[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>using linux on the desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: 5U2GpwM.jpg (126KB, 861x1300px) Image search: [Google]
5U2GpwM.jpg
126KB, 861x1300px
>using linux on the desktop
>>
>>61242415
Short on money eh? Pajeet?
>>
>>61242433
>all windows users are morons and they should all be purged
>I'm a smartass
I think Linux is okay, but it lacks good software.
GIMP should fix it's GUI and make it compact.
LMMS is less advanced than FL Studio.
Ardour is claimed to be free, but is behind a paywall.
>>
>running an operating system on you are desktop
>>
>>61244260
It's really not oriented properly for multimedia work at all, mainly due to a lack of software support from the producers of commercial software, like Adobe.
For developers like me, though, Linux is ideal.
>>
>>61244280
I am not a developer (I tried programming in school and got bored), but what's up with this "all windows users are subhumans" meme?
>>
Well yes, i certainly ain't gonna use a piece of shit like Windows which was contaminated by bighuge touchscreen UI elements for greasy fat fingers of touchscreen users.
>>
File: 1476491989668.jpg (1MB, 1440x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1476491989668.jpg
1MB, 1440x1260px
>>61242415
>Using Micros**t cuckware
>>
>>61244293
Which version of Windows do you mean.
The 7 or the 10?
>>
>>61244289
It's because people think they're legendary by installing a Linux distribution, and because Windows is typically seen as a "gaymur" operating system.
I person think people should just use what works for them, and not give a shit about what other people think.
>>
>>61244304
Certainly not 7 you mong.
Although the inability to narrow the taskbar when it is used on the side of the desktop is retarded as fuck.

I still can't fathom how a bunch of neckbeard faggots working for free can create thousands of packages and tools that enable you to customize every pixel in Linux distros in whatever way;
but a bunch of faggots at Microshit with millions poured into UI development can't even allow you to change the font color on desktop icons.
>>
>>61244313
>give a shit about what other people think
That's /g/ in nutshell.
>people who play video games are retards that should be purged
>I'm a smartass and I hate games
People played games even before the video games have been inveneted and smart people also play games. I don't understand the game-hate meme.
>>
>doesnt spy on you
>kernel is better than NT
>not massively bloated
>tons of different options to choose from
...all at the price of $0
>>
File: Untitled.png (19KB, 461x478px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
19KB, 461x478px
>>61244330
>change the font color on desktop icons
Maybe it's because of wallpapers.

>Because Desktop wallpaper images have varying colors, it is easy for the font colors to be unreadable if they are on top of the same color as a wallpaper image. For instance a black font on top of a dark part of the background image or a white font on a white part of a background image.

>The Desktop icon fonts are dynamic and will show white on dark backgrounds and change to white with a black shadow effect on a light background.
>>
>>61244337
>package managers
>most of the software is freely modifiable
>>
>>61244372
That's not an excuse though.
Also fonts can have stroke or shadow which can also be customized to counteract backgrounds,
or fade boxes doing the same, many other methods and choices that Linux gives but Windows doesn't.
The wallpaper excuse is just farting out of the ass.
>>
>>61244399
Source:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/desktop-icon-font-color-how-do-i-change-the-font/ef5e2f24-e6c9-40a0-88a9-30bf8a69114a
>>
>>61244419
>you can't change font colors on desktop because we are incompetent fucks
Pretty much sums it up.
>>
File: fontz.png (21KB, 461x478px) Image search: [Google]
fontz.png
21KB, 461x478px
>>61244456
pic related
>>
>>61242415
>being this retarded
>>
>>61244478
>pic related
>doesn't change desktop icon font
How nice it is to make pointless replies that ironically manage to have less value than shitposter replies.
>>
>>61244313
>It's because people think they're legendary by installing a Linux
full of shit
I just want my OS to work.. linux gives me that
>>
File: gnome-3.4.png (414KB, 1022x767px) Image search: [Google]
gnome-3.4.png
414KB, 1022x767px
>>61244337
>>kernel is better than NT
Lol, no.
>>61244293
>which was contaminated by bighuge touchscreen UI elements for greasy fat fingers of touchscreen users.
Anon, i
>>
>>61244296
Source of the borno?
>>
>>61244505
>Lol, no.
lol, yes
>>
>>61244505
>Anon, i
Let me finish that for you
>Anon, i am a dumbfuck who can't differentiate between an OS that allows you to modify, add, and remove among thousands of UI packages and settings; and an OS that has shoehorned touchscreen diarrhea that can't be removed form the system or can only partially be turned off while leaving the rest sticking like a magnetic turd
>>
>>61244521
nah.
Linux kernel is a massive hack-job, architecture wise.
Even BSD and Hurd are better built.
>>
>>61244529
k.
>>
>>61244529

