[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 17

File: 1472006621334.jpg (10KB, 400x168px)
1472006621334.jpg
10KB, 400x168px
Which one, /g/?
>>
>>61220995
Java
>>
File: glider.gif (43KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
glider.gif
43KB, 500x666px
python

who doesnt love being able to solve every minor inconvenience by writing what is basically pseudocode
>>
>>61221039
Ruby's syntax is better, though, and easier to write.
>>
>>61220995
I prefer pretty much everything about Ruby, however I work in data science and I'm pretty much forced to use Python. Python isn't bad, the syntax just feels restrictive at times.
Perl is Bash 2.0 to me. Perl 6 is completely different but I've never studied it seriously.
>>
File: 1498108612020.webm (924KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
1498108612020.webm
924KB, 600x336px
Python have best userbase.
Java and ruby just a bunch of neckbeard losers!
>>
c#
>>
File: puggly.jpg (17KB, 460x423px) Image search: [Google]
puggly.jpg
17KB, 460x423px
>>61221045

just out of curiosity, what do you use Ruby for? The main reason i got into Python was because the industry standard GIS software (ESRI ArcGIS) had a python API, so it was really worth my time learning it. I find that lots of other software suites have Python APIs and there is a robust library for just about every single thing i can think of doing.

Besides random file operations, where do you think Ruby performs better than Python? I just don't see the point in learning a whole new language just to do the same shit.
>>
>>61221188
Ruby and Python do the same stuff. Python's community is just more focused around research and data science, while Ruby's is centered around Rails.
You can do research and data with Ruby, and web development with Python, though. It's just about the community, thus the documentation/support
>>
>>61221131

>that video

what the fuck

is this VR hentai or something
>>
>>61221215

>Rails

what is this?

maybe it makes sense that i like python so much because im more involved in research / data science like you said
>>
>>61220995
Python. They're all shit but Python has the best library support and the biggest community by far. Ruby is dead as fuck and the primary implementation is ridiculously bad and will never improve significantly.
>>
>>61221188
He's a web developer using Rails. If someone uses Ruby you can safely assume they're using Rails for CRUD web apps.
>>
>>61221123
Why does data science have such a hardon for python?
and is perl 6 that different from 5? I've never tried either
>>
>>61221188
Ruby is popular for web applications due to the Ruby on Rails framework.
Curiously, Ruby is also used in most of the modern provisioning tools. Puppet, Vagrant, Chef, Capistrano, Homebrew are all written in Ruby.
That anon is right too, Ruby probably has a better syntax for an advanced user. Ruby even has some lisp-like metaprogramming features.
>>
>>61221346
>better syntax for an advanced user
how bad is it as a first language compared to python?
>>
python because features
its like c#, but less bloat
>>
>>61221341
>Why does data science have such a hardon for python?
Numpy, pandas and stuff are good.
>>
Python
Also learn JavaScript, C++ and some meme functional language.
>>
>>61221341
I'm not sure how Python got so entrenched in data science. If I'm honest with you, I still prefer pure R to Python for data. R is built around the concept of dataframes, for example. Python has Pandas but it isn't a fundamental part of the language.
Perl 5 was the hot shit before Python, so you find it in some older data science programs. Perl 6 supposedly fixes some of those problems, but I've never used it much. But it looks really interesting because has things like Lisp-style macros, lazy evaluation, sigils, blocks, closures, static typing, etc.
>>61221376
It's probably a tossup which is better as a first language. I prefer the syntax and flexibility of Ruby however, I don't get to use it professionally because of the availability of data science libraries.
>>
>>61221245
Rails is web framework for Ruby, which is gay language that is even slower than Python used by only web developers and has hideous syntax
>>
>>61221341

often times data scientists are more interested in just getting results on their data and not obsessively managing memory and worrying if enough is allocated here or there. that's where libraries like numpy come in - they leverage all the good parts of C (fast as fuck) and combine in with the good parts of python (dead simple to write)
>>
>>61220995
Perl
>>
>>61221346
>has a better syntax for an advanced user

That gets constantly abused to create messes like Rails 5. If you like every library incompatibly monkey patching core classes and constantly dynamically modifying ancestor chains then Ruby is definitely the language for you. There will be bugs everywhere and it will be impossible for the JIT to optimize anything but the code will be aesthetic!

