[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can Word and Libreoffice manlets compete?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: latex-logo.jpg (23KB, 500x215px) Image search: [Google]
latex-logo.jpg
23KB, 500x215px
How can Word and Libreoffice manlets compete?
>>
File: 1496806838411.jpg (75KB, 664x675px) Image search: [Google]
1496806838411.jpg
75KB, 664x675px
>>61273737
It's not as good if all you need to do is write an email or a short essay. For something that simple you might as well just use Word or Libre. Where LaTeX truly shines is when you need to include equations, tables, ordered lists, or an extensive bibliography in your writing. Luke Smith has a great youtube video tutorial series on LaTeX that highlights some of it's best features. I highly recommend it to any beginner.
>>
>>61273786
I use it for everything mainly so I can type documents in vim and have them compile to legible PDFs desu because I find vim to be faster
>>
>>61273824
Same, but only because I have my templates ready to go so I can write anything I want in a heartbeat. I still wouldn't recommend it for that sort of thing to a beginner or some office normie though.
>>
Get on my level pleg
>>
>LaTeX
deprecated shit
>>
>>61273920
Replaced by?
>>
>>61273924
XeTeX, LuaTeX, etc.
>>
>>61273935
Okay.
>>
Running it on Windows is such headache and for majority of case Markdown with LaTeX equation blocks is enough.
>>
>>61273737
They can't.
>>
>>61273944
Are you kidding me, use texworks, has a built-in package manager
>>
Easy: WYSIWYG. That's something Latex cannot offer, and that your average guy thirsts after.
As for me: If there was a document class for letters, I'd use Latex for them, but there is none.

Using any kind of office suite for scientific work is fucking retarded, though.
>>
They don't need to; they have jobs and are making way more money than you ever will.

Looking nice will get you a point or two but what matters is the content of whatever it is you're writing.
>>
>>61276254
>caring what normies want
Yes, for math and science LaTeX is god tier, but if you've ever had to submit a manuscript or do anything with a strict formatting regime, it's also god tier.

There's a reason the Supreme Court uses it for its legal opinions and it has nothing to do with math formulas.
>>
>>61273786
Who writes emails in office?
>>
>>61273786
>It's not as good if all you need to do is write an email or a short essay.
how is it "not as good"? If all you need to do is write a short essay then you don't need any extra packages and it's basically like ~4 lines of commands. Who is going to write emails in word anyway?
>>
They can't.
Currently writing my engineering thesis using it, pretty comfy.
>>
>>61273737
What font is that?
>>
File: 1499542882970.gif (3MB, 360x160px) Image search: [Google]
1499542882970.gif
3MB, 360x160px
>>61279178
It's in LATEX
>>
>>61278229
Outlook is part of the Office suite, everyone with an annual salary in hundreds higher than their beard length in mm uses Outlook
>>
>>61279397
I don't want to download software just for the name of a font, I just want to use it in another text editor.
>>
>>61279519
You can't, because it's in a TeX-specific format and none of the attempts at recreating it have come even remotely close to carrying over the kerning and spacing rules which are what you really want. You're not going to be using it in a pure vector-rendered environment either, probably, which is another strike.
>>
>>61276254
>As for me: If there was a document class for letters, I'd use Latex for them, but there is none.
It's literally called letter
>>
LMAO grantcucks, nobody whose work actually turns a profit uses garbage like this.

>>61279519
Computer Modern
>>
>>61279587
I didn't need the special kerning, I just wanted it for function names.
>>61279694
Thanks
>>
>>61279762
without that shit you may as well literally Times New Roman. it's what makes it look different.
>>
>>61279645
Fuck, you are right, and there is even scrlttr2 to take care of those little shits with window. Thank You.
Guess a few more people will get into contact with Latex created documents in the near future.
>>
>>61276254
WYSIWYG has drawbacks too, depending too much on seeing exactly what you'll get makes a document inflexible if you want to present it across many different mediums. In those cases, WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) is much more valuable because you can focus on perfecting the content and leave the presentation to possibly multiple "stylesheets" for each medium.

There's still way too many websites that completely break if you have too small/large a screen because the author tried to "perfect" how it looked without thinking past their own setup.

LyX offers WYSIWYM for LaTeX: https://www.lyx.org/

WYSIWYG is great for many applications but it's definitely overhyped for many others, the web being the most common example. My own recent experience is with very technical documents that suffered from inconsistencies and have basically become unmaintainable due to relying on proprietary WYSIWYG software. Technologies like LaTeX (though not LaTeX itself in that case) are wonderful for this kind of domain.
>>
>>61273737
>making a list in word
>hit a single button (see pic)

Easy. But can LaTeX compete?

>making a list in LaTeX
>\usepackage[enumitem]
>\renewcommand{\theenumi}{\Alph{enumi}}
>\begin{enumerate}[label=(\alph*)]
>\item A
>\end{enumerate}

Fuck no. I'm not typing a fucking novel to make a single bullet point.
>>
>>61281458
A lighter format like Markdown would be better than both of those. Use pandoc to convert it to LaTeX if you still want to use a LaTeX documentclass when making it a PDF.
>>
Latex is fucking shite and you're an autist for thinking otherwise
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.