[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which programming languages should a competent programmer know?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 17

File: 1489957414150.jpg (197KB, 949x652px) Image search: [Google]
1489957414150.jpg
197KB, 949x652px
Which programming languages should a competent programmer know?
>>
Assembly

/thread
>>
The entire ISA for the microprocessor he is currently using and enough of the programming language of his compiler to make his own effective changes. If you don't meet these requirements, you might as well be a troglodyte fucking webdev.
>>
ALL of them
>>
>>61142621

C
C++
Lua
>>
lisp, or even better: (((scheme)))
>>
>>61142647
What's wrong with web development as long as you actually understand what you're using?
>>
C++
Java
Javascript (+ HTML & CSS)
Python
+ a few others of your choice
>>
yacc syntax
>>
>>61142672
>Lua
Why?
>>61142698
>C++
>Java
Why both?
>>
>>61142698

also forgot to add SQL to this list, whatever dialect you like as long as it isnt some retarded meme one
>>
>>61142717

Good for scripting (LuaJIT) and for scientific computing using Torch7. It's a non-bloated alternative for Python.

Chai-Script is decent also.
>>
>>61142717

C++ for performance, Java because it's everywhere and you can't escape it
>>
>>61142621
He should not know "many" languages, mastering one is already out of reach of most programmers. Pity is the trend is to hop between languages, always picking what's the newest and most hip.
>>
since it's 2017...

Javascript, PHP7+, Python, then C++

You could go the Java/C# route if you want to be laughed at.
>>
>>61142768

>don't different tools in your toolbox

hmmm
>>
>>61142730
>some retarded meme one
So basically anything but SQLite
>>
>>61142621
Master Foo and the Recruiter

A technical recruiter, having discovered that that the ways of Unix hackers were strange to him, sought an audience with Master Foo to learn more about the Way. Master Foo met the recruiter in the HR offices of a large firm.

The recruiter said, “I have observed that Unix hackers scowl or become annoyed when I ask them how many years of experience they have in a new programming language. Why is this so?”

Master Foo stood, and began to pace across the office floor. The recruiter was puzzled, and asked “What are you doing?”

“I am learning to walk,” replied Master Foo.

“I saw you walk through that door” the recruiter exclaimed, “and you are not stumbling over your own feet. Obviously you already know how to walk.”

“Yes, but this floor is new to me.” replied Master Foo.

Upon hearing this, the recruiter was enlightened.
>>
>>61142794

if you are offered a job at a company that uses anything other than PostgreSQL, MySQL or Oracle, run away as fast as you can because their shitty meme database is going to fuck up and crash the company into the ground
>>
>>61142808
Sure, but how do you "learn to program" without a programming language?
>>
>>61142850

SQLite is hands down the best for small/med projects, but yeah big time stuff you'll want to use those
>>
>>61142794
RDBMS principles are the same across systems that implement it. It doesn't matter what you're using.
>>
>>61142899

the principles are the same but the implementation absolutely is not

people who believe stuff that you just typed are the ones who bankrupt companies by losing gigabytes of data during a corrupted transaction
>>
>>61142808
fuck off already white pig shit
>>
C, C++, Java, something scriptish and something functional.
>>
>>61143531
>something scriptish
Any of them?
bash is a given, I mean additionally
>>
>>61143639
More or less.
>>
>>61143639
>bash is a given
The guys at SMGL did some serious wizardry, pun intended. Look at their docs http://docs.sourcemage.org/
>>
Unironically all of them. If you actually know how to program, you can learn any language easily. Just use whichever is best for the situation you're in.
>>
>>61143687
Is there any advantage to learning Perl or Ruby over Python?
>>
C++, Java or C# depending on the platform your focusing on.
Python or another scripting language.

At least some competency at algorithmic thinking.
>>
>>61142867
Yes but how do you "learn to walk" without a floor?
>>
What language should a person who has no intention of going to the industry and want to learn for hobbyist purposes learn? Like if I want to make a shitty website or a shitty android app or a shitty desktop app.
>>
>>61142621
Lisp is the only programming language you should know.

