170
>>
>>61283590
>he's never searched a repo
>he doesn't know about checksums
>he uses shitty Debian repos
top b8, m8, i r8 8/8, hope you suffoc8 on a 8=D
>>
>>61281011
Actually, System76 has one recent system that apparently isn't overpriced. Galapagos Pro I think it was?
All developers at my work are required to use Linux and they've started providing this to new hires and anyone whose laptop needs replacing (except for the AI guys who use workstations with dedicated GPUs). I asked someone from management about it and the answer was basically: cheaper for better hardware than the Dell or Thinkpad options.
>>
>>61283590
>implying 99% of Windows users don't just use search engines to find the first .exe they can find and install it, regardless of where it's from

>possibility of breaking your entire install

wut?
>>
>>61283590
>apt-cache search
>emacs /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>>61283321
OP is probably a newfriend that just stumbled on the freetard propaganda of, "Windows is only used because normies will use whatever they're given and Windows is what comes preinstalled," and is trying to work out why, if Windows costs money, somebody doesn't sell computers with Linux and undercut the entire Windows market.
The answer is that freetard propaganda isn't a very accurate depiction of reality.
>>
>>61280881
Microsoft tax, microsoft charges 'discount' rates on windows licenses to OEMs at the rate of total machine production for that business.

This means that an OEM pays for a windows license even if it ships with Ubuntu or whatever. So long as windows is 'popular' it makes sense to just ship with it pre-installed.

FUCK microsoft shrewd cia double niggers.
>>
I've been saying this for months here. If companies like Dell, Lenovo and such took a Linux distro and made it their own, like what Apple did fucking decades ago with other free software elements like XNU, Darwin, BSD, then Apple would finally have some competition. The only reason why Macs are good is because of the basically perfect tailoring of software specifically for the exact hardware. Maximum efficiency and elegance in use.

They don't though, they just slap some generic Windows copy on it and charge near the same as Apple does without doing the other half of the work. That's why I laugh when you children think Macs are 'overpriced', you fail to acknowledge the glaringly obvious fact that Apple is as much a software company as it is a hardware one, maintaining and developing operating systems for a range of devices as well as other pieces of software to run on them. You think that shit is free? Having half your company work on software? This is not including the fact that they engulf around a dozen small companies every year for their technologies and IP to include in their own products. Not free either. Windows OEMs don't do that. That's not an expense of theirs, neither is OS development. Yet they're charging the same. Some XPS whatever going for $1,500, for a bill of materials costing no more than $450 and next to no development or R&D.

You're all fucking dumb.
>>
>>61283614
>>61283642
>search
Google is 1000x better when you're talking about an ecosystem with the depth and breadth of Windows software. Searching repos may work for the Linux autist who has already wasted 5 years of his life discovering the 10 pieces of software that work on Linux, but it doesn't help me to figure out what I need for what I want to do right now. I'll Google that, and Google leads me right to the software.
>>
>>61283718
The repos for Debian and Arch both have websites which list all packages. They also have forums full of people talking about how to make the software work. On top of that, the system comes with an installer that works for everything in the repo, and automatically downloads any other drivers you need, while automatically updating the packages when new versions are put into the repository (which, granted, Debian doesn't do often enough).
In other words, you can google for Linux programs just as easily as for Windows, and Linux doesn't make you google for a dozen different .dll files that may or may not contain viruses.
>>
>>61283718
>Google
Free virus
>10 pieces
Currently have over 1Mil packages (excluding anything starting with "libre") in my repos
>>
>>61283798
>not counting libre software
He could have programs that he can ACTUALLY EDIT if he wants, Anon. That's fuckin amazing, isn't it?
>>
>>61283757
See, this is the problem with Linux users: you're so used to having no choice that just " getting one piece of software to work" is deemed a success.
On Windows, Google is used to determine which if the hundreds of available pieces of software is the best. "Getting them to work," doesn't even come up since they all work.

