[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows users - Why have you not switched to Linux yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 18

File: Windows_10_(version_1703).png (172KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Windows_10_(version_1703).png
172KB, 1000x562px
Windows users - Why have you not switched to Linux yet?
>>
Because I use my computer for working, not installing the newest edgy window manager
>>
>>61109835
Start10 allows me to make start menu look like Win7
>>
Because I use my computer for shootan gaymes, not installing the newest edgy window manager.
>>
>>61109835
>hundreds of different and incompatible distributions
>no support for out of tree binary device drivers, unless you compile it for your specific distro kernel
>no standard desktop environment
>lack of industry-standard software
>toxic community
>>
>>61109835
I just use my computer for work and some games, it's not part of my lifestyle or personality. I have shit to do besides fuck around with dependencies my whole life.
>>
>>61109938
yeah, the community is enough to instantly drive a normal person away from using Linux. nobody wants to be talked down to by a fat autism sufferer or be told to read some ancient obsolete wiki that doesn't even answer their question.
autism killed Linux before it ever started.
>>
>>61109835
Because I stopped using the command line for pointless shit in the early 90s when dos finally fucked off.

I'm not going back. Fuck Linux.
>>
>>61109996
I still use the CLI to run a script or something once in a while, other than that it's useless.
>>
>>61109835
I'm a dumb pajeet
>>
File: 1428365228904.jpg (22KB, 252x249px) Image search: [Google]
1428365228904.jpg
22KB, 252x249px
>>61109899
>>61109933

Doubles never lie!
>>
>>61109835
It doesn't work as i want it to
>>
>>61110028
Stop posting Christopher Bane you dumbass
>>
Tried it, pathetic for desktop use.
Tried mac, much better for desktop use and I would be using it right now had apple opened up hardware wise (which in turn brings in the games) but alas.
>>
>>61110066
C H E C K E D
>>
>>61109835
I have Linux Mint on my shitty notebook because my parents use it so it's easier not to catch shit virus and it runs better than Windows, but I still use Spydows on my PC because gayming.
>>
Why haven't Windows fags not become rich enough to buy a Mac?
>>
Because I play vidya instead of playing with some commands
>>
>>61109835
Because...

WINDOWS 7
>>
I use Visual Studio (C#) for work.

I play games.

I use office, and no, that piece of shit libreoffice doesn't even come close to this.
>>
>>61109835
Ditched Windows years ago, never going back especially with shit like Win10
>>
There's no Paint 3D to make three dimensional Polandballs.
>>
>>61109835
I have the shitty Bash on Ubuntu on Windows that works pretty well but if that's not enough I just run Linux in a vm. Also have a couple bideogames on Windows
>>
>>61109835
I have no reason to
>>
>>61110226
You could go mac imho.
Still would have C# visual studio and office + many other better alternatives and most important real terminal.
>>
video games and it just works
>>
File: video-games-in-a-nutshell1.jpg (428KB, 1847x1002px) Image search: [Google]
video-games-in-a-nutshell1.jpg
428KB, 1847x1002px
>>61109835
Video games.
>>
>>61111025
>I play games.
>>
because dumbass Linux won't scroll a webpage on touchscreen. instead it just fucking points
>>
>>61109835
VSTs
>>
>>61109835
1. Windows is comfy, I mean it does all the things i need, so why switch?
2. What distro should I install? There are so many of them
3. Muh games
>>
>>61109835
Because I'm autistic, those colorful tiles are the only thing that can get me an erection.
>>
>>61109835
Dual boot master race. Win10 and Arch (honestly all linux is the same but I fell for the meme), it used to be Win10 and Debian Testing. The only thing that keeps me from going to Linux full time is games. My productivity stuff is all PDF, docx and pptx. Nothing any office suite can't do. Windows is better if something needs to be done fast. There isn't (to my knowledge) a way to have drivers install when a device is plugged in for the first time. I like how "free" as in freedom linux is but its only "free" as in gratis if your time is worthless.
>>
>>61109835
because i already dual boot linux and win10. windoze for games and linux for work
>>
Can someone recommend a Linux distro that is:

