[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a worse suite of software than this Pro tip: >You cant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 24

File: 1200px-SAP_2011_logo.svg.png (37KB, 1200x612px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-SAP_2011_logo.svg.png
37KB, 1200x612px
Name a worse suite of software than this

Pro tip:
>You cant

>Let's just make our software so vital for business practice that nobody can get rid of us because we know we suck
>>
>>61160421
I've only worked with SAP once, it was so badly implemented I refuse to believe it's because the software itself it that shitty and it only was due to crappy implementation by the IT team.
>>
>>61160421
You literally can't name a worse software application than this piece of shit. Had to work with it for ten years (just left the job, in part due to S.A.P). The thing still runs like something from the 1990's.

I wake up everyday and praise Allah that today I'm not dealing with S.A.P errors.
>>
>>61160592
Nope, it's the software itself

Hell, most modules only allow one person to edit a project at a time with no ability to send a request to the person to get off

I work in a company of nearly half a million employees across the world, if some guy in Germany left work in the afternoon with a project document open that I need to work on, I literally have to sit there all day and wait, I don't even know who it is or which plant it is.

It's awful
>>
>>61160834
You don't happen to work for FNGP do you? If you do, I know your pain.
>>
>>61160421
Microsoft Dynamics AX
>>
>>61160888
Nope Bosch (specifically automotive)
>>
>>61160834
You have no idea how many times I've had to get on the phone to our main office (in another country) and tell them to find out who is viewing what I'm using and get them to shut it down.

I'm dealing with shipments worth hundreds of thousands of pounds that need to go out asap and legally can not go without the right documents, and some faggot in Germany has left his screen on and gone home for the day.

Guess who gets the shit for it....yup me. Fuck sap.
>>
I work for BHP and we use 1SAP.. yes it does suck.
>>
>>61160924
There are so many different software packages that work so much better, but since it's so integral they think "there's no way we can change it"

Just fucking choose a date for swap, all projects before the date finish on sap, everything after the date uses new system. Individual departments handle inventory and spare part changes in the new system
>>
>>61161038
Heads higher up will only see the upfront cost in implementing a new system and baulk at it. For some reason they refuse to see how much money is being lost due to sap itself. No one wants to be the guy agreeing to spending the company's money when they "don't need to".
>>
I work for a very large company, we switched to SAP last month. Caused massive production problems and we discontinued it after two days.
>>
>>61161132
Bosch uses something called BPS or Bosch production system, it's based on TPS which is the basis of lean manufacturing

The higher ups take BPS SERIOUSLY like it's holy doctrine

SAP literally is directly opposite of what the core doctrine of BPS/ lean is
>>
>>61161174
You lucky mother fucker
>>
>>61160421
What exactly is a SAP? I've seen it on several job descriptions but nobody wants to say what exactly it does. Is it that bad?
>>
>>61161174
Dodged a bullet there mate. I've just started working for a company that is about to implement SAP. The bosses are boasting about it increasing the work flow. I've been telling them this is a bad idea, but I'm the new guy.

Fuck it, this outfit is in no shape to take on SAP. I'm looking for new opportunities and have resigned myself to fiddling while Rome burns. It'll be glorious.
>>
>>61160421
>>You cant
I fucking can. Xerox uses something called Xerox Services Manager, XSM for short. It's a ticket logging system that doesn't actually do anything useful itself but rather communicates with SAP for you. It's a frustrating system with all the "intricacies" of SAP with none of the simplicity. Very often we find ourselves ignoring XSM and going directly through SAP BECAUSE XSM IS JUST THAT PAINFUL. Also, XSM will throw up a fuckton of errors without actually telling you why in any meaningful way.

If I could just work with SAP, I'd be a happy man. Oh, and no screenshots to share because XSM is a company secret and corporate espionage is bad. Yeah, because other companies want to know what he'll looks like.
>>
>>61161215
It does many things, but to boil it down it's basically a database management program. One that was created in the 1970's. Instead of creating full new versions (so not to disrupt businesses) they just keep on building on to what is already there. It's a nightmare.
>>
>>61161038
>There are so many different software packages that work so much better
Can you name some?
>>
>>61161215
its a "business" program

it is meant as a platform for doing all operations within a company. This can include basics like keeping track of inventory and spare parts, and managing maintenance and generating POs. However it does everything from HR stuff, to major project management. However it just seems like it was made as a form document for making and filling out forms, that they never updated and just built on top of an already shitty program for decades

the issue is, it does tons, but does it all really poorly.

CEOs see it and think "well fuck, I can get one software package that will do everything! they'll love me if I do that" but in reality you just quadrupled the work everyone needs to do to get something done. It would be significantly better to have a hundred individual programs that do each thing well, and likely cheaper. Or even a suite that isn't so awful.
>>
>>61161407
http://alternativeto.net/software/sap-business-suite/

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-alternative-to-SAP
>>
File: SAP Netweaver Final Test.gif (64KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
SAP Netweaver Final Test.gif
64KB, 1280x800px
I use SAP just for time tracking at my company and I hate it

literally looks like pic related
>>
>>61161520
congratulations, you found one of the most user friendly modules within SAP.
>>
>>61161458
Open source no name companies. Sure.