>>61283798
>1Mil packages
Ah, so they shoveled every abandoned fork in there that they could find.
>>
>>61283849
>everything just werks(tm)
Next you'll tell me that it's not okay to be able to choose a window manager because what if it breaks something!?!?1?!?
>>
>>61280881
They do. They're called Chromebooks.
>>
>>61283844
Not libre software, software starting with "libre"
>>61283849
All working, all updated within the year
>>
>>61283874
Windows comes with the most successful one of all time.
>>
>>61283942
>it didn't even have tiling until 2016
>you can't adjust the window buttons
>for one whole revision it had mobile interface on desktop
>all this for an OS that consistently has issues with security, isn't freely available, sells your information to third parties, and requires an hours-long installation process to have a command that uses the built-in (decades-old) compression algorithm
>>
>>61283849
>actually defending a system where normies are left to meander around the internet and download random executable files
>>
>>61280881
because they have a deal with microsoft to sell computer licenses and market their software for the right to sell the Windows OS preinstalled on their hardware.
>>
They there's no money involved dumb shit, when are you shill going to understand that, why mess around with an OS that's hardly supported to one that used by the most businesses, there's nothing worth on apple or Linux , just hipsters that thinks that windows is not as cool.
>>
>>61283997
>hours-long installation process
stop trying to install it on a toaster from 2003
>>
>>61280881
Because for the general public, Linux is useless.
>>
>>61284036
Windows 7 took me less than an hour , keep up with technology, coz this a tech board
>>
>>61284036
>>61284044
Why should I spend hours installing Visual Studio to have a zip command when I can spend hours installing Linux and have a zip command, the tar command for better compression, my favorite text editor, and the knowledge that Microsoft won't be reading the short stories I'm writing?

[spoiler]Not that it matters, since Intel fucking screwed everyone with IME.[/spoiler]
>>
>>61284025
>why mess around with an OS that's hardly supported

>posted from a phone running Linux, using a router running Linux, to a network running Linux, on a website running Linux, and logged by a botnet running Linux

There's no objective reason to use Windows other than muh gaymen. It's hodge-podge of poo in the loo programming.

Windows won the OS war in the early 1990s. The only driving motivation behind its success now is the sheer inertia of consumers and software developers.
>>
>>61280881
people wants OSX or Windows. Manufacturers have to comply if they want $$$.
>>
Most people still believe free things are only free because they're garbage, and this definitely applies to software.

Linux is FREE and it still has less than 1 percent market share after 30 FUCKING YEARS
>>
>>61283614
>implying checksums are difficult to alter
>>
>>61284001
>running non-signed executables
Even free software projects provide digitally signed executables.
>>
>>61284072
The rest of the world disagrees with you. Guess whose "objective" assessment isn't objective at all, but utterly skewed by their rampant freetardism?
>>
>>61284167
>normies are intelligent people who make good decisions about how to spend their money
There are a large number of TV marketing execs laughing their asses off at you right now, Anon--and you can have a picture of it for three easy payments of $5.99!
>>
>>61284120
How the fuck are you going to fake a checksum. Jesus, you Windows shills are retarded.
>>
File: Microsoft tech support.jpg (44KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft tech support.jpg
44KB, 624x351px
>>61284167
>it's popular, so it must be good

I'm sure the marketing, early indoctrination, and software cartels don't influence consumers at all..
>>
>>61284202
>maliciously alter the package
>compute checksum
>compromise site, alter checksums and package
>people downloads modified packages, they get silently infected
>>
>>61284176
>being this mad the masses can't be scammed int basing their identity on using an "alternative" OS.
>>
>>61284219
>compromise site, alter checksums and package
>compromise site, alter...package
So you're saying that your argument only works if you already have the ability to modify the package they're getting in the first place.

>>61284248
How is it a scam? Unless you're talking about buying Red Hat.
>>
File: 1499522642537.jpg (42KB, 306x344px) Image search: [Google]
1499522642537.jpg
42KB, 306x344px
>>61284054
Or you can NOT be autistic and use 7-zip, which takes about 1 minute to install...
>>
>>61284262
Fair enough, but why would the built-in zip utility that *comes with Windows* not have a command for it unless you install VS?
>>
>>61284261
You're desperately trying to scam. That makes it a scam.
>>
>>61284219
>j-just hack into the website and change the checksum

S U M M E R
U
M
M
E
R
>>
>>61280881
a lot of chinks just sell them without any OS if they can't get Windows or are selling super cheap budget machines.
>>
>>61284277
Because most users aren't raging autists, and use the graphical menu to do it. You just pick the files, right click, and compress.

Are you seriously asking why people prefer a menu to text commands in 2017, or are you that stupid? ...
>>
>>61284279
>no means of making money off of it
>more features
>not spying on you
>"it's a scam, you're scamming me, I can tell by the pixels"

>>61284294
Nigga you try zipping the same folder over and over to deploy to a remote device. Or to make a stable-release download for your github.
>>
>>61284294
>implying linux distros don't have unzip installed by default
>>
>>61284277
SETENV

SET fucking ENV
>>
>>61284336
I am intrigued, Anon. Tell me more. Is the zip command removed somehow, or did they just not bother adding it to $PATH?
>>
>>61284326
Just fucking install 7-zip on the computers you manage then.

You're complaining about an issue you can fix in a minute, and whining that people should switch to an entirely different OS because Microsoft correctly assumes mosf people don't use the command line utilities.

