[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I fucked? Should I replace this drive? I've only been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: Uhoh.png (82KB, 673x823px)
Uhoh.png
82KB, 673x823px
Am I fucked? Should I replace this drive? I've only been using it for a year and a half.
>>
>>61255650
get it replaced it is obviously defectve
>>
File: MaybeNot.png (42KB, 673x671px) Image search: [Google]
MaybeNot.png
42KB, 673x671px
>>61255679

Speccy says it's all good though.

Who do I trust?
>>
>>61255705
it's not about the condition perse
it's about the fact that it already, after such a short time, has any reallocated sectors at all
>>
>>61255723

Well that doesn't sound good.

It's a bare drive I got as a Christmas gift. I take it there's no warranty?
>>
it's not "that" bad
are you using it for things that are important?
if so get a new drive, if not and you are fine with the risk of it dying earlier than average then keep it
mind hdds don't tend to "die" from one day to the other so you usually would have some time to react if it were to start to die
>>
File: Capture.png (67KB, 538x179px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
67KB, 538x179px
>>61255732
Lucky boi
>>
>>61255765

It just holds my media and games. Nothing crucial but it'd be a pain in the ass if it went down.

>>61255769

Where'd you get that?
>>
I ran Seagate's testing thing and it says it's all good. Does that mean they wouldn't replace it?

I checked their website and it's under warranty until December. So I've got some breathing room at least.
>>
>>61255776
Did you ever think to check the warranty before you came here?
>>
you should replace the operating system
>>
>>61255829

I didn't even think there was a warranty.
>>
>seagate
>a true meme on /g/

I don't feel sorry for you anon. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>61255846

I didn't buy it, it was a Christmas gift.
>>
File: attttt.jpg (114KB, 623x693px) Image search: [Google]
attttt.jpg
114KB, 623x693px
>>61255839
Well you are going to learn a lesson today anon.

You drive *WAS* in warranty, until you posted the serial number on your favourite chinese cartoon website.

Now I get to replace my OOW drive, thank you anon.
>>
File: hdd.jpg (56KB, 688x826px) Image search: [Google]
hdd.jpg
56KB, 688x826px
?
>>
File: kek.png (12KB, 1367x97px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
12KB, 1367x97px
>>61255861
>>
>>61255861

Well that sucks. Oh well.

What kind of shitty company won't even verify that the SN on the drive doesn't match the SN the report was filed under?
>>
>>61255868
This image gave me eye cancer.
>>
Well since I can't get a free replacement on drive anymore (whoops) what should I buy to replace it? I'd like to upgrade to 4TB but I'm not sure what brand is /g/ approved.
>>
>>61255882
i dont think they'll accept this return, on that basis. but you never know.

to answer the question you posed in the OP, the fact that you have 8 reallocated sectors doesn't necessarily mean that your hard drive is fucked, it just means that you should now (just as you always should) back up all your files regularly and monitor the drive closely to detect any further changes in the SMART values. be ready to replace it if it goes, but don't go purchasing a new drive yet.

if and when you decide to replace the drive, go HGST or bust. look for the models that were in that data center hard drive statistics article that got published some months ago.
>>
File: Capture.png (17KB, 1488x87px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
17KB, 1488x87px
>>61255951
contact support and tell them you need to change the details on your rma.

Please anon, use the stupid people thread next time >>>/g/sqt

Also use the option in the menus to hide your s/n
>>
>>61255650
>shitgate
Mine started doing the same after a year or so.
Still works 3 years later.
>>
>>61255989
>i dont think they'll accept this return, on that basis. but you never know.

I don't think they will either but as a precaution I emailed Seagate. If that anon was just trolling me I hope he's laughing his ass off, I know I would.

>it just means that you should now (just as you always should) back up all your files regularly and monitor the drive closely to detect any further changes in the SMART values

As a matter of fact, the reason I checked the drive status in the first place is because I just installed a new drive. So I'm gonna back up my most crucial media on that.

>if and when you decide to replace the drive, go HGST or bust.

I just looked them up and oh my God are they expensive.

>>61256045
>contact support and tell them you need to change the details on your rma.

You're a strange man, but thanks (?) regardless.

>Please anon, use the stupid people thread next time >>>/g/sqt

I normally do, not sure why I didn't this time.

>Also use the option in the menus to hide your s/n

I didn't know that existed until this thread. So lesson learned.
>>
>>61255879

Being this proud of being an autistic poor faggot. KYS
>>
>>61255650
get a replacement
>>
>>61256078
the cost is worth it my friend. you can get 2TB drives for about $85 if you shop around.
>>
>>61256078
reliability is not cheap
there's a reason seagate is the cheapest and the least reliable
>>
>>61255650
It's fine as long as they don't increase. With only 8 you're obviously not currently undergoing a progressive failure, so you should be fine.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.