[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Git Repos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: download.png (4KB, 348x145px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 348x145px
So, starting a new software project in Unity, first time working with GIT, project is not open source.

Other developer (just two of us, for now) wants to use GIT for source control if possible.

Paid options are possible but low budget is preferred.

What repository do you guys recommend and why?

Here are the names I've wrangled up and am currently comparing pros and cons before I pick one.

>GitHub
>Bitbucket
>GitLab
>Deveo
>>
Compare the shit yourself retard.
>>
just don't use kiln
>>
>>61146479
Comparisons aren't going to tell me how they worked out for actual people. That just lets me compare pricing and specs. I'm looking for anecdotes about what it was like using these services from other people.

>>61146501
Whats kiln do badly? Bad service?
>>
>>61146456
Bitbucket has unlimited free private repos, go for It.
>>
File: 1493331311044.jpg (97KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1493331311044.jpg
97KB, 1024x768px
>>61146456
>project is not open source
Why not?
>>
>>61146950
Because the project's primary purpose is to make money. Both of our current employment is not adequate to just do work on a project for free. Income is important.

>>61146930
I was sortof leaning that way. What's your experience with it?
>>
Gitlab free account has unlimited private repos, free static websites with cert, work groups and some CI, wiki and ofc good markdown rendering.
It's objectively the best one.
>>
You're *farting* a new software product? Something stinks!
>>
>>61147057
Dozen of private projects. Repo size limited to 2GB though so you have to use the dedicated infrastructure for large files storage to upload assets and such. Better not using git to keep track of those anyway...
>>
>>61147057
Btw use UE4 and not that shit Unity
>>
I don't use any source control with Unity since it is so compartmentalized and uses no human read files. For a team project I just used dropbox and would archive the entire project. Obviously not a good approach for a fuck huge game but for smaller stuff it just worked fine.
>>
I use bitbucket.
Run a 200K/yr business
Holds our code fine.
Sometimes wobbles around midnight early morning maybe handful of times since I started on it
>>
>>61147351
>200K/yr business
>more than one employee
India?
>>
>>61146456
>Unity

how about you fuck off instead shit zipper.
>>
>>61146456
>Unity
>>
>>61146456
>What repository do you guys recommend and why?
Uh, pull off each other's machines. You know, self-host. On whatever box.

Need a website thing on top rather than just, say, scp to do it? https://github.com/gitbucket/gitbucket
>>
>>61147496
>Trying to earn a living is bad.
Do you live somewhere with all your needs provided for or something?

>>61147305
>Don't use Unity
The other developer has a lot of unity experience. I much prefer to work in C# to C++, and I don't think he has much experience with C++. We started it last week and are just lagging on setting up a repo for version control.

There's a lot of stuff in UE4 that looks pretty good though, and it may well be what we go with next time, even if I do have a preference for strongly typed object oriented languages.
>>
>>61147609
>Trying to earn a living is bad.
it is if you expect people to do your work for free.

this a Stallman board faggot. fuck off to reddit and beg for free testimonials from them.
>>
>>61147609
>The other developer knows how to click two pieces of legos together
>He doesn't know how to program though
>I prefer working in C#
>Look I mentioned C++ gaise am I cool yet
>We started last week!!
>But we don't have version control yet

All of these things tell me that you are a faggot and that your project is going to fail horrendously.

t, About to start fourth month of developing a videogame engine
>>
>git
>unity

you're wasting your time already.

unity offers a nonfree versioning tool primarily because 90% of unity's output is binary blobs that can't be diff'd efficiently.
>>
File: 1498459166074.jpg (47KB, 381x398px) Image search: [Google]
1498459166074.jpg
47KB, 381x398px
>>61146456
Into the GNUlag you go
>>
>>61147700
Hes a freelance contractor who generally works on mobile games, in Unity. Most of my work has been server side page generation and database code for an HR company that sells HR products. Lots of SQL and C# and JS and (sadly) PHP for legacy code. I have a degree in CS, and have worked in C++ several times over the years. I found it tedious, and much preferred writing strongly typed object oriented languages in a decent IDE, C# and Java being the ones I've preferred so far. I just found them faster and easier to write and debug.

Whats your issue with C#?

>>61147727
I'm mostly just looking to be able to do rollback and such. What would you suggest instead, just daily backups of the whole project to dated folders in an ftp server?
>>
Gitlab and host it on a spare computer.
>>
>>61147700

self host with gogs. It's easy to configure and you don't have to worry about someone else losing your data.
>>
just use github, it's more useful then just a git repo, since 99% of projects are on github having a github account is useful so you can star them etc.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.