Like if you want to pretend you're competent, don't whine about extremely easy to fix issues, especially since you're the one advocating the "FreeDum OS with muh customizationz"
>>
>linux pre-installed
nah, windows is better
>>
>>61281847
>>61283577

>wanting stupid wifes
>>
>>61284326
Trying to convince people to use terrible software in an attempt to use market share to validate your piss-poor choices is a scam.
>>
>>61284355
Windows is not text based. They didn't remove anything, the DOS emulator that is still installed with windows have very little functionalities by design and yeah, most of the applications installed or that you will install will not bother add themselves to the PATH variable. You can do it yourself via the DOS emulator terminal or graphically in the Control Panel. However, fewer and fewer software on windows are designed to be used/operated via command line. If you want to operate your computer via terminal, don't use Windows. Worst case scenario, install Cygwin.
>>
>>61280881
Normies can't handle linux in most situations.

99.9% of the population is mentally retarded if you haven't noticed. I mean for example look at all of the mac fags on /g/, buying overpriced shitty locked down systems and claiming superiority.
>>
>>61280881

GNU/Linux will never be mainstream. Every distro including noobuntu will eventually require a little technical knowledge to maintain it or it will break. And when it breaks there's no tech support you can call. No business will support open source software because there's nothing proprietary about it.

The only chance of a mainstream linux distro is a closed source proprietary linux based system like android, with closed source drivers. When that eventually happens (it will) it'll be the worst of windows and the worst of linux combined. Telemetry, proprietary, no root user, shit tier support.
>>
>>61280881
Because you can't even disable mouse acceleration in Linux.
>>
>>61284520
REE DELET THIS
>>
File: NSA.jpg (53KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
NSA.jpg
53KB, 420x420px
>>61284511
>no business will support open source software because there's nothing proprietary about it

Go back to /v/
>>
>>61284511
>and when it breaks there's no tech support to call

You can't call Windows when your shit breaks. This is the most retarded argument I've ever heard. When windows breaks, you either pay some idiot like you with an A+ cert to recover your drive or you reinstall it yourself. In any case, Linux is far more stable than Windows.

>will eventually require a little technical knowledge to maintain it

wut? You hit update and it updates. When you want to install something, you search the repo and hit install.

Whenever one of my family members has a problem with their computers, I install Mint or Ubuntu and their preferred browser. I never hear from them again. I don't have to worry with viruses because they can't install ParisHiltonSexTape.exe. I don't have to worry about the damn thing freezing during updates because Windows requires you to stop everything you're doing during every update.
>>
>>61284607
>Linux is far more stable than Windows.
Not the guy you're talking to but that is wrong as hell. Linux always ALWAYS breaks.
>>
>>61284639
>Linux always breaks

Yeah, that's why Linux is run on everything from ATM to network switches, because it's inherently unstable.

Don't be such a dunce.
>>
>>61284555
>implying that was an argument for proprietary software
are you thick

>>61284607
>You can't call Windows when your shit breaks. This is the most retarded argument I've ever heard.

argument for what? did you read the fucking OP? When a windows PC breaks normies call the laptop manufacturer, who they purchased a windows license from.

>Whenever one of my family members has a problem with their computers, I install Mint or Ubuntu and their preferred browser. I never hear from them again.

congrats, your family is buying shit on amazon with they personal info on an insecure and outdated browser and OS.
>>
>>61280881
they do in my country. everybody buys the cheaper linux laptops and installs winodws on top of it
>>
>>61284749
It's stable when you maintain it obviously. You missed the point.
>>
>>61284401
>implying degree means smart
>>
>>61284763
>when a windows pc breaks normies call the laptop manufacturer

Laptop manufacturers don't offer tech support for Windows. Nor does Windows. The most help you'll get is their inept forum full of soccer moms. If that is your idea of tech support, Linux is far superior.

>outdated browser and OS

Linux updates just as fast as Windows. If security is your concern, it's far safer to deprive them of the ability to download random executables.

Learn to conjugate pronouns while you're at it, Jamal.
>>
>>61284767
Everything is stable when you maintain it. If we're talking about maintenance, Linux requires far less maintenance.
>>
>>61284801
I'm under the assumption we're still talking about the desktop OS.

True normies will break a windows install and have to do the recovery that comes pre-baked with whatever shitter prebuilt they buy. They will get support, it will be a phone call saying "boot into recovery, blah blah blah.".

