[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2-in-1 laptops worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

I'm currently shopping around for a new laptop. I've got my eye on a couple of 13/14 inchers due to daily transportation etc. It seems like everywhere I look I'm being told to invest in a hybrid, either as a detachable or bendable ultrabook.
Until now I've suffered with my lenovo flex 2 (loud fan, shitty processor, random shut-downs etc) and I've not been impressed with the touch screen feature.
It could just be that I've not made the most of it and the overall shittiness of the laptop marred my experience of the 2-in-1, so someone PLEASE EDUCATE ME; does anyone actually ever use the hybrid feature and is it worth it?
Ps I already have an iPad and barely use it lol
>>
Only get a fully detachable like the surface book.

Detaching is great for reading long articles, pdfs, manuals, and magazines.
>>
No, they're shit. Just get a normal laptop
>>
>>61127985
Also great for watching something while eating at the kitchen table or cooking, no keyboard in the way
>>
Those things trigger me like no other

Its a friggin tablet with a keyboard

OOOOoooooOOOOOoooo
Soccer moms think theyre so fuckin cool with those
>>
>>61127985
are the cheaper sub $250 ones worth it just for Office and watching videos?
>>
Disregard whether it's convertible or not, go by the standard specs (screen, cpu/gpu, ram, storage) and choose the best for your price and needs. If this happens to be a convertible, take that.

I chose a laptop for my cousin 3 years or so ago, and the best at her price level happened to be a Lenovo yoga, she's happy with it but I dont know how often she uses it in tent mode or whatever.

Nowadays I'd probably choose a Dell XPS13.
>>
>>61128063
No. Just get a shitty laptop and keep using your iPad if that's all you have to spend.
>>
>>61128127
I already have a Laptop but not a Tablet.

A Laptop with a shitty TN panel is just too uncomfortable to watch things on it
>>
>>61127863
People who buy a 2-in-1 never ever use it as a tablet.

Even the touch screen only gets used on day one a couple times as a gimmick, then never again.
>>
>>61127985
>Detaching is great for reading long articles, pdfs, manuals, and magazines.

No it isn't.
Because then you have to either hold it, or lay it flat on the table and crouch over it.

With the keyboard attached it will stand upright by itself so you can read in comfort - brilliant.
>>
>>61128172
I used my Surface a fuck load to write notes, I also used it to read comics and textbooks as well as watch things with the keyboard detached

Just because it's useless to you doesn't mean it's useless. Stick with your chinkpad
>>
>>61128234
who wants to read long manuals/books/newspapers/mags at their desk?

anyway OP said he wants to be able to read during his morning transport... assuming this is a bus/subway, having a device that stands upright on its own is pointless.
>>
>>61128234
You know a lot of devices with detachable keyboards have kick stands, right?
>>
File: 73770534.jpg (97KB, 507x338px) Image search: [Google]
73770534.jpg
97KB, 507x338px
>>61128322
>laptop
>lap top

Yes, how will you ever use it on the subway......?

I use public transport all the time.
I can't even remember the last time I've seen someone use a tablet on a train, bus, tram, subway or even the ferry.
People use laptops or phones.
>>
>>61128397
>reading a PDF on that
>>
>>61128350
Yes, some even have a keyboard and a track-point/-pad on their stand, it's absolutely brilliant.
>>
>>61128426
Autism
>>
>>61128069
That's the exact one I'm looking at right now. Supposedly the best for science degrees, who the fuck knows why tho
>>
>>61128424
OK, amuse me: what's bad about reading a PDF from a laptop vs. a tablet?

Tablet: always tiny glossy piece of shit low res, low nits screen.
Muh Thinkpad: 14" QHD 400 nits anti glare.

It you're saying e-reader you have a point.
But OP wasn't asking for an e-reader.
>>
>>61128172
OP here, this is what I was thinking
>>
>>61128397
I won't use it during transit, but since I travel by public transport I don't really want to be hauling anything more than a 14 incher to and from uni, work, etc
>>
>>61128476
>low res
>low nits
Stop using chink tablets, a Surface has one of the nicest screens I've ever used, way better than my W500

And a laptop is just bigger and heavier, unless you're talking about Macbook Airs with shitty 1366x768 screens. Not to mention the tablet form factor is just easier to use when reading something like a textbook

