[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emacs vs Vim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: New 413.jpg (947KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
New 413.jpg
947KB, 864x1536px
Emacs vs Vim
>>
>>61143296
Emacs
>>
>>61143296
Vim
>>
>>61143296
Emacs.
>>
Emacs.
>>
>>61143296
Vim.
>>
>>61143296
dd
>>
>he doesn't ssh into vintage Unix boxes
>he uses any editor but ed or his own hacked together shell script made of cat, sed, awk and a series of pipes and redirects
>>
>>61143425
Kek
>>
i havent used either but ill go with vim i heard its more user friendly
>>
>>61143296

Ed is the standard text editor
>>
File: multi-line-selection[1].gif (93KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
multi-line-selection[1].gif
93KB, 500x280px
Neither.
>>
>>61143296
visual studio

/thread
>>
Emacs. Prefer Vim keys? Install Evil-mode.

There is no reason to use Vim over Emacs unless you are working a computer from the 80s.
>>
>>61144017
I use evil, finally someone who gets it
>>
>>61143889
Why is this different than a simple find and replace
>>
>>61143889
both vim and emacs have have multi-cursor support
but what's the deal? why not simple replace query or execute macro on every occurrence?
>>
Emacs is objectively better.
I still don't like it.
>>
>>61143296
Nano
>>
>>61144017
Why prefer emacs+evil over just vim in that case
>>
ed
>>
nano,ed
>>
Spacemacs
>>
>cut the current line into clipboard and erase line

Vim: cc

Emacs: C-x M-c Footpedal-c C-g C-mxc
>>
File: Space-cadet.jpg (1MB, 2001x773px) Image search: [Google]
Space-cadet.jpg
1MB, 2001x773px
Neither. They're both obsolete beyond measure.

Nobody needs an editor that can work on a VT100 terminal and designed around its limitations (vi), they _do_ need an editor that can show a preview before printing. They don't need one designed to use special keys from LISP machine keyboards (emacs), they _do_need one that uses the standard UI conventions of the past 25 years, like ctrl-X/C/V for cut/copy/paste.

For every of the few (and usually obscure and sophisticated) task that those editors can do that others' can't, you'd be better off learning some other tool that can do the job even better than emacs/vim and which doesn't have the learning curve because it's modern.
>>
>>61147438
> editors displaying things
They are for editing though

>vi
That's not vim

>ctrl+c is copy
Lol, what bizarre standard is that from? Where I'm from that sends SIGTERM
>>
Vim,
Emacs shortcuts are really less enjoyable to me than vim modal edition.
Sure you can use evil mode, but it remains emacs.

However, lisp is a big plus for emacs over Vimscript !

Vim implements asynchronous processing in the later versions so it's no longer an argument.
I don't know much about neovim
>>
>>61143296
(Neo)Vim.
>>
>>61147565
Actually why ? :)
Real question
>>
File: CYRg8CTVAAIiFW6.jpg-large.jpg (78KB, 1060x596px) Image search: [Google]
CYRg8CTVAAIiFW6.jpg-large.jpg
78KB, 1060x596px
>>61146621
>Nano
>>
>>61147565
Nu-Vim is trash.
>dude lets move the vimrc somewhere else and also rename it and also break compatibility
>have to click close twice on neovim-qt
>colorcolumn fucks up with Unicode
>>
>>61147410
I think you'll find all you need to do is press C-w C-k
>>
>>61144110
this lets you upload a snazzy animation to your favorite social media
>>
>>61143296
I use vim but don't mind people using anything else as long as they're not being faggots about it.
>>
>>61146661
What if you want vim but want it to be less responsive?
>>
>>61143296
Vim
>>
>>61143296
At the very least if you are working with headless machines you should have a basic understanding of vi because it is almost guaranteed to be installed.
>>
>>61144110
faster and more intuitive
>>
>>61147605
>I'll just post this webcomic instead of expressing my own thoughts!
>>
>>61148180
With vim:
/entry-meta qqciWnewtext<ESC>gnq5@q
Will change the 6 fiesta .entry-meta to newtext.

This is faster than selecting each iteration with the mouse
>>
>>61148389
In Sublime you don't have to manually select each iteration with the mouse. You can press Ctrl+F to find the phrase, and then Shift+Enter to select all iterations of it.
>>
>>61143296
Vim
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.