[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ubuntu 17.04

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: ubuntu.jpg (89KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.jpg
89KB, 1280x960px
Is 17.04 still buggier than 16.04 LTS? I'm trying to decide if it's worth installing or if I should just stick with LTS.
>>
>>61247550
you should install Debian and be done with that shit-colored distro. Ubuntu's the worst.
>>
File: 1494183070747.jpg (429KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1494183070747.jpg
429KB, 1000x1400px
install gentoo
>>
>>61247704
worst girl
>>
File: 1491021606670.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1491021606670.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>61247711
literally best girl
>>
>>61247600
>90's OS for neckbeards
No
>>
>>61247550
If you want new software, don't use ubuntu.
The LTS has a lot of benifits, but other ubuntu releases makes no sense.
>>
>>61247765
>uses an OS made for Africans
K DEN
>>
>>61247550
I haven't found a reason to ditch LTS yet. The only piece of software that I need to keep up to date is youtube-dl. And I didn't use the repo to install it so I can keep it up to date. There are certain Python libs that I need/might need. But I can use pip to get those.

So yeah, every time I think I need to upgrade my distro I end up grabbing the software I need directly.
>>
>>61247833
problem is that your kernel and firmware is severely outdated. Not to mention security improvements of a multitude of libs.
>>
>>61247885
>problem is that your kernel and firmware is severely outdated.
uname --kernel-release
4.4.0-83-generic

If I cared about having the latest version of the kernel I could update it just like the other software I have (and you could make the case that I should care).

>Not to mention security improvements of a multitude of libs.
I get security updates all the time. Which ones are being neglected (that I should be concerned about).

Are you implying that running an LTS is a security risk? That would definitely cause me to rethink my position on using LTS instead of the current distro. I have assumed that the tradeoff to using non-bleeding edge distros was that I am forced to use old versions of software. Not use older versions of software with unpatch security exploits.
>>
>>61248084
>
4.4.0-83-generic

that's old as shit anon.

as for security, while you do get security patches, you don't get any of the new exploit mitigation updates that prevent future exploits.

anyway, benefits of LTS branches are not worth not running latest software. shit's stable for me and I don't see a point in running old stuff.
>>
>>61247550
Why does she have a fidget spinner drawn on her face?
>>
>>61248142
>>61248084
>>61247885
uname --kernel-release
4.8.0-58-generic

You know they backport kernels for LTS released, right?
>>
What's you're fallback kernel strategy?
>don't
>keep the 2nd most recent
>keep my trusted oldie but goodie
> I currently have 36 kernel images.
>>
>>61247550
Yes it's very buggy. I no longer have it installed so I can't provide a picture, but the file manager literally showed the "Files" menu 3 times and nothing else.
>>
>>61249230
1. install new kernel
2. reboot or kexec
3. if the system works, apt-get remove --purge the old one
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.