[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arch Forum.. pic related >Closing >Locked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: wp_ss_20170708_0003 (2).png (144KB, 720x663px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170708_0003 (2).png
144KB, 720x663px
Arch Forum.. pic related
>Closing
>Locked
>>
>>61274732
What did you expect from the Arch community? It's toxic.
>>
File: well_I_you_know....png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
well_I_you_know....png
12KB, 560x407px
This is par for the course for UBB boards.

Most have this rule.
>>
Necroposting was always a dumb rule

Why not continue an old discussion if it was relevant?
>>
>>61274815
this
>>
>>61274732
I understand where you're coming from, but they do this in an attempt to keep current issues at the top of the forums. If you have the same issue as someone in an old post, simply create a new post. This way, people don't have to dig through ancient posts to get help with a current issue.Do you see how that makes sense? If you recieve help and a resolution, the wiki is more likely to be updated with the fix, too.
>>
>>61274815
Because old discussions are never relevant. Technology, and GNU/Linux in particular, is constantly changing. Something that was appropriate even a month ago could be already deprecated.
>>
>>61274892
Yeah but the websites that ban necroposting also ban duplicate threads, so either way youre fucked.
>>
>>61274898
that especially would be reason enough to prevent people from making new threads with fixed issues
after all if you have issue x 2 years ago and there is a thread with a fix
if now you have this issue today but because of the ever changing field the old fix doesn't work you can say that and ask there for a new fix
this way if other people have the same problem they will not stumble over an old non working fix but a thread that contains a fix for the old and the current version
else youĺl end up with people either using old not working fixes or just fill your forum with garbage new threads
>>
>>61274898
"Could be" is the key here. There are still relevant threads and making dupes just seems pointless if it's the exact same topic/issue
>>
>>61274967
OP's crying about Arch in particular, which is a rolling release. It's completely pointless to bump an old discussion with a rolling release because everything changes so rapidly. The mods for the forums could put forth a little effort to get this through peoples thick skulls and save everyone a lot of grief. Instead they choose to come off as jerks.
>>
File: 9e7.gif (826B, 120x160px) Image search: [Google]
9e7.gif
826B, 120x160px
>make thread about issue
>>there's already a thread use the search, locked
>post in the existing thread
>>no necroposting, locked
>>
>>61274815
Forum admin here. I made a lot of useless rules just so I could use admin powers more.
>>
>find a thread where OP is having the same issue as you 1:1
>OP clearly knows more than the people trying to help him
>they get mad when OP doesn't listen to their awful, redundant advice and the discussion dies off or the thread gets locked
I see this too often.
>>
File: literallyyou.jpg (32KB, 338x200px) Image search: [Google]
literallyyou.jpg
32KB, 338x200px
>>61275764
>>
>>61274898
t. Arch User

Did you know that some distributions test software and make sure it doesn't have strange interactions with common programs?
>>
>>61275805
I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't understand what you're trying to say.
>>
>>61275835
Certainly, and did you know that some distributions give you the latest features? You people act as though Upstream go out of their way to break things with every release. It's not true. In fact, over the last few years, they've become pretty good at releasing "just werks".
>>
>>61274815
It is. The only good reason for it is that OP may not be around anymore and neither any other poster in that thread, thus creating confusion. A new thread is a cleaner option, but makes things difficult when looking for a problem in 20 different threads with 90% with no solution
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.