[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a linux-based NAS that several users connect to. Some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: ds.jpg (12KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ds.jpg
12KB, 200x200px
I have a linux-based NAS that several users connect to. Some have Macs, and they leave those shitty resource forks and .DS_Store files all over the place.

Is there a way I can prevent these files from being created, server-side? I am aware of the client-side "defaults write" method, but I don't have access to these people's macs to just do that.

The closest thing I can come up with is writing a script that execute every five minutes to scan the entire thing for .DS_Store files and delete them; but that does not take care of the resource forks, and I can't just delete any old file beginning with a dot.
>>
Solution: Ban Mac users.
>>
File: tech_opinion.png (144KB, 502x794px) Image search: [Google]
tech_opinion.png
144KB, 502x794px
>>61139529
oh ok thanks
>>
>>61139507
those files are totally harmless, why don't you just get your shit together and stop letting them trigger your autism?
>>
>>61139599
Not really. Every once in a while, I'll try to delete a folder, but I'll be unable to because something is holding on to one of the resource forks.
>>
>>61139507
Hmm. Can't you just "ban" the name .DS_Store?
>>
>>61139507
Man, and you thought Thumbs.db was annoying.
>>
>>61139677
Well, I can, but that doesn't take care of the resource fork names, which could be anything
>>
Does TempleOS create any of these kinds of metadata/resource files?
>>
>>61139507
Just run this on the macs
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
>>
>>61139846
This might be the simplest solution, OP only said several user connect so it wouldn't be hard to ask them to run a command or two
>>
File: please_come_back.jpg (44KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
please_come_back.jpg
44KB, 500x400px
>>61139846
>I taught you to read the OP better than that, son. I am disappointed in you.
>>
>>61139884
>I dont want to fix things the proper way
>Lets just use all the available IOPS to constantly scan for .DS_Store files
stay retarded op. just revoke their permissions till you can run it on their computers.
>>
>>61139507
why are mac users allowed writte in the first place? their itunes will eventually delete all your mp3 because someone decided to run sync their music with some iSpotifi with some options selected for "store only on cloud", while conencted to your NAS.

is there a way you allow them to ADD only whitelisted filetypes? and i do hope they can only create new files, and not modify existing ones

>>61139765
>resource fork names, which could be anything
i just read about them, they're just a bunch of .originalfilename (without the original extentions ?) for every file above a certain number of clusters the user uploades?

how about you take common extensions that dont have any accompannying .filename files and run a script that finds all
xxx.(ext1|ext2...) then deletes .xxx in the same folder if under 2kb

btw, dont these resource fuckups have a header?
you could just fin all .dot that are not .knownExt and then inspect the header

>>61139846
i guess the worst is the thousands of
filenamexyz.mp3 3mb
.filenamexyz 1kb
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.