If a normie uses linux and it breaks they're fucked. Either way we can agree to disagree.
>>
>>61284837
>if a normie uses Linux and it breaks, they're fucked

How? You can just use a recovery tool to dd your files out and then reinstall. The main problem with Linux has traditionally been driver support. This wouldn't be a problem if manufacturers were the ones doing the install. It would be trivial to make sure the install has all the necessary drivers.
>>
>>61284036
>>61284044
Windows in general takes me less than 10 minutes to install. SSD, lad
>>
>>61284903
>he doesn't image his drives
>>
>>61284791
>Laptop manufacturers don't offer tech support for Windows.
have you never fucking owned a laptop with a warranty? I've witnessed HP tech support sitting on the phone for 2 hours walking my roommate through a basic windows re-installation.

>>61284791
>Linux updates just as fast as Windows

sounds to me like YOU'RE the one defending windows. my arch installation takes at most a few min to upgrade 300+ packages during a fresh install. windows can literally take up to 45 min.

why is it every fucking conversation on this board has to devolve into X vs Y. Go ahead a re-read this entire thread there is no one here defending windows. I have the lowest opinion of windows over anyone on this board.

update they software, pajeet
>>
File: faintinggoats.gif (827KB, 320x206px) Image search: [Google]
faintinggoats.gif
827KB, 320x206px
Because of dumbshits like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>>61284953
>If power cycling it doesn't fix the issue, reinstall the OS

That's not substantive tech support. The tech drone regurgitating that "support" could easily offer the same level of "support" for a Linux install.

The entire argument was that nobody will offer support for a Linux install. I don't see any obstacle to this.
>>
>>61284998
too easy to break then. rationalize an argument against that.
>>
>>61285025
The mainstream distros are far more stable than windows. Meme distros like Arch and Gentoo are intentionally unstable.
>>
Interesting, I was recently researching the purchase of laptops with Linux pre-installed.

It was because of lingering annoyance with Windows 10 telemetry and perceived lack of privacy - I wanted to own and control my PC entirely.

I also hoped they would be cheaper than equivalently specced Windows machines.

What I found was that there are quite a few companies out there that make Linux laptops, but:

- They are NOT cheaper than equivalently specced Windows machines. Far from it

- Most are aimed at a particular sector: education or software development. There are a few that seemed to be aimed squarely at privacy nerds (websites bragged about Libreboot, etc)
>>
OP doesn't know what capitalism is.

Kids should be asleep.
>>
>>61280881
my dad's office got their employees laptops with ubuntu pre-installed they hired an it guy who installed pirated windows and pirated office on all laptop kek
>>
>>61281197
Nice meme
>>61281266
Still better than Winblows
>>61283288
>Linux doesn't work for normies. The end. They've tried it before. It didn't work.
/thread
>>
>>61284219
Dunning-kruger in action.

If you have no clue what you are talking about, do not talk.
>>
>>61284036
I just updated a 2008 Dell C2D laptop from 7 to 10 which took under 20 minutes, even saving all the old files.
>>
>>61280881
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>>61283718
>Google is 1000x better
How is Google preventing you from searching for Linux software?

The only difference is, that after finding what you need you don't have to suffer through multiple websites to find the one which is not a scam. You can just install it from the repo.

You have to understand that a package manager just gives you an easy and direct way to install something, without any risk of getting infected.
You can still download programs for Linux from websites and install them that way, just like on Windows.
>>
>>61284167
>rest of the world disagrees with you
They don't.

That's why Linux is literally everywhere.
>>
>>61285503
Then get a loan and start up a company selling Linux machines. It won't work. There's a reason computers are sold on ebay as "No OS" when they don't have Windows rather than throwing Linux on them. Linux actually decreases the value over a bare drive.
>>
linux fundamentally just doesn't work out of the box more often than not

it's too time consuming and difficult to ever become "standard"
>>
>>61285544
Are you retarded?

You should look up how many servers are running Linux.
And then realize that there is a giant industry behind supporting these servers.

Then look at smartphones and realize that a giant market of smartphones running an OS based on Linux exists.

You can not tell me that something that is unpopular has such a giant industry behind it...
>>
>>61285590
>muh server
Go away you flaming freetard.
>>
>>61285590
Server != PC
>>
>>61285615
Nice argument, you idiot.

You don't have more then the slightest clue about computers.
Dunning-kruger in full effect.

Maybe get out of your bumble and learn a bit about technology. You would realize how immensely popular Linux is outside personal computing.
>>
>>61285646
Retard.

Even on the smartphone market (which is essentially Personal computing) the Linux derivative dominates the market especially compared to Windows.
>>
>>61285660
You were told to leave.
>>
>>61285680
Make me.

