[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's up with modern mobile phones?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: xcover 4.jpg (22KB, 648x432px) Image search: [Google]
xcover 4.jpg
22KB, 648x432px
Long story short, I'm still a quite newbie to modern smart phones.
Had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for 3 years, my first "true" touch-screen toy and Android device ever, but its battery, USB port and screen all started to fail in numerous ways, so it was time to update.
Got the Xcover 4 for muh rugged design + physical buttons, and I do love it. Feels great NOT having to recharge the thing every single day too.

But now I've come face to face with some pretty shocking revelations, that probably are totally old news for most cellphone geeks: the SD card no longer is directly "supported" by new Android builds, as in only factory installed apps can directly use it as their storage media.
Apparently, in order to remedy this issue, you either need to let the system "adapt" the entire card (format, encrypt, make it useless in other devices...), or root the whole phone, install fishy hacks (or brand new OS), and hope that the few sensitive daily apps I might actually need (ie. bank and credit programs) don't shit the bed afterwards.

...And this has apparently been going on for a few years now?
CyanogenMod, the only mega-hyped savior of Android freedoms I knew, was also killed just recently?

Are there ANY smart alternatives for this bullshit this day and age? I now really want to get off Google's ride, ASAP.
>>
>>61249897

LineageOS is the continuation of the CyanogenMod project, worked on by the same developers (citation needed). Aside from that there are other Android ROMs.

Yes, get off Google's dick ASAP.
>>
>>61249975
yeah, already managed to spot the Lineage with my furious Googling for solutions to this bullshit.

Anyone got any first-hand experiences on their builds? I'm not seeing Xcover 4 on their supported lists just yet, but it is kinda new model still (and apparently somewhat Europoor only thing??).
>>
>>61249897
New Samsung phones still use the old model for SD cards.

https://www.androidcentral.com/things-know-about-samsung-galaxy-s8s-sd-card-slot

Google hate SD cards in general because it is a barrier to them tracking everything possible about you.
>>
>>61250034
I know that. Slapped my old phone's 16GB micro-SD into the new phone as the very first thing, and was glad I didn't have to format it and destroy my countless folders and files.

But now my web browsers etc cannot access the damn card at all.
And according some sources, it's like that "by design", in order to "protect us form malware" and shit. Already tested the non-root options available within the system's settings, but nothing helped.
>>
>>61250008
>my furious Googling for solutions to this bullshit.
>Googling
>>
File: images (3).jpg (13KB, 459x321px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
13KB, 459x321px
>>61250158
HOLD THE FUCK UP
>>
>>61249897
you sound like an ancient fuck
>>
File: Screenshot_20170706-194607.png (103KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170706-194607.png
103KB, 1080x1920px
>>61249897
Buy developer/hobbyist oriented devices and unlock the bootloader. I have a Nexus 5 that runs Lineage OS, which is a continuation of CyanogenMod. It doesn't include and Google malware either. Personally 16GB is more than enough storage for me, so I'm not concerned with SD cards. I'm only using 5GB right now with some music, a few apps, and some pictures.

>>61250475
This website is 18+
>>
If I format the sd as internal with encription and whatever android does to it, am I sinking more into the botnet or its actually safer?
Dumb question I have since marshmallow came out
>>
>>61250576
It is much more safer anon. If your phone is stolen, your sdcard is as safe as your lock screen protection.
>>
>>61249897
fag
>>
I'm using Lineage OS without Gapps for about 1 month now and it is great. It was a hard at first but now I'm getting used to it. I don't miss much. I miss the official YouTube app but I have NewTube and SkyTube.
>>
File: 1499381843724.jpg (9KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
1499381843724.jpg
9KB, 211x239px
>>61250513
>Google malware
>uses yt, drive, search, gmail, chrome
>>
>>61249897
The S3 was my first smartphone too. I felt really chic with the top of the line phone back then.
Then I dropped it and cracked the screen. And burned out the battery so it couldn't even hold a 5min charge(but can be replaced).
I've been using shitty phones since then. I'm about to buy some mid range phones though which while not top of the line are still at least 2-3x stronger than my original S3.
>>
>>61251630
>makes assertions he cannot verify as true
>>
>>61250576
Your SD card becomes Google's bitch, and cannot be used anywhere else without formatting

>>61252370
Pretty much the same. I've never paid over 250€ for a phone, and I'm not planning to. It's getting crazy when a new telephone can to cost more than my car.
>>
>>61249897
>Had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for 3 years, my first "true" touch-screen toy and Android device ever
Underage b&
>>
>>61256187
>Underage b&
Is this what Gen-Z kids actually believe?
If anything, I'm overage fart. My previous phones were all Nokias, last one was the N95, and it served me well. It actually still works, as I had to use it for a couple months not too long ago as a backup phone.