>easy to install / configure
>looks good out of the box (I don't like customization)
>isn't arch/gentoo

?
>>
>>61109835
L T S B
T
S
B
>>
Video Games
>>
>>61111882
elementary os
>>
Games, but I mostly just play TF2 or OpenRCT in my down time so I rarely need to boot into Windows
>>
>>61109835
I need Windows for school cause I'm an IT student and there's a lot of Windows-specific stuff. I'd dual boot but I couldn't get it to work with my BIOS. Linux always refuses to boot, tried turning off secure boot and turning off UEFI and still nothing. So for now I'm stuck with Windows.
>>
>>61109835
I use Linux everyday at work and it makes me miserable. Command line is a massive time sink for basic tasks.
>>
>>61112516
lol, do you even grep?
>>
The only reason to run linux is to cling to old hardware. I use Bunsen Labs on my lattitude d430 but that's it, I haven't found a strong enough reason to completely switch away from windows
>>
I don't plan on switching until I understand where and why directories and files are placed where they are and how the fucking repo system works. I'm sick of looking up how it works only to be met with "do this command" when I'm trying to understand what it's doing in the first place.

Bash is cool, though. It is a selling point to me.
>>
>>61112598
thats like refusing to speak a language until you know x thing, you learn x by using the language.
if you don't use a shit distro, the wiki will usually tell you.
else google, else stackexhange
>>
>>61112598
How it's supposed to work
/home - user directories
/usr - user-installed programs and config
/bin - system programs
/etc - Editable text configuration
/boot - the bootloader

Nothing else you really need to know

As for repos, it depends on the distro, but basically there's a program that manages "packages" of programs and their dependencies. There's a centralized repository containing these packages. When you install a package, the package manager gets the info about the package and the required files from the repo and places them where they're supposed to go. Some distros let you add third party repos, and other things, but you shouldn't really need to know that stuff for a working system.
>>
>>61112528
Yeah exactly
>>
>>61111474
Try grabbing the actual scroll bar dumby, it's not a phone. Arch on my touchscreen laptop here, just werks.
>>
>>61109917
So does classic shell
>>
File: Screenshot (10).png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (10).png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>61109835

not the os, but the programs my dude.
>>
>>61109938
>I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'll just shitpost and shill
>>
wincucks are all babies that will break down crying when they can't figure out how to configure the most basic settings on linux

They don't want to realize microsoft was hand holding them this entire time.
>>
>>61113783
In order to configure even basic things, you need tutorials or guides because you can't expect a begginer linux user to know stuff beforehand.

Thats the problem with linux, there is no problem with having to configure stuff trough the terminal to do advanced stuff, thats great.
But soon enough you'll find something that is not working properly and what you do? You have to search for how to solve problems on the internet. And you waste time.
The nice DEs, file managers and everything that makes linux more friendly won't prevent that from happening.

I wish Linux to succeed but there are a lot of things to improve.
>>
>>61114024
>the reason Linux isn't user friendly is because people don't use it prior to using it
>the reason people don't use it is because they don't use it
You could say that when trying any OS for the first time, including Mac and Windows. I doubt you knew how to do everything needed done in windows when you were younger.
Of course you'll need tutorials on things if you've never done them before. This doesn't mean Linux isn't user friendly.
>>
- no games
- I am not a hacker and can't fix shit with applying patches or some other dumb crap when something breaks
- driver problems everywhere
>>
I need to use: Arc gis and corel draw for work. So i have no choice.
>>
>>61109835
Because Desktop Linux is a trash fire.
>>
Because I'm not a server.
>>
I use Linux on my laptop, windows was too slow on it and I like to take my laptop into the bathroom with me while I poop so I'll have something to do.