Maybe the technology illiterate should leave and only come back after they learned a little bit about technology and realized that Linux is immensely popular outside their pretty little bubble?
>>
>>61285675
Yes, but we're talking about laptops here. Smartphone operating systems are tailored to work with only that single piece of hardware and only support a small subset of programs/languages.
>>
>>61285707
And on top of that, it's being developed by a fuckhuge corporate backing.
>>
>>61285707
>Smartphone operating systems are tailored to work with only that single piece of hardware
You have no clue what you are talking about.
Absolutely none.

>only support a small subset of programs/languages.
What is the Google play store?

>it's being developed by a fuckhuge corporate backing.
Exactly.
It is extremely popular and uses the Linux kernel.
>>
>>>61280954
>you'd be surprised how many people in China can afford expensive stuff, they just wont spend money on a laptop unless they need one

I read the other day that the Chinese buy more luxury items than Americans nowadays
>>
>>61285696
>thread about laptops
>B...BUT MUH SERVER
Fucking 70 IQ freetards.
>>
>>61285730
>Exactly.
>It is extremely popular and uses the Linux kernel.
Yes, and why isn't it working on PC's then?
>>
>>61285743
Just leave.

We both know that you are wrong and out of arguments.
>>
>>61285590
There's always one in every thread...
>>
>>61285749
>Yes, and why isn't it working on PC's then?
What exactly is not working on PCs?
Android x86 is and so is Linux.

People just don't like change and teaching a normie to use a different OS is impossible.
That's why Windows is popular.
>>
>>61285753
>deflecting this hard
You were BTFO. Just leave. You use Linux so you had no pride to begin with.
>>
>>61285767
I meant why isn't Linux getting popular on laptops then
>>
>>61285767
>DON'T YOU SEE EVERYONE USES LINUX?
>NOBODY USES LINUX BECAUSE TEACHING NEW OS IS HARD!
Fucking freetard shills.
>>
Imagine being customer service and having to deal with autistic linux retards about the exact type of distro.
>>
>>61285776
I told you.

People hate change. Especially drastic change.
>>
>>61285770
>>deflecting this hard
From what am I deflecting?

You still don't have provided ANY argument (aside from shifting the goal post a couple of times).
>>
>>61284219
>compromise microsoft update service
>maliciously alter an update
>people download (automagically) modified update, they get infected
Welcome to 4chan, Norman Summerfriendo. You'll like it here.
>>
>>61285839
>thread about laptops
>B...BUT MUH SERVER
Fucking 70 IQ freetards.
>>
>>61285785
Idiot.
People use Linux on smartphones and indirectly through servers.
>>
>>61285846
Stop shifting the goal post.

Your logical fallacies are not an argument.
>>
>>61285842
The difference is anyone can make their own Linux distro and run their own repo. You could probably buy most distros for a couple grand.
>>
>>61285861
>thread about laptops
>B...BUT MUH SERVER
Every time.
Fucking 70 IQ freetards.
>>
>>61285882
Stop trying to have the last word to feel like you "won".

You have no argument, we both know that.
>>
>>61285893
>thread about laptops
>B...BUT MUH SERVER
Every time.
Fucking 70 IQ freetards.
>>
>>61280881
There are tons of Linux laptops, what are you talking about? Some even offer Linux exclusively.
>>
>>61285904
I am starting to feel I am not the one with a 70 IQ
>>
>>61285918
>thread about laptops
>B...BUT MUH SERVER
Every time.
Fucking 70 IQ freetards.
>>
>>61280881
Get into a store and find out for yourself. Neither normies nor sellers know about Linux, the first wouldn't try it, the latter wouldn't recommend it.

They'll just go with what they know, and it'll be Windows or Mac.
>>
>>61283505

Nigga, they have windows update, and windows store repos

Your whining has been moot for over a decade now
>>
>>61286276
>windows store repos