If I want to integrate software into my company I want to know it'll still be around and supported 10/20 years from now. Half of these will be gone five years from now.
>>
>>61161573
Oracle is a bigger company than SAP by a lot

and their ERP is much better
>>
>>61161586
O.K
>>
>>61161573
If a single large company begins paying those no name companies what they pay SAP, that company is going nowhere

and that company would practically be working for that bigger company, and would be able to give much more customization
>>
>>61161421
>CEOs see it and think "well fuck, I can get one software package that will do everything! they'll love me if I do that" but in reality you just quadrupled the work everyone needs to do to get something done. It would be significantly better to have a hundred individual programs that do each thing well, and likely cheaper. Or even a suite that isn't so awful.

Ahmen.

I make software that acts as a human interface across multiple sources.
Those sources can be various SAP, Oracle, etc. software but also API's, data warehouses and even individual Excel sheets - whatever the client uses I can pretty much all integrate it and present an overview and do computations across the various forms of data.

But often CEO's say they rather have one big super complex super expensive "do it all" SAP application that's impossible to maintain or upgrade - AAAARGH.
>>
And here I thought SAP was great software. We work with EPICOR v8 and you while the user interface is not all bad, the server is very finicky and it doesn't help we are using PostgreSQL.
I started working here 2 years ago but AFAIK this software hasn't been upgraded in years and migrating to new version is a nightmare, or so my boss says
>>
File: tradeshow.png (116KB, 1061x806px) Image search: [Google]
tradeshow.png
116KB, 1061x806px
>>61161520
Lucky you, that's basically a shit website. Most people have this type of thing. Only in English.
>>
>>61161634
I'm talking the actual company size, not market share

Oracle had a revenue of $37.04B, $112B in assets and $47B in equity in 2016

SAP had €22 billion revenue, €44 billion in assets, and €26 billion in equity
>>
Also since we're talking business software, I just want to say: fuck Lotus.
>>
>>61161685
damn
>>
>>61161685
nah, Mine is a mix of bad german written by chinese/indian people, and bad english written by germans
>>
>>61161712
>Oracle
You're cherry picking. Most of those names are not worth gambling your company's life on, not to mention it's employees livelihood.
>>
File: bmcLogoLg.jpg (41KB, 771x212px) Image search: [Google]
bmcLogoLg.jpg
41KB, 771x212px
Ever wanted a way to manage all of your IT processes but never be able to do it because you're constantly in development hell?

Pic related.
>>
>>61160421
>SAP
>Le German Engineering meme
>>
>>61161790
Sounds like the seventh level of hell.
>>
Hasso plattner is a god and none of you imbeciles realize he is doing gods work.
>>
>>61161863
well, yeah, he is the majority owner of the San Jose Sharks hockey team

but he's still going to hell for SAP
>>
>>61161520
>German software in English on a German operating system
>>
If it's so shit then why is SAP still around?
>>
>>61161913
because those that never have to use it are the ones that make the choice to keep it
>>
PROTIP: You should never buy an enterprise application that requires enterprise application specific developers. You're asking for astronomical TCO.
>>
>>61160421
>Pro tip:
>>You cant
I see you've never worked with a company that still uses AS/400
>>
>>61161685
so many icons
>>
>>61161887
mine is German (and I speak German) but error messages still sound foreign to me most of the time
>>
>>61161913
I think their biggest customers are government agencies.
And they never learn from past mistakes.

Also they have good marketing because they speak the language CEO's like to hear.
It's all about "enterprise solutions" and "certificate X/Y/Z"
Modern companies use modern language like "Agile" and "Scrum" - this scares and confuses most CEO's.
>>
>>61160421
mathcad is quite bad
>>
where can I learn how to use SAP?
>>
>>61160421
agreed OP, SAP is fucking repulsive

but then again so is literally every commercial ERP out there
>>
>SAP
>Hey I'm a smart guy, worked on a lot of different software, I'm sure I can figure this out
>OK, to create an order, just type in that easy to remember acronym... CO01. Got it
>BOOP BOOP SCHEDULING ERROR
>EQUIPMENT MASTER NOTIFICATION ERROR
>MATERIAL CODE INCORRECT

fuck, like who the fuck ever learned to use this shit
>>
File: tsg-1899-hoffenheim.jpg (1MB, 3000x1516px) Image search: [Google]
tsg-1899-hoffenheim.jpg
1MB, 3000x1516px
At least they have a good football club
>>
>>61162011
Guess what, every icon will open another sub menu with even more icons. Those icons will open even more....etc etc until suicide.
>>
I work with SAP, it is indeed terrible crap. Atleast, I hate the client, and I absolutely hate to work with DI API. I mostly work with SAPIUI5 which is decent because it's just like OpenUI.