Every programming language can be represented with Lisp (including Lisp itself), making it the most powerful programming language ever made.
>>
>>61143823
Perl and Clojure, painless and fun.
>>
>>61143834
Which dialect, though?
>>
>>61143823
>shitty website
PHP, you can hack together some piece of shit in a few days.
>shitty android app
That uses Java doesn't it? Learn that.
> shitty desktop app.
Java again.
>>
C
A Functional Programming Language
Lisp
Enough HTML/CSS/PHP to get by
and maybe a scripting language
>>
>>61142808
>suspicious bulge

my dick is confused
>>
>>61143834

The same can be said of any programming language nigger.
>>
>>61143888
Thats just roast beef. dont mind it
>>
Times New Roman
>>
>>61143893
Wasn't there a book where you can make you own Lisp written in C? Is the most direct proof of that.
>>
>>61142768
Lol, wut? The basic underlying concepts between most languages is the same. The best thing you can do is learn the concepts then all you really need to do is apply the specific syntax for the language you are using, the learning of which takes less time than you would think.

Being able to change up what language you use makes you far more marketable to employers, and it gives you far more job security.

You don't need to "MASTER" any language in this day and age. When you run into a unicorn case, you can just look up information on it online.
>>
>>61142621
What kind of stupid question is this?
The programmer should only know the languages that he's working with.
>>
File: get a load.jpg (43KB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
get a load.jpg
43KB, 640x496px
>>61144019
>>
>>61142867
Mathematics,algorithm, computer science
>>
>>61143765
Anyone?
>>
>>61144221
no

Perl maybe
Ruby is a meme language that Starbucks sheep use
>>
>>61144245
>Ruby is a meme language that Starbucks sheep use
Elaborate
>>
>>61144284
it was really only popular for Ruby on Rails (the top framework for webdev hipsters) but they all moved to node.js
>>
>>61144311
The rails community is still huge though. I don't get why /g/ hates ruby so much
>>
Pseudo

Everything else falls in place.
>>
A competent programmer should be able to pick up any language in a day or two
>>
>>61142697

the way we've architected the internet is inherently flawed

unless you're working backend on some new network or blockchain type application, in which you're now not really doing web dev you're doing systems engineering

TCP/IP was designed for a full trust environment, there is basically no security built into the protocols, and HTTP is a bastardization of what networked hypertext was supposed to be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu

also if you stick with web dev you'll be learning from mostly other web developers, who at their best have a flawed understanding of systems engineering, and at their worst have copy and pasted their career from stackoverflow, and on average couldn't tell you how a computer works
>>
>>61144414
Is it bad to start with web shit then branch off to actual in-depth programming?
>>
SQL.

If you want to write any non-trivial application, you should know some SQL.
>>
Learn whichever is necessary for your task. Programming is only a skill that gets you achieving your goal.
>>
>>61144378

> A competent programmer should be able to pick up any language in a day or two

It isn't about learning syntax and copying code from stackoverflow. Learn a language implies that you know also the environment which surrounds that language: Tooling, tricks, best approaches, documentation and so on...
>>
>>61144447
No, its fine. Once you understand basic control flow and data structures switching between languages is easy. Anybody who says otherwise is just inexperienced. If you're doing webdev and want to get into systems engineering, the problems you'll run into are going to be much more complex than language specific issues
>>
>>61144447

yes

if you want instant validation, learn python to script things on your computer, but if you are patient enough to actually learn how computers work, learn some C, then study a higher level language like Lisp and Haskell, then learn assembly

if you would like to leave commodityarchitectureland, buy a beginner's FPGA and learn digital hardware design

if you would like to leave digitalville learn electronics and semiductors, and physics

>>61144524

web dev languages are a poor way to learn data structures

>If you're doing webdev and want to get into systems engineering, the problems you'll run into are going to be much more complex than language specific issues

certain language and platform communities are simply more intelligent and "engineery" than others, you won't learn much by hanging around ruby on rails devs or PHP monkeys
>>
>>61144506
Which, to a competent programmer, are also easy to pick up. If a language says it tries to be as stateless as possible, then a competent programmer would know how to approach that. If a language/environment says it conforms to an MVC paradigm, then a competent programmer should know what that means and how to design with that in mind.