Ansible, Saltstack and Docker are all far better options for provisioning. The Ruby based tools are all way too slow and, like Ruby, are dying.
>>
>>61220995
Camel can eat a ruby and shit on snakes, 100% win
>>
>>61221532
t. doesn't know either
>>
>>61221555
>Ruby is dying
Nice meme.
Starbucks hipsters switching over to node doesn't mean anything. You probably believe Perl is dead too.
>>
>>61221605
Actually I think Python is dying, but Ruby is decaying too. Perl 6 proved Perl is back and kills both.
>>
>>61221555
Ansible and Docker are a lot better, I'll give you that.
>>
>>61221648
That's not how things work. Why would Perl 6 change anything to Python and Ruby's respective (and pretty different) userbases? Especially for the latter, web developers won't use Perl anymore.
Also, the upcoming Rails update is probably going to make Ruby more popular than ever due to the added support of all the gimmicky JS shit.
>>
>>61221704
>upcoming Rails update is probably
I think you may be a little biased, don't you think? Of course you get a loyal fanbase who refuse to use anything else and languages like Ruby and Python always had fans, but ultimately is about what things you can do, and Perl is advanced as elegant and even simple to start with.
>>
>>61221704
>Rails update is probably going to make Ruby more popular than ever due to the added support of all the gimmicky JS shit

Won't happen. All they added was a very simple webpack config on top of the dog shit asset pipeline.

It's extremely obvious that Ruby is dying and there's only 2 Japs and 1 American even actively working on the primary Ruby implementation.
>>
>>61220995
You are looking for a scripting language right?
If you use a Unix/Linux derivative you should consider Perl.
CPAN is great! and the integration with man awesome. Don't know how one library works just man [Module]
>>
tooling x libraries x performance x community
answer these and the debate between ruby and python is pretty much over
>>
>>61222179
>'t know how one library works just man [Module]
Nice, I wonder how good the integration with Pinto is.
>>
>>61221522
perl 6 is DOA after being stuck in dev hell for a decade
>>
>>61223355
>DOA
Think again because you're wrong.
>>
>>61220995
Perl forever and ever
>>
File: 1499184530325.jpg (152KB, 419x419px) Image search: [Google]
1499184530325.jpg
152KB, 419x419px
>>61220995
NodeJS and JavaScript. No reason to learn any of these obsolete dinosaur languages.
>>
>>61221533
same with any other industries when they wanted result in a day or less
>>
>>61220995
As for languages Python > *

Community Perl > *
>>
where did all these perl shills come from, perl has never been more irrelevant, literally below shell and R on github
>>
>>61221038
>>61221185
>>61223474
These aren't in OP's pic you illiterate morons
>>
>>61223580
>implying that any of the ones in OP's pic are worth learning compared to JS, C# or Java
JavaScript can do everything, runs on every platform and has guaranteed relevancy for at least the next hundred years. If you're starting from zero, it would be retarded to go with Ruby, Perl or Python when you can just learn JS.
>>
>>61223628
Are you retarded?
>>
>>61223641
There is no reason to use Ruby, Perl or Python. None. JavaScript does everything they can do and is not going away for a very long time. And those other languages are all in decline.
>>
>>61221188
To give at least one answer that's not "rails", I use ruby all the time for text processing. Its first-class regular expressions are indispensable. Basically, I use it like an easier perl.

>>61221282
>ruby's primary implementation will never improve
That's kind of a ridiculous assertion, given that it got a huge amount faster between 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 (as much as 2x for every one of those releases). It could certainly get that much better again. In any case, it doesn't matter when I mostly use it for crunching text, as long as it's fast enough--which it is.
>>
>>61221522
>I'm not sure how Python got so entrenched in data science. If I'm honest with you, I still prefer pure R to Python for data. R is built around the concept of dataframes, for example. Python has Pandas but it isn't a fundamental part of the language.

I'd imagine the combination of the ease-of-use that comes with Python and the speed advantages of C are probably the main reason.
>>
>>61223658
python is growing surprisingly, not in a decline, despite the massive 2 to 3 shitshow and poor quality of cpython
>>
>>61223717
>poor quality of cpython

This is why I tell anyone who thinks about donating to the PSF to donate to PyPy instead. Their 3.x implementation is no where near complete but it has major performance advantages over CPython.
>>
>>61223717
Good. I love significant whitespace. It should be standard
>>
>>61223540
this
who uses perl any more
are you the same guys still maintaining COBOL bank systems?
>>
>>61220995
fuck, kill, marry
>>
i like perl but it's so impure

fuck whoever came up with XS
>>
>>61223540
>where did all these people using Perl come from
Who say we ever leave?
>>
Python at a glance looks simple and psuedocode-like, but its really a language of ugly kludges. Ruby is a beautiful language to the core, its a language thats consistent at every level. You can learn Ruby at its deepest level right from the beginning because there are good books that teach it well so you will never ever have to go to stackoverflow to try and figure out why something is the way it is. Anyone who likes Python is a simpleton who probably learned the language from reading Zed Shaws print statement books.

That said, Julia is better than both Ruby and Python. It has syntax that is just as easy to understand as Ruby and Python but has much more powerful higher order functions.

