[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Britain's Newest Warship Runs Windows XP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: warship xp.png (349KB, 663x469px) Image search: [Google]
warship xp.png
349KB, 663x469px
Just upgraded my warship to Windows XP
What do you think, /g/?

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/06/27/2017204/britains-newest-warship-runs-windows-xp-raising-cyber-attack-fears
>>
>>61118659
Inb4 Petya
>>
>>61118659
Fake news.

>the Royal Navy has been in touch to say: "For clarification, the MOD line from 2015 stated 'The MoD can confirm that Windows XP will not be used by any onboard system when the ship becomes operational'; we are following a programme towards delivering a carrier Strike capability – ie, operational - for the UK from 2020."
>>
>>61118659
Could be worse. They could use Linux.
>>
File: 1498522485654.jpg (103KB, 647x591px) Image search: [Google]
1498522485654.jpg
103KB, 647x591px
>>61118659
Decrypt this right fucking now!
>>
When goims will finally understand that GNU/Linux is just better?
Kubuntu.org
>>
>>61119233
Every warship is vulnerable to cyber-attack.
Every system is vulnerable to cyber-attack.
>>
>>61119233
BIN THAT COMPUTER
>>
>xp is bad
love this meme
>>
>>61119843
Not if it isn't connected to a communication source, like the Internet.
>>
using the latest shit is only relevant in systems connected to the internet where you want constant vulnerability patches (like what those UK hospitals that got ransomed didnt get).
for closed systems you really dont give a fuck, especially since the PCs on a warship dont do anything mission critical , they're probably there to send internal mails and keep inventory and shit like that .
when i was in the army we only upgraded the PCs connected to the army-wide network that would need various new programs over the years, the specialized comps not connected to anything else outside\inside the base didnt get upgraded ever because you needed months of bureaucracy to connect them to any external data.
>>
>>61119981
Cyber-attacks can be carried out by attaching a system to a communication source. It would require someone on the inside to open the connection but it's still a possible vector.
>>
>>61119962

Xp is deprecated
>>
meanwhile four years ago in america https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/the-navys-newest-warship-is-powered-by-linux/

will euroshits ever recover?
>>
>>61120574
>UK
>EU
Pick one
>>
>>61121364

you do realize 'europe' is a thing right
>>
>>61121371
you do realize 'brexit' is a thing right
>>
>>61121423

yes of course because brexit is totally about the uk exiting the entire continent of europe
>>
>>61121435
>implying it's not
>>
>>61121364
Embarrassing failure.
>>
>>61121364
/pol/ in a nutshell
>>
>>61120138
>anydoor can be broken into
>except the door needs to be opened from the inside
Useless post senpai.
>>
>>61121423
Holy shit I didn't know we were going to literally leave Europe. How are we gonna do it?
I have an idea, we need to build a shit load of huge rocket engines on the eastern coast. If we build enough of them the entire island will disconnect and float away into the sea. This has the added benefit of vaporizing any danish fishing boats that happen to be in the area at the time. I think this will be a great boon to our economy and create many jobs.
>>
>>61122374
Literally stuxnet.
>>
>>61119981
How will you get information about enemy whereabouts without opening up communications?
A warship without communications is dead in the water.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.