Novody uses them. Enjoy your TrumpTaxaReturns.pdf.exe
>>
>>61286300

Fuck off you illiterate lintard
>>
>>61286480
>lintard

You Indians never had much of an imagination.
>>
>>61280954
>im not sure if most chinese people can afford a laptop
China has one of the most rapidly growing middle classes in the world, tens of millions of people are suddenly getting access to disposable income and they aren't afraid to spend it.
>>
Getting a bit tired from all this 'Linux is unstable' shit.
Latest Win10 Creators Update broke my color profiles so if I wanted to edit a CMYK image in Photoshop - all my colors were dull and almost black & white. This shit made me lose at least a day of productive work because I couldn't see colors properly (and that's very important when you work with print). I had to manually reinstall all my .icc profiles. So here's Windows stability for ya. Shit like that never happened on Ubuntu.
>>
>>61287017
Smart people use Enterprise LTSB, not beta test OS for Microsoft.
>>
>>61280881
xiaomi
>>
>>61287175
>xiaomeme
>>
>>61283590
>press GNOME SOFTWARE bag
>choose program you want
>press INSTALL
>>
>>61283698
Very good point my friend, I'm in agreement with you, however I work for DELL and I can tell you we do make and modify software, but it's not for commercial systems (servers mainly)
>>
>>61283596
and the shove a LTSB win 10 version on it.
>>
>>61287164
As always with Microshits, we, the user are doing it wrong. We were the one stupid enough to install thier new flagship OS on our systems and we are too noob to use the ultra leet version of windows that they all use and noone has ever heard of. Fuck off Windows.
>>
>>61280881
China tried to use Linux when they first allowed pc sales in the country to stop Microsoft Windows from becoming dominant as it is everywhere else. Linux was still garbage and Windows completely won the market in a few years, even with Linux getting a head start.
>>
>>61283590
>Thanks, but I feel better downloading cryptographically signed installers directly from the developer.
But that's what a package manager does, you retard. Only you can do it instantly by typing two words and the names of the programs you want, instead of having to open up a browser and search their webpage for the link to the installer for each program so you can download and then run everything.

>requires you to know the name of the package
You have a problem remembering the names of your favorite software? Do you search Google before downloading chrome, or steam, or your favourite torrent client?
Did you never learn how to use any other command besides "install" in your package manager? There's one called "search" you know?

>out of date packages
You're too retarded to read up on how a distro manages it's repos before installing it. And too retarded to configure the package manager as you want it to be. That's all you're telling us.

>breaking your entire install
You know what's funny? Linux has some real issues, but those you posted are all easily recognizable as "winbabby's extra chromosomes prevents him from reading" kind of problems.

Enjoy your obsolete OS that is being kept alive only by inertia and millennial gaymur kiddies.
>>
>>61283288
Only normal people use the term "normies".
>>
>>61289286
>only normies call people normies

what are you on, son
>>
>>61289285
>You have a problem remembering the names of your favorite software?
Do you have any idea just how much software there is for Windows? No, I don't keep the top 1000 games of 1999 stored in my head. I may want to play them, though.
>>
>>61281102
Huh, there's a surprise. Dell used to be the kingfuck of shit mountain, but this is impressive.
>>
>>61284783
> Implying women are innately stupid
>>
>>61289392
>this faggot doesn't know about wine
>>
>>61287239
Get outdated version because random neckbeard hasn't bothered to repackage it for your distro yet, while installer files for mac and windows work on every computer. With linux your computer is a neutered tablet that loses 90% of functionality when not connected to the internet.
>>
>>61289470
The only software I have that stops working when I disconnect is my package manager, Steam, and my web browsers.

You try googling for software when you're offline, retard. Windows isn't fucking magic.
>>
>>61289412
We're talking about the stupidity of package managers, moron.
>>
>>61289500
You can download installers from other PCs.
>>
>>61289313
Not him but liking computers and being antisocial doesn't make you an alien. That's just 4chan's special snowflake mentality.
And no, no one here has real autism of any degree.
>>
>>61289395
Actually even when Dell kind of sucked, they always had Linux options. Now that they're private again they're kicking ass.
>>
>>61289500
But on Windows the decent software already exists, no need to go searching online for stuff when photoshop, office, etc. fill a thousond more roles out of the box than gimp, libre office, etc.
>>
>>61289501
Yeah, and your big point has been that there's soooo many things that only work for windows.

Except that you can run just about every single one of "the top 1000 games of 1999" via a program called wine. Hell, some of them have ports that run natively.

>>61289521
>How do you get software when you're offline?
>"connect to another PC lol"
You're offline in this example, wintard. No internet connection. Yeah, you could use a flash drive--but then your installer tries to download from the internet, and fails. Or, of course, you copy the whole program folder over, and miss a dozen .dll files while the program refuses to work because your corporate overlords want to be absolutely sure you paid for it.

>>61289541
No, being able to think freely makes me an alien. Have you tried talking about politics lately? Even on chans, it's all bullshittery over muh fan clubs. Nobody bothers to think about how maybe we should stop trusting these people who make big promises and SWEAR they aren't corrupt, no sir, anybody who points out that Trump is jewish must be a lefty shill.
>>
>>61280881
dell offers linux laptops, are you dumb
>>
>>61289392
>>61289501
There are many ways to search for packages in case you forgot what their names where, anon.
There's the search command, where you type keywords and the package manager return any packages that have it in their names or in their description.
There are webpages where you can search for what you want.
And there are a number of graphical programs that give you a list of all the programs in your repos, divided by categories and there's a search function there too.
You don't need to remember package names. You're just inventing ( and exaggerating ) an issue that doesn't exist and trying to convince us it's real.
>>
>>61280881
as much as i love linux, linux is really unstable. it is not useable for the average consumer
>>
>>61289586
>You're offline in this example, wintard. No internet connection. Yeah, you could use a flash drive--but then your installer tries to download from the internet, and fails. Or, of course, you copy the whole program folder over, and miss a dozen .dll files while the program refuses to work because your corporate overlords want to be absolutely sure you paid for it.

