[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't buy PC to run Win 7 WTF?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: 329838-windows-7-logo.jpg (10KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
329838-windows-7-logo.jpg
10KB, 275x275px
I've got a whole system running Win7 32bit and need to preserve it for old work programs. Is starting to slow down so I figure just replace Mobo, CPU, ram and PSU. Go to Computer shop.
>Sorry oldfag but you can't buy new parts that will run Win7. Anything you buy new will have to run Win10.
Current system circa 2009
>i7 920
>Giga UD3R
>Triple Channel DDR3 1600
Am I an idiot?
t. idiot.
>>
>>61209467
Just go buy a skylake cpu.

Microsoft is basically doing their damnest to kill off windows 7.
>>
>>61209467
>Am I an idiot?
yes, those components wont bottleneck any proffesional application.
every cpu intel has released afterwards has given 0 increase in performance
>>
>>61209535
that's interesting cos some of the office PC's are 2016 off the shelf jobs with new $$$ i5 chips etc and my old 2009 build i7 920 is just as fast.
What I'm really wanting to know is what can I buy to replace the mobo, ram and CPU that I can just plug my existing drives into?

>>61209520
Thanks I will google skylake
>>
Also, this is the kind of sh*t you see on eBay. $449 for a USED repeat USED UD3R mobo. From Hong Kong. WTF this is insane.
>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GIGABYTE-GA-EX58-UD3R-LGA-1366-DDR3-Motherboard-Manufacturer-Direct-/152601866754?hash=item2387c7b202:g:PPMAAOSwOMdZUhkB
>>
Kabylake can run Windows 7 just fine. Especially if you install from CD and enable PS/2 to USB emulation in the BIOS, the process is fairly simple. Otherwise you can patch the USB boot image with USB3.0 drivers, most mobo manufacturers offer tools for that. Once you're installed, you might find that aero doesn't work because the generic IntelHD graphics drivers are incompatible with Windows7 on Kabylake. Look up your motherboard on the manufacturer's website/check the CD that came with it - there should be a videodriver modified to work under 7, as mobo manufacturers know that is still a large segment of the market. I'd suggest doing the last step before buying, ASUS, Asrock and Biostar have them as far as I've seen, I'm pretty sure MSI and Gigabyte have written ones too.
>>
>>61209824
thanks anon
>>
>>61209467
Oh, you need specifically 32-bit, my bad. >>61209824 might not work for you then, I'm not sure if Kaby can run 32-bit OSes anymore, but Skylake possibly can.
>>
>>61209852
You're welcome, though I am not very sure about 32-bit OS. Though a 64-bit OS should run 32-bit applications perfectly fine, I've not had any bad experience as far as I remember.
Good luck with your computer building!
>>
> t. something_here

hey so i missed this meme what does it mean?
>>
>>61209873
Every x86 cpu can run 16bit OSes you retard. It can obviously run 32bit as well. Drivers are another story though
>>
>>61209610
>my old 2009 build i7 920 is just as fast.
so why the fuck are you looking to spend more money on something you obviously don't need
>>
File: eeeeeeeh.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
eeeeeeeh.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
>>61209467
Is this Microsoft support? No it fucking isn't.

Firstly, the fag at the store lied to you, or is just willfully ignorant and should be fired. The worst that would happen if you installed Windows 7 on the latest and greatest hardware is that some Intel iGPUs might not work due to driver incompatibility, which isn't a problem if you have a dGPU.

It's slowing down because the hard drive is going bad or you've clogged your OS with a billion files. And why the fuck are you running a 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware? God, you're so hopelessly retarded. You don't need to replace anything at all except the hard drive (maybe). Just copy and paste all of your important files to an external hard drive, reinstall Winshit from a DVD, then copy and paste all the files back. Think you can handle that?
>>
>>61209889
bc its slowing down, taking longer to boot, can run less programs at once... all signs of a dying CPU/mobo/ram I would've thought? The other day I OC'd it to the settings I used to run it on for the first 3 years or so and it just wouldn't have it. If it packs up on me I need to have a backup ready to go.

>>61211275
Why thank you kind frog. Guilty as charged on the hopelessly retarded call. Will order Win7 64 bit on CD from eBay and install on a new SSD. Hopefully my retardation will be only mild that day. God bless you kind frog.
>>
>>61209877
t. = regards
>>
>>61211566
>Will order Win7 64 bit on CD from eBay and install on a new SSD. Hopefully my retardation will be only mild that day.

