[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

feels good man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: feels good.jpg (682KB, 3240x1904px) Image search: [Google]
feels good.jpg
682KB, 3240x1904px
After a day of research, I'm going for it.

The NAS + 8x 8TB hdds are for 4K raw footage editing.
>>
>>61150767
Go ahead and mine burst coin on whatever space you dont use.
>>
>>61150767
>4k editing
>on a 1gbit port
how retarded are you?
>>
>>61150802

I thought this was a 10gb ethernet device. No?

What do?
>>
>>61150806
It is if you got the add in card.

"PCIe slot for optional 10GbE add-on card. Four 1GbE (RJ-45) ports with failover and Link Aggregation support."
>>
>>61150806
it comes with 4x 1gbe. and i can only assume you dont understand how port aggregation works, so no it wont make your speed 4gbps, it allows you have to 4x 1gbps streams.

If you didnt know it didnt come with 10gbe, i dont think you have a 10gbe switch either.
>>
>>61150850
kike did you even read the product specs? It DOES support 10 gb ethernet with add in card...
>>
File: 1486857600002.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486857600002.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>>61150843
>>61150850

Fuck.

I also don't think I really need a NAS, but a DAS should do, as I will be using it from one computer only.

This shit is more complicated than I thought and my 1 day research wasn't enough.

Do I have a cheaper/better solution?
>>
>>61150865
Anon is right though, I don't have the add-in card.
>>
File: Areca 1883ix-24.png (702KB, 1170x576px) Image search: [Google]
Areca 1883ix-24.png
702KB, 1170x576px
>>61150865
>It DOES support 10 gb ethernet with add in card...
>with add in card
>which isnt present in OPs pic

>>61150870
buy a raid card, pic related is mine.
>>
>>61150767
>5400 rpm
>>
Pros:

Great device and works well with my macs and other devices.

Cons:

This was a bear to get set up if you are not a computer IT person. Since I take photographs and i'm not an IT person I mistakenly called Synology and they were down right rude telling me that they didn't help people with my level of knowledge in computers and that I would need to consult an IT person. This is interesting because their advertisement for this product mentions the ease of set up. It says nothing about needing IT knowledge. I was easily able to set up a WD cloud device but they only accept 4 drives and i needed more drives. I'll get over the fact they were not helpful at Synology, but put a damper on the amount of money they cost. I hope this helps someone with little IT knowledge.

Other Thoughts:

Only folks with an IT background or mind calling an IT friend to set it up. Novices beware.
>>
File: speccy.jpg (824KB, 2421x1528px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.jpg
824KB, 2421x1528px
>>61150879

But I don't want a bunch of HDDs inside my case!

In fact my PC has zero HDDs. There are just 4 SSDs in it.
>>
File: Workstation.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Workstation.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>61150916
Buy a disk shelf or chassis with a SAS expander and either get a raid card with external SAS ports or a adapter bracket to convert internal to external ports. Pic related - to the right of the 10GbE NIC. You can find 2U SuperMicro chassis which support 12 disks and have a SAS expander for realtively cheap, a board which will support the front panel buttons and has a fan controller is like $50. Otherwise Areca and other companies make small external enclosures which have SAS connections

http://www.areca.us/products/12gsasjbod.htm
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.