>It isn't about learning syntax and copying code from stackoverflow

being a competent programmer is always more than that
>>
>>61144584
>web dev languages are a poor way to learn data structures
You're actually probably correct with this. You won't be using trees or graphs much in javascript, for instance. Still, for a total beginner, web isn't horrible. If you're having trouble with arrays and for loops, pointers and monads are going to be way too overwhelming
>>
>>61144584
It doesn't matter what you start with as long as you have the drive to learn more anyway, so starting with web isn't necessarily bad even though it's probably not useful.
>>
File: vitalik.jpg (50KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
vitalik.jpg
50KB, 341x341px
>>61144636
>Still, for a total beginner, web isn't horrible

it instills a flawed intuition of how frameworks should be designed, and like I said the internet is poorly architected and all the c00l k1dz are moving to alternate platforms which are for the most part system agnostic

don't waste your time learning horseshit lest ye plan on shoveling horseshit for a living
>>
>>61144740
>it instills a flawed intuition of how frameworks should be designed
how so?
>moving to alternate platforms
such as?
>>
Know C and ASM.
Be familiar with Python, C++, Java, Perl, Lisp, JS + HTML, CSS, SQL

then whatever you want/like/need
>>
Haskell, Rust, and D
>>
>>61142621
All of these, in complete detail:
Scala
Hasklel
C++
D
Perl6
/bread
>>
>>61142621
VHDL
>>
>>61142621
Some assembly, C, C++, java, javascript, php, sql, pl/sql, python, bash
And some libraires for GUI stuff, drawing, networking...
Bonus point : have made sys programming, managing process, threads, made pipes...
>>
C++/Java/C#
Python
SQL
CSS
HTML
XML
JavaScript
>>
(Java|C++|C#)
Javascript
C
(Python|Perl|Ruby)
SQL
A Lisp

Be familiar with all, master 2 or 3.
>>
Are there any good resources for learning Java, GUI stuff and all? Head First Java is good and all, but it's Java 5, and I have no idea what I'm missing from the later versions.
>>
>>61147179

Java 8 is a pretty big change but you can live without it if you're just learning programming now.
>>
Python, nothing more.
>>
A competent programmer can learn the basics of any language in an hour.
>>
File: 1498763671645.jpg (149KB, 949x652px) Image search: [Google]
1498763671645.jpg
149KB, 949x652px
>>
>>61142808
STOP WITH THIS GEMMA SHIT DUDE.
>>
File: 1498763671645.jpg (171KB, 949x652px) Image search: [Google]
1498763671645.jpg
171KB, 949x652px
>>
Binary my nigga
>>
File: eval-apply.gif (3KB, 592x236px) Image search: [Google]
eval-apply.gif
3KB, 592x236px
>>61143893
>>61143920
Holy shit you both are undergrad for sure: Lisp metaprogramming is so fucking powerful that you can implement any language as a DSL using just macros!

And of course you can make a Lisp compiler with C: you can also implement one with game of life automatas, because they are all turing complete... duh!

Here is a fact: if you don't know some Lisp you can't call yourself a programmer.
>>
>>61148791
That's depend on how you define "competent" and "basics". I would like to see what you would learn in just one hour of Agda.
>>
There's no limit.
>>
>>61142647

What's the point? Less than a tenth of 1% of developers actually need that level of control.
>>
>>61148841
>ruby and c#
>>
Javascript - it's everywhere, doesn't hurt to knows some, see the latest standards, it's pretty decent if used properly but can easily backfire. always 'use strict'

Python/Lua - might pop up in applications such as redis or blender, you might need to deal with them

Bash/Powershell/Batch - you'll need some scripting knowledged in these to be able to automate repetitive tasks. Combine it with Python/PHP/Node.js in case you need something like communicating with web API

Git - not a programming language, but essential to know

C - countless languages have their roots in C, one way or the other so learning it will give you an edge, still relevant for writing OS/drivers or micro controller code or ultra-portable libraries

C++ - learn to use those templates, other than that relevant for developing complex desktop applications or stuff where performance matters, OS, Adobe stuff (photoshop, illustrator), game engines (note that these are not weekend projects)

C#/Java - you'll need one of these memory managed equipped with reflection compiled to byte-code languages. They seem to be well equipped for the needs of companies and businesses and for clients that change their requirements quite often.