Well they chose having a functional hack-job over barely functional "elegance".
>>
>>61244504
Not saying you or I think that, but some others do.
>>
>>61244570
and that's bitting them in the ass, since it's getting clunky and sometimes impossible for anything small.
>>
>>61244330
The game hate meme is similar to a lot of other hate memes like Arch or C#. Anon(s) notice a trend of behavior from users which seems unnaceptable and meme on it (1%), then other anons reuse and tweak memes to keep up a flame war (99%).

It comes down to people being bored or autistic. Reasonable people like you should consider if this is the best place to get actual tech related discussion. This much negativity cannot be good for ones mental health.
>>
>>61244666
>The game hate meme is similar to a lot of other hate memes like Arch or C#.
It's not similar since hating arch or C# is /g/ related since we don't have a software/programming board and /g/ is made for that shit;
while we do have a video game board for video gayme level of tech illiteracy and you should fuck off there with your gayming shit.

Gaymers tend to not know shit yet act like they do, which completely counteracts any potential or probability to go educate themselves on technology to a level beyond marketing terms they pick up from superficial marketing articles and youtube videos;
while actual tech enthusiasts tend to be more resistant to moronic GPU/CPU wars since they tend to understand that marketing graphs become obsolete with driver/software updates and that performance is more complicated than frequency, core count, and memory.

For that reason, hating gaming is absolutely logical on /g/ since there are already gaming boards and the low tech-IQ can fuck off to those containment boards.
>>
Name a single good desktop distro
>>
>>61244775
The one that can be customized fully to the user's taste.
AKA
>Freedom of Choice Distro
>>
>>61244529
how is it a hack-job?
it's a pretty standard monolithic kernel
besides, I doubt NT code would be more elegant
I read about the horrors of NTFS somewhere but sadly I can't find it now
>>
>>61244337
>>kernel is better than NT
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not for desktop usage my friend.
>>
>>61244337
>>tons of different options to choose from
Funny, I couldn't find the option "make my wifi and graphics drivers work properly" anywhere in Linux.
>>
>>61244260
bitwig is better than fl studio anyway
>>
>>61244869
Works on my machine :^)
>>
>>61244811
>how is it a hack-job?
Linus was literally "how do i kernel?" across the internet when he made it, and jammed stuff into it to make it function.
>it's a pretty standard monolithic kernel
And it's become bloated as fuck.
Even Doug McIlroy acknowledges it.
>besides, I doubt NT code would be more elegant
Its a maze at times, but onecore is helping with that.
>>
>>61244887
And the 2% of linux users I guess.
>>
>>61244886
I know. LMMS is like FL Studio. Bitwig is like Ableton.
>>
File: 1470796773173.png (135KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1470796773173.png
135KB, 342x342px
>mfw using linux on the desktop
>>
>>61244987
maximus comfimus
>>
File: 1497986011063.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1497986011063.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>61244886
>>61244961
>>61244260

What does Linux have that's absolutely amazing - but not available on OSX/Win?
>>
>>61242415
Ironically enough Linux work really well with tech illiterate normalfags, you set them a system, show how to do basics and they can't break it because doing anything but browsing internet is a black magic to them.
>>
>>61244337
And no software at all.
>>
>>61245027
the abitility to install extactly what I want and nothing more
>>
>>61245167
Funny. I can do my job and my school work on Linux based OSes just fine. Haven't used windows since fall of my second year of uni
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.