Although I am looking forward to using the Service Layer with SAPUI5. I think it would be the least terrible option.
>>
>>61162105
they don't

I just picked up a process in SAP for my department because we lost our purchasing guy to a different department

he walked me through the steps he used to get it to send

basically he just starts it up and hits enter then fills all the errored out areas until it submits with random shit until it goes through
>>
>>61161407
I work as a technician, before we adopted SAP we used a software called Maintenance Connection. I feel as though it was superior and more intuitive, than SAP.
>>
>>61161913
CEO's don't have to use it. Shit rolls downhill, didn't you know?
>>
>>61162105
You entered the material code wrong you fucking idiot. Enter the right one.

Try deleting an item from an order that has already been processed.

Reverse order
Look through hundreds of batch files
Delete handles
Jump through hoops
Say 12 hail marys at midnight
Re-processes order

NO BATCHES EXIST. Anyone have a razorblade?
>>
>>61162159
My company has a unit that uses "unskilled" labor (just above McDonalds level) to do a simple step in SAP. We need someone to be able to do it at the right moment, and these people are there all the time and are usually happy to take a break from hitting the big green button that spits out parts.

We set it up really easy, so that all they have to do is log in and then use the barcode scanner. Step one, scan from sheet. Click on the circled field. Step two, scan from label. Step three, scan from sheet. Step four, scan from label.
Pictures, click-by-click instructions. Easier than using a Keurig machine.
It's still fucking hopeless. Click in the wrong box and the product cost is now the order number and we're billing someone $12345678 dollars.

On the plus side, it's hilarious
>>
>>61160421
1C
>>
File: sap-salaries.jpg (36KB, 438x438px) Image search: [Google]
sap-salaries.jpg
36KB, 438x438px
>>61162063
>where can I learn how to use SAP?
You can't.

You can't download the software itself because it's enterprise trade secret shit. No trial etc. You have to talk to a million people to be able to buy someone or something to deploy it somwhere. Fuck I don't even know what platform the servers run on, probably Windows Server...

You can either take expensive af courses which spend ages teaching you basic shit which will be different in YOUR specific company anyway because they will use a different module at a different version etc.

Now if you work somewhere where they use SAP (which isn't even that hard) and you want to learn how to use it just ask anyone and they'll gladly hand you over all their shit (unless it requires clearance) because chances are they're glad THEY don't have to do it.

Now if you find your way through all the intricacies with the nonexisting/outdated/simply wrong documentation (mostly it'll be trial&error) and you manage to become decent at SAP you could take up some behind the scenes jobs or be a SAP consultant. It'll make you mad cash (if you're good) because there aren't many "good" SAP consultants really, because most hate what they do. But then you'll end like pic related. Lots of money but want to killyourself at the same time
>>
>>61162292
We just figured out a major inventory loss

It was showing up that we were missing more than 40,000 parts. ends up there was an error in SAP that nearly made us miss a shipment
>>
> Attempt to create a work order
>Need to assign an asset to the work order
>Fumble through a million menus trying to find where the assets are.
>Every global asset is listed.
>Finally find asset.
>Need to assign an inventory item to asset.
>Every piece of inventory worldwide is listed.
>What is the actual inventory number?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>61162304
I studied information systems and we had a course that included SAP. Never even looked at it, because SAP knowledge wasn't required for the exam.

I think I'm the only guy with an Information Systems degree that doesn't know shit about SAP.
>>
>>61162423
>I studied information systems
wwu?
>>
>>61162480
no, Hamburg
>>
>>61162304
I was looking for a higher res version of that picture.

Actually came across a SAP promotion site that uses it to illustrate how great job opportunities and pay as SAP consultant is.......
https://sap-certification.info/sap-salaries/

Apparently people who work for SAP don't see how depressing that picture is, they thunk it's just great advertising.
....explains they choice of icons and interfaces.
>>
>>61162375
>Monthly order comes in
>That's bad, our volume dropped 70% this month
>highest running product is at 0%, everything else is the same
>production manager freaking out, starts making plans to have staff furloughed
>8 days into the month, finally gets through to the sales and forecasting group
>someone updated the configuration and it dropped all the volume from the order for that part
>everyone is on vacation from furlough so no one is around to turn things back on
>end up wasting half the month just because the inventory system told us to

meanwhile
>we've sold the same number of units to within 3% every month for like two years

Computers turn humans into idiots.
>>
File: 20170630_192115.jpg (4MB, 2962x1922px) Image search: [Google]
20170630_192115.jpg
4MB, 2962x1922px
>>61162063
Lol

Pic related, 136 courses within the bosch internal training alone

BTW each of these courses is at least a 2 day seminar that costs your department around $800 not including travel

Oh and they only occur once to twice per year in your country

Pic heavily redacted because I love my job and don't want anything to give me away or to share company secrets
>>
so what does SAP do
>>
>>61162579
If the order value dropped by 70% did no one think to look into it? It must have looked out of place and why the fuck are sales noticing this so long after the production manager. They should be seeing this long before him.
>>
>>61162523
>On an average, the pay for an SAP consultant is great. For example, according to a popular job search website the average pay for an SAP consultant in the UK is between 55K and 60K.

