[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So like is Gentoo actually good or is that just a really stale meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

So like is Gentoo actually good or is that just a really stale meme?
>>
It's great if you have the time to invest in it.
Unironically one of the best if not the best distributions out there.
>>
What makes it great? I'm a Windows fag since XP but I've always wanted to try Linux
>>
>>61198820
Anyone ready to take the *-bsd pill yet linuxfags want to try the one true last-of-its kind unix kernel that hasnt been corrupted and fallen to dark
>>
>try to build gentoo
>let my laptop build for like 12 hours
>wake up to an obsure build error

Gentoo is shit.
>>
>>61199007
>I've always wanted to try Linux
Then use ubuntu.

If you have no Idea about Linux you will not get Gentoo to install.
>>
The meme has nothing to do with the quality of gentoo you dip.
>>
>>61200709
>I'm too stupid to use X, therefore X is shit
Cannot argue with that one.
>>
>>61200849
X is actually crappy
even gnome already use wayland by default
>>
>>61198820
Gentoo is a stale meme
>>
>>61200934
*only gnome
>>
>>61200934
>using gnome
>>
>>61198820
Gentoo is what you make of it. It's potential is it's most prominent feature and the only reason power-users meme it.
>>
>>61198820
I used to use Gentoo years ago. It is good, I have fond memories of it, and do at times consider switching back to it due to various objective advantages.
However, I switched to Debian mostly due to Debian Stable, which is very nice if you don't have an autistic need to run the latest version of literally everything, and extra nice on servers and other computers that you don't spend every day in front of. The lack of package stability is the one greatest thing keeping me off Gentoo.
>>
>>61202005
But Gentoo has stable packages as well.
>>
>>61202405
Is that something they've added relatively recently, in that case? Back when I used it, there was only one master portage repository.
>>
File: 1486584102147s.jpg (10KB, 201x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486584102147s.jpg
10KB, 201x250px
>>61198820
Been wondering this forever actually.
>>
gentoo is retarded, anyone with any sense uses something like ubuntu, debian, fedora, etc
>>
File: jbpi1p40020z.jpg (17KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
jbpi1p40020z.jpg
17KB, 720x540px
Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python, ruby, gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't.
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro.
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub.
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros.

there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.
>>
It's mostly a meme because installing it is a casual filter.
But it's not a bad distribution, just that you need to know what you want to use it well.
>>
>>61198820
Dude read the wiki. Like anything else it has pros and cons
>>
>>61198834
First post best post
>>
>>61198834
>it's best if you spent all your free time on it and basically become a slave of your OS
anyway, best for what? wasting your life on absolutely meaningless shit for virtual bragging points?
Is there something you can't do without gentoo, or is there something that would greatly benefit from you using gentoo?
>>
>>61199044
Give up, bsdfag.
Nobody is going to seriously use your shitty OS. It literally suffers from the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>61202956
can't you slot other distros too it's just more work?

So either the one time you need to slot you invest more work or you use every time more work but if you want to slot you don't use more.

Nah
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-07-03_13-59-20.png (1MB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-07-03_13-59-20.png
1MB, 1400x1050px
>>61198820
It's shit. Either use a pre-compiled binary based distro or build your own OS using LFS. Gentoo users are fence sitters, and source based is a stupid meme. Install Ubuntu Budgie.

>>61198834
Your free time is better spent on LFS.

>>61199007
If you're on old hardware then don't bother, unless you have a more powerful machine you can SSH into to do your compiling.

>>61200849
>the developers make X super unfriendly for the user, therefore you're stupid because it's a pain in the ass to use and wastes your time
Ok.
>>
>>61204358
isn't Ubuntu botnet? Haven't informed myself but I've seen some hate around here
>>
>>61204393
IIRC the version that comes with Unity used to be, but I think they sorted it out after some community backlash. I think it's because Unity comes with Amazon services built in, and at one point they were enabled by default. My memory of that is fuzzy though, so look it up if you want. I 99% sure that it was restricted to Unity.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.