I think its cute that Perl 6 is being memed in this thread, anyone who could look at the syntax of that language and seriously want to use it is insane:
my @array = 'a', 'b', 'c';
my $element = @array[1]; # $element equals 'b'
my @extract = @array[1]; # @extract equals ('b')
my @extract = @array[1, 2]; # @extract equals ('b', 'c')
>>
>>61221131
>t. Pajeet
>>
>Syntax: Ruby > Python >> Perl.
Ruby is the comfiest. I like Perl, but mostly due to nostalgia, it is a super ugly language.
>Libraries: Python > Ruby ~ Perl
Not 100% sure about this one, if anyone has more experience, please chime in. Perl has CPAN, Ruby has gems, both are huge, CPAN is older, though I'm not sure how active it is these days.
>Webdev: Ruby >= Python > Perl
Rails is easier and there's tons of webdev-related gems. Django is harder to grasp but it's more flexible. Perl has Catalyst (or CGI scripting if you're in a 90s mood).
>Text processing: Perl > Ruby > Python
This is where Perl shines.
>Documentation: Ruby >= Python > Perl
I love ruby-doc.org. Python docs are pretty good, too, but can be somewhat dense in my experience. Perl's docs are man-pages-tier, which is fine by me, but can be daunting at first.
>>
>>61220995
Do you want a job? Ruby
Are you anal retentive? Python
Do you want to have fun while you program ? Perl
>>
>>61223963
Hilarious yet true.
>>
>>61223963
>Do you want a job? Ruby

>implying there aren't as many jobs (if not more) with Python
>>
>>61223963
There are far more Python jobs than Ruby and Ruby is quickly declining and only used for CRUD Rails web apps.
>>
>>61223658
Javascript doesn't even have Integers.
>>
I am baffled by Python's popularity in data science. R has its built in data analysis features, Perl is great for text parsing, but Python provides nothing helpful. Python's interpreter can't even catch those variable name misspellings that the other languages can catch. Even Ruby would be better for data science since it handles functional programming in a sane manner and its only worthwhile implementation runs in the JVM; thus providing easy access to large numbers of excellent libraries.
>>
>>61224512
>I am baffled by Python's popularity in data science.

Ease of use (Python) mixed with performance (C).
>>
>>61220995
Ruby, Camel, python
>>
>>61220995
python by far
>>
>>61223628
> javascript
> guaranteed relevancy for at least the next hundred years

I give it 5 years after Webassembly is implemented that no-one will even remember Javascript.
>>
>>61223951
>>Syntax: Ruby > Python >> Perl.

No.

Syntactic whitespace is an abomination.
>>
>>61225067
This tbhfam
>>
C
>>
GUYS were is the web dev general??? i need it
>>
>>61224875
I don't think you really understand whats intended for web assembly, namely the fact it is meant to compliment JS in the same way as native node modules compliment node apps. Nobody will be writing web apps in pure web assembly, namely because it won't have access to the DOM.
>>
>Ruby is declining
Is this really true? Why?
Will it become worthless to employers?
>>
>>61221228
It is russian propaganda
>>
>>61223658
This. Java Script is most powerful programming language in the world.
>>
>>61226212
That's not C.
>>
Visual basic
>>
File: photo.jpg (76KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
76KB, 900x900px
>>61220995
golang
>>
>>61221131
>govnocode
are there really that many Russians here? I see screen caps in Russian here some times.
>>
Perl.

Ruby has no community and everything written in python is horrifying trash.
Perl is at least consistently (if confusingly written) bullshit
>>
>>61220995
PHP
>>
>>61226847
>Ruby has no community
The fuck are you talking about
>>
>>61226907
besides your local San Francisco gay bar
>>
>>61221188
>just out of curiosity, what do you use Ruby for?
As embedded interpreter. MRuby is better at this than CPython and there is no such thing as MPython.
>inb4 MicroPython
MicroPython is a mess for Arduino-like toys, not an equivalent to MRuby.
>>
>>61221282
Now switch Python with Ruby and it is true. Not necessarily in the shithole you live, but where it's relevant.
>>
File: 1467865334194.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1467865334194.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>>61221532
You must have a small brain to think Python has better syntax than Ruby.
>>
>>61226924
>t. /g/ fizzbuzz expert
>>
Going to put in a good word for Ruby.

Ruby has many of the capabilities of Lisp, the regexps and sysadmin power of Perl, and a proper object oriented implementation like Smalltalk. It has great syntax and a lot of 'magic'.

E.g.
require8 'active_support/all'

new_time = 1.month.from_now

>>61221282
Ruby dying in web development is a meme. Most of the websites switching to Node or Elixir should've never been made with Rails in the first place. Rails is still the best for quickly developing complex websites that don't get Twitter-levels of requests.
>>
>>61222179
Why not bash?
>>
>>61223847

>implying you can learn anything from Zed Shaw
>>
>>61226831
Дa
>>
I'd say Python, but I'm not a Ruby developer.

