[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Really gets the neurons firing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 14

File: teslavsoil.jpg (177KB, 716x838px) Image search: [Google]
teslavsoil.jpg
177KB, 716x838px
Really gets the neurons firing
>>
>>61234943
>Really gets the neuron firing
ftfy
>>
That's a copper mine.
>>
>>61234943
Oh fuck no:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/12/lithium-mining-vs-oil-sands-meme-thorough-response/

Did you know that canada alone can completely fuck over the Paris climate agreement just by heavily developing the oil sands?
https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/01/19/Tar-Sands-Kill-Paris-Targets/
>>
>>61235084
And it completely ignores the fact that these batteries can be made to be recycling-friendly, meaning once a certain amount of lithium has been extracted and batteries are actively being cycled, mining will because almost unnecessary.

And before you go memeing about some kid in a third world country doing the recycling, that's patently false too. Tesla's recycling takes place in the same U.S. based factories that the batteries were first manufactured in.

Of course this doesn't consider the atmosphere pollution side of things at all, or how there's now evidence that indicates that even moderate increases in said pollution have significant, measurable effects on average lifespan (we're talking decades).

Fossil fuels are the shittiest shit that has ever been shat out and they're not the answer to anything. They made for an effective (if costly) bridge to our current level of civilization, but it's time to move on.
>>
>>61235215
>t. Hippie
Cut your hair
>>
>>61235215
>Fossil fuels are the shittiest shit that has ever been shat out and they're not the answer to anything
No oil = no plastic. You can't go 5 feet without using it.
>>
>>61235258
You wish. I'm a well-kept, hygienic guy with a paycheck that's likely several tens of thousands higher than yours.

Not trashing your surroundings doesn't make you a hippy, it makes you a decent human.

>>61235288
And plastic, while bringing a lot of benefit, has come with a number of drawbacks. Look at all the issues we're now finding plastic causes when it offgasses into our foods… we're talking major endocrine system disruptions, especially if you're a guy (testosterone is more susceptible to said disruptions).

Aside from that, there are well-tested processes that can produce plastic from starch anyway. Chances are you've already encountered disposable plastic forks, spoons, cups, plates, etc that are made from potatoes (or some other startchy organic) that cleanly, safely, and quickly biodegrades, which petroleum plastics can't ever do.
>>
I'm sure that oilsland site isn't spewing out harmful shit into the air or them dumping shit into those surrounding forests, killing the environment /s
>>
>>61235215
>>
>>61235527
>/s
back to faggit with you
>>
File: 1493249625064.jpg (35KB, 429x468px) Image search: [Google]
1493249625064.jpg
35KB, 429x468px
>>61235554
>>
>>61235148
>TheTyee
North Islandfags reporting in?
>>
>>61235502
I don't want my car to biodegrade though.
>>
File: .png (226KB, 1018x406px) Image search: [Google]
.png
226KB, 1018x406px
>>61235215
>recycling-friendly
good luck with that
>>
>>61234943
That's an open pit copper mine. Lithium is pumped out of the ground.
That's not tarsands either.
>>
fucking nuke alberta already
>>
File: .png (57KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
.png
57KB, 450x600px
>>61235215
Energizer was first with recyclable rechargeable batteries back in 2016, but even then it's only 4%. We are decades off from any meaningful battery recycling. And if you want to look up the wikipedia factoids
>As of 2017, the recycling of Li-Ion batteries generally does not extract lithium since the many different types of Li-Ion batteries require a different extraction process.[6] Another reason why it isn't being done is because the extraction of lithium from old batteries is 5x more expensive as mined lithium[7] but efforts are being made to commercialize an industry in expectation of large amounts of disused batteries to come.[8][9]
So lithium prices will be sky high by the time actual recycling gets underway.
>>
>>61235821
And the same amount of lithium in a Tesla would power a car a few hundred miles if it was an equal amount of gasoline. As opposed to the thousands of miles Tesla batteries will go. The gasoline would produce greenhouse gas, while the batteries are recyclable and the lithium is landfill safe. Global warming is real, humans are generating it, and Donald Trump is a Chinese hoax created to make Americans look like idiots.
>>
>>61235258
lol
>>
>>61234943