Then just stop stealing software, problem solved freetard.
>>
>>61289586
No, the point was that package managers only seem to work for Linux because you have no fucking software. "install Firefox" "install mpv" "install libreoffice" "install 7zip" done. Now try to do that for the Windows ecosystem. You can do ANYTHING on Windows, and there are 100 pieces of software to do it. The lack of a package manager isn't a downside to Windows since nobody could properly curate one. It does nothing but add a MitM.
I'll get an installer straight from the dev, I don't need the GRU telling me what they've helpfully laid out for me.
>>
>>61280954
The number of Ph.D.s in China is the same as of the college students in the U.S.
>>
Microsoft offers dirt cheap windows oem to dell, hp, asus etc
>>
>>61281005
Dell xps with Ubuntu costs more than the Windows version. Can you believe that shit?
>>
>>61289688
You're the one who suggested grabbing an installation from another computer, faggot.

>>61289521
>You can download installers from other PCs.

This WILL cause DRM to activate, assuming this is one of your precious PC-only games.

>>61289825
>Install a hundred packages on Linux by typing a single command with a hundred names (or by using the powerful shell scripting system to send a list of packages from a text file to the package installer)

>install a hundred packages on Windows by opening IE, googling the package, skipping the malware-infested ads, locating the download button that isn't a malicious advertisement, double-clicking the installer, then repeating a hundred times (plus another two hundred for dependencies)
???
>>
>>61290204
convenience fee, get used to it
>>
File: burger slave cucks.png (21KB, 1009x139px) Image search: [Google]
burger slave cucks.png
21KB, 1009x139px
>>61280881
in the EU you can get linux freedos etc...
>>
>>61281957
>user unfriendly 50 step installation process
You mean sudo apt install [package], type in your password, and sometimes type "y" and press the enter key? I see about 3 steps, far simpler than downloading and running an installer from the Internet, not to mention the better security.
>>
I have 1,445 packages installed on my system right now, including alternatives to the built-in command line and the built-in window manager, dependencies that automatically update for everything I have installed, a number of text editors that blow everything Windows has out of the water, two different image editors that cost me absolutely nothing (lol who needs photoshop), programming tools, a game engine for gamedev, two different web browsers, and Steam for muh normie gaems. I also have native-linux ports of Doom and Quake, a couple of Quake3-alikes, and multiple roguelikes, if I feel like playing something old-school. When I want to update everything, I just run a single command which grabs new versions of all the things I need and installs them for me, compiling from source code when necessary; if I really wanted, I could set up a script that does this automatically once a night.

Winfag BTFO.
>>
>>61290275
>You're the one who suggested grabbing an installation from another computer, faggot.

I didn't, but apparently you've been on Linux so long that you forgot that single file installers can just be copied to usb drives and cd roms (and actually work offline without dependency/package manager bullshit)
>>
>>61291724
Name one Windows-only program that uses a single file installer and won't run through wine.
>>
>>61291240

OP:
>Anyone knows why manufacturer don't offer laptops with linux pre-installed?

You
>MUH PACKAGES
>WINFAGS BTFO
>>
>>61291240
How many years did it take you to complete that stable desktop system?

How many months will it take you before it is stable again after you install a tiny update? A new program?
>>
>>61280881
Because consumers are too stupid to realize that they won't get to use all of their favorite garbage programs like iNoise and Overrated Office.

>how do I install solitaire and minesweeper?
>how come this doesn't do the updates for me?
>what's this Lennox thing they keep talking about?
>>
File: 1476870089914.png (177KB, 298x360px) Image search: [Google]
1476870089914.png
177KB, 298x360px
>>61280881
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Freedom respecting hardware and devices with GNU/Linux preinstalled:
https://minifree.org/
https://tehnoetic.com/
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/
http://www.libiquity.com/
https://vikings.net/
>>
>>61280954
Back in the day, Microsoft actually prohibited machines from being sold without it. They had to be taken to court twice just to fix that one.
>>
>>61283358
>decent level bait
>>
>>61280881
https://www.geek.com/news/dell-laptop-with-ubuntu-leads-woman-to-drop-out-of-college-672161/
>>
>>61291893
>Overrated Office

spotted the unemployed
>>
>>61291895
kek
>>
>>61290489
Whoa there sonny boy. I don't see the part where an install wizard has me hit next, installs the Yahoo toolbar and and changes my homepage to Conduit, and asks if I want to run the program.
>>
>>61283718
Do they pay you to shill this hard?
>>
>>61280881

