[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I use this instead of skype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

File: Discord-Feature-Graphic.png (39KB, 1024x500px) Image search: [Google]
Discord-Feature-Graphic.png
39KB, 1024x500px
Why should I use this instead of skype?
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>61193893
Telegram.

Discord is literally worse than both Microsoft and Google when it comes to vacuuming up literally everything you do with it and selling it to anyone who wants the data.
>>
>>61193927
Telegram is a botnet use Wire
>>
>>61193964
Wire is a botnet use Ring
>>
>>61193915
no you go to /v/ nigger I asked a legitimate question
>>
>>61194012
Ring is a botnet use a carrier pigeon
>>
>>61194020
carrier pigeon is a botnet use Tox
>>
>>61194013
>>>/v/
>>
>>61194020
Carrier Pigeons are a botnet, manipulate space noise in order to create Morse code which is encrypted by Caesar cipher
>>
>>61194045
Manipulating space noise in order to create Morse code which is encrypted by Caesar cipher, use modulating the vibrational frequency of gravitons to cause the recipient's hard drive to contain the data which is secured through GnuPG instead.
>>
>>61194035
>>61194045
Tox and the other thing are the botnet use ICQ
>>
>>61194012
>>61193964
>>61193927
https://matrix.org
https://riot.im
>>
>>61194716
Is there a desktop matrix client that doesn't suck and doesn't use (((electron))) like riot.im?
>>
>>61194769
https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html#clients
Several. I personally use the weechat client when I'm on desktop.
>>
>>61194784
Any experience with Tensor?
>>
>>61193964
4chan is a botnet, go to reddit
>>
>>61193893
use neither
>>61193915
this
>>61194013
>>>/v/
>>
>>61194973
Daily reminder that Reddit is open source and 4chan isn't.
>>
Because it's what everyone else is using.
>>
>>61194769
revolt ;3
>>
Just fucking use IRC...done.
>>
because discord is superior to skype in every-way the exception of of pseudo phone calls / video calls.
>>
Discord may be a closed source data mining application, but it's one I've decided to live with. I'm mostly just happy that all my normie friends jumped ship to something that actually has a functional Linux client and not that fucking Skype shitware.
>>
>>61193893
Don't. Use Matrix instead.

>>61193542
>>
>>61193893
I'm more of a Wire guy, myself. Signal is workable, but not as ideal as Wire.
>>
>>61194144
everything is a botnet use matrix
>>
>>61196469
This
>>
>>61193927
>bodned xDDDD
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>61195681
>;3
legitimately kill yourself you stupid fucking Europeon
>>
>>61196457

Yeah, I honestly don't give a fuck if some discord knows I enjoy Red Bull or not it's a great app. If I need to say something PII outside of my name obviously I'm going to use other communications but for how many plat forms its on and how well it works it's a god send.

I wonder if any companies that use slack have switched to discord since it does almost all the same shit for free (can you imagine paying 12 dollars for EVERY user on your slack channel?) except the ability to save your entire slack channels including DM's, which makes slack awful imo because you never know how badly someone will want to see info you've sent privately, even if it costs them thousands of dollars.

>>61193927

Because 4chan doesn't? lol if you don't think hiro and previously m00t wasn't selling any info to any 3rd rate chinese farmer that would buy ad space to this place. If your main concern is privacy you should be using fax man.
>>
>>61196342
how do I hide my ipee on irc?
>>
>>61193893
why should you use this instead of teamspeak is the question, and the answer is you shouldnt
>>
Connect 9p servers and use a bunch of cats to connect /dev/audios
>>
>>61198357
Just don't pee in irc. Problem solved. Or use VPN. Or Tor. I don't know, figure it out.
>>
skype has ads and is a general pile of shit
>>
>>61193893
You shouldn't. Skype is bad, but discord is closed source and goes through a central server with no end-to-end encryption at all. Discord has somehow found a way to be more shitty than IRC and /v/irgins are loving it.
>>
>>61197998
>Because 4chan doesn't?
He didn't say that though. 4chan being shit does not make it okay for other things to be shit.
>>
>>61196381
Name one?
>inb4 "muh unencrypted centralized is better than skype's p2p because muh eye pee needs to be hidden from the gaymer skiddies i talk 2"
>>
>>61196457
>Laggy webview pile of shit
>functional linux client
Just winewrap skype or use it's webclient.
>>
>>61197967
Angry /v/irgin can't make real arguments? Not surprised.
>>
>>61199268
And LOL BOTNET is an argument?

Ow wait.
>>
VIDEO GAMES?
VIDEO GAMES!!!
>>
Channels and push to talk. Also, admins.

I do use discord often, but i still use TS/vent most of time for voice coms.
>>
>>61199006
I use a portable edition and doesn't have ads
>>
GNU Ring

https://ring.cx/
>>
>>61194769
whats wrong with electron?
>>
>>61199875
Everything.
>>
>>61199840
>join the ring
sounds like paedo
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 2880x1432px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 2880x1432px
>>61199840
>grave ethical flaw
Any idea what they meant by this?
>>
>>61200557
Were you dropped on the head as a child?
>>
>>61199253
>Better UI
>Good discord servers and groups
>Call quality isn't retarded / doesn't drop out as easy
>Accounts and signing up is easier

Honestly, Discord is better compared to TeamSpeak. Discord is like a more feature filled TeamSpeak.
>>
>>61199268
>not an argument
Not an argument
>>
Is Discord confirmed for data mining? Last I heard the privacy policy was okay, and their main money maker was selling emoji and other dumb shit.
>>
>>61200754
>Is Discord confirmed for data mining?
Let's see.
A centralized service for multi-user VoIP coupled with image/video uploads and some degree of data retention/persistance.
All free of charge. Yes it mines your data. The cost of servers alone is massive
>>
>>61200800
I just went through the pp, and it looks like they don't collect voip audio, but they do retain just about everything else. They don't sell data, but they share with "partners". I'm pretty sure that means ad partners since they specifically allow opt out of targeted ads.

The policy is WAY different from the last time I looked at it. Privacy policy bait and switch should be illegal.
>>
>>61193893
Discord is faster due to being significantly more lightweight than Skype. It also has better organization, coupled with options regarding notifcations that are superior to Skype.

It does lack the following:
- Video chat
- Screensharing

I also would not recommend Discord for anything but gaming.
>>
>>61193893
I've tried discord once or twice in the pass and it seemed overall not that bad.
But let me ask you this , how does it know the account names of other applications and how many people I have in my friends list without me allowing to do any checks?
>>
>>61193893
>you can host group chats and channels.
>people can text and join voice call anytime without needed a live call.
>more secure
>>
>>61200557

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html

I'm pretty sure it's almost common knowledge on this board.
>>
>>61199237
>discord is closed source and goes through a central server with no end-to-end encryption at all

Really? They claim the opposite on their website: "Encrypted server to client communication keeps your IP address safe."
>>
>>61201596

It goes through a central server which can see all communications. That is the opposite of end-to-end encryption. >>61199237's comment does not contradict Discord's claim.
>>
>>61198357
use a fucking bouncer
>>
>>61200922
>They don't sell data, but they share with "partners"
yes it mines your data
>>
>>61201287
bump this
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.