>retard rig pigs from fort mac still think their jerbs are coming back

it is not even worth the effort to extract the tar sands anymore. i know it's easy to blame that fruitcup trudeau but until oil hits 100/barrel again you guys are just gonna have to settle for the part time timmies job once your EI runs out. the hard truth is you never really were worth the 100k a year you used to pull down. you should have saved it while it was plentiful. grasshopper and the squirrel and all that.
>>
>>61235821
OP is full of shit but can lithium also be mined through open pit extraction of pegamatite.
>>
File: tarsands.jpg (75KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
tarsands.jpg
75KB, 634x422px
literally fucking disgusting

even more disgusting that that stupid cuck harper invested all our money in it and starved the rest of canadian industry only to have the bottom fall out (surprise surprise)
>>
>>61235872

but electricity is (mostly) generated by burning of fossil fuels, so using batteries is only compounding the effects
>>
>>61236032
30% of us electric is from coal
>>
>>61235872
t. tumblr

The majority of the electricity that goes into those cars produces greenhouse gasses. Coal still generates substantial amounts of power. Natural gas generates greenhouse gasses through extraction and refinement. Nuclear is an unfortunate joke, and renewables are actually laughable.

But let's draw out this scenario:
You substantially increase domestic and commercial power load, like tenfold or better. This increases demand for power, which we have no means to generate other than by pollutant-generating means and you expect it to magically clean the atmosphere? And let's not forget the added stress to the physical infrastructure which means not only will you have massively variable draw from day to day but you will have more frequent failures, finally compounding this is the fact that even the most advanced cars can only make 335 miles at the $100k price range.

The real best case scenario is that the gubment produces more rail to more cities reducing the amount of grossly inefficient tractor trailers on the road and that regulations for construction of nuclear generation facilities are made a little leaner.
>>
>>61236066
Chinese are rapidly moving away from coal, too.
>>
>>61234943
Copper mine in Africa dumbass faggot. Lithium is found in beach sand
>>
>>61236083
It's going to be OK. Musk is working on electric semi tractors.
Solar has already surpassed nuclear in both power and jobs produced.
Coal is on the way out.
Natural gas will be around a while but is not near as bad.
>>
>>61235903
Fucking leafs.
>>
>>61236149
When you factor in the environmental damage that natural gas is capable of producing it's equally bad or worse than coal. Solar is a fucking joke, go do your research. Coal, as long as demand remains will stay for the foreseeable future. Nuclear, our singular hope for continued power generation has been set behind more red tape than the fucking roll that holds it. You should really stop parroting all the green propaganda you get forcefed.
>>
>implying oilsands oil is even remotely suitable for use in motor vehicle gasoline
>>
File: oil-spill.jpg (266KB, 1000x657px) Image search: [Google]
oil-spill.jpg
266KB, 1000x657px
>>61234943
So electric cars fuck our environment up more?
>>
>>61235502
t. Alex Jones
>>
>TFW your premiere sucks Alberta's dick so hard he causes his own province to get into its worst debt in history. But its somehow still the NDP's fault and not his bad management.
>>
>>61236211
You're simply wrong on all counts.
>>
>>61236255
Just think of all the lithium spills
>>
>>61236347
Did you spill you're meds again?
>>
>>61236304
You faggots seriously need to learn the meaning of mob justice.
>>
>>61236336
According to the EIA:
Renewables (total) = 14.9%

Hydropower = 6.5%
Wind = 5.6%
Biomass = 1.5%
Solar = 0.9%
Geothermal = 0.4%

Nuclear = 19.7%

And when you're reading all that shit about solar creating more jobs it's a product of:
1) Statistical illusions growing an industry of 700 people 1200% means that there are still only 8400 people employed in that industry. This is meaningless in a country of 319m people.
2) Minimally paying assembly and placement work: I can hire several thousand people at minimum wage to accomplish a relatively easy job and express that I'm creating work by doing so. I actually have an incentive to do this to create an illusion of growth in the sector which will effectively raise interest in the field and effectively increase stock values.
3) Nuclear itself doesn't require a high number of workers other than those who mine it. People who refine the uranium require certain clearances to work at the plants. Generator operators also require this clearance, as well as substantial training. All of these net a good wage, though fewer workers exist and jobs can't be created due to the extreme regulations nuclear faces.
>>
>>61236211
Speaking as someone who grew up in the middle of Appalachian coal country, the sooner we can get off of coal the better. The jobs involved in its extraction are some of the most life-threatening in the developed world; if it doesn't kill you outright, it'll shave decades off of both your total lifespan and healthy lifespan. Coal company CEOs are among the slimiest out there and cheat their workers out of things like healthcare and lifesaving safety regulations.

Demand has also been dropping dramatically. When I was still a young kid in the 90s, there were always several coal trains coming through town every week, but now it's weeks and sometimes months between trains.