Linux is pointless for desktops but it makes a good poopy time OS
>>
>>61111474
Works on Chrome/Chromium. Did you really check just FF and come to that conclusion?
>>
File: 1330295819091.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1330295819091.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
video games and complacency

im not proud
>>
>>61111025
>when one of your main features is doing a dual boot with your main competition's OS
What a shitty OS, if you ask me... Even Linux can do way better than that
>>
>>61112493
>can't use a VM
Are you poor or just plain retard for an IT student?
>>
>>61109835
games, best I could do to avoid dual booting is setup a VM with GPU passthrough.
Best fence sitting solution so far if you have the hardware and patience for it.
But it creates additional headaches in the long run when it comes time to upgrade your system.
>>
I have a job and other responsibilities.
>>
>>61112866
looks nice
>>
>>61109835
I need software and drivers.
>>
File: doubles.jpg (103KB, 532x542px) Image search: [Google]
doubles.jpg
103KB, 532x542px
>>61110066

Nice digits, and...

>>61110144
>>61110200
>>61110533
>>61112711
>>61112866
>>61114155

CHECK
>>
>>61109835
>press middle mouse button in any browser
>doesn't scroll
I can't be the only one who doesn't like to use the mouse wheel for large pages
>>
>>61113014
>i have no counterargument so i'm just going to call him a shill
>>
Network and graphics drivers don't work as well. Not as user friendly.
>>
File: linux.png (10KB, 392x639px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
10KB, 392x639px
>>61109835
Because I have Linux in Windows.

>inb4 another bash is not linux argument
Windows has had Linux syscalls implemented for a while now, it runs almost everything you throw at it.
>>
File: 67b.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
67b.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>>61111474
>>using a touchscreen for a desktop/laptop
>>
>>61111882
gentoo
>>
Cause I need to use Adobe's apps and I dont have money to buy a Mac.
>>
>>61114914
You're not alone anon
>>
File: Pika Pi.png (453KB, 3200x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Pika Pi.png
453KB, 3200x2560px
>>61115096
But who was onenote and sketchbook pro??
>>
Because I actually want to do some work, be productive, play video games besides tux racer, not constantly obsess with the command line, something that actually is compatible with what most others use, etc.

Name one reason why I should switch besides "Non-Free" or "Anti-Privacy"
>>
File: 1486521502921.jpg (75KB, 400x443px) Image search: [Google]
1486521502921.jpg
75KB, 400x443px
>>61109835
I used to have Windows 7 on my desktop about a year ago, and it was the last Windows installation in my house. I got an unwanted Winshit 10 downgrade overnight and that was the last time I used a Micropoo product. I've been using GNU/Linux (mostly Debian) for about 8 years, so pulling my rare pepes and formatting the hard drive was a pretty easy decision to make. I have tried all sorts of Windows 10 versions in VMs and it's truly an abhorrent user experience. I'm perfectly content with XFCE as a desktop environment.

I also have an iMac and a MacBook Pro so I use OS X a lot. It's also good, but I'm probably going to hackintosh in the future because Apple hardware is shit. Not as shit as ASUS, but still pretty fucking shit.
>>
>>61112085
Still as telemetry
>>
File: 123.png (78KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
78KB, 1920x1080px
>>61109835
It takes less work to remove metro-shit from your menu than to make linux work as good as windows.

Linux is decent if you do not work on your computer or if you do run server.

If you need just text editor for your shit-code go ahead,use android phone,windows phone anything can run and compile code now.

It is just that windows support is MUCH better I do not have to code my own driver for each hardware that I buy...

also muh games lulzik :^) carat nose.
>>
>>61111882
Solus
Zorrin

Any Debian garbage
>>
>>61109835
Coz games and shieeet
>>
Because i use my computer to run games that don't get crippled by opengl when ported to linux.