The impression I get is that Ruby isn't nearly as popular any more and there are a lot fewer jobs, this wasn't the case half a decade ago but a lot has changed. I do full stack with Python; I didn't see a single ad for Ruby developers the last time I took a look at job postings. Ded lang?

Heaps of interest in Python, Django, Flask developers though.

Its a fantastic language as a first lang and it probably has the best community going right now. Really, I'd recommend it to anyone as a first language even if they never intended on using it as anything other than a tool to learn.
>>
>>61223963
> Perl actually being fun.
Not when it is someone else's Perl code.
>>
>>61228216
True in most cases, but from Perl 6 this is kind of not the case anymore
>>
>>61220995
Ocaml for everything that you run as root. I've made the switch and don't regret it.
>>
Ruby is a far better language, more fun to use, easier to extend with C/C++. It has gained a lot of traction in sysadmin/devops tools like Chef. Python has a bigger community, more libs especially for scientific data manipulation and probably has more jobs available. Perl is a lot of fun too but its usage is quickly declining.

If you're programming as a hobby for fun, definitely Ruby. I also don't get the mentality of some people in this board, where the only metric they use is which one has more job postings available. In that case you should just learn Java and forgot about everything else.
>>
>>61226723
That's right, not C. JavaScript.
>>
File: camelia-logo.png (56KB, 261x243px) Image search: [Google]
camelia-logo.png
56KB, 261x243px
Reminder to use Pinto, the Perl module repository manager
>>
File: SimCity-Tk.gif (115KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SimCity-Tk.gif
115KB, 1024x768px
Tcl/Tk
>>
>>61221131
What was that shitvid made in?
>>
>>61225161
Deus Vult
>>
>>61220995
Perl, I can respect ruby but if you use python anything more than light automation u can suck cocks with Guido
>>
>>61220995

Hey OP,

make up your own mind.
Take 2 days to learn each language and then decide which felt best..

For me it's Ruby, because IMHO Ruby gives you the best of both worlds. But some people prefer Python or Perl. So..

Here's a short overview:

>Python

The basic philosophy is to solve everything with functions. This makes it very easy to keep the overview and to know what's happening:

a = b(c(d("blabla")))

Whitespace indention makes python pograms feel short and concise:

if this():
if that():
return something

Downsides are some minor inconsistencies within the language, the incompatibility between python2 and python3 and sometimes python is not very beautiful (string handling is overly complex and not very intuitive)

>Perl

Arguably the most beautiful languae. Perl is the oldschool hacker language and everyone has somehow respect for Perl hackers. On the other hand you'll find a lot of comments like "Write once, never touch it again" because you can write pretty unreadable syntax. But Perl is good fun.

>Ruby

The basic philosophy is to solve everything with the object model and to chain things. This makes it very easy to hide complexity and to delegate the control:

String.new("blabla").do_this.do_that(2).and_then_do_something

The syntax is super short and beautiful, often you can guess the name of a function and get away with it.
>>
>>61226831
Дa
>>
>>61220995
As somebody who had this dillema around 2 years ago I can say; don't take perl if you're not going to use it regularly.

Had fun learning it, wrote few scripts, they worked and that was it. If I wanted to write another one from scratch now - I'd have to refresh almost entire knowledge.

tl;dr;
Python. Perl if you will use it every day/week.
>>
>>61226831
Not just here.
>>
>>61221188
steve?
>>
>>61229229
JavaScript is a clusterfuck, the syntax is horrible.
>>
>>61230242
But still it is the most powerful programming language. C fags BTFO
>>
>>61228017
Shell scripting IMO is annoying and error-prone unless your script is small. That's why I just use POSIX sh (more portable than bash) for simple scripting and Python for bigger stuff. I think I will learn & use Perl instead of Python, though. Python is definitely useful in various areas but I feel like Perl is *the* scripting language on Unixy systems.
>>
Just use sepples for everything. There's literally a library for everything you'd ever wanted to do.
>>
>>61225546
mainly*
So compile e.g. C++ to WASM and use some DOM binding/framework written in JS?
>>
>>61220995
Out of those three, Ruby. I'm a huge fan of the syntax and readability. Also, there is a ton of documentation online for any issue you might run into.

