/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AppleCare failed me/cheated me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: pissed off at modem.jpg (20KB, 625x457px) Image search: [Google]
pissed off at modem.jpg
20KB, 625x457px
This isn't a tech support question per se, I'm asking more of a meta-question.

I have a late-2013 Macbook Pro, fully loaded. It's been great to me so far. Around a month ago it started shutting off randomly, completely random hangs and then the fans would rev up up up and then shut down. Sometimes it would straight turn black, sometimes it would hang. Turning it back on was always difficult after, it sometimes would turn back off again immediately, sometimes it would turn off within 5 minutes.

I tried troubleshooting it - did a fresh install of my OS with no programs. It happened again. I took it to the """Genius""" bar and they did the pleb-diagnostic and it came back clean. That's when I got confused.

I reloaded my old backup OS/setting and tried the fan controller app. I felt like it was running hot, and also it had fan issues in the past. It was running hot and the fans weren't cooling anything.

Long story short, it's out of AppleCare, so I took it to the """Genius""" bar again and told them the story and said I'll have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. I told them I think it's a heat/fan/motherboard issue but I can't isolate it or recreate it and that it just shuts down randomly. The guy did the pleb-diagnostic and it came back clean but he took my word for it and took in my (only) laptop in for ten days.

I don't hear ANYTHING from them until they email me last night telling me to pick it up. I called them twice over the last week and they said they were "still doing tests", which I'm certain was that they hadn't gotten to it yet.

I pick up my laptop today and they tell me they replaced the heatsink and bottom frame, I was initially quoted that they were going to replace the motherboard (logic board) as well and it was going to cost me like $650 total. So I paid a lot less and accepted it.

Tonight it shut off twice again, same symptoms.

What are my options here?
>>
>>61223605
email tim cook and complain
>>
take it to a different place
>>
Don't buy cuck hardware?
>>
>>61223605
This guy knows what he's doing and makes instructional videos and if you pay a pretty penny it'll get fixed as well.
>>
>>61223651
whoops forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFA4sHIXG8s
>>
Well, you can just say fuck the Apple bullshit and take it to an independent store if you trust any of them. If I were you I'd honestly deal with it until you can afford to get a new one, and cut your losses. Apple support is shitty.
>>
>>61223605
don't listen to these fags, take it back to (maybe another) apple store, explain the situation, show that you paid for repairs, and demonstrate that the issue is still happening.

Chances are, they'll repair it again for free, or hook you up with a new/refurb one with equal or greater specs (the latter is what they did for me)
>>
you are fucked, 2011-2013 have hardware defects that you will never fix. they will replace the motherboard or try to bandaid it and the same shit will come back.

ive got a 2011 with a now failing dedicated gpu. even when not using the dedicated one the thing will lock up, shut down, and not turn on until the battery drains completely.

even if i were to get a new one for free (which i cant because its so old), i would just get another 2011 that would get the same problems

bought a 2014 to try and replace it and it was the biggest mistake ive ever made. retina display is fucking useless. i love my 2011 but i have no idea when the next time it will lock up will be
>>
>>61223695
This, don't let them fuck you
>>
>>61223638
I feel cucked by apple, I don't think any other repair shop will be able to source the logic board properly if it is, in fact, that.

>>61223651
>>61223663
Not sure if my problem even is the MoBo or whatever. That's the issue. I can't diagnose it myself to that extent. No tools here.

>>61223673
I have a call with them tomorrow and I'm gonna give them hell. I really don't think they even did a thorough stress test after. I don't think they tested the MoBo at all either.

Do the """geniuses""" in the repair even know how?

>>61223695
>>61223710
I ran out of AppleCare... paying this out of pocket. But I'm definitely raising this issue.

It's a damn good laptop for my purposes. 1TB SSD, 16gb ram, gfx card, retina.

>>61223709
My other theory was that it's a integrated/discreet GFX card issue. I installed a program that allows me to choose between them. I haven't tinkered with it since getting the laptop back. I'll do that after the phone call with support tomorrow.
>>
>>61223730
yes, i run the gfxcardstatus tool, it doesnt fix it. also make sure you run the forked version from the github issues page because the newest version of osx considered that program to require the dedicated gpu and it forces it on.

but who knows, maybe the issue is the integrated gpu and i should force the dedicated one...
>>
>>61223730
You've already paid for repairs once—that's all you need.
>>
File: louis.jpg (148KB, 562x348px) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
148KB, 562x348px
>>61223605
Take it to Louis Rossmann so he can call you a faggot in a new YouTube video.
>>
>>61223778
I don't think they'll make me pay for the 'service' again. But I'm gonna lose it if I have to lose my laptop again for 10 days.