60K GBP = 79K USD

>the pay for an SAP consultant is great
yikes
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-30_18-29-59.png (41KB, 1035x157px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-30_18-29-59.png
41KB, 1035x157px
So guess who's getting in on India's new tax scheme? What could go wrong with pajeet at the wheel?

>
“We believe we have the opportunity to create 120-million job opportunities over the next three to four years,“ he said. SAP Business One has over 6,600 MSME customers in India.

The SME sector is the fastest growth driver for SAP across the world, with about 90% of new customers added per year being from this segment.

SAP India has kicked off a pilot program with five techno logy centers operated by the MSME ministry to provide training and certification to SMEs for integration of key processes such as finance, sales and inventory with a single business software. The program is expected to go live in the next three months. SAP Business One counts its strength in being fully compliant with GST and able to deliver advanced technologies in both underdeveloped and developed are as. “The key thing for an ERP solution is statutory regulation. That has been the single biggest invest meant for SAP at a global level in the last 12 months," said Murguia.
>>
>>61162635
electronic book keeping or something
>>
>>61162635
It's tree blood bro.
>>
>>61162594
What's your opinion about Bosh dishwashers?

Are they good?
>>
>>61162878
He specified Bosch Automotive.
>>
File: pri_43325297.jpg (473KB, 1875x2500px) Image search: [Google]
pri_43325297.jpg
473KB, 1875x2500px
>>61162878
I don't know about Bosh dishwashers, but their fridges are good for killing immigrants.
>>
>>61162878
Wouldn't know

but I get them at a 25% discount

also get bosch power tools at an insane 75% discount under even amazon (and that includes all bosch power tool subsidiaries like dremel)

that means I couldn't be objective even if I owned them
>>
>>61162594
>a course for SAP that teaches you how to take courses via SAP

redundancy 101
>>
File: do you know what I mean.png (444KB, 735x527px) Image search: [Google]
do you know what I mean.png
444KB, 735x527px
>>61162977
>welcome to the neighborhood sadiq I got you a housewarming present
>>
>>61162977
Here we can see the benefits of the British plug and a 220v electric grid.
>>
>>61162977
It was a Hotpoint fridge tho
>>
>>61162977
that was a Hotpoint freezer

Bosch had nothing to do with it
>>
>>61163145
>>61163149
Literally spoilsports.
>>
>>61161984
AS/400 is literally heaven compared to SAP
>>
>>61161132
SAP is like Java there's enough people that know it and that makes it easier to maintain a good enterprise and it architecture.
If you try to do a best of breed approach here you'll just end up with a fragmented architecture, huge integration costs and having to train your employees on 5 different technologies.
SAP is helping you integrating their modules and they have a similar logic behind them. So for most cases it's just the way to go.
>>
IBM Lotus Notes its sooooo bad. Makes me miss outlook every second I have to use it.
>>
>>61163222
>train your employees
This is where is always goes wrong. Employers never use SAP much themselves and highly underestimate the complexities of it. I've seen it implemented and staff given a day or two of training only to be told to iron out the problems amongst themselves.

SAP works, but it's users need the proper training. Which they are almost always never given.
>>
>>61163168
>spoilsports
I'm not a corporate apologetic but that joke just really doesn't work if it's not true
>>
>>61162063
Study information systems. I literally had 3 courses learning how to use and customize it for specific business processes.
>>
>>61160421
Easy, but Russia-specific:
1C
>>
The company I work for, which is the 2nd largest retailer in my country uses SAP and it is literally cancer. Employees are forced to use the SuccessFactors website and for whatever reason Google+ social networking.

Everything is run on the back end by India and there hasn't been a day go by without some kind of SAP outage or SF stuff up that's caused staff in store or at a State or National level to have to waste countless hours on the phones to India trying to get it sorted out.

Inventory management is archaic and the autostocking system is flawed to the tune of millions of dollars worth of "stockloss" yearly, real or due to system errors and we pay them millions in the process to setup and maintain all this garbage. It's a wonder we're turning a profit at all.
>>
Aptean/ROSS

Pile of garbage. Modules barely interact, searches are a pain in the ass, inconsistent keybinds, obtuse navigation, ITEM# field is limited to numerics only so you have to create your own internal part numbers, searches are only an exact match. Documents can only be printed/ exported one at a time, bulk exports throw everything on the same PDF or print file.
>>
>>61163350
Since when did jokes have to be true?

Here's a joke....SAP has the best UI ever created.

Only an autist could fail to understand how a falsehood could be a joke.
>>
>>61163391
>Inventory management is archaic and the autostocking system is flawed to the tune of millions of dollars worth of "stockloss" yearly, real or due to system errors and we pay them millions in the process to setup and maintain all this garbage. It's a wonder we're turning a profit at all.