Check out Why's poignant guide to Ruby http://poignant.guide/
>>
>>61230242
No it's not. The syntax is beautiful. It's just horribly misused.
>>
>>61231161
>the syntax is beautiful
Explain yourself.
>>
>>61231468
Using JavaScript FUNCTIONALLY as it's supposed to be used, making use of small composable functions, combined with the arrow syntax in ES6, combined with properly applied prototypal composition, combined with JSON (Which is by far the most aesthetically pleasing data format - Especially in CoffeeScript). It's hard for other languages to even compete. JS is a fantastic language, it's just that 98% of the people who "develop" in it are retarded copy/paste code monkeys.
>>
>>61231661
How do I learn to use JS correctly?
>>
>>61221648

>Perl 6 proved Perl is back and kills both.

Only in Larry Wall's dream.
>>
>>61231779
Read the spec and avoid OOP garbage.
>>
File: mpj.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mpj.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
>>61231779
Watch this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0zVEGEvSaeHJppaRLrqjeTPnCH6vw-sm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0zVEGEvSaeEd9hlmCXrk5yUyqUag-n84

Also, learning Haskell made my JavaScript development a billion times better. Just write a lot of code and start a lot of projects. Never stop learning and never assume you are as good as you are going to get.
>>
>>61231779
JavaScript: The Good Parts

Super easy to find a free pdf.
>>
File: 262641.jpg (31KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
262641.jpg
31KB, 460x460px
>>61232189
Fuck off Douglas Cuckford. You can't make me use semi-colons! REEEEEE
>>
>>61231910
>>61231963
>>61232189
Basically I should avoid doing what every webdev does (reading mozilla/w3c docs)? How long does it take to learn good JS?
And why is JS OOP bad? Is stuff like jQuery bad as well?
>>
>>61226831
Who do you think makes all the pro-Trump threads?
>>
>>61232708
Reading the spec and the MDN docs is a great way to learn the language. The MDN docs are quite good.
>>
>>61220995
I'm most familiar with Ruby and like it the best.
OCaml seems neat but I've never touched it.
I don't like Python very much but I have to use it for a class.
>>
>>61221188
manipulate text files, scrap webs, cli utilities etc.

All related tools are mature and stable.
>>
>>61221532
>slower than python
pypy doesn't count.
>>
>>61221648
ruby 3.0 in 3 years.
with concurrency support and type annotations.
Ruby still has not dead, yet.
>>
>>61224875
wasm doesn't have direct access to DOM
>>
>>61220995

Python has a huge library.
>>
>>61220995

ruby on rails
>>
>>61220995
vibed
http://vibed.org/
>>
>>61233564
https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r14&hw=ph&test=json

I'm not even sure how it's possible to be as slow as Rails. It's consistently one of the worst, if not the worst, in benchmarks and half the tests are barely doing any work and have most middleware disabled.

If your framework can't do at least 50,000 reqs/sec when returning static JSON on that hardware it's inexcusably awful. It's impressive how slow Rails is and how bad the main Ruby implementation is.
>>
>>61232189
It was published in like 2010 or something. Isn't it outdated?
>>
>>61233606
>with concurrency support and type annotations

Won't happen. The three developers actively working on the primary Ruby implementation have absolutely no idea how to accomplish any of this.

The Ruby 3x3 initiative has been even more of a joke.

> we'll make it three times faster
> how?
> dunno lol
>>
I absolutely love the Rails framework, but I enjoy the Python syntax more than Ruby. All the jobs around me (I'm in Austin, TX), seem to require Python, and nobody uses Ruby around here. Not going to waste my time learning Ruby/Rails and still be out of a job. Never met someone that programmed in Perl.
>>
>>61220995
Just begun to learn Perl and so far I enjoy it.
>>
>>61221188
you r newfag to not know the software?
>>
>>61233697
rails slowness != ruby slowness your stupid fuck.
>>
>>61233724
>> dunno lol
well they can, but using 9x more memory, which is not desirable.
>>
>>61232708
The MDN docs are great but OOP is dumb because it's shoehorned into the language and is inefficient. There is no need to learn jQuery these days but you can if you want. Just don't get stuck using it forever. It's fine for a beginner but it won't teach you the language as well as vanilla JS will.

Prototypal inheritance is actually easier to understand and more flexible than OOP but people suck at explaning it properly because they lean too much on OOP concepts. Check out these >>61231963 videos for some of the best explanations out there.

If you want to get good at JS, just make games. That's been the most enjoyable experience for me and I learned so much. Wiring up webpages is what I do with my day job and it's usually not as technically challenging.
>>
>>61233812
Ruby is also pathetically slow as well and basically nobody uses Ruby outside of Rails projects. If Rails dies Ruby is dying with it.
>>
>>61233887
>basically nobody uses Ruby outside of Rails projects

>didn't even read the thread.

Fuck off.
>>
>>61233875
>OOP is dumb
I've never seen anyone code in JS without OOP. What am I missing?
>>
>>61233887
Rails won't die anytime soon.
>>
>>61235123
>I've never seen anyone code in JS without OOP
Then you haven't met any god tier JS developers. The "OO" support in JS is very weak and does not play to the language's strengths at all. It's a crutch for developers coming from other languages.

