[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to cut a lossy audio file without re-encoding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Is there a way to cut a lossy audio file without re-encoding it?
I have a bunch of 128kbps podcasts where the producer shills for various shitty services and live shows. I don't want to listen to the shilling, I just want to listen to the podcast.
>>
Open it in notepad and delete the bytes that you don't want
>>
>>61113268
how do you not know about Audacity by now?
I literally learned about my first hour of browsing /g/ many moons ago
>>
>>61114816
*about it
>>
>>61114816
>Audacity
since when does it cut
>without re-encoding
?

does ffmpeg with the -acopy (audio codec copy) not just cut without reencoding?
ive used ffmpeg to but some vids, which it does very fast, and doesnt affect quality on a simple ocular comparisson.. and being very fast suggests that no reencoding occured, of video stream at least, audio coding is so fast that i cant be really sure.

but im sure there are other specific cli tools for this

or just try running the same file cutting one sec in loop several times to see if a certain tool is indeed nor re encoding, after about a 1000 steps a differentce should be obvious
>>
>>61113268
 pacman -Si mp3splt

Repository : extra
Name : mp3splt
Version : 2.6.2-1
Description : Commandline tool for splitting mp3 and ogg files without decoding
Architecture : x86_64
URL : http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net
Licenses : GPL
Groups : None
Provides : None
Depends On : libmp3splt
Optional Deps : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Download Size : 39,30 KiB
Installed Size : 100,00 KiB
Packager : Tobias Powalowski <[email protected]>
Build Date : 26.11.2014 (cp) 15:23:52 EET
Validated By : MD5 Sum SHA-256 Sum Signature

Do note that you cannot control the precise time at which the split is made. It gets stuck to keyframes or something.

Alternatively you can use ffmpeg, specify your start and end times and use -c:a copy. You get the exact same effect.
>>
Yes. Use ffmpeg. (and the -acopy option)
>>
Audacity is pretty hard to use for cutting mp3s and using the command line I for cyber geeks with spreadsheets

I use mp3DirectCut, it's free and open sauce, and as it's just dedicated to cutting unwanted parts from MP3 files without all the other features of audacity it is much simpler to use for this task

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
>>
>>61113268
ffmpeg can do that.
set the -c to copy.
Handbrake for GUI, as long as you set the encode to copy it will not do an re-encode.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.