[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed m8s?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: 1472864441867.png (80KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1472864441867.png
80KB, 2000x1433px
Thoughts on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed m8s?
>>
>>61256146
trash
>>
File: 1390396460841.png (13KB, 427x474px) Image search: [Google]
1390396460841.png
13KB, 427x474px
pic related

next question?
>>
>>61256146
Pretty nice once you set it up properly
>>
>>61256161
Yeah the installer seems fucking nice. I dig the idea of a rolling release but without the autistic management that comes with most of them.
>>
>>61256161
>once you set it up properly
I heard you can't update packages without GUI. Is this true? And they force bloat, and have no net installer, so impossible to do minimal install.
>>
>>61256182
None of that is true. The net installer is similar to the Fedora one except you can select exactly the packages you want. Zypper for package updating from console.
>>
>>61256182
What? zypp has a command line just like every other fucking package manager, in fact the CLI is the main update mechanism.

>no minimal
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_installation
>>
>>61256146
Trash.
It has a cool mascot, though.
>>
>>61256246
>Trash.
Nah don't worry with an explanation. It's fine.
>>
900 new packages every time software update is run (I think the default is once a day) seems a bit excessive for a rolling release. For example on my gentoo machines (stable+select few ~packages) which I run full world updates every other week, they only get around 20-30 packages to update in that time
>>
>>61256417
surely this is user controlled though?
>>
>>61256589
yeah, i could set it to update only once a week or possibly freeze some updates if I was going to keep using tumbleweed for longer (just installed it to test it out for few months), but the sheer amount of updates being pushed was one thing that struck me as odd.
>>
>>61256776
Does this mean that SUSE has more recent packages or was it just the fact that your SUSE install was much larger than your Gentoo install. I was planning to spend a while in the install and only pick the packages I need. Kind of like how you would with Arch or Gentoo but with a GUI
>>
idk these days but it was quite nice a 1-2 year back when i used it. i use debian these days though
>>
>>61256920
On suse box the base system is for sure much much larger, but on the other hand I've installed far fewer programs on top of that, so I don't think it's just that. One explanation could be that on Gentoo the newest packages spend about a month before they can get stamped stable which not only slows down that process but also prunes out some unnecessary updates, which in turn leads to a much more stable rolling base system. That of course is not true on those few packages that I have specifically requested to be more recent versions that get updated more frequently.

How much source vs binary distro plays into this I'm not sure, I know that gentoo has far larger variety of different combinations of versions of programs and libs that can be installed together because things get build against versions of libs that are installed, not just one version of program and one specific library it was build against that Yast offers
>>
Eradicating all the ugly branding was time consuming and seemed like Fedora with a bunch shit stitched in. Not a good experience.
>>
>>61257607
You can unselect the branding in the installer anon.
>>
>>61257591
Sweet thanks for your feedback. Not sure I'm too worried on stability as SUSE seems to have decent testing. Might get in the habit of making btrfs snapshots before updating though.
>>
>>61256146
Like Arch, breaks too often for regular use. It's for people who are autistic and think muh bleeding edge is somehow better.
>>
>>61257752
It actually does that automatically, btrfs snapshots before/after updates. The documentation on what's going on is a bit lacking however as I didn't even realize it was doing that until I started investigating the cause of random heavy disk activity
>>
>>61257897
>Bleeding edge is better if you're trying to achieve good IOMMU support on Ryzen like I am.
>>
>>61257933
Ignore the quote. Fucked that up.
>>
>>61257933
No, IOMMU support is better if you're trying to achieve good IOMMU support. That might currently only be available in bleeding edge distros, but there's nothing inherently better about bleeding edge. Especially if you value stability.
>>
>>61257900
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if it will do it automagically for me as I've stripped it back to not much more than you'd get installing arch or the like so as to build it up with only the components I find myself needing. Have you used OBS?
>>
>>61257962
That is true. However as I'm on Ryzen and would like to set up a Linux host, Windows guest system relatively soon the options I have are all bleeding edge. Fedora is probably the most stable option I have but the installer doesn't seem to allow you to configure the packages as thoroughly as SUSE so you can't just build your perfect system.
>>
>>61257966
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Snapper
>>
>>61258025
Thank you this should help a bunch.
>>
>>61256146
look for yourself
>>
>>61258200
lol I honestly can't imagine that that install wasn't already borked prior to the pic.
>>
>>61258243
it was, first opensuse installation didnt even boot, had to reinstall
>>
>>61258255
Have you verified the integrity of the image?
>>
>>61258266
i did it now using 7z, dunno how accurate it is but there are no errors
>>
>>61258294
Okay. That's really odd. Are you on windows?
>>
>>61256146
It's shit. Just like your life.
>>
>>61258325
yes, i installed opensuse in d:\program files\
>>
>>61258336
Not sure if trolling or not.
>>
>>61258331
Thanks buddy. Tell your mum I said hi.
>>
>>61258336
I was asking if it was in Virtualbox under windows. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
>>
>>61258609
it doesnt matter, host os has literally nothing to do with zypper trying to wipe my installation
>>
>>61258623
No I was just going to suggest you install this for checking hashes.
>>
>>61258643
http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

whoops forgot link
>>
>>61258651
too much work
>>
>>61256146
there is only one good rolling distro
/g/entoo
>>
>>61258704
Cbf with source but thanks for the input.
>>
>>61256146
it's the great distro nobody uses

that means you'll get a robust system but if something fails or you want to customize / install 3rd party software you're gonna have issues.

on the other hand if you absolutely want KDE this is the one to get.

if your autist fetsh is rolling releases try manjaro. it's the most """""""""stable""""""""".

If you want an actually stable system get obongo 16.04 or mint that is the same thing.
>>
What does it have over arch?
>>
>>61258949
Ubuntu and mint are trash. Mint is glacial, has random package breakage for no reason and has worse security than Windows. No thank you. Besides I need to be on the bleeding edge for a while.
>>
>>61259290
Commercial backing.
>>
>>61259300
source: your ass
>>
>>61259346
Source: fucking experience. If mint works for you that's fine but I'd rather not be running a couple of year old kernels and web browsers.
>>
>>61256146
I was using TW for over a year, then after an update no boot media could be found. Looked at the forums and couldn't find a lucid solution. Reinstalled everything, and still no dice. Now I'm running Fedora, and having no issues.
>>
>>61258949
Kubuntu ran better than OpenSUSE for me. Conversely, Gnome on OpenSUSE is second only to Fedora.

If only TW was stable I'd use the shit out of it. In my experience, Arch was significantly more stable than TW.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.