[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Audio on Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: images.png (4KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4KB, 303x166px
Is audio on linux supposed to sound terrible? The bass is distorted and all the highs sound muffled. This is because of Pulseaudio isnt it?

Is Jack or OSS any better?
>>
File: 1485473684854.png (408KB, 824x792px) Image search: [Google]
1485473684854.png
408KB, 824x792px
Pulseaudio just werks for me.
>>
>>61251645
It works for me too but sounds significantly worse than windows
>>
>>61251649
No difference for me. Must just be you.
>>
>>61251633
Yes. Install a new soundcard.
>>
>>61251649
lol what
>>
>>61251633
Last time I had PulseAudio on my PC was years ago and the Linux Distro/ Desktop I use doesn't come pre-installed with it. I use default ALSA. No Problems, no bad sound. If anything, last time recording from a microphone didn't work but I don't know whenever this was ALSA or me not choosing the right input device.
>>
>>61251633
Install CloverOS, it doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>61251633
kill yourself audiopaedophile
>>
>>61251633
You're going to have to go back to windows OP.
Linux sound drivers don't come with MaxxBass™ and MaxxTrebel™ automatically applied for an enhanced listening experience™.
What you're hearing is how your music is supposed to sound.
>>
>>61251732
sudo apt-get install soundcard didn't work
>>
>>61251633
https://pacesettergraam.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/improve-sound-quality-by-pulseaudio-configuration/

because Lennart doesn't know shit about audio
>>
>>61251633
BEGON THOT(audiophile)
>>
>>61251649
I had a similar problem (HP probook) I installed a pulseaudio plugin which was a system-wide equalizer which worked perfectly. Instructions are on the Arch wiki
>>
>>61251649
CloverOS doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>61251633
Sounds about right to me, not using particularly expensive equipment just midfi fidelio X2 and MSR7 with fiio E10k as source.
I couldn't pick up any obvious difference with windows 10, as long as there is no crackling/distortion or noticeable drop in quality its good enough for me.

I am not very knowledgeable on the topic, Isn't pulse audio just a sound server that uses ALSA where applicable anyway?
>>
>>61252283
Try restarting your computer, then reinstall it
>>
>>61251649
Don't listen to Red Hat shills like this retard >>61251645 >>61251656

Pulseaudio is garbage for high fidelity audio playback. There are posts about this on the head-fi forums. Basically the default solution is to remove Pulseaudio and use JACK. The problem is that these days Pulseaudio has become so invasive that is now a hard dependency for software like Firefox (if you want audio to work).

Maybe try Slackware I think there are tutorials on their wiki on removing Pulseaudio completely. Also you can try another Unix that doesn't have that piece of shit. *BSD's use OSS.
>>
>>61251633
Dude everybody shits on pulse, but this is just retarded.
Pulse's problem is/was higher latency and cpu usage than the alternatives.
>>
>>61252493
why the fuck would you give the link to a shitty indian blog that literally copy and pastes from an actual professional site

here is the site

http://www.overclock.net/a/how-to-get-the-best-sound-with-and-properly-configure-pulseaudio#

the only reason i figured it our was that the idiot was too stupid to copy/paste. this is obviously done by someone trying to pad their cred as super linux programmers.

here he is, Gowtham Raam
https://pacesettergraam.wordpress.com/its-me/
>>
>>61251633
ALSA, use it.
>>
>>61251645
It was horrible on my old laptop.
Constant buzzing noise.
So went with alsa and dmix.

