[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think about Plan 9?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: download (4).jpg (4KB, 216x234px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
4KB, 216x234px
What does /g/ think about Plan 9?
>>
>>61136952
inferno is better
>>
Retarded hipster bullshit for turbo pre-suicidal spergs who thought even bsd was too mainstream
>>
>>61137295
/thread
>>
>>61137295
> bsd was too mainstream
Anon. Stop judging everything from the point of your BasementOS. BSD still has its place in servers and is developing, although not as fast as Linux. Take for example CBSD: jails, Xen and ZFS support + web interface. That software is similar to Proxmox, all-in-one hypervisor distro.
>>
Last night when I got bored of shitposting I started browsing wiki.installgentoo. One link led to another and I was on a website hosted on neocities, made by someone from /g/ or /tech/. There I saw a video that showed how win10 sends your screenshots to microsoft servers. That actually spooked me since I have a lot of things on my PC that I want (((no one))) else to see unless I show it to them myself on my PC. I am literally too scared to turn on my PC now. What should I do now?
>>
God tier os but Unix was "good enough ©" . Some concept are ported in Linux (procfs) but there are other very cool things such as private namespaces and the everything is a file (interface). Overall it seems a someway better os than everything mainstream but it lacks modern application and it is obviously not suitable for daily use.

I ran 9front for six months on t42 and I had so much fun.

Take a look at http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf whis is an introduction to os course at some Spanish University using Plan 9.

Of you wish to try Plan 9, 9front is the most active and modern fork.
>>
>>61137446
Just don't connect to the Internet from that PC
>>
>>61136987
How so? They are the same thing.

>>61137295
It's Unix 2 basically
>>
it's the best OS

>>61137295
you mean it was written by the original unix authors
>>
>>61139030
Who don't use it full time anymore
>>
reminder that rob pike uses a mac. reminder that mac is better (more unixy, even) than linux.
>>
>>61137436
Bsd has no distri you tin foil fool
>>
>>61139181
I started keeping a list of these annoyances but it got too long and depressing so I just learned to live with them again. We really are using a 1970s era operating system well past its sell-by date. We get a lot done, and we have fun, but let's face it, the fundamental design of Unix is older than many of the readers of Slashdot, while lots of different, great ideas about computing and networks have been developed in the last 30 years. Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy.
>>
i wrote the Plan 9 page for the /g/ wiki. it's a very cool os, which i would still probably be fucking around with had i not sold my x60. if you want to run plan 9 on your machine, take my advice and install 9front, it has a working browser, irc client and greater hardware support in addition to nice features like audio and new applications.`
>>
>>61136952
I have it installed bare metal on an old workstation. It is prett neat but I don't really have much use for it. One thing to make sure to do is turn on DMA or else everything will be extremely slow
>>
File: projectile vomit.gif (420KB, 499x350px) Image search: [Google]
projectile vomit.gif
420KB, 499x350px
>>61136952
Garbage. The only mildly interesting fork is 9Front. I haven't tried it but it looks like /pol/ forked Plan9.
>>
Better operating systems but it doesn't have the nuts and bolts. Unfortunately to survive you've got to have gnu ported to you and have drivers to boot.
>>
>>61136952
The world isn't ready for it
>>
>>61141549
>/pol/ forked Plan9
Lol
>>
>>61141629
Yep. It's packed with all sorts of historical documents and political bullshit. Basically /pol/ if it was an operating system.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/9front
http://9front.org
>>
>>61141688
>contains the communist manifesto
>>>/trash/
>>
File: 2017-06-29-202159_976x668_scrot.png (80KB, 976x668px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-29-202159_976x668_scrot.png
80KB, 976x668px
The people are 9front sound like fun though
>>
>>61141688
>>61141838
I didn't fucking believe you so I went and browsed their website and they seem like my kind of people. Definitely going to use this.
>>
I wonder how much of that applications-exposing-their-internals-to-the-filesystem goodness comes at a cost which any developer would be willing to sustain.

Still, the base system doing it surely is a nice thing to have.
>>
>>61142735
The majority of applications would be written as system services. It's a completely different model for software development.
>>
>>61137665
>http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
neat, thanks anon
>>
>>61141756

For ironic purposes, check the CoC
http://9front.org/coc
>>
File: 1497844321623.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497844321623.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
The issue with plan9 is not that it is less superior. Plan9 is clearly more superior in it's kernel design and distribution design.

The clear issue is that even if unix is a worse system, the mass population has become more accustomed to linux and more software has been written on linux than any other os. Thus it is the game of the chicken and the egg where in order to have a good set of utilities you need a good operating system and in order to have a good operating system you need a good set of utilities.

In a world where success means being like linux nobody can be successful.
>>
Coraid uses it as EthOS, seems pretty nice...
>>
how can I connect to 9front with drawterm when 9front is in vm with nat network card?
>>
>>61145092

I used the bridge adapter instead of nat if that works for you.
>>
File: gomblexity.png (106KB, 853x621px) Image search: [Google]
gomblexity.png
106KB, 853x621px
>>61136952
Only tried 9front once on LiveCD. I don't see how I can be more productive on such systems. However, their API is a thousand times more concise than the clusterfuck that is POSIX. We are being held back by POSIX-compatibles and that makes systems programming a huge PITA.
>>
I wish Plan9 and OpenBSD had a baby... and it magically had a hardware support.
>>
>>61141838
>>61141852

http://9front.org/4chan.html
http://9front.org/n/dump/
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.