paying for a pirated copy of windows 7

-.-
>>
>>61211566
CPUs don't die over time, they just crap out suddenly. Just get an SSD and reinstall windows.
>>
>>61209467
It's bullshit. I bought a new Dell latitude laptop which was supposed to support Windows 7 but tried for two whole days to get the fucking thing booting with no luck. Even called Dell tech support and those lying faggots said it won't work despite it being advertised as Windows 7 compatible and have a half assed guide on their website. I ended up returning it and got an old Latitude refurb on their refurbished site with Windows 7 32-bit already installed.
>>
>>61209467
you are really silly, op. hardware will work until it fails. just backup all your important data, programs and reinstall windows 7...
>>
>>61209467
>run OOBE
>problem solved.
>>
>>61209467
>Am I an idiot?
yes

>Current system circa 2009
>i7 920
>Giga UD3R
>Triple Channel DDR3 1600
You can upgrade but it's not going to be a huge improvement

There are a ton of not that old 4770 and 4790 dell systems on craigs cunt for under $300. Go a generation older and 3770 systems start getting close to $200.
As for 32bit, I hope there is a reason for that because 32bit is a joke.

Frankly, I recommend just migrating it to a VM and call it good.
>>
you could get parts that don't have Windows 7 drivers but no OP that's bullshit you can 7 is very popular and much of industry still uses it
>>
One good way to speed up old computers that requires little money is to get a ssd.
>>
>>61209467

Most hardware will run 7 but you won't get direct x 12 on newer GPUs without 10.

You can't even buy a copy of 7.

Just machines with 7 downgrade. Even those are hard to find. Most mobos won't even let you run 7 without bsod.

Gonna be really fun for industry running control systems whom haven't caught up to 10 yet. Only hope for them, is virtualization if they have the licenses. Lots of oem copies of windows won't virtualize.

VMware runs perfectly in 10.
>>
It's not the hardware slowing down, it's the microshit windaids doing its thing. Install Ubuntu, run a windaids VM if you must.
>>
>>61209467
Just purchase a Windows 7 Ultimate install disk for 50 bucks. Then, you never have to give up Windows 7. I have yet to hear of any PC that refuses to be compatible with older OSes.
>>
>sorry oldfag but
kys
>>
>>61212014
Sure man you go right ahead and install 95 on your windows 10 machine.

Go on. Ill wait right here for you fagget. I wanna see this.
>>
>>61211629
Do cpus even go bad before they become truly obsolete? I recall reading they last easily like 20 years and what fails is chemical degradation product of time and not usage
>>
>>61211566
you probably don't format since 2009, backup your shit and do a format, fag
>>
>>61209467
run windows seven in a vm.
>>
>>61209467
>>Sorry oldfag but you can't buy new parts that will run Win7. Anything you buy new will have to run Win10.
Whoever told you that totally got you.
Microsoft blocked Ryzen and Kaby Lake CPUs from using Windows Update, that's literally it and it has been already worked around.
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc
>>
>>61209467
>Am I an idiot?
Yes.
>>
>>61209467
>what is haswell
>>
>>61211275
>installed Win7 on skylake laptop
>touchpad and wlan not working
>literally no drivers
>>
just use a VM. Windows 7 will soon be abandonware.
>>
Keep using the same build but add a SSD.
>>
>>61209535
Sandy Bridge was literally 20% faster than Nehalem and Westmere
>>
File: Windows10Outlook.jpg (70KB, 645x484px) Image search: [Google]
Windows10Outlook.jpg
70KB, 645x484px
>>61209467
>>61211588
You can still buy OEM Windows 7 Pro discs and Microsoft are fine with this, you'd still have Genuine advantage status and get those updates if you really want...
but I have to agree with >>61215517

Microsoft are actively trying to kill off Windows 7 and they are no longer obligated to support updates so you really need to consider if it's worth the effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mFI9spp10
>>
>>61209467
Switched z77+i5 to b350 + ryzen. Usb ports and network not working. Pull out ssd, plug it into laptop. Copy mobo's driver package onto ssd. Plug ssd back into PC, install drivers using PS/2 keyboard (thankfully it worked). Issue solved.
It would be much easier if I downloaded drivers before swapping hardware.
An yep, you're an idiot for listening to dumb ass promoters and buying pre-built rig instead of actual hardware.
>>
>>61209824
If anything, drivers from windows server 2008 r2 are compatible with windows 7 and 2008 r2 is still maintained.
>>
>>61216516
Windows 7 is still being supported until 2020. XP support ended last year.
>>
>>61217411
Microsoft are only doing that due to the huge market share that Windows 7 still holds, as a responsible provider they will still patch security issues but you can be certain that they'll try every trick in the book to get you to switch over to Windows 10 way before 2020
>>
>>61217593
Why did they only end XP last year then? And why they are still supporting the 8% using Windows 8?
>>
>>61217646
As far as I know they are legally obliged to support Windows 8 until 2018,
this is not the case with Windows 7 but they have said they will because everybody is still using it, exactly the same thing happened with XP... businesses just kept on using it until the end and instead of switching to Windows 8 or 10 most of them chose to go with Windows 7 due to the backward compatibility with XP drivers and all older custom software and hardware that still use them
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.