Assembly - will make you appreciate all the effort that went into developing optimizing compilers. Assembly though is used for writing small parts of an OS such as a boot-loader, interrupt handler or writing virtualization software or writing your own compiler. I recommend NASM for sanity or using the inline assembly features of a C/C++ compiler

HTML/ES6/CSS - wanna make websites? choose this route! Use whichever language you're most comfortable with as a backend C# Node.js Java and Python are pretty cool. Avoid PHP and avoid jQuery. w3schools is decent at starting out but I recommend watching some proper courses that explain some stuff more in depth. Fun thing to do is trying to reverse engineer websites to see how they did certain stuff.
>>
>>61148776
Perl is better.
>>
>>61142645
this
and also Ada, C, C++, Lua
>>
>>61142768

'Mastery' of one and only one language will impair you from taking on any realistic work. A good level of understanding in everything is ideal.

But in the case of new learners. Its better to focus on one language till you're confident in how it works, once you understand that. Every programming language feels like a syntax change.
>>
>>61152098
What about specific features though?
Pretty sure switching from Java to Haskell won't just feel like a syntax change
>>
>>61142621
C, Java and Python
>>
>>61146652
>>61145121
Is it necessary to know several scripting languages though? Seems like a waste of time
>>
>>61142621
a lisp and nothing else. i have started by learning racket and everytime i learn another programming language, it's like going backward on the plt scale.
>>
>>61152654
>a lisp and nothing else
>how to be uneployable and unable to work on any sizeable project 101
>>
>>61153188
i would kill myself if i had to program anymore for the industry, it's the worst thing a programmer could have to do. the best thing in programming is being a hobbyist or an indie. if you are a good lisper, you will find a job easily, trust me. at one moment, around 2003-2005, being an experienced lisper got you insta-hired at naughty dog (they are still heavily using lisp)
>>
>>61142621
it's impossible to know C++
>>
File: 1489566773641.png (447KB, 1089x793px) Image search: [Google]
1489566773641.png
447KB, 1089x793px
>>61142672
Patrician taste
>>
>>61153371
>Career advice from over a decade ago

Thanks gramps.
>>
>>61154407

Learn anything that will you get into the field of blockchains/crypto, AI, big data, or data science.
>>
>>61153406

But isn't impossible to produce decent code using it.
>>
Ive noticed, in the last two years,a huge decline in jobs for all but web dev; the web dev jobs, in my area at least, have no Jr. Dev positions and expect expert level understanding of very specific tools and frameworks. Bottomline if you want a job see whats happening in your area, if you just want to code pick a problem youd like to solve and see how most people solved it.
>>
>>61154539
So, Python?
>>
>>61151309
I'll take your advice with a couple changes.

>Python/Lua
Only the minimum required of Python, Python has to die anyway. Perl on the other hand is used a lot and is good to know it and use it for your own small projects anyway.
>Bash/Powershell/Batch
Only Bash, and I mean proper Bash scripting, stay away from zsh. If you ever need more power you may as well go with Perl, is a powerful language Python can never compare.
>Git
Add some mercurial for some projects, is not that hard.
>C#/Java
Thank cthulhu you can replace Java with Clojure, only learn the minimum Java required to understand what you do.
>>
Machine Code, ASM, C, a scripting language, a web language
>>
>>61142621
The data science version
>C
>R
>SQL
>Python
>Bash
SAS users are brainlets
>>
>>61156811
>Python has to die anyway. Perl on the other hand
But Python is getting more and more popular, while Perl is losing in popularity.
>is a powerful language Python can never compare
What?
>>
>>61142621
Processing is enough for every purpose.
>>
>>61142621
C/C++ because everyone fucking requires it, Java, Python and Xcode if you want to secure an employment.
>>
Haskell is literally the only language you will ever need. It's the only language I knwo
>>
>>61151309
wait whats wrong with jQuery ?
>>
>>61160051
>C/C++ because everyone fucking requires it
they don't though
>>
Is C++ the most patrician language?
>>
>>61160743
Every job offer I've seen requires C/C++, bonus if You're familiar with MySQL or PHP.
>>
I'd love to do all these cool system engineering stuff but literally 95%> jobs near me at for web devs. Rest are senior positions
>>
>>61160878
welcome to the job market, and the ones you do find that are relevant are gonna pay peanuts
>>
>>61160878
>>61160956
Just become a sysadmin
>>
File: ss-2017-06-28-21-14-34.png (95KB, 630x750px) Image search: [Google]
ss-2017-06-28-21-14-34.png
95KB, 630x750px
>>61160832
There's plenty of C jobs, but if it's the only ones you've seen then your sample is shit. Also C++ is a meme
>>
>>61142621
-Javascript
-C++/C#/Java
>>
>>61142621
C++

but if you want fast money

PHP,Ruby,Phyton,Javascript.
>>
>>61142621
I know:
C++
C
Java
Python
Rust
JavaScript
SQL
Bash
Go