Hey, but industry 4.0!
>>
>>61163425
No. But it's like taking the Nvidia Fermi housefire joke and applying it to something that's not a housefire at all, like, idk, Sandy Bridge.

That joke, while exaggerated - I don't think there was any actual event of a housefire caused by Fermi, works because Fermi was fucking hot.
Sandy Bridge is just pretty boring in terms of heat output which makes the whole joke pretty boring in return.
>>
>>61162423
is major here, halfway through my courses. we briefly covered something but a package was missing so we couldn't complete the assignment.
>>
File: respondusldb.jpg (9KB, 246x151px) Image search: [Google]
respondusldb.jpg
9KB, 246x151px
You don't know shit about proprietary shitware.

>every school that has this also has a group dedicated to get the school to drop it
>based on IE
>crashes all the time in the middle of tests you can't take again
>school administrators will never ever use it even once
>does all this even if you use the school computers
>ruins your copy of windows
>defeated in 10 seconds anyway by just having someone else with you with the test, having another laptop, using your phone etc.
>only thing that works inside it is its ability to detect if it's running in a VM or WINE
>>
>>61163391
somehow no matter what the job i end up managing stock rooms and inventory, makes me want to slit my wrists
>>
>>61163621
I know your pain
>>
FileMaker Pro
>>
>>61161984
last i checked AS/400 is an operating system. I also suspect you can interact with it in more than one way much like z/OS. Do elaborate on why you think AS/400 is shit.
>>
>>61163714
AS/400 is the actual computer/server though.
The OS is (unsurprisingly) called OS/400
>>
>>61160592
>worked with SAP once, it was so badly implemented
Try Win Web
>>
>>61161174
>SAP
SAP almost detroyed my company just getting it up and running.
My brother said that's pretty common
>>
what about salesforce?
>>
My dad just deployed SAP at his company a couple months ago. Everyone must have him now.
>>
https://sap-certification.info/sap-salaries/#div-comment-272293

Hy sir
Can u suggest me, I have completed B com 2014 I got job 2015 in Bangalore TCS company now I have 7 months experience in L&D project. I want to change my field. Like SAP course which is better for me after course completed how I get jo in bangalore.How much course fee all the details I need. Plz help me [email protected] Mob9742784287
Thank you
Sunil
>>
>>61160421
>tfw worked as a SAP Basis admin for over 2 years

Patching and upgrading this piece of shit is a nightmare, let alone diagnosing some weird arcane issue.
>>
>>61163332

And here's either an SAP shill or a high level manager who has never used SAP.

SAP is overly complex while producing no added reward for said complexity, it's slow to respond, it has an awful GUI, constant database outages, and I could go on and on. At my work we have manuals that go on for over 300 pages... FOR ONE FUCKING PROCESS. That's right, you want to release a full order? That's ONE FUCKING MAN WEEK OF FUCKING EFFORT. I'm not even a CS major or a programmer but I'm confident I could shit a better and easier to use program than the garbage that is SAP.

Also, love doing changes!

>click self execute (this is just a redundant step)
>click back
>renter change
>click save
>enter change again
>route to a checker
>FINALLY RELEASED!
>>
SAP Vice President exposed as shyster nigger.

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/langenbach/
>>
I thought JDE was shit. Until I met the filthy street-shitting whore known as SAP...
>>
>>61161878

Broke my fucking heart watching Sid and his faggy Pens take the Cup over them last year. At least they had the decency to bow out early in the playoffs this year.
>>
Try working at fucking SAP.

That place is a massive cancer of inefficiency, I honestly think the only reason people buy SAP products is because of their name. SAP produces pure trash.
>>
I like when our idiot employees are processing customer returns and scan a fucking 11-digit serial number into a quantity field and SAP happily lets them create billions of dollars' worth of inventory out of thin air. That has happened four times since we went live 14 months ago, and we've had to report it to the fucking SEC each time since we're publicly traded. Thanks, Sarbanes-Oxley!
>>
File: 1350779752768.jpg (121KB, 403x432px) Image search: [Google]
1350779752768.jpg
121KB, 403x432px
>>61165274
>Authorities say that Langenbach made more than $30,000 selling Legos on eBay
What the absolute fuck
I'd like to assume the vice president of a company as massive as SAP makes at least five times that in a year. Thats not even pure profit either since he was just using codes to get huge discounts, not for free. Then factor in all the time involved and multiple Targets gone to
What the fuck is wrong with him
Is this what direct exposure to SAP for too long does to you?
>>
Work uses SAP, Siebel AND Remedy.
It's like a holy trifecta of shit.
>>
>>61160421
Currently learning how to work with ABAP after 5 days of trainning.

Fuck this is shit is fucking overcomplicated.