I just never considered the modern all-glass, no buttons toys to be practical or reliable enough to justify the jump. They definitely are not fit for one-handed use.
>>
File: lenovo-vibe-c.jpg (43KB, 1060x596px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-vibe-c.jpg
43KB, 1060x596px
>>61249897
>$70
>enough for shitposting
>>
>>61249975
Lineage actually any good at this point? Didn't pay much attention to the whole phone OS biz after CM died.
>>
just buy a used or refurmished s3 or s4 then
>>
>>61259448
>just buy used and outdated tech to not deal with shitty business practices that can be avoided simply by re-configuring your software
Brilliant logic
>>
>>61259701
get with the times grandpa, i'm not sure what your complaint even is, something about an SD card?
>>
File: pepe-the-frog-meme.png (48KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme.png
48KB, 500x282px
>>61251630
I use NewPipe (alternative YouTube client), a home server, and Startpage and Startmail, and Firefox.

Nice assumptions, retard.
>>
>>61259853
>I don't understand basic tech of modern times, so there's no problem!
kys kid pls.
>>
>>61261296
hundreds of millions of android users get by just fine without your contrived issue which i'm not even sure is a real issue because i can't be bothered to read the OP
>>
>>61261338
>because i can't be bothered to read the OP
yes, you are indeed a fine sample of the modern cancer generation that's practically letting Google to become the Skynet.
>>
>>61261397
most phones have like 64+ GB storage

the fuck you need an SD card for apps for
>>
>>61261459
>most phones have like 64+ GB storage
wrong
>the fuck you need an SD card for apps for
I WANT to be able to save stuff on my SD card, no matter what app I use.

For example, I'm an active 4chan poster. I save and upload tons images all the time. Yet on my new phone, I am unable to access my SD card, which holds several gigabytes worth of my personal data in neat, orderly fashion, because of Google's new policies.

The only way to use an SD card would be "Adapting" it as part of the internal memory, which formats and encrypts the whole card, making it unusable anywhere else, thus destroying the point of transferable media.

But you'd know this if you'd just read the OP post and would finally take the Google's dick out of your arse.
>>
>>61261514
$150 xiaomi phones come with 64GB of storage, you have no excuse
>>
>>61249897
>the SD card no longer is directly "supported" by new Android builds, as in only factory installed apps can directly use it as their storage media.
that is completely false. most android devs just aren't keeping up on security changes with every new iteration of android. you have to prompt the user to select the storage location with the built in file browser to grant permissions.

am android dev.
>>
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Smartphone-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-CPU/32802702957.html

also, xiaomi has excellent android ROM support, the google apps are optional
>>
>>61261629
What's up with this Android ROM support? Does it mean it doesn't come with a default Android? Or that it has good support for custom ROMs like Lineage?
>>
>>61261750
most phones don't come with plain AOSP, they come with a customized version like with touchwiz for samsung for example. xiaomi phones come with MIUI and you can flash different ROMs like lineage
>>
>>61261831
So by good support you mean the xiaomi version of android is quite good and doesn't come with gapps? I couldn't find a redmi 4 in the supported devices list on the lineage website though
>>
>>61261877
redmi note 4 has unofficial support for lineage
>>
s3 still holds up
minus the camera
>>
>>61261957
How does this work? Which rom do I flash?
>>
>>61262089
http://en.miui.com/thread-538328-1-1.html
>>
File: 1498366016409.gif (58KB, 245x139px) Image search: [Google]
1498366016409.gif
58KB, 245x139px
>>61260302
I was referring to the fact that it is a malware for you but you use those things daily. A rebel aren't you?
>>
On that topic, how do you "unfuck" a SD card?

I've got two, fully functional in the phones, but unusable in anything else no matter how many tools I throw at them. I tried pretty much everything.

Are they just definitively fucked?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.