[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archiving VHS Tapes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: $_1.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
Is there anything out there that can record wavelengths in the Megahertz range. I've wanted to archive some very valuable broadcast VHS and U-Matic Tapes and while I have made 12mbps h264 copies of these tapes, I feel that recording the actual wave signal that is stored on the tape is the purest way to prolong the lifespan of the contentin the tape. It's kind of like having data on a floppy disk, transferring it to a hard disk, then to an ssd, you have the same exact content, just on another medium.
>>
OP here nvm i found it on google
>>
File: 01retard.jpg (72KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
01retard.jpg
72KB, 800x500px
>>61210030
yeah, you should try googling shit before asking.
>>
>>61210054
OP here (Seriously)
You Think I didn't do that already?
>>
>>61210030
OP. Since you found the solution, mind posting it????
>>
>>61210145
So you think I found the solution? I don't have a solution, that's why I'm here, to see if anyone else has come up on this subject specifically.
>>
There's little to no chance you'll ever find a way to do this. Unless you build / modify a machine that will do it, or find someone that has done it. As far as I can tell, there's no such machine available.

All you can really do is approach video restoration companies with your idea and see if they can find a way to capture the data in such a way.
>>
>>61210761
Thanks Anon
>>
>>61210812
The only way I can imagine you'd begin to do this is to connect a spectrum analyzer to a modified high end VCR head (rotating at like 1/8th standard speed) in a completely radio-isolated environment to find out where the bandwidth is (including the bleed) and record the output to a file, then play it back in a SDR using FM + NTSC. You'd REALLY have to play with the bandwidth to get it right.

You're looking at upwards of $30,000 USD for a good enough spectrum analyzer for this purpose. And then there's the cost of actually isolating it from any outside interference for the playback speed you'll need.
>>
>>61210927
You might even need to go less than 1/16th speed to actually be able to record wide enough. May even need a bit more than 30k for a spec-a that will actually record that many datapoints. That's one complicated operation. LOTS of datapoints to record. LOTS of RAM required also to actually use the monster output file that would result from this. I doubt there's even a SDR written that can use the amount of threads required for getting the playback speed back to normal. The whole file would need to be available in RAM.. We're talking 100+GB file too.
>>
i would not go past basic multi-sampling/averaging
that is, play/record the tape multiple times, then combine the results to make a single, denoised result
>>
>>61211341
ps. this is something that is used, and there are plenty of tools to help you
check out avisynth/vapoursynth and their various plugins and scripts
such as
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Median
>"Median.dll is a filter plugin for AviSynth which generates a pixel-by-pixel median of several clips. This is particularly useful for filtering out noise and glitches from multiple VHS/SVHS/8mm/Hi8 tape captures, but can be used for other purposes also. "
>>
File: medianblend.jpg (109KB, 1079x575px) Image search: [Google]
medianblend.jpg
109KB, 1079x575px
>>61211391
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.