I'd say you need a scripting language (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc), your shell's language, C++ or C, JavaScript, and SQL. That allows you to do almost everything easily. Simple shell tasks, quick Python utilities, microcontroller and high performance with C++ or C, program a full web stack, etc. Then anything you need for your job. Then your favorite new language, if you're interested in programming languages.
>>
>>61157529
>unironically using python
>>
Basic
>>
>>61142752
Why not mruby instead?
>>
>>61142621
If you want to make anything useful: C++
If you want to make Android games and web pages: everything else
>>
>>61142621
Ada, C, C++
>>
>>61142621
Russian
>>
>>61144344
Because literally no one uses it for any actual marketable project, and the only people that want more ruby devs are other ruby devs. There is not a single thing ruby does better than any other language, and it's not a jack of all trades either.
Ruby is flat out as useless as modern languages get.
>>
>>61142621
someone give me the rundown or something on PLC programming im trying to get into instrumentation
>>
>>61161471
I'm not saying the focus is C itself, I was implying that I've a lot of employers requiring knowledge of C as a start/basis.
>>
File: 1493252660309.gif (2MB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1493252660309.gif
2MB, 230x230px
Which language should I master fully if I want to avoid all math?

HTML? HTML, right?
>>
>>61166495
>github
>metasploit
>airbnb
>>
C, C++ (literally C bloated), ASM (to hook and debug stuff)
>>
File: LKLrvV2.jpg (169KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LKLrvV2.jpg
169KB, 1080x1080px
If a good programmer can learn a new language relatively quickly (just learning the syntax for example), what topics/concepts do you need to understand to be considered a good programmer such that learning a new language is easy?

>variables
>conditionals
>loops
>arrays
>functions
>basic logic
>data types
>data structures (linked lists, hash tables, etc.) - what are the essential ones?
>basic architecture (cpu/ram)

What else?
>>
>>61143867
java can also be used for shitty server app
>>
>>61142781
Lots of jobs in enterprise for C#/Java
>>
>>61142867
The idea is that you don't need to learn a specific language to be competent at programming. Languages are different surfaces to walk on. Maybe you need to learn briefly how to walk on different surfaces but as long as you know how to walk you can apply that basic understanding to most surfaces (languages).
>>
>>61168951
Depends what you mean by "easy". Honestly it's mostly a matter of learning languages and making connections between them : what are the differences and what are the similarities.

For example, going from Python to C is gonna be different than from Assembler to Haskell.

But your list is pretty good core knowledge.
>>
>>61168994
This as fuck. There is a device in your house with the JVM, guaranteed.
>>
>>61168951
You would probably be better off understanding different programming paradigms and when to use each one. Functional, imperative, and OOP are the main ones, at least at the moment (not in that order). Because aside from the syntax of a language, you need to know the particular style of the language as well. For example, writing the same program in a functional language is not only going to be different due to the syntax, but also due to the entire way in which the program should be arranged.

Next up would probably be algorithms. You need to know things like DFS, BFS, quicksort, heapsort, Dijkstra's, Prim's, Kruskal's, where you'll put your data structures to use. Knowing runtimes will help in interviews as well. This is probably the most fundamental skill a programmer can have.

And if you're a true baller, you should probably understand something about the theory of computation. For example, what a stack machine is. That way you can not just learn new languages, but reason about new hardware and architectures that will crop up.
>>
>>61142781
>You could go the Java/C# route if you want to be laughed at.
this is what junior "web" "devs" actually believe
>>
>>61146893
this + something functional
>>
python
php
html
>>
>>61150346
Why do people use this expression?
>>
>>61142621
C
C++
Assemmbly
VHDL
Verilog
>>
depends on what industry you want to work in, and what company you want to work for