See this page for a very brief introduction to the way JS really handles objects. https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Object/create

And also see these playlists which I already mentioned earlier >>61231963
>>
File: typical rubyist.png (1010KB, 800x1029px) Image search: [Google]
typical rubyist.png
1010KB, 800x1029px
>>61227063
and Lua is better than both embedded, Ruby is pointless
>>
>>61237057
Lua even has a beautiful significant whitespace version to transpile from https://moonscript.org/. It's fucking great. Ruby looks like dogshit compared to Moonscript
>>
>>61221384

How the fuck is Python like C#? It's not even statically typed.
>>
>>61229682
>The basic philosophy is to solve everything with functions

Wouldn't that imply using a proper functional language? Why Python then?
>>
>>61226723
You mean that's not ((lisp)).
>>
>>61221131
pls what is govnocode
>>
>>61233672
python is infastructure
>>
Why do you guys think Perl was dead when so many are still using it? Also great surprise to see is getting popular again.
>>
>>61220995
Which one doesn't have a retarded code of conduct
>>
>>61224512
Everything has to have a standard. They just gravitated towards Python.
>>
>>61239596
/g/ doesn't know shit.
>>
>>61220995
Python 3

/thread
>>
Pascal
>>
>>61242622
from this very thread it seems like /g/ mostly consist of undergrads who only know python/java thanks to their classes
>>
>>61244394
people just give good advice, hard to find a more useful and productive combo than python/java
>>
>>61220995
<100 lines script? Python.
Otherwise, ocaml.
>>
>>61224512
>R
Basically impossible to make it do anything useful GPUwise and very poor preexisting infrastructure to start from. Additionally, way too unpopular.
>Perl
Couldn't be less useful in data science.
>Python
Popular and already had math shit and gpu shit in place.

Note that python is in fact abysmal for datascience: we end up writing larger programs and trying to get python code in production is always hell. In the end we run in python and then produce using a custom C runtime that just takes parameters obtained from the python script. Everyone has their own custom C runtime too, it's downright silly.

For data science, we absolutely would need a statically typed language with easy computational graph creation to run on GPUs (including multigpu: both data and model parallelism is needed) and good supporting libraries (net download, excel parsing, google docs operations, data management such as solid hdf5 read/write capabilities, etc.), but that's just not happening. So we suffer tremendously.
>>
>>61245842
The first part of your post is just ridiculous. Your praising for Python is illogical, only because it has a big library it doesn't mean it covers everything and better than R.
>>
>>61245930
t. brainlet larper
>>
>unironically using any of those

Get with the time, anon. node.js is what you need now.
>>
>>61223580

Ruby is old
>>
rust
t. meme faller
>>
>>61246034
Rust is "so close yet so far". It's a strict step up from C++ which is the marginal optimal for application development, but the borrow checker really gets in the way quite often because it's not rich enough to allow for good proofs of correctness and cannot be disabled cleanly either. Also traits are really just a NIH thing and don't enable anything particularly useful. It would have been great if traits could simply be a way to refer to a group of features an object has: no need to talk about inheritance this way, if something has function X and Y, then it satisfies the condition "object has function X" as well as the condition "object has function Y". And there's no need to even know, in either direction, any name related to these functions (no need to implement "interface Z": all objects that have function X satisfy the requirement "object has function X" regardless of location or scope and such).
>>
>>61245842
>but that's just not happening.
Haskell.
>>
>>61220995
I loved perl, but now I do python every fucking time.
Never used ruby
>>
Python was never good, and Ruby only attribute was RAILS
>>
>>61223847
> Use strict is shit

> Wow, list and variable isn't writted the same way, orrible syntax.
>>
>>61221648
>Perl 6 proved Perl is back and kills both.
Nah.
It might have, if it was ready 10 years ago.
>>61237057
>>61237095
Lua hasn't even custom types or a standard library worth mentioning. Or even a common version everyone relies on. Whereas Ruby is an ISO standard and mruby is an audited interpreter for embedding.
And source to source compilers ("or transpiler", as absolute trash programmers call it) are complete dogshit.
>>61246487
True. That being said, of all the memes you can/should do with an interpreter web dev is the most valid one.
>>
>>61246374
>pure functional
>no viable GPU solution, only neet mum's basement broken trash
>no computation graph construction at all
>low-quality, and few, supporting libraries
>>>/trash/
>>
>>61246664
>Use strict is shit
He's right, it is a red flag. Only utter shit langs like Perl, JS and VBA have a strict mode.
>>
>>61246695
At least give an actual argument against
>>
>>61246728
I did. But in case you don't actually know Perl, JS, VBA or even Bash for that matter:
It's only included in languages that shit where the creators didn't spend more than 5 minutes in language design and tried to damage control it by removing the 2 or so worst semantical flaws, leaving a cesspool that would have been better with a complete rewrite to begin with.
>>
OCaml. Python and Ruby are far too slow.

