[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pascal is dead, or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: FPCLOGO.png (4KB, 133x63px) Image search: [Google]
FPCLOGO.png
4KB, 133x63px
Pascal is dead, or not?
>>
Pascal was never meant to be alive.
>>
>>61255835
Yes, for almost 3 and a half centuries
>>
Who cares if it's "dead" or not? This industry sucks precisely because of hipsters and retards that keep switching to more modern languages despite older languages working perfectly fine and being battle tested. Look at what happened in web development languages since the 90s:

Perl --> PHP --> Java --> Ruby --> Python --> Node.js

But ultimately we're doing the same shit we could be doing in Perl, just with a different syntax. Computer programming is the only place where this shit happens. Can you imagine a medical doctor having to relearn their shit every two or three years because some hipster discovered a new language? A mechanical engineer? Of course not. This is why this industry is a joke and people learning to program in the latest hipster language in a "coding" bootcamp is more employable than anyone that has gone to college.

Fuck that. Learn and use whatever language you like, even if it's fucking COBOL.
>>
>>61256331
>could be doing it in Perl
>implying anyone should be using COBOL
Absolutely disgusting taste. PHP is garbage, Java is horrible and Ruby is even slower. I'm glad they're dead. Onwards and upwards.
>>
>>61255835
Pretty much, yes. I remember using it in the 80s. Horrible syntax for file I/O. Switched to C. Much better, though it was a long learning curve.
>>
>>61256374
You probably haven't used Perl because when it was popular you were in diapers. Your opinion doesn't really count, kid. Go back to writing fizzbuzz in Javascript, TypeScript or whatever language is popular today.

>java
>dead
kek
>>
File: 230114_908223010.png (133KB, 339x296px) Image search: [Google]
230114_908223010.png
133KB, 339x296px
>>61256331
>>web development languages
>>java

Alright, let's assume you meant JavaScript

>>web development languages
>> "PHP --> JavaScript"

How fucking retarded can you be to compare server-side languages with client-side
>>
what's the best guide to learn Lazarus GUI programming?
>>
>>61255835
Modern Object Pascal with FreePascal and Lazarus is awesome. Once you get over the syntax, it's a refreshingly simple, yet powerful language.
>>
>>61256557
The syntax has problems?
>>
>>61256331
/thread
>>
>>61256631
program ObjectPascalExample;

type
THelloWorld = object
procedure Put;
end;

var
HelloWorld: THelloWorld;

procedure THelloWorld.Put;
begin
ShowMessage('Hello, World!');
end;

begin
New(HelloWorld);
HelloWorld.Put;
Dispose(HelloWorld);
end.

It's different than C/C++/Java, so naturally, people think it's a shit syntax and often hate it for that reason alone.
>>
>>61256495
Java CAN be used for web development, just like python
>>
>>61256499
pls respond
>>
>>61255835
Dead
>>
File: 1467296306101.png (91KB, 653x726px) Image search: [Google]
1467296306101.png
91KB, 653x726px
Once Vega is out it will be, just you wait.
>>
>>61255835
Pascal is dead. Long live the GeForce 10 series. Long live Pascal.
>>
>>61256495
You are the dumbest person I've seen here. Congrats.
>>
>>61256499
Search for Delphi tutorials, Lazarus is basically a clone of it from the glory days ~15 years ago

t. grew up with Delphi at the turn of the century when it was popular

>>61256631
It's completely alien to those who've only known C-like languages and lots of modern meme features like anonymous functions aren't a thing (but to be fair there, pascal always allowed nested functions so it's not hard to live with)

>>61256331
nobody gave a fuck about those languages, they became flavour of the year for their libraries and how easy they made some flavour of web cancer

perl and php meant templated html and easily talking to a db back when the alternatives were like native CGI and shit

java was the "enterprise" language and got big because every corporate fuck decided they needed a serious website and set their thousand pajeets to work on it

ruby had rails that made more complex sites easy to implement and maintain

python was never much of a thing but for the diehards who hated ruby

nodejs is only popular because of react and all the new responsive/single page bullshit

>Can you imagine a medical doctor having to relearn their shit every two or three years
Ongoing study is as much a part of their job as it is ours - there's always new knowledge and techniques and shit for them to be catching up on.