For example investment banks use Java and C++

Startups will use newer languages like Go and Scala.
>>
>>61169346
Does anyone use Perl?
What about Lisps?
>>
>>61144414
You speak as if those protocols were developed recently. They didn't know what the internet would become.
>>
>>61168951
DESIGN PATTERNS
>>
>>61169341
>Verilog
>VHDL
Why?
>>
>>61142621
C
Java
Python
>>
>>61171490
finally someone who gets it
>>
Why does everyone have such a huge boner for python
>>
File: 3978.png (357KB, 2000x2160px) Image search: [Google]
3978.png
357KB, 2000x2160px
>>61142621
>>
>>61171593
Big fucking libraries
>>
>>61171593
let's need to quickly write a 200-line script that does some random stuff like for example scrape data from a website, pack it into csv and make a chart out of it
what language do I use?
turns out python is the best answer
turns out people need to write scripts like this a lot
>>
>>61171647
let's say I need*
>>
>>61171647
>turns out python is the best answer
perl, bash
>>
>>61171669
perl is decent at that but has a steep learning curve
bash is trash for anything other than repl
>>
>>61171669
>perl
unnecessarily complex for such small tasks
>bash
god-awful syntax. I would rather kill myself than write a bash script longer than 5 lines
>>
>>61171696
ruby
>>61171730
perl isn't complicated
>>
>>61168951
monad
>>
>>61171647
>200 lines

laugh in ruby.
>>
>>61142621
>know
>he thinks knowing how to make "hello world" counts as knowing
>>
c++
c#
curl
/thread
>>
>>61142621
I have a degree in cs from a shit tier University.
They only taught us C, java, excel and verilog.
I literally got a degree in cs without knowing anything else.
>>
>>61173906
he's asking about a competent programmer, not about a cs graduate
>>
>>61171593

its easy to quickly bang out scripts that work

>reeee but if we had taken 10x as long to write in C then it would only take 7 seconds instead of 9 reeeeeeee
>>
>>61142621
whichever you're being paid to use
>>
>>61173996
>>Implying
I can literally do anything anyone else can do in any other language.
It's all Turing complete bro
Gee read a book
>>
File: cce.jpg (59KB, 600x793px) Image search: [Google]
cce.jpg
59KB, 600x793px
>>61174038
>thinks basic theory of computation is some arcane knowledge
>assumes everyone else is stupid
yep, a cs grad
>>
>Software engineer/dev
Java, C++, Python

>Hw/system engineer
C++, C, Asm

>Back-end dev
PHP

>Front-end dev
JS

>iOS dev
Objective C

>Android dev
Java, Kotlin, Go
>>
>>61174162
>Back-end dev
>PHP

yeah, nah. php is mostly required for low-tier fullstack jobs where you do twice the work for half the pay

https://www.indeed.com/q-php-back-end-jobs.html

https://www.indeed.com/q-java-back-end-jobs.html
>>
>>61142621
C and Swift
>>
>>61174231
Sarcasm
>>
>>61174155
>Knows a name, nothing more
Butthurt webdev
>>
>>61142621
C
Asm
FORTRAN
Basic HTML/CSS/JS for website creation.
Lisp
>>
>>61174273
what are you even on about?
>>
>know python and am starting to learn C
>My degree means I have to learn Java

Am I fucked lads?
Is Java as shit as they say it is?
>>
>>61174309
Yes, but you'll be alright.
>>
>>61174287
Your mum bro
>>
>>61174309
>Is Java as shit as they say it is?
who? the 15 year old /v/ crowd?
>>
Brainfuck
>>
>>61142621
Whichever ones make you $$$
>>
>>61174351
spotted the H1-B
>>
>>61142621
I live in a 3rd world country and beseide web developing php and java/Javascript are the only languages that have jobs
>>
>>61174395
I'm a native european so fuck off amerifriend. btw the pajeets are better than you in every way except for personal hygiene
>>
javascript

Many jobs these days require javascript and knowledge of atleast one of its frameworks
>>
>>61174351
What is good about Java?
>>
Is lisp /g/'s favorite language?
>>
>>61174482
it has the greatest, most mature ecosystem, the biggest community and most jobs
>>
>>61174570
Why does /g/ not like it then?
>>
c c++ php
>>
Assembly for embedded programming.
C for software programming.
C++ for scientific programming.
Lua for scripting.