Also
>image rich content on an ereader
>>
Worth it for what? Do you want multi-touch pinch to zoom on screen? Do you need active stylus input for forms? How much dick are you sucking as you read this? How often are you reading documentation on a second screen? Do you want your screen A4 size or at least aspect ratio? Because it will fuck up wide screen movies and content. If you want wide screen format you will look like a retard holding a long screen as a tablet. Why are you this fucking paralyzed by a form factor? Are you this much of a consumerist whore? Do you need a detachable keyboard or a fold back keyboard when you don't want one or both like the surface? How often do you need a tablet versus a laptop? If you answered these questions you will have answered your own question and realized how much of a faggot you are for wasting finite front page shit posting space.
>>
>>61128590
>we're running out of posts
>>
>>61128590
Do you want a glass of water with all that salt?
>>
>>61128548
>the tablet form factor is just easier to use when reading

It just isn't.

I never understood where this meme came from.
>>
>>61128662
People who have used tablets for reading PDFs and comics for dozens of not hundreds of hours?
>>
>>61128469
Some of my univ colleagues have it. Tiny with a 13" screen, thin, light, good screen, still decent cpu and battery.

It has no weak points, that's what makes it good. Probably can't go wrong with that one.
>>
>>61128662
4:3 aspect ratio is MUCH better for holding and reading because it fits most printing formats, and it's not a long rectangle. While giving you more screen space.

Widescreen format is only good for watching movies and playing games. It's a long ass rectangle that looks and feels awkward as fuck to hold.
>>
>>61128671
Because they fell for the meme, not because there is even a single benefit.

Go ahead, name me ONE real benefit a tablet actually has for reading texts.

Benefits laptops have:
- bigger screen so you can keep your distance which is less tiring to your eyes.
- no touch screen means you can have much better anti glare.
- better ways to scroll the text (track point, even just the space bar).
- can be used hands free.
>>
>>61128760
See
>>61128722

>better ways to scroll
kys
>>
>>61128722
Why would you want to show an entire page and read top to bottom?

You just scroll as you read.
Which is also much easier to keep track where in the text you are.

A scroll is also easier to read than a codex.
It's just terribly uneconomical (can only print on one side) and harder to skip ahead - problems digital devices don't have.
>>
>>61128824
Are you autistic? Do you actually have problems reading

>my Walmart laptop is perfect! Stop liking things I don't like!
>>
>>61128789
>hurrr let's use my fatty fingers to swipe over the very surface I'm trying to read.

How is that not the worst method of scrolling ever?

No wonder you guys insist on keeping scrolling to a minimum...
>>
>>61128856
>swiping over the text you're reading
Are you retarded?
>>
>>61128847
Funny how people always resort to insults when they ran out of arguments.
>>
>>61128824
>easier to read
subtle way to justify (((their))) spacing
>>
>>61128824

Yeah, no one needs to view a full page. We just need narrow rectangles of viewing area like looking through a periscope. It's not like we can fucking highlight text, or place a bookmark on the exact line of the exact word we just read.

What is this forward thinking tablet ergonomics bullshit?
>>
>>61128867
see>>61128873

OK, I'm off, no point arguing with utter idiots who can't even come up with a single point to back up their argument.

Bye nerds.
>>
>>61128873
Okay fine let's try this

>claims its easier to read a text book on a laptop
>can't even zoom and pan with ease
>needs a keyboard and trackpad as an even more cumbersome method to do the same thing while wasting space
>probably has never actually used a tablet for reading
>>
I have a zenbook flip, using the tablet function in the evening to read ebooks or papers in bed. Since I do that a lot, I'm glad I chose a 2 in 1 ultrabook and since I also need it for presentations/work, I didn't buy a tablet. Other than that, I can't see much use for it actually.

Also I actually prefer the to use the touchscreen compared to the fucking touchpad. God I hate touchpads.
>>
>>61128760
>can be used hands free.
no
>>
>>61128914
Don't come back
>>
>>61128931
Thanks! Right now I'm looking at one of the newer zenbooks, although I might go for one without a touch screen
>>
I spent more time writing scripts to enable/disable my desired tablet mode than I do using it in tablet mode.

Only bought a 2-in-1 because my iPad was gone but just ended up buying another 2 months after I got the laptop because if I want to use a tablet I want a tablet form factor, not a chunky laptop bent arse over tit
>>
>>61129154
>take off keyboard, tablet mode turns on
>put on keyboard, tablet mode turns off
What's the problem?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.