[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Qubes OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: download.png (2KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2KB, 310x163px
Edward Snowden says this is what we should use. What does /g/ think of this distro?
>>
>>61149756
Snowden is an idiot
>>
>>61149930

But is the security model practical?
>>
>>61149756
Practical ,sorta ( malware can still break out of virtual environments ) but resource intensive, defiantly
>>
>>61149756
This is really a decent setup. I used to lurk with the maskfags that came up with this concept originally, but it was a 300 page OS build, which Im sure is still more secure, but Qubes is the essential parts of their build. Debian 8 with Whonix forcing all traffic through tor.

>>61149930

Based Snow is a true fucking patriot
>>
>>61149756
stallman says use trisquel still gay as fuck
>>
>>61149930
Fuck off NSA
>>
>>61149756
>systemd
lolno
>>
>>61149756
I use it. Here are my thoughts.

The security isn't perfect, and there have been bugs that allow VM escape. Qubes 4.0 promises to address to by switching to Xen HVM instead of Xen PV. I'm skeptical and I've yet to see a precise statement of what CPUs will be supported by Qubes 4.0. I've yet to find any preview releases.
Install i3. Update the fedora templates to 24. Wait for or help with https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2455 if you want 25 or later.
Abandon the glitchy GUI VM manager and learn the command line qvm-* utilities.
Don't try to start/stop VMs in parallel. The scripts aren't re-entrant and parallel startup and shutdown usually results in broken networking or other freezes/glitches.
It is possible to tunnel connections through Qubes' internal networking to a "server" vm, if you're okay with the ding to your security. I do this to allow ssh access to certain VMs. You need to know how to use iptables and suffer from autism to do this. If I had to do it again, I'd give up and use ssh to set up a tunnel from inside the VM. Much easier.

Overall it's glitchy and little amateur, but the security bits (Xen) are handled by a more competent team. Until something "better" comes along, or the Fedora templates go EOL, I'll keep using it.
>>
>>61149756
Snowden is gay.

I only use Windows because I trust Microsoft and the NSA.
>>
File: 1496687608466.png (174KB, 696x678px) Image search: [Google]
1496687608466.png
174KB, 696x678px
>>61149756
I think its neat. I played around with it on my laptop for a couple days and I liked how easy it is to spawn up disposable vm's to open potentially malicious files. I would't mind using it full time but I went back to my regular linux install because I would be losing stuff like power management (tlp/thinkfan/powertop) and hardware accelerated video.
>>
>>61150656
>switching to Xen HVM instead of Xen PV
I thought I read somewhere they were thinking of switching to kvm
>>
>>61150656
Okey, he's not perfect, but it still the Best os for Secure usage
>>
>>61150705
Please see commentary section in
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-secpack/blob/master/QSBs/qsb-030-2017.txt
>>
>>61150740
I'm honestly thinking of giving up on it and Linux in general and switching to some *BSD, and really going full autism and never opening anything that isn't plaintext.

or maybe just use a typewriter.
>>
>>61149930
t. NSA nigga
>>
>>61149756
>relying on xen for security

https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.