Anything else is shitmaster meme tier. No, I did not forget about Rust and Lisp.
>>
>>61174587
/g/ is not one person. some people don't care about all those things I mentioned because they don't do a lot of programming. when all you do all day is circlejerk in /dpt/ then the language that has the most elegant/fastest fizzbuzz implementation wins over the one that is focued more on quickly producing big, reliable and maintainable systems
>>
>>61174587
>>61174667
also read this and don't ever take anything posted here seriously again. including my posts
>>
>>61174700
>tfw I trusted autistic people on a Slavic shoe string forum to guide me with me degree
>>
Scala , Java
C++
Python
>>
Right now: C#, Java, Python, SQL, PHP, JavaScript, Batch, Bash
>>
>>61142850
Two days late to say Microsoft SQL is basically as good as Oracle these days. The managed databases offered on cloud hosts like AWS/Azure are good too, if a little feature anemic.
>>
>>61142621

Learning language syntax is the easiest part of computer programming.

I got my last job working in Java, despite never having written a line of Java in my life. I read through a introductory book a week before starting, and was able to hit the ground running.
>>
why is my roomate obsessed with Love2d.

ive never heard anyone fucking ever talk about it

hes trying to be an accomplished programmer, going to computer science and all that

but all he wastes time on is some obscure shitty indie programming language that NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT

i know NOTHING about programming so....

is my roommate full retard or what?
>>
>>61142621
As many relevant languages as you can. Visual Basic is irrelevant. Objective-C is only relevant if you are making Apple apps.

Ignore all these fags
>>
>>61175910
nvm i guess im the retard

Love2d is a framework and the programming language is Lua

Anyway, the question is:

Is my roomate a retard for spending so much time with Lua & Love2d, rather than some popular language?
>>
>>61142621
Learn a good object oriented "job" language like Java/C#, you'll probably end up writing most of your money making code in this, so choose wisely.
Learn SQL, most devs skip this because it's alien to them and the syntax sucks, but absolutely do it.
Learn any functional language just to get a different view of how you can structure code, this will increase the quality of your code everywhere.
Learn any assembly language on a tiny embedded platform, enough at least to complete a small project involving non-trivial use of interrupts. You'll gain an appreciation for what a computer really is. You'll learn to make instructions count trying to fit a subroutine under a timer.
Learn a good scripted language like python for glue logic tasks.
Learn JavaScript because it's basically required to do web anything.

This list is in order of importance. If you skip too far down, you'll end up poisoning your technique and style with bad habits from fast and loose languages.
>>
>>61175910
>is my roommate full retard or what?
you're a full retard because you don't even know that love2d is not a language and yet you write like you knew shit
>>
>>61175939
>>61175933
lol i literally said in the post i dont know anything about programming and i even posted again to correct myself but your comprehension skills suck so hard you missed it both times

gg
>>
C, C++, Python and Javascript. Some SQL. And some others of your choice. In my case, Common Lisp and Scheme.
>>
>>61175999
66% of the people here are self-proclaimed neckbeards who wrote like two binaries in C and think they fucking know everything.

I bet 50% of those people are retarded too.
>>
>>61175999
>>61176055
This even about which languages are best, it's all about foaming at the mouth because some random fags on the internet disagree with the languages they prefer using.
>>
>>61142688
Scheme and C
>>
>>61175934
>choose wisely.
How to choose?
I don't want to work on microsoft shit so no C#. But how does one choose between Java and C++, which I assume are the two most marketable languages on the market?
>>
>>61175934
This is a good post
>>
>>61176219
>How to choose?
C# is a much prettier language than java.

Microsoft is really good at things that aren't operating systems. .NET is solid, their cloud services are solid, and visual studio is the best IDE.

I would choose C# every day of the week and I started with Java.
>>
>>61142645
Which one?
>>
>>61176241
LSLEY HAS SPOKEN!

faggot.
>>
>>61175999
gg
>>
>>61142621
asm, C, coq, haskell
In order of competence.
>>
>>61142621
Lisp, C{++}, Java, Perl/Python/Ruby, Bash
>>
>>61176219
I'm the person you replied to. Personal C# fills my wageslave role, and after working with it for a few years it's my favorite language for backends. It's completely cross platform now and the compiler is open source. Microsoft has done a good job of cultivating the language and community. If your only holdback from going this route is >Microsoft, then you should know Oracle is just as shitty a company.

I try to stay away from Java. It's got a bit more market share than C#, but the jobs you get working in it are just awful, and the language itself is a mess. It's lagging behind .net in so many areas, and the community is pure poo outside loo.