Because I use my computer for things other than act as a web server or browser
>>
>>61112866
if this copland os is a linux distribution and doesn't have any complex fuckin installation and is out of the box like this. I'm in for linux.
>>
>>61109835
I don't want to relearn how to do things in a terminal, that I know how to do in with a gui.
>>
>>61115531
this
>>
File: stallman.jpg (16KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
16KB, 500x335px
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
I want to try PCLinuxOS or Mint. I want it to function similar to Windows (not looks, functions, as if I can go on Steam and download a game and it works fine) until I can get good at other OS' in the Linux family.
>>
>>61116145
/thread for 99% of users
>>
>>61109835
Finally making the switch tonight, just got a server with Windows 2016 (courtesy of the college I work at), installed RemoteApps for the Windows apps I'll still need to use but can't run through Wine.
>>
>>61109992

what you dont realize is that this autism exists in the windows community too but on windows people realized that they dont make money if they behave like total autistic little cuntwagons.
that was never possible for lin00x idiots so they reveled in their little power fantasies instead of actually improving the product to make it usable
>>
Honestly speaking, I made the move from Linux to windows, and it was awesome, I had to revert to windows when I realized that I had to do actual work and not just muck around in the terminal with neofetch. Linux needs full on program compatibility for anyone to pay attention to it as an operating system alternative let alone a competitor with windows.
>>
complete casual fag here. _EVERY_ fucking interaction ive had with linux is a COMPLETE and UNEQUIVOCAL pain in the motherfucking ass. I would rather get an unlubed colonoscopy than to try to figure out how to get the wifi to work by googling for 10 hours before I realize linux 'just doesnt get along' with the drivers for my wireless adaptor.
>>
Because I use my computer for working, not installing the newest edgy window manager
>>
>>61111825
?
Most of the time the device is already supported by drivers that ship with the distro. That's generally not the case in Windows, and I swear I have never successfully had Windows automatically and successfully find the driver when I plug in a device for the first time.
>>
>>61116058
its windows 10 mate, i just know a trick to out Copland OS on the taskbar.
>>
>>61114914
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan
>>
>>61109835
Because Linux has shit for software support.
>>
>>61109835
Drivers, Having to go through the trouble of finding alternatives to my Windows Software and the trouble of re-configuring everything for no reason at all and sincerely everything can be summed up as: "I just don't have a single reason to switch to Linux".
>>
>>61109958
>Implying installation is harder on Linux
>Obviously hasn't used Linux
KEK
>>
Escape from Tarkov is exclusive to the Windows platform
>>
Windows 7 still just werks.
>>
>>61112866
Wait, how did you riced foobar like that?
>>
>>61109899
I too use my computer for working, which is why I can't waste my time starring at the screen while Windows installs updates.
>>
>>61112598
>understand where and why directories and files are placed where they are and how the fucking repo system works
you know what's the best way to learn those things?
fucking switching to linux
>>
>>61109835
>Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition.
>Video Games
>Media Player Classic Home Cinema
>Gamepad Support
>Microsoft Office Excel
>Video Recording Editing Software
>Audio Recording Editing Software

Windows is the platform that I can just assume whatever I want to use works on it. I've used linux for a few years on my Thinkpad and for specific tasks its a pain in the ass trying to get stuff to work. I still don't know how to get Flash on my linux beyond whatever version they stopped supporting linux. I'm not super great at using linux but it doesn't support everything and my computer isn't great enough to run non supported applications through Wine. Whenever I build a new PC I'd like to dual boot Windows and Linux.

I don't like the idea that with Windows my system is literally always compromised to the government and to Microsoft. I can never truly know that my freedom is secure.
>>
File: 1496789287957.png (2MB, 1214x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1496789287957.png
2MB, 1214x1109px
>>61111882
>>looks good out of the box (I don't like customization)
>>
1) Muh games.
2) My network is all windows shit.

