[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: VLC_logo.jpg (52KB, 605x432px) Image search: [Google]
VLC_logo.jpg
52KB, 605x432px
Where did everything go so wrong, /g/entoomen?
>>
>>61190859
VLC is gay.

I use IINA under macOS.

https://github.com/lhc70000/iina
>>
>>61190859
What are you talking about? VLC is still the best
>>
File: serveimage.png (843KB, 1599x888px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
843KB, 1599x888px
>>61190970
MPV is better. The seek is smoother, videos don't glitch-out after being paused for a while (pic related), and it doesn't have an intrusive UI.
>>
>it was never was an movie player exclusively
>it eventually bloated into a media jukebox
>it is shit compared to other players
>it visually never left the win98-era
vlc was pretty ok in the xp-era, but never managed to transcend into the modern era. it's still very visible that vlc was first and foremost a solution for streaming/receiving video. vlc is in itself not bad for your average user that just wants something that werks, but for high-end users it's simply not powerful enough.
>>
>>61191042
Vlc ui is anything but intrusive. Its literally classic tier practical ui.
>>
>>61190859
What's wrong?

I use Android VLC to stream over SMB on a regular basis.
>>
>>61191072
>practical ui.
>video player
>UI
Video players don't need such a thing. It's a waste of space.
>>
>>61191042
Idk where the fuck this MPV shit came from. VLC is an institution. Too many kids on this board smfh.
>>
>>61191096
Not everyone wants or cares to learn commands line and keyboard shortcuts just to watch a movie.
If a person uses a monitor then it makes sense that you can display selectable options and other information on that monitor. Once its all done the playback starts and ui dissapears. Literally cant get any better ui than that.
>>
>>61191525
>dl mpv
>click video file to play
>double click or press f for fullscreen
>right click or use spacebar to play/pause
>use mouse, osc, or + - for volume
Is this too hard for vlc tards?
>>
>>61191525
>learns commands to watch a movie
Just what the hell do you do during a movie that would require you to do that? MPV also has a simple and small UI which disappears unless your cursor is in the bottom 3rd of the window. Play/pause/subs/audiotrack. What else would you need? I prefer using it and the only keyboard command I know is Q=quit, and I've never used anything UI-wise because right clicking pauses the video. The only other thing I ever had to do was change the delay of subs.

>watch a movie
>play a video game within the UI of any player
Pick 1. All you need to do is start a movie, or if you're doing something on the same monitor resize the screen. And that's fucking it. You're acting as if no other player has keyboard shortcuts and as if shortcuts are a bad thing.
>>
>>61191635
how do i go to a certain time in the video?
>>
>>61191635
What if I want to enable/disable subtitles? I am sure its just one click on a keyboard but which button? so just for that I need to read a manual, maybe there is a button for a manual too... Or I can use intuitive gui and quickly find subtitle option enable/disable. Its much quicker and simplier. What if I need to change some other option in settings? Again read through manuals or just go to settings and change it.
>>
>>61191720
There's a dedicated "change subtitles" button in the UI, same goes with disabling subtitles and audio tracks.
Common shortcuts are intuitive or already in the GUI. For everything else a simple cheatsheet of 10 most common commands is more than enough.
>>
>>61191679
But I am not. If you find mpv better then use mpv. I havent watched a movie/used a video player of any kind in three months, next time I watch something I will just doubleclick the file and then double click again for full screen in vlc.
>>
File: vid.png (1MB, 1445x862px) Image search: [Google]
vid.png
1MB, 1445x862px
>>61190958
damn this looks slick
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (14KB, 1917x47px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
14KB, 1917x47px
>>61191701
use the left or right arrows or use your mouse. there is a small on screen controller that shows when you hover

>>61191720
use the on screen contoller. or press j

>>61191773
cool I do the same with mpv. but I have it set to open in fullscreen so I just click on the file.
>>
>>61191773
It doesn't change the facts that
>MPV performs better
>MPV doesn't have an NSA backdoor, unlike VLC
>>
>>61191096
>play video in VLC
>press ctrl+h to hide the UI
Woooooow.
>>
PotPlayer ftw
>>
vlc is garbage
>>
>>61191857
>complaining about keyboard shortcuts
>but you can do this with shortcuts!
I don't want to use a manual to make VLC behave the way I want :^). And it doesn't change the fact that the image fucks itself for a few seconds after the video is paused or sometimes randomly.
>>
>>61191042
Not that I'm recommending it but it may interest you to learn that vlc has a cli variant, cvlc.
>>
>>61191898
>I don't want to use a manual to make VLC behave the way I want