Protip: Nim for those who like Python but not its performance
>>
>>61246839
>Protip: Nim for those who like Python but not its performance
But do they have a proper to LLVM-IR/GCC-IR compiler instead of the semantics leaking to-C compiler?
>>
>>61246807
Still no proof. DO you even understand what a scripting language is supposed to do? Is not C, is more high level than that.
>>
>>61231963
Thanks for the link anon.

Did 4chan servers shit themselves earlier?
>>
>>61246839
Python and ruby, sure. But ocaml is fast as all fuck.
>>
>>61245842
>For data science, we absolutely would need a statically typed language with easy computational graph creation to run on GPUs (including multigpu: both data and model parallelism is needed) and good supporting libraries (net download, excel parsing, google docs operations, data management such as solid hdf5 read/write capabilities, etc.), but that's just not happening. So we suffer tremendously.
We already have that, Julia is a scripting language that compiles to machine code and has the speed of compiled languages. It was designed to replace R and Matlab. It can handle huge data sets. It will completely erase R from use when more people find out about it.
>>
>>61247267
Julia is a complete joke and no, it doesn't have the properties listed there beside the language design. The language implementation even removes that advantage from julia.
>>
>>61246998
>proof
>baaah that was no proof
You don't understand what high-level means. It doesn't mean applying retarded heuristics like all kinds of type coercion to try to satisfy what faggots could mean.
>>
What languages pay the most? And in which fields?
eg. systems eng with C, data science with Python, web with JS, whatever

Basically what field + languages have the most $$$?
>>
>>61237644
typing isnt the only feature that defines a language
>>
>all these plebs confusing the Perl logo for OCaml
>>
>>61239596
Perl is effectively the first scripting language. Before Perl there were just shell languages that integrated with unix utilities like sed, awk, grep, etc to be able to function. Perl was the first language to integrate all the system functions for opening files, concating data, searching and parsing with an integrated regexp engine. Perl is very single mindedly designed to handle string data in files, string and file I/O are built into the core syntax of the language. It is still the secret weapon of every sys admin wizard. But Perl is absolutely worthless for doing anything else other than sys admin tasks.
>>
File: 1493404865661.png (602KB, 963x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493404865661.png
602KB, 963x720px
memes aside, how does PHP7+ compare to Ruby and Python?
>>
>>61248870
Are sys admin wizards a dying breed? How do I become one?
>>
>>61248910
Honestly the ones I know are self taught. You learn it like everyone else learns it, get books on what ever *nix youre going to use, learn C and Perl, learn the sys call API.
>>
>>61248887
PHP7 is faster
>>
>>61248845
>perltards are such pleb they want people to notice them instead of actual good languages so they steal great languages' logos and then wonder why nobody thinks of perl when seeing them
>>
>>61221045
It isn't though. It's what you get if you take the python language and have fortran vomit all over it.
>>
>>61248870
Can Ruby replace Perl?
>>
>>61248870
Its as good as Python or Ruby for webdev. Its just that very few people know that Perl's moved on from the CGI.pm days
>>
does it really matter which one you use? php, pearl, python, ruby, etc. As long as it can work with DB's, right? Even Javascript can do that shit now.
>>
>>61250934
of course, pretty much every scripting language comes with what Perl has as part of their standard libraries, file I/O, string functions, regexps. The difference is that Perl has a lot of this file and string functionality built right into its core syntax operators.
>>
>>61251576
But Ruby takes a lot of elements of Perl.
>>
>>61220995
Ruby.
>>
>>61250934
No, is not nearly as powerful enough and whoever says otherwise is lying
>>
>>61221039
How is that supposed to be funny?
>>
>>61220995
only SJWs use Ruby
only literally your dad people use Perl
I guess that leaves Python
>>
>>61248887
Some convenience shit shoveled on top of the last two rounds of convenience shit. It doesn't address the fundamental issues that have plagued PHP since it's been a language but it's made it somewhat less horrible to work in day-to-day.
>>
>>61251576
Is that really a good thing though? I don't really want my parser to have opinions about OS level constructs, the regex operators have lead to some common pathologies in perl (a big contributor to why people consider it an unreadable language)
>>
>>61252593
>powerful
>using meme buzzwords
>>
>>61220995
>>61220995
Ruuuuuby.
>>
>>61252711
No regex like Perl
No math or bio oriented libraries
Not nearly as extensible
>>
>>61252853
Everyone has implemented PCRE at this point, it's in python and ruby's standard library.
>>
>>61252881
if you say so then it must be true
>>
>>61252919
https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.2.0/Regexp.html
https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html
>>
>>61252963
You said these were PCRE, like Perl
>>
>>61253012
Are they not?
>>
>>61253012
as if anyone can't link to libpcre, not an argument to keep a shitty language around
>>
>>61253074
Not him, but the only real argument to regex with Perl is really that Perl strings have no size limit. The language is made so that you can consume all available memory on your system with a single string. If I recall correctly, 64 bit Ruby and Python are limited to some stupidly large string size that's more than likely to be several times the amount of memory your computer probably has, but not necessarily.
>>
>>61253204
I don't know about ruby but CPython does not have a max string size beyond what is addressable by the process, so 2^WORD_SIZE which couldn't possibly be less than perl
>>
>>61246163
> It's a strict step up from C++
even from shit like C++17?