C++ sure is a language, but I wouldn't say working with it is very rewarding. You're better off having it available to you for when no managed language can get the performance you need (rare), and then using it sparingly. It's just too easy to fuck yourself one way or another due to the ease of triggering undefined behavior.
>>
>>61175934
What about financial stuff? Algorithmic trading and all that?
>>
>>61177121
Scala, C++, Haskell
>>
>>61177121
Use whatever you're comfortable with. If speed is a priority then don't use a scripting language. Maybe base your selection on library availability for the things you're interfacing with.
Make sure you're doing money math right.
Really finance/trading isn't different from any other programming. It's just a niche business knowledge field.
>>
>>61171669
lmao
>>
Literally only c# and something for databases
prove me wrong
>fast like c++
>oop like java
>can make websites with asp.net without even knowing html, css, js, php
>>
PHP, JavaScript and css
>>
>>61169341
>VHDL
>Verilog

Not programming languages.
>>
how do I build a turing machine
>>
>>61171625
holy fuck i member that
>>
>>61142688

what's the difference?
>>
C
Python
JavaScript

Fuck off.
>>
>>61179070

There is no such thing as lisp, only specific implementations of lisp. Scheme is one such.
>>
>>61174162
>Objective C
>2017

Sure, know this on a superficial level, but for modern iOS dev you should focus on Swift
>>
>>61176328
All of them
>>
>>61178698
Basically this if you just want to get a job and dgaf about working the art. You'll need to learn other paradigms to get gud though.
>>
>>61179096

Common Lisp is the ANSI industry standard

>>61179244

web dev will get gutted by cloud services and I will laugh while I make bank at my embedded systems and hardware design job
>>
>>61179258
Except webdev is top meme, and isn't 30% of the dev market. Most jobs are still writing lob crud screens with crazyass business logic, and C# + SQL anything is unbeatable for this.
>>
I want to be a programmer because I'm autistic but I hate computers and technology. Where should I start?
>>
>>61179354
Write code on a piece of paper. Compile it with a shredder, then apply rope to neck.
>>
>>61142621
C, C++, Python, and R
>>
>>61179482
What shredder would you recommend?
>>
File: Screenshot_33.jpg (66KB, 1272x249px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_33.jpg
66KB, 1272x249px
>>61179505

Personally I would go with uncle Phil
>>
>>61142621
Racket
>>
File: VS.png (90KB, 1366x728px) Image search: [Google]
VS.png
90KB, 1366x728px
>>61176263
>visual studio is the best IDE
Fuck off Pajeet
>>
>>61151995
>lua
was my first language and ive written more in it than anything else in my professional career, but dear god no, you definitely don't need to know it to be competent.
that would exclude like 40% minimum of the linux kernel developers, which i generally consider to be somewhat competent.
>c++
whatever
>ada
"how to spot people who haven't written any pascal-like languages for dummies"

toooooooo be honest the only reasonable answer is c, and not even because it's good in any way.
if you want my opinions then forth and avr assembly, because opinions from anonymous shitposters have no value.

>>61142698
>PYTHON
>JAVA
>JAVASCRIPT
if anyone told me they knew those as an example of languages that one should know to be competent i would immediately assume they are incompetent.
>>
>>61142621
>competent programmer
Not Python that's for sure
>>
Python
A form of Lisp (CL, Scheme, Clojure, pick one)
At least one C-like language (C, C++, D) and an understanding of ALL their strengths and weaknesses
A GC language (Java, C#)
A functional language (F#, Clojure, Haskell, etc)
A new language with one or more gimmicks (Rust, etc) and an understanding of the reasons each of these languages exists
And JavaScript just to know how shit it is and why industry dependence on it is a horrible idea
>>
>>61180651
This entire post is a meme
>>
>>61180592
Most competent programmers use python for scripting
>>
File: Ruff_'n'_Tumble_(Amiga)_28.gif (1MB, 319x217px) Image search: [Google]
Ruff_'n'_Tumble_(Amiga)_28.gif
1MB, 319x217px
>>61142867
These people are idiots and they don't even know what they're saying.
>>
I've been getting into ocaml. Did I fell for the functional meme?
>>
He should know the principles of programming.

The rest is a matter of syntax.

A competent programmer should be able to manage in any language with some syntax help.
Thread posts: 252
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.