[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In my years and years of using computers, I have YET figured

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: 1473970941231.png (618KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1473970941231.png
618KB, 1024x576px
In my years and years of using computers, I have YET figured out how to make a damn good high quality recording.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to record a video that is native 640 x 480. I want it to be as crisp as it can be. I want it to be scalable to modern resolutions, despite it being 4:3. I want it to be capable of being seen at 16:9, like on youtube. If I have to, I will just keep all the empty space outside it black so I can retain maximum quality and viewing space without making it too large.

The thing Im recording is about that size, but when I use something like dxtory, it just scales the image up to the size I want when I clip the areas. The video comes out worse for it, too. When I use anything else, like OBS, the quality also sucks despite me turning the settings to as high as possible. Why in 2017 there is still not a single solution for doing a raw recording of something? Or can someone at least tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>>
720p
>>
>>61127809
So the minimum resolution has to be 720p?
>>
3gp
>>
video encoding is a balancing act, you need to know how it all works to get the best out of it

if you're not doing real time streaming, you'll want to simply record at the source resolution, without subsampling if applicable, using a fast codec at high bitrate/low crf, then work on a final encode after the fact, cutting, scaling, and letterboxing as needed

there's no one ideal "push-button" method to good video, which is why you've had so much trouble with it
>>
>>61128104
Yeah sounds about right. I've recorded stuff in the past, but this time I was in need of something crisp and it's only now where I was fumbling around with settings and researching for days.
>>
>>61128215
i'm guessing this is an old or pixelart video game
these can be tricky, as they do not respond well to being scaled with typical scalers, anything besides a multiple of the source will look much different than the source

the solution depends on preference and use-case
for example, you could opt to take a blurry output and scale with a linear filter or similar, or you could use a nearest-multiple scaler to preserve sharpness, or if it's just for archival, you could opt to not scale at all, and just store the original resolution as-is (you should do this as well, so you have a clean source with which to make changes if need be later on, some scaling can't be reversed cleanly)
>>
File: a.png (552KB, 2335x480px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
552KB, 2335x480px
>>61128331
>>61128215
quick comparison of common methods
a. source resolution snes game screenshot
b. scaled to 640x480 using nearest-neighbour interpolation, which is neither a multiple of the source, nor the same aspect ratio, which causes terribly artifacts, even worse in motion, as the resulting pixels aren't consistent sizes
c. lanczos interpolation to 640x480, common for normal video sources, works fine here, but is quite blurry
d. nearest-neighbour, but preserving ratio and using a whole-multiple scaling factor, sharpest result, but may not fill the target resolution
>>
>>61128331
you got it right. an old pixel art game. From your posts, it looks like it's no simple matter. One solution I heard is just to keep it at its normal format, maybe scale it once by 200% to fit better with 16:9 resolutions, then pillar box it.
>>
File: a.png (548KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
548KB, 1280x720px
>>61129970
yea, if you want something that is as sharp as the source, then you want just a basic, whole-multiple (200%, 300%, etc), nearest-neighbour upscale, then pad out the rest with blackness up to the target resolution

there also other things you can do to the picture, like adding a scanline effect or even a CRT-like filter
>>
>>61130197
ah yeah, that filter would look nice for the authentic feel Im going for.
>>
File: a.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>61130262
fyi, that screenshot is from retroarch, a multi-system emulator with support for shaders like ones that simulate a CRT look
also, these effects might not come free, scanlines adds additional high frequency content to the picture, making it difficult to encode, meaning a higher bitrate is needed to avoid artifacts
generally, the softer/blurrier the image, the better compression you'll get, which is of course the opposite of what you want out of games like these. it's all about balance
>>
File: a.png (24KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
24KB, 1280x720px
>>61130434
-- and just a 300% nearest upscale
probably the best option if not doing anything fancy, and want to preserve the sharpness of the original image
>>
>>61130582
for video, if I want to do a nearest neighbor upscale, what would I use? I heard of virtualdub
>>
File: a.png (45KB, 1280x992px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
45KB, 1280x992px
>>61130603
ffmpeg can do it

for example, to get the top in pictured to become the bottom pictured, you can use this (works with pictures as well as videos);
ffmpeg -i orig.png -vf "scale=iw*3:-1:flags=neighbor,pad=1280:720:256:24" scale.png
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.