To create any shit inside this shit is overcomplicated.
>>
>>61165445

Us too, though we're migrating away from Siebel to SalesForce.com. Funny thing is that was at the recommendation of SAP because they said their own CRM product "lacks maturity" when compared to SF.com.
>>
>>61165545
kek
I wish we were able to cloud hosted stuff, some of it is decent. Unfortunately <government department> is a government department, so no cloud for us.
>>
>>61160421
>>
>>61160421
Easy

PeopleSoft
SPSS
>>
File: SAP_ORL2016_07099_1440_580_v2.jpg (383KB, 1440x580px) Image search: [Google]
SAP_ORL2016_07099_1440_580_v2.jpg
383KB, 1440x580px
So I do lighting for entertainment, corporate meetings and tradeshows, and one of the gigs I do every year is SAPPHIRE NOW conference at the orange county convention center in Florida. The event is fucking huge, they use the entire building, which by the way is the 2nd largest convention center in the country behind Vegas. It takes weeks for the entire load in process, 4 days of show and and another several days to load out. Not only that but they also rent out Amway arena every year and bring in entertainment and bus all the attendees for a private concert. I can't remember who this years was, but I think last year was Jennifer Lopez and the year before was Bon Jovi (I think). Big name artists.

Anyways, my point is is that they are obviously a huge fucking company, this event has to cost them millions every year, and they have been holding this event annually for 15 years now. It seems that the almost unanimous decision in this thread is that SAP products are pure shit, what I'm wondering is how are they such a (seemingly) successful company when it seems everybody hates them? Is there no other alternatives?

Pic related
>>
>>61166033
Why do people buy apple?

Value, Quality? Or just the name and marketing?
>>
>>61166067
Name and marketing.
>>
>>61166067
There are millions of people who legitimately prefer apple OS over windows. Also yes marketing definitely plays a role in apples sales but they are marketing a clean and simple design that you can hold, they are marketing an aesthetic. SAP just sells software right? I don't see how you can compare Apple's success to SAP.

Also apple markets to consumers while SAP is trying to sell to buisnesses, huge difference.
>>
>>61166105
Business and government,

SAP market to the directors and the people who would never ever user the software. With buzzwords and other shit that managers love.

SAP is a steaming pile of shit, but with great marketing and targeting the right people, you can sell shit at an amazing profit.
>>
>>61166129
And I guess your office overlords dont listen to the people who actually have to use it huh? Even if they did is there an alternative that you would rather use?

All SAP is is database software and shit right? I've done that conference for several years now and I still don't really know what the fuck they do, like you said its just shitloads of buzzwords flying around for the entire 4 days of show.
>>
>>61166179
There is lots of purpose built software out there, SAP tried to integrate everything you need. Very poorly.

Think of all the specialist software, I'd rather use a specialist fiance system, specialist HR system, and a specialist inventory system, the 3 systems will cost less in the long run and probably integrate better than SAP.

>And I guess your office overlords dont listen to the people who actually have to use it huh?

Like I said they listen to the marketing, not us. Hell in my case it was a decision well outside of my organization by politicians, we scrapped a very well working set of software for SAP, we have never been able to get it to work like the old stuff, but contracts are signed, and legislation is written, we are stuck with the shit.
>>
>>61165545

Salesforce isn't great either, but it isn't as bad as SAP.
>>
>>61166033

it's a sales and marketing event. if the software easily sold itself, it wouldn't be necessary.

look at apple. they don't go to WMC or CES, stopped doing MacWorld and AppleExpo... they just do WWDC and their own press events.
>>
>>61160834
>if some guy in Germany left work in the afternoon with a project document open that I need to work on, I literally have to sit there all day and wait, I don't even know who it is or which plant it is.

kek, unbelivable
>>
>>61163592
No one cares about you cheating on your tests
>>
Yeah, sorry, there's a reason SAP is #3 biggest software company on the planet, far bigger than Adobe and VMware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_software_companies#Forbes_Global_2000

It just works, now go suck of a dick.
>>
SAP has a nasty learning curve and costs like your mom, but there's is literally no alternative that's so fleshed out or robust.
It does literally EVERYTHING
>>
>>61167707
Fuck off kraut
>>
>>61163304
Fuck I'm a sysadmin and Lotus Notes is the biggest pain in the ass ever.
>>
>>61167793
> It does literally EVERYTHING
If people program it to do everything. That's what is worth to consider: not only the price of software, but also the cost of programming for that software, along with integration costs.
>>
>>61160801
>praise Allah
Careful not to explode.
>>
File: 1495527102441.jpg (330KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
1495527102441.jpg
330KB, 800x680px
>>61167793
Yeah, no UNIX philosophy there.