Then you should expect a UI? What the fuck do you want? Or are you just a mindless MPV fanboy?
>>
>>61191104
It came from Linux.
>>
>>61190859
Am I the only one using it for music?
>>
>>61192058
I hope so
>>
>>61191824
Its impossible to tell the difference. Also nsa backdoor is a moot point. Most software these is either insecure by design or just poorly written, most commercial software these days has a backdoor, your os most likely has a backdoor. Using vlc or mpv on a already compromised machine makes no difference.
>>
>>61191786
I'm sure it can be compiled for Lelnux, but it won't look as good desu.
>>
>>61191525
>Once its all done the playback starts and ui dissapears
That's what VLC does when in fullscreen, retard.
>>
>>61192230
What difference does it make if the gui is visible when not in full screen? Its not like its overlayed on top of the video?
>>
>>61190859
Wrong? It is objectively the best media player out there. Just because you are too stupid to configure it properly doesn't make it bad.
>>
>>61190958
>>61191786
>>61192226

Mactards >>>/trash/
>>
>>61193588
he jelly
>>
t cycle-values speed 1 1.5

how do I do this in vlc?
>>
>>61192058
kys
>>
>>61190859
SMB and DLNA support is great on Android
>>
>>61190958
VLC IS horrible on Mac OS. Shit won't play audio through anything but the built in speakers. How do you fuck this up in 2017? Works great on Linux and Wangdows, though.
>>
>>61191822
>use the left or right arrows or use your mouse. there is a small on screen controller that shows when you hover
Oh, so use a UI then?
>>
>>61195253
...yea, problem?
>>
>>61193588
its okay, poorfags like you still have hackintosh
>>
>>61190859
>welcome to vlc! information will be shared about media you're playing by default uncheck to disable.

right around there
>>
VLC stopped being able to properly handle .mp4 files after an update 2 or 3 years ago. SMPlayer is an okay alternative I guess. I'd use mpv, but no playlist functionality.
>>
>>61196257
>I'd use mpv, but no playlist functionality.
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts
>>
>>61191042
i hate that goddamn shit
completely ruins it for me.
>>
>>61191042
>>61191061
>>61191072
>>61191096
>>61195370
VLC has skins, for those who really want a goodlooking VLC player
videolan.org/vlc/skins.html
>>
>>61196861
lol
>>
>>61190859
let me explain
>no full hardware acceleration
>buggy hardware color conversion
>low quality subtitle rendering
>always resamples audio, resulting in pitch changes
>>
>>61190958
and this is how mpv should be made
>>
>>61194042
>>61195542
Look at the mac shills lining up to defend their poor shopping skills.
>>
>>61191096
Yeah, who wants an interface? That lets us tell it what to do and we don't want to be authoritarian fascists.
>>
File: random old review.png (153KB, 624x771px) Image search: [Google]
random old review.png
153KB, 624x771px
>>61190859

>>61191061
has some points on user interface, original design goals (streaming). the media jukebox aspect can be ignored mostly.

what most people don't mention, but I think is important, is VLC lacks some of the post-processing that makes other modern media players more visually appealing. I mean as a fall-back, it'll play anything and support more formats (except maybe mplayer, with all its codecs), and it's fairly robust and very portable across many platforms.
I also suspect other media players make better hardware acceleration API calls, or are better assembly-optimized

P.S: I have it as a second player, usually for slow-motion or accelerated playback, or to gamma-correct a dark video.
>>
>>61191822
Oh good lord...
>use the on screen controller
So we're talking about how there's too much interface, yet we have a damn virtual remote control sitting in its place. Yeah, so minimalist.
>>
>>61197134
The fuck are you talking about?
all media players should have a progress bar
>>
>>61197193
Progress bar? Did you reply to the wrong person?
>>
>>61197134
It's optional, you can use your keyboard and/or mouse
>>
>>61197107
>I also suspect other media players make better hardware acceleration API calls, or are better assembly-optimized
or do deinterlacing when the source requires it.
VLC doesn't
>>
Is there anything good for Android? VLC had become buggy for me, and I can't find any other players
>>
>>61197292
MX with custom codec pack?
>>
>>61190859

>desktop version has a "resume" feature
>but not the android version (Stable or Beta)
>no way to actually kill/swipe/close the app
>if something is playing it literally will keep playing or reappear
>>
>>61190859
Nowhere. It's a brilliant.
>>
>>61190859
how about the icon is
>a fucking road cone

Cause when I think movies and music I think of fucking roadworks RATATATATATTATATAT
>>
>>61190958
looks nice but I can't be bothered to build it myself. give me a fucking dmg
>>
>>61199495
Are you retarded? Just click download
https://lhc70000.github.io/iina/
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.