>>61254574
>that is now a hard dependency for software like Firefox
The Poetteringware effect.
>>
>>61256567
This. That fucking buzzing. Its so bad that i now have light titinnus
>>
>>61254574
>Pulseaudio has become so invasive that is now a hard dependency for software like Firefox (if you want audio to work)
This is not a problem on Gentoo
>>
>>61254574
I use Slackware and pulseaudio is actually retarded. Even if you chmod pulseaudio rc file to not be executable it starts. You can even remove the rc file and it magically starts. The only way is to just purge it and install OSS. The only bad thing about OSS is that you can't have audio in browser because no browser supports it.
>>
>>61252272
My phone has exactly these functions. I like it though, since I hate middles.
>>
>>61256839
-pulseaudio -systemd -dbus
bruh
Gotta say, I really like gentoo for this.
>>
>>61256840
What about jack?
>>
Linux audio is trash, Ubuntu comes with an EQ which makes it more acceptable. But arch, man jaro and debian have all been trash so far and this is both using my on board and sound card.
>>
>>61256827
>tinnitus
That was from the white noise that debian did after coming out of hibernation.
God that laptop was such a shitshow on everything that's not arch.
>>
>>61256895
I too use -pulseaudio and -systemd but I'm curious why -dbus? I don't know much about it and assumed I needed it.
>>
File: 1478867915389.jpg (44KB, 510x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478867915389.jpg
44KB, 510x768px
>>61251633
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61256924
What the fuck is stopping you from applying that EQ to other distros.
>>
>>61256895
>>61257117
Looks like I might not need it, gonna remove and rebuild everything with -dbus and hope nothing breaks.
>>
>>61257202
Does someone have to post this shit EVERYTIME????
>>
>>61252283
>apt-get
kek
>>
>>61251633
interesting
I had no such problems
>>
>>61257344
because it's the truth
>>
>>61251645
>>61251656
>i am used to 16 bit, 44100 Hz quality audio: the post
>>
>>61251633
My Xonar DG sounds as good as it did on Windows. Equalizer module or some shit for it sucks though, it sometimes causes audio to be delayed or "choppy" or "stuttering", idk how to explain it but it does that in some software. For software it causes problems I just use pavucontrol to switch them to regular output instead of this "FFT based equalizer".
So in summary I have no issues with it except the equalizer is shit in some cases or I am doing something wrong
>>
>>61257621
Dont know why but the equalizers on linux are universally awful. Bass is a blob of white noise and Treble is piercing but dull
>>
>>61257647
I actually have managed to get the equalizer to make my Superluxes sound good for me. What I don't get why it causes audio delay on some software or makes audio choppy in some software. Also if some software "visualize" the output level or some shit its laggy if output is equalizer. For example, pavucontrol has the audio level thing, if you look anything which outputs to equalizer, that bar is laggy, while its smooth on normal output. Or on kdenlive, there is a audio level monitor or whatever its called, its laggy too if it outputs to equalizer and the audio is delayed few seconds. If steam is open and it has its output on equalizer, it makes everything system-wide sound choppy, must be on regular output. When using audacity, audio is delayed.
What the fuck causes equalizer to be so problematic on Linux? When it works though, its ok for me but yes, it has its share of issues
>>
File: linuxaudio.png (21KB, 1209x815px) Image search: [Google]
linuxaudio.png
21KB, 1209x815px
>>61257707
Not him but I have the same issue.
>>
>>61257747
>2007
>two thousand and fucking seven and we're still dealing with this shit.

Fuck me.
>>
OSS is the best sounding audio you will get on Linux, unfortunately installing and using OSS in the past 10 years has become increasingly difficult. If you care about audio (or video for that matter) quality just avoid Linux in general.
>>
>>61257747
Wow what the fuck is that

>when hardware->ASIO->windows is a straight line
>>
>>61257789
What broswer do you use? Since firefox requires (((pulseaudio))))
>>
>>61257844
You can recompile it you nub. Also take your anti-semite shit back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>61257844
Edge mostly now, I stopped using Linux in 2014 after almost 10 years of suffering.
>>
>>61251633
It works fine for me.
>>
>>61257844
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61251633
also depends on the music player and audio drivers for your hardware
>>
>>61251633
Works on my system. Buy better speakers perhaps?
>>
>>61251633
as much as i hate lennart PA works for me, and sounds good even over network.

listened on fostex pm0.5
>>
>>61257844
Last time I've checked, pulseaudio supported OSS with some config file tweaks. That was like 2-3 years ago tho..
http://ossnext.trueinstruments.com/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Applications_for_OSSv4
>>
>>61258819
Thanks anon
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.