[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS3 YLOD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 20170701_222709.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_222709.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
After 15 minutes games that take up a lot of the disk cause the ps3 to turn off, blink yellow for .5 seconds and then endlessly blink red.

I have cleaned the inside of the unit, but still the same games don't work but others do.

I've watched people blow dry their fat PS3's with a towell wrapped around them but that will mess up the circuit boards, even if it does fix the shitty tin soldering.

Any solution to this other than melting its insides?
>>
I fixed my old 360 with a 10 dollar heatgun and new thermal paste with some screws and standoffs replacing the shitty x clips

Towel trick is a meme.

You probably don't even need to reflow, just remove the heatsinks and apply new paste.
>>
>>61176724

>>61176901
This guy is probably right. This sounds a lot like a heating problem, especially since it works again later.

Clean out the inside, make sure all the fans work, and put in some new paste. Also stop keeping your PS3 on the floor. It gets dusty and clogs up.
>>
>>61176724
the ps3 is so old I guarantee your issue is the same as mine. your cpu is probably shitting the bed and any big games crashes the console. I have a launch 60gb model and if I play any big titles i get a ton of screen tearing because the gpu is fried. repasting/reflow wont fix it.
>>
>>61176724
Look it up on iFixit OP. There's a few different ways.

A heat gun and new thermal paste (Artic Silver MX4 is recommened since it is not electrically conductive) should work. It worked for me for a couple months but a few days of heavy Fallout 3 playing made it YLOD again.

Bake it. Removing the motherboard, placing it on a baking tray with foil underneath and M4 screws to level it/stand it off the baking tray. Some people recommend covering the capacitors/plastic connectors with sticky tack since will insulate those parts from the heat.

The hot towel method which I've never tried or really read into. I think it was more of an early ghetto fix.

In most cases you'll need to get new thermal pads for the RAM chips which are hard to find/slightly costly but will help with the heat since the stock ones dry up an crumble.

If you live in the US, iFixit has a whole repair kit for sale.

It's not difficult but can be nerve-wracking. I've disassembled my PS3 so many times I could get it apart/together in a couple minutes.
>>
>>61177131
I am from the UK. Is it even worth buying anything to fix it, I mean I have no save files I want and they've discontinued it (but surely there are untouched slim models). If I was to buy another ps3, should I get a jailbroken one? Because I want to get games from usb drives like on PSP with ISO's and DS with the chips.
>>
>>61177131
Ifixit kits are way too expensive if the device is a more then a few years old. Just find a seller on amazon/ebay and pay 1/5th for the same thing
>>
>>61177223
What's going to stop that ps3 from getting ylod?
>>
>>61176724
>>61176901
>>61176945
>>61176992
>>61177131
>>61177221
>>61177223
>>61177269

I N S T A L L
N
S
T
A
L

G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
I
>>
>>61176724
The sticky has your solution.
>>
>>61177448
You can shove the sticky up your wise ass you fucking hall monitor
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.