because it is dangerous and can ruin people's education

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>>61291947
Apparently I need to pay Microsoft to do work. I'll keep that in mind next time I fix a computer.
>>
>>61291987
I was being gentle so I left out dodging the malware
>>
>>61284749
The kernel and a lot of server side programs are fine because massive companies maintain most of it. Nobody cares about desktop Linux, even Redhat has mostly given up on it, and the code behind the major desktop environments and most applications is ridiculously awful.
>>
>>61291748
Since practically all windows software uses 1 file installers, just search through WineDB for programs with a rating of "Garbage". Thousands, unless you're only running the most popular software on Wine, it probably won't work.
>>
>>61292490
Most of the programs that have perfect ratings also have massive problems that freetards like to ignore. Platinum rating basically means that it will occasionally start.
>>
People saying GNU/Linux is unstable must be running an obscure distro or something.

Ubuntu LTS is rock solid, and suitable for desktop usage. As long as you don't rely on MS Office, LibreOffice does it's job right. Besides, most of the things normies use are done via a browser.
>>
nobody wants a bad OS like Linux when a just-works OS already exists called Windows.
>>
>>61291831
Took me a month to have everything I wanted. The most unstable it's even been was when some faggot did something stupid with one of the audio backends, and I just switched to another one.
>>
>>61283577
>>61285738
>>61286644
>>61290086
t. subhuman gooks
Go back to your chink shithole, fish heads.
>>
>>61284520
xset m 0 0
>>
>>61280881
yeah because 99% of people don't want it
>>
>>61280881
Because Microsoft pays them to not to
>>
>>61293901
>not accepting the truth
>back to your cave NOW
>>
>>61293901

lol. go to any big city (NYC, LA, Madrid, Paris, etc) and you see Chinese tourists carrying shit tons of luxury brand bags. They buy a lot of Gucci, Michael Kors, Prada, etc.

They have a massive boom right now.
>>
>>61290383
>Install linux
>Free license
>Charge more

>Install windows
>Need to pay microsoft for license
>Need to activate 3 months of antivirus from Norton or whatever
>Charge less

There's a point where things become true bullshit, and this is it.
>>
> Normies can't Linux
Nigger I can't handle Windows let alone normies. 95% of the population can't handle windows, or fix it when it breaks or trouble shoot or understand how it works nor how to properly use it so I have no idea wtf you're all on about.
>>
>>61290204
Yes. They need to pay developers to fix the shitty Linux drivers and patch tons of other bullshit.
>>
>>61280881
There is no demand.
If customers were standing in line, demanding Linux laptops, with dollars in hand there would be pressure for them to fill the gap.
But seeing as Linux has only 2% of the desktop market nobody wants to go to all the expense of making a distro work with their laptop hardware.
It would inevitably be the wrong distro anyway.
>>
>>61290204
It doesn't. They just only offer windows 10 on the lowest spec model. If you configure them with the same hardware, the ubuntu version is $50 cheaper than 10 home or $100 cheaper than 10 pro
>>
> Normies can't Linux
Linux is easier than Windows, problem is it breaks half the time. No I don't give a fuck if it works on your machine. Even the Ubuntu install had errors on my PC. Linux is far better laid out and even the terminal is easier to use than the Windows clusterfuck these days, but it still breaks too often.

Manufacturers don't want to sell shit that's going to break. Way too much time is spent by consumers calling Dell etc about dumb shit like their "broken" PC because they couldn't figure out the switch was off at the wall. It'll only be worse if they put Linux on there.
>>
>>61298995
>Even the Ubuntu install had errors on my PC.
This thread is about preloads. Fake and gay argument
>Manufacturers don't want to sell shit that's going to break.
You're hilarious, Rajesh.
The only real problem is that people expect PCs to run PC software flawlessly, and the desktop software ecosystem for GNU/Linux is underdeveloped and not exactly of production quality in some cases.
Solution: Android netbooks with decent hardware
>>
>>61299037
>This thread is about preloads. Fake and gay argument
The point is that even the install on the "it just werks" meme distro can have problems.

Linux is free so there's no guarantee if you install it yourself, but when people buy something they expect better. Of course a company wants reliable software that's not going to break on their machine. Imagine a normie updates his Dell and a bunch of shit breaks on the update. It reflects badly on the company.

This isn't freedum faggotry territory, when you are dealing with retail devices with warranties and guarantees companies don't want loonix, an OS you have to google freeware forums to find solutions to problems on.
>>
>>61298346
Drivers.
Thread posts: 221
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.