Its a Master of Nothing, and a Failure at everything.
>>
>>61167852
People aren't wrong when they say it's 70s software with new modules bolted on, the code is literally Cthulhu in 2017 terms, but it does its job.
>>
>>61160421
>Quick access bar to change modules
>Works only on the start page
Also when we were working with them for an update of the system I swear the guys were mentally challenged and/or did not give two shits at all.
>>
>>61167881
> it does its job
Maybe it does, but not for the generation of Facebook. Imagine SAP being so backwards in terms of UX that people either demand there should be no SAP or say "fuck it, it's not worth it, I'll find a better work elsewhere". That behavior will force the company to change.
>>
>>61168005
The company doesn't change for new hires, fresh blood gets used to the archaic workflow, not the other way around.
>>
>>61168020
> fresh blood gets used to the archaic workflow
I understand that's how SAP is trying to sell its platform in 2017. I also understand they lay off people third year in a row.
>>
>>61168115
Yes its revenue and profit keep climbing? Clearly you don't need so many people to just maintain such a piece of software, new features aren't important.
>>
>>61168115
Even Intel lays off people, that's not indicative of its success.
>>
File: Capture.png (10KB, 1128x107px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10KB, 1128x107px
>>
>>61160906
Can you recommend a good blender?
>>
File: HU_mjyZq9Zs.jpg (64KB, 526x627px) Image search: [Google]
HU_mjyZq9Zs.jpg
64KB, 526x627px
>>61161407
Here in russia all business runs 1C. Much better than bloated SUP
>>
>>61168224
literally /g/, the company
>>
I'm a software developer at SAP@Walldorf. Ask any shit.
>>
>>61160897
That's just SAP with a less shitty UI.
>>
>>61168440
Is SAP HANA worth the switch?
>>
>>61160421
>Name a worse suite of software than this
every so called ERP software is nightmare. I have worked with SAP, EXACT globe, 1C (Russian nightmare), JD Edwards.
I can conclude that, DB programming is done by people who have no idea of DB programming. UI and Design is done by people who have no understanding basic modern Design concepts. Business process modelling is done by people who have no idea the hell business operates. basically if you give technology to the monkeys ERP software is what you will get.
>>
>>61168468
Especially with that new SAP HANA Vora, yes. Also worth for "SAP ecosystem" benefits.
>>
I heard SIEMENS software is a horror show
>>
>>61168588
Typical German, functionality of a kitchen sink, usable after half a year of training.
>>
>>61168440
Do you hate your life for subjecting the rest of the technical community to your horrible code and product?
>>
>>61163391
>SuccessFactors
>outage

I can 100% confirm that. SuccessFactors is horribly outdated, broken, slow software, which is now SAPs state of the art cloud offering for HR.

When you use SuccessFactors, you will get outages and java exceptions all the time.

Some of the modules within SuccessFactors are standalone applications, which means you need to setup completely unnecessary complicated integrations between them.

The outages and performance problems are basically software related. Its full of bad java code which cause memory leaks all over the place. The servers have to be restarted at least weekly else everything breaks down.

I don't get how SAP can get away with that.
>>
>>61168627
I'm just a "worker". I don't care who designs the architecture or I don't even know what the final product will be in terms of UX. I just don't care. I aim to write stable and clean code and finish the tasks I've been given and get my money. All in all it's not my papa's company. I get the money and do the job, that's it. Don't blame cogs.
>>
TIA Portal

So bad that Siemens offers a PC with the program pre installed.
>>
File: 1438980488027.jpg (52KB, 375x448px) Image search: [Google]
1438980488027.jpg
52KB, 375x448px
>>61161520
Now I know why our HR software looks the way it does. It's homebrew though.

Also anybody know Saperion? It's the best if you like losing your data you wanted to fucking archive.
>>
>>61161913
Lock-in. SAP hijacks your business and the withdrawal symptoms from getting rid of it hurt like hell.

It's like reverse ransomware.
>>
>>61168588

I'm >>61164998

It's fucking awful. Be prepared for an awful system that takes 300 page training manuals to do something that is a simple task.
>>
No, I don't want to see this shit even here. It's a fucking nightmare.

I work at a close partner firm which does full lifecycle implementations and maintenance... I've become basically desensitized to everything by this point. The other day I was trying to use the new customer-vendor integration API and realized there was a missing database field in the API structure. I found a note (SAP term for "patch") for it, and then realized it required another 3 notes more, and one of those required another 27 fucking notes to be applied, and some of them even were "Fixes dump in this essential tool caused by this other note"... at the end I just gave up and used the suicide-inducing but familiar 20-year-old BAPIs. I could write endlessly about stuff like this but I don't want to ruin my Saturday.

If you're ever offered to work with SAP just run away and don't look back.
>>
>>61161964
So much this.
I'd like to be a Cobol or abap dev though, just for a couple years, so I can retire afterwards.
>>
>>61161586
Which one? I do sales architecture for solutions on Oracle and SAP, there is no contest in the erp market. JDE, EBS or their new cloud garbage, they all suck and have been dropping market share constantly for a while.
>>
File: 1419440456784.jpg (6KB, 241x255px) Image search: [Google]
1419440456784.jpg
6KB, 241x255px
>>61169517
I would like to know more
>>
i am starting as abap consultant this monday, i am fresh graduate and have no idea about abap except some hello world shit they taught us. hows my future?
>>
>>61169684
You'll do OK, because nobody expects SAP to work.
>>
>>61169705
and they told me i am going to also use something called SAP GRC
>>
>>61167707
>It just works
>Requires thousands of man hours to configure it into a state where it's still a disappointing flaky pile of shit
>>
The reason SAP software is widely used despite the problems mentioned in this thread, is because SAP has have extensive functionality, covers all lines of businesses, and its possible to model pretty much every business process with it.