I hate that I now have to stand over them and ensure they actually do what they tell me they're going to do.
>>
>>61223869
There's also a solution to this: ask for a loaner computer.

there's a recent leddit thread where this happened: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6l4i66/insane_apple_store_experience/

>inb4 /r/eddit
>>
>>61223886
The only reasonable thing to do is not buying apple shit
>>
>>61223886
Sweet, thanks

>>61223909
I've been on this one 24/7 since Dec 2013 and I'm incredibly happy with the laptop itself. I really like it and can't afford to get another comparable Mac any time soon.

This bullshit they pulled was surprising for me though.
>>
Fuck, my Mac just started having problems and I don't even have an Apple store in my city. Just gonna have to go in a authorized with 1.6 ratio in Google maps and a lot of complaints around the internet. Wish me luck. My Apple Care ends next month and the problems started to occur yesterday. Hope they will fix without any headaches
>>
>>61223953
What you expected from a company that employs planned obsolescence?
Apple isn't durable or mean to least or be repairable.
I have some old thoshibas and dells with 10+ years running fine even after years of abuse. I don't trust a product I cant open and do at least basic repair with parts from internet.
>>
>>61223988
I gave mine in just before applecare ended to an authorised repair service and they misplaced the left side ports so that the USB was not lining up properly with the frame, same with the headphone jack. God speed brother.
>>
>>61223993
Every Toshiba I've had was a heavy, clunky piece of crap. Same with Dell. HP too.

I had a premium Sony Vaio that was poorly built too.

This Mac, despite some fan issues, and now this stupid one, has lasted me a long time. I know apple is a cunty company but what can I say, I'm out of the 'must be able to repair my hardware' phase of my life. Like, I'll do it if I must but for instance this problem - it would cost at least 300$ to replace the mobo of any premium laptop.
>>
Anyone know where I could find this torrent? "ASD 3S162" it's the pro apple service diagnostic tool I need.
>>
>>61224067
nvm i found it on warez.

Christ. I've been watching Louis Rossman clips and I've started to hate apple.

Thanks everyone.
>>
>>61223605
>Apple
Found your problem.
>>
>4 year old Apple laptop
>trying to repair it
Give up now before you waste more time and money.
>>
>>61223605

first of all: what did they work on?

did they replace the logic board?

if so, go back and tell them that :

>they didn't fix the issue

>fucking actually fix it

the work they did on your Mac is covered for 90 days, don't be a fucking retard cuck and demand they fix it right.
>>
>>61223869

>I hate that I now have to stand over them and ensure they actually do what they tell me they're going to do.

bruh, Apple might be better at the customer service thing than the other PC OEMs but that doesn't mean you should let your guard down. Always read the work auths, understand what it is they are (and aren't) going to work on, understand their warranty on services rendered, and if necessary be ready to call in the manager when shit isn't done right.

If you assume that a corporation is going to do "the right thing" well you're gonna be in a for a lot of disappointment. Now the individual techs and Geniuses may go above and beyond and meet/exceed your expectations, but that's just one person, in one store, who may have a bomb ass management crew that knows how to run shit, that's not necessarily going to carry over to other stores as much as we (and they) would like.

For every good employee and store, there's going to be another Apple Store that will be the polar opposite. Same for anything else retail.
>>
File: 1485637180034.jpg (303KB, 997x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485637180034.jpg
303KB, 997x1000px
>>61223605
>Apple
Found your problem.
>>
>>61223605
Stop buying shit from apple desu. I had a similar issue about a year and a half ago and I just switched to linux and have no regrets.
>>
>>61223605
>Apple
Found your problem.
>>
You need to kick off. I've had issues with apple products out of applecare before and have ended up having repairs/replacements done for free because in the end they want you to keep buying from them at full price for the next 20 years rather than charge you for a repair and you never buy from them again.

It helps if you've got an account with a fair number of devices on obviously because they just open that up and see their potential return on a minimal outlay.
>>
Don't buy Apple shit.
Here, fixed your problem cuck.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.