Coal used to be the lifeblood of Appalachia, but the answer isn't to try to bring back demand for coal. Even if that did happen, automation will take the jobs anyway. No, instead the region needs a new industry that doesn't demand such high costs from its workers.
>>
>>61235815
Should have highlighted alkaline too.
>>
File: Sulfur_pyramid_oil_sands.jpg (600KB, 1940x1455px) Image search: [Google]
Sulfur_pyramid_oil_sands.jpg
600KB, 1940x1455px
>>
>>61236522
nah they rechargeables here >>61235868
Still only Ni-MH rather than Li-ion though. Lithium is far harder to recycle.
>>
>>61235868
>>
>>61236511
Oh and they extract natural gas using fracking and they always drill. This has the potential to damage local water tables. On top of that virtually every well they drill releases H2S which must be burnt off. During refinement they also burn off a number of constituents. Finally it requires transportation which is either by rail or truck, both necessarily burning more fossil fuels. Each and every step in this process poses significant hazards. Coal on the other hand is mostly inert, though in some instances it can self ignite, this is mostly coal dust in enclosed environments. Coal is much easier to clean up as such in the even that it does spill due to a derailment. It is almost exclusively transported by rail which is the most efficient means of cargo transportation bar none.
>>
>>61236457
n-no
>>
>>61236519
Wyoming here, we open pit, while it still does pose a hazard to personal health it's easily mitigated. And I agree with you in that we should do what we can to curb our usage of coal and other fossil fuels, the conversion to electrically powered cars is not the answer, neither is solar. The population is too large and dispersed to rely on renewables alone. That said I work in the rail industry and coal here is running normally, natural gas as well. We do significant amounts of coal shipping along the basin and it really hasn't declined much, as a matter of fact recently they added a number of sets.
>>
>>61234943
Scientists in life cycle assessment (LCA™) have already established that electric cars actually do more harm to the environment than benefit.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (101KB, 1140x465px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
101KB, 1140x465px
>>61236537
What is your point exactly?
>>
>>61234943
Literally an image for brainlets
>>
>>61236615
I meant wind, but didn't edit because fuck it, this is 4chan and you idiots don't like being confused by facts. Even if facts get shoved down your throad, you'll still be regurgitating bullshit tomorrow in the next thread.
>>
>>61236603
What does that have to do with anything? The adults are talking about Li-ion recycling and how shit it is.
>>
>>61236834
It's really fucking obvious that you're blind and clueless. The fact of the matter is that you can't load the grid with the entirety or even a small fraction of the net sum of the transportation consumption and still expect to run renewables. You will either have to expand the current power generation sources while supplementing with clean energy or you will continue to burn fossil fuels in vehicles. It's that simple, and you can't have both, it's a zero sum game.

Hybridization of consumer and commercial road vehicles and the proliferation of nuclear energy to be supplemented with limited green sources is the sole option for the future. Luckily they're actually making progress with fusion so we might see the first generation plant using fusion during our lifespan.

Oh and you haven't presented any facts.
>>
>>61235502
I was with you until you tried to one up someone by how much money you make. Jesus.
>>
>>61235540
Why does Africa have such little natural resources?

I thought they had shit tons? (or am I reading this wrong)
>>
File: rbmk_chornobyl_003.jpg (181KB, 900x611px) Image search: [Google]
rbmk_chornobyl_003.jpg
181KB, 900x611px
>>61236255
>>
>>61236976
Just trying to discredit the "hippy" accusation. Part of that stereotype is being dirt poor.
>>
>>61237100
Probably the lack of exploration.
>>
>>61237104

>literally one of the only two severe nuclear accidents and it was only because they decided to experiment and push the reactor too much
>>
File: 1403101730257.png (54KB, 470x338px) Image search: [Google]
1403101730257.png
54KB, 470x338px
>>61235540
>2050

Funny, when I was kid they told me that oil will run out in 2030.
>>
>>61236969
Everything I said was a fact.
>>
>>61236092
>Chinese are rapidly moving away from coal, too.

you fell for the chineses lies they trick the west in to thinking they would become more eco friendly to get better deals.

in reality china plans to open 800 new coal plants
>>
>>61237275
>only because they decided to experiment and push the reactor too much
Not exactly. There were many cooling issues going on at the time. Yes, they did push it too far, but that's only one of the causes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Causes
>>
>>61234943
Lithium can be recycled tho
>>
File: sITgVDl.gif (392KB, 318x161px) Image search: [Google]
sITgVDl.gif
392KB, 318x161px
>>61237928
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.