I don't plan to learn rust unless it becomes popular, just curious
>>
>>61221341
data scientists are often not computer scientists and python is the stereotypical learn-a-language language, therefore people make frameworks for python, these get popular and now everything must be made in python.
>>
>>61249778
>fortran
Yeah you don't know shit
>>
>3: I am a scripting language
>Do what i want you to do, because you are a mere script and i am your master
>Ruby: Okay, but you have to speak like a Japanese first.
>Python: No, i am better than you. I am cosmopolitan and well-educated. Bow to me slave.
>Perl: Although i have a bad reputation and some unfortunate family history, i will do what i can for you boss. We can do this!
>>
>>61220995
all three are so hecking bad holy shit

I have no idea why they're introduced (well Ruby and Python at least) as "beginners languages"

they're absolute minefields of inconsistent syntax and bullshite abstractions. teaching a kid ruby/python first is essentially condemning him to be an eternal computer nigger brainlet who just jockeys libraries his entire life

high level scripting languages should only be introduced after students have learned at least one of the following: Haskell, Scheme, or ML -- as well as C. that way they know which 80% of syntax they should ignore so as not to make godawful code
>>
>>61221131
what the fuck is govnocode?
>>
>>61252645
spot the brainlet

if you need this explained to you, then just fuck off back to the graphics card thread that brought you here in the first place
>>
>>61254976
>condemning him to be an eternal computer nigger brainlet
Yeah because everyone who started with BASIC never produced anything of value, right?
As long as you keep learning, it doesn't matter what you started with. Stop perpetuating this meme that leads to "am I fucked if I started with X" threads five times a day.
>>
>>61254981
Gównokod, shitcode.
>>
>>61254998
>As long as you keep learning, it doesn't matter what you started with
sure, but there are easy ways to learn and hard ways to learn

learning through Python/Ruby makes the true spirit of computer science much more difficult to approach

since "coding" as a blue collar profession is now taking off, these languages have value as black boxes that retired miners can learn how to automate stuff with, but for a serious young learner of actual computer science they are inherently harmful
>>
>>61255023
>learning through Python/Ruby makes the true spirit of computer science much more difficult to approach
Only if you don't learn anything else afterwards.
You're not forced to start with C. You can gain a deeper understanding of how things work at any point in time provided that you actually want to learn.
You're basically saying that starting with language X instead of language Y makes you a bad programmer. That's not true.
>for a serious young learner of actual computer science they are inherently harmful
Why?
If you're not a complete retard, you'll be able to grasp the lower level concepts required to understand C even if you've done web shit before. It doesn't matter.
Similarly, reading K&R and SICP doesn't necessarily make you good at computer science.
>>
File: 1497195658180.jpg (49KB, 640x637px) Image search: [Google]
1497195658180.jpg
49KB, 640x637px
>>61220995
python 2 NON STOP PROBLEMS WITH ENCODING

why is fucking 32-bit version even a thing

REEEEEE
>>
File: 1499216356157.jpg (21KB, 625x457px) Image search: [Google]
1499216356157.jpg
21KB, 625x457px
>>61254976
I use scripting languages for my day job but I unironically agree with this post 100%.
>>
>>61220995

Which syntax do you like the best?

def something(__self__):
do ";".this(and(then().that())):
for x in [2,4,6][::-1]:
if __self__:
return "$%&".encode(encoding='UTF-8',errors='strict')

==> Pyhon

sub What{
foreach $item (@_){
if %you $want {
// reads in a file, opens a socket and calculates the time to send that file
return $.#*(%"$&$)$.%$§3§$##5$83§&#+;
}
}
}

==> Perl

def test
a = some_function_here and: some_parameters, and yet_another
a.get_and_do_without_being_have_to_be_callable_and_return!
a
end

==> Ruby
>>
>>61256859
Perl.
>>
>>61256859
They don't do the same thing and they are all badly written.
>>
>>61252645
how is it not?
Thread posts: 237
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.