You can look up the Gartner Reports for some more info on that.
>>
>>61169639
There are some newer SAP modules where many things are object-oriented. There are some classes available to you that seem very nice and tidy, but then it turns out that internally the standard process uses a bunch of undocumented tightly coupled pile of crap mix of internal protected classes and regular structured programming, and of course it works differently than the class API they provide to you, and the client wants the program to work just like the standard one, so you have to come up with a thousands-line boilerplate clusterfuck of copypasted crap to do anything.

There are also a lot of questionable-quality external modules made by third parties in the system... I remember a very rare error where some specific process would fail maybe 1 out of 30 times, randomly. The cause was one of those external modules that forgot to clear some of the global memory it used.
>>
>>61160421
I literally can't.
/thread
>>
Teamcenter, all of it.
I mean customizing it is easy and it is very flexible, but trying to find the root cause of issues outside of your customization is a bitch. We always end up having to call them and provide them with a clone of our environment so they can replicate the issue.
It's not just even hard to dig through, it's flat out impossible.
I guess that's their way of making more money.
>>
>>61168440
Is the cloud shit worth it? It seems that the fabled cloud connector is just glorified JCo.

Our SAP company wants to get into the cloud but all I find are buzzwords and beta programs everywhere.
>>
>Not using masterrace bloomberg terminal
>>
>>61160421
It's not called Scheiße Auf Platte or Software Aus Pakistan here in Goymany for nothing.

Can earn yourself some dosh supporting it though.
>>
AVAYA, oh wait
>>
>>61172151
Satan's Absolute Punishment
>>
>>61162670
>think

You know how a chain is only as strong as its weakest link? Well, a group is only as smart as its dumbest person. Apply that to a leadership chain and voila: business stupidity.
>>
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2536212/enterprise-applications/waste-management-sues-sap-over-erp-implementation.html

Literally not good enough for garbage.
>>
SAP? Used pretty much by any business that has a large amount of products, logistics and personel.

You may not like it, but it runs the world.
>>
File: 1495564143441.jpg (795KB, 1242x2050px) Image search: [Google]
1495564143441.jpg
795KB, 1242x2050px
>>61175719
>You may not like it, but it runs the world.
>>
>>61175719
this

i work for a retail company and use sap erp all day everyday

thing about this shit is that you cant learn how it works by yourself

its so fucking propriatary it will make your eyes bleed

but IT does run the world

empty suits love it because they can report data easily which in their mind makes them smart
>>
>>61175719
Marketshare doesn't make a product good, it makes it easily marketable to idiots.
And looking at thos thread, that's exactly what's happening to SAP
>>
>>61176243
>easily marketable to idiots.

idiots make the world go around
>>
>national ISP I work for uses SAP for like two or three things per department
>each department uses it for a differnt thing
>the whole company barely makes use of SAP's functionality but it works better than everything else
>Every department uses completely differnet software and tools to perform most of the same functions outside of SAP
>they're half-baked, outdated piles of trash developed by the lowest bidding outside contractor, completely abandoned, requiring complex workarounds to accomplish basic tasks
>or worse, developed in-house and then abandoned when they laid off all their developers
>still on Office 2007
>automation systems are broken and non-standardized across the company, instead functioning on a local level, making maintenance and improvement impossible
>all of the mergers/aquisitions of the past three decades have resulted in the creation of thousands of edge cases where different steps have to be taken to acheieve the same result, since nothing was properly integrated
>system management is impossible because at any given time a full quarter of our national network is malfunctioning
The only thing worse than SAP is when SAP is the best part of your company's software stack.
>>
Isn't something as sprawling and intricate as SAP basically the largest attack surface possible?
Couldn't hackers targeting SAP take down whole corporations by rendering them inoperable for weeks as they try to get SAP back into a workable state? Introduce slow, almost unnoticable changes that work to undermine the company's profitability?
Something so large, so old, and so broken seems like an apocalypse waiting to happen.
>>
I was interviewed by SAP once, my interviewer thought Angular was a Java IDE.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>61165274
>going through all that shit to get 30k for selling lego on ebay when you're the vice president of SAP
what the fuck went through this man's mind
>>
>>61162693
In the UK that is a very good wage (outside London)
>>
>>61160592
The thing with SAP is that it is always poorly implemented, probably by design to sell more specialist hours
>>
File: 1492725022368.jpg (22KB, 202x439px) Image search: [Google]
1492725022368.jpg
22KB, 202x439px
>>61165445
>tfw pre-Oracle Siebel
>>
>>61161830
>work in IT for a large school board
>we use an ancient version of Remedy for ITSM
>we support a shitload of different SAP modules, don't even know what all of them are
wew
Thread posts: 199
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.