>>61256495
>let's assume you meant JavaScript
Were you even alive when the dotcom bubble burst?
>>
>>61256870
>nobody gave a fuck about those languages, they became flavour of the year
Just stop. Perl was incredibly popular for the entire 90 decade. Java was incredibly popular too, and still is. PHP in the early 2000s.

>ruby had rails that made more complex sites easy to implement and maintain
You can do that in Perl, or any other language too, which is my point.

>nodejs is only popular because of react and all the new responsive/single page bullshit
Same. React is client-side I think, and you can do single page/responsive in any other the other languages.

People keep doing the same shit with a different flavor. They aren't applying new techniques, or inventing new algorithms or design patterns. MVC frameworks for example existed back in the early 80s. People nowadays are focused on reinventing the wheel on every fucking new language instead of truly making advancements in the field.
>>
>>61256457
When I started programming, it was in BASIC. Perl was popular when I started web development (90s) but I went with PHP instead, which is also a terrible and antiquated language. I never saw the appeal of Perl and it has even less appeal today, with so many superior scripting languages.
>>
>>61256495
No.
>Perl --> PHP --> Java --> Ruby --> Python --> Node.js
These are all server side (Let's ignore those awful things called applets for now) and JavaScript was used alongside all of these.
>>
>>61256681
Its seems a nice syntax to me thanks ;)
>>
>>61255835
it's deader than perl
>>
>>61256956
>antiquated
What makes a language antiquated my friend?
>>
>>61255835
Lots of software we still use is written in Pascal (stuff like PsPad, CheatEngine, etc), and Delphi is still a thing. Its probably as good as .NET for RAD.
>>
>>61256997
desu I find Pascal and languages inspired by it way more readable than C based ones (and I've learned programming with C...). Object Pascal is the cleanest OO languages I've seen, its very readable, simple, as powerful as C++, and its actually sane.
>>
Where is the anon who makes Anachan? He uses Delphi
>>
>>61257060
Delphi was about as good as Visual Basic back then. The Inventor went on to work for M$ and built the .NET framework. I seem to recall, that there was/is a Delphi.net project.
>>
>>61257161
Yeah .NET and winforms in general are very similar to Delphi. Also, almost the same naming conventions and all, you could say C# is the evolution of Object Pascal
>>
>>61257177
Not close. C# is basically Java in a Delphi-inspired ecosystem.
>>
>>61257196
I see C# as a mix of what both Java and C++ should have been + the Delphi ecosystem
>>
File: 1499293746279.jpg (102KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
1499293746279.jpg
102KB, 425x282px
>>61257046
When the language wasn't planned with sufficient foresight which causes a ton of features to be shoehorned into the language (badly) to keep up with current usage, eventually leading to an absolute clusterfuck, just like today's PHP.
>>
>>61256997
>>61257088
It technically is. It also was designed to be parsed very fast.
>>
>>61257358
Not a simple concrete example.

>PHP
An example of hipster language. It didn't do anything better than its predecessors. Just like JavaScript and nodejs nowadays. Of course after a decade the technical debt of using a badly designed language started to show.
>>
>>61256495
You're actually fucking retarded.
>>
First languages I ever dabbled with were Pascal and Delphi.

Still hold a place in my heart.
>>
pascal still owns russian education system probably
>>
>>61255835

>>61255835

It's useful. Lazarus allows to create effortless multiplatform apps using native stuff.

None of these "modern languages" can do that.
>>
Brian Kernighan explains why Pascal could not match C as systems programming language
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/bwk-on-pascal.html
>>
>>61263991
>Brian Kernighan explains why Pascal could not match C as systems programming language
... in 1981
>>
>>61255835
Kind of, but then again, you can finally use it in VS Code: http://blog.omnipascal.com/omnipascal-0-14-0-mac-and-linux-support/
>>
>>61265252
This. Also, that fucko lost all say in language design due to inventing C in the first place.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.