[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have good custom-build laptops eluded us for so long? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: EdsJunk-Xbox-360-Laptop.jpg (50KB, 650x490px) Image search: [Google]
EdsJunk-Xbox-360-Laptop.jpg
50KB, 650x490px
Why have good custom-build laptops eluded us for so long?

Is it for lack of parts?

Hell no.
>ssd very small and large storage
>tiny boards exist
>plentiful screens
>thin keyboards exist
>thin joysticks exist to replace nub mouse

Is it because we need a custom case?

Nope

>3d printing exists

Why haven't we done it?
>>
>>61181337
sounds like work
can't i just pay someone to do it?
>>
>>61181337
do you really wanna carry around a medium-sized 80 pound computer case everywhere you go
>>
>>61181348
implying the OP goes anywhere
>>
Nobody cares about your hyper-nice autism shit. If you need a 'custom built laptop' you should instead customize your brain with shotgun pellets.
>>
>>61181348
I think this ignores a big part of the convenience of laptops: If you're a student, for example then it's much more convenient to have one heavy brick of a powerful laptop that you leave in your dorm but can stick in your luggage if you're going on a plane and then never carry around with you otherwise, then another smaller machine for taking notes etc outside the house. If you've got a full desktop and can't drive yourself then you've got to start dicking about with shipping your machine and a screen back and forth.

It's closer to a luggable than a laptop, really. You could eliminate the battery, you just need the form-factor.
>>
there's sager and clevo barebones series; thats about it.

It's 2017 and there are only 2 companies out there still putting together quality materials in a laptop (apple and lenovo thinkpads). Pretty much anything else with replaceable components are shit tier products. Quality control is dead. Laptops are only becoming less maintenance friendly.

so basically, money
>>
>>61181337
because it's pointless, there's fucking nothing such a thing offers to either consumers or businesses that can't already be accomplished by OEM solutions

it's time to grow up and get a real hobby instead of constantly needing to be surrounded by video games 24/7
>>
>>61181486
Wrong, Fujitsu lifebook series
>>
>>61181337
>Why haven't we done it?
Why haven't you ?
It's really simple, all you need is to either design and manufacture a motherboard or get one from another laptop off ebay (oh but then it's not really that custom, is it ?), manufacture a keyboard to go with it or stick an existing one in there and connect it somehow, design a custom cooling solution or once again find one that fits your motherboard on ebay, get your hands on a display that is compatible with your motherboard, make a battery using 18650 cells or similar, design and manufacture a case around your parts, and then stick a CPU, RAM, SSD, and maybe an MXM GPU in there.

Easy, right ? Why haven't you built a custom laptop yet, anon ?
>>
Laptops are very compact, their components and connectors can be very proprietary and difficult to work with, the internals are designed around the externals.
Its not an easy thing to do like building a custom PC where you have all these standards for size and connections and shit.
There isnt a standard for touchpad connections to the motherboard, nor for ribbon cable lengths, or video output, or danm near anything else short of specific slots. Hell, even coolers are all different across most machines.
In the end with these projects, you end up with a Mini ITX system in a bulky box or a terrible frame holding some other laptops guts.

If i could find a broken thinkpad 380ED and put a STX sized system inside, i would. If it were as easy as typing that out.
In reality i need to find a 12.1" 4:3 laptop screen with a connector that i can run through HDMI, i need a very specific style of cooler that you cant find outside of slim server racks, i need i/o extensions and i need to somehow get the keyboard to work with the motherboard via probably onboard serial, though i dont know of many stx boards with serial, then i need to integrate wifi, again, how many stx boards have a mini pcie slot, then a gpu could fit in there but not many stx boards have pcie x16 slots, and i need to get a pico power supply inside with all the cables and some form of battery, and a power controller for the screen, keyboard, etc

It sounds simple, toss parts in, make a cool laptop.
But when you go to actually plan it out, you start running into several hundred little things that make it extremely difficult.
>>
>>61181623
Just buy a fucking Clevo, the build quality complaints it has are not from flimsieness, its from an overall lack of polish, the machines are built like tanks, crude but durable.
>>
>>61181337

My brother just bought a "Gayming" laptop so he can game when working at some remote location.. I looked around and I figured out he cold have got a very portable desktop ITX build into something like a Node 202 (10 Liters). That's not bad at all sice he isn't moving the whole thing more than once a month. Just need to add a screen, kb+mouse. Same price, way better performance

Just need to fit the whole thing into a pelican case for safe travel.

I just watched a LTT on SFF cases for gaming and I was surprised of the lack of those cases. There event isn't any kink of short cables included to reduce the clusterfuck. Some are a EMI problem waiting to happen.

There really is a market to be created for SFF cases, the proof is that KS have a few of these. Laptops aren't a good fit for powerfull hardware, stop the meme.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.