I'm thinking of just getting a SFF PC for muh games and using Linux on everything.
>>
>>61111882
Mint is the easiest.
>>
>>61109835
because i need matlab, autocad and other shit like this
>>
>>61111882
Use Antergos Linux. It's Arch but for noobs that can't do Arch installation. I'd recommend Debian 9 but it's shit.
>>
>>61109835
I play games, use windows only programs and don't want to switch to an OS that has less standardized and available programs that can work without costing an arm and a leg to sort out incompatible drivers.
>>
>>61112706
What's /opt for though?
>>
>>61109835
>Vidya (I only play a single game, but regularly)
>Visual Studio (C#)
>Photoshop
>Office

I use loonix on my laptop though since its a shitposting machine only, but I miss VS on it already.
>>
Because i want to actually be able to use my computer and all of its hardware.
>>
>>61109917
>buying a start menu
>>
>>61111882
Try Manjaro but the others that were recommened to you are good as well.
Most Linux distros offer a "live" version which lets you try it out without installing it.
That way you can decide for yourself; that's what Linux is all about: FREEDOM
>>
>>61123861
>not using cracked software and letting the stupid goys fund it
>>
>>61112085
>hfw the telemetry is baked into the os
>>
>>61114324
Looking at GPU passthrough myself.
What are the cons?
>>
File: ilovelinux.png (507KB, 1288x764px) Image search: [Google]
ilovelinux.png
507KB, 1288x764px
>>61109835
But I am OP
>>
>>61111882
Ubuntu Mate is easy as fuck and looks pretty good. Or go with any of the Mint Distros.
>>
>>61109899
>>61109933
>>61109958
>>61109992
>>61110068
>>61114155

Edgy windows managers? Dependency problems? Jesus fucking Christ, was your first distro Arch or gentoo because some other distros are not that difficult to use. I'll admit there are graphics driver issues with some cards and you might need 2-3 specific programs for work, but the rest is pure shill and you fucking know it. Too many people are too lazy to learn how to use technology these days. If it aint spoon fed to them, they won't touch it.
>>
>>61109835
LTSB
T
S
B
>>
>>61111093
>muh games
Grow the fuck up, child.
>>
>>61115268
They're shit.
>>
>>61125091
>want a newer version of a program
>package manager only offers a buggy 1-year old version
>download tarball of latest version
>check readme and install dependencies
>run autoconf
>it fails
>read the whole output
>realize the newer version needs newer libraries than the provided by the system
>end not installng software because dependency problems
>boot to windows/osx
>install from developer's site
>it just werks
>>
>>61122633
When you grow up, you'll feel the same way.
>>
>>61109835
Why would I?
I satisfied with what I currently have.

My servers are on Linux though
>>
>>61126001

yep, fucking hilarious honestly. Even shitty mingw garbage builds work better than linux
>>
>>61109835
because i built the computer for videogames
>>
>>61126001
if there isn't a .deb or .rpm for your programm or a recent version in repo it's either you have a shit tier distro either the devs of this programm are shit
>>
>>61114914
>Not using middle click to paste selection
Windows users really are pajeet-tier brainlets
>>
because windows is superior in nearly every way? Why is this even a thread.
>>
>>61126302
false
>>
>>61109835
I need to use professional programs that some neckbeard incarnate OS wouldn't be able to run.
>>
I need my Pajeet Studio because I'm a botNet dev.
>>
>>61122481
Why do you not install Enterprise N? You haven't used the real Windows.
>>
>>61126302
/thread
>>
Because I switched to Mac OS

X220 OS X master race reporting in
>>
>>61109835
Linux users define themselves by their OS and Windows users want a result. I'm glad I grew up with Microsoft.
>>
>>61109835

Windows
>Turn on computer
>Log in
>Do things

Linux
>Turn on computer
>Use my phone to troubleshoot because the OS won't start because of some error
>Have to go find someone else's machine to compile the fix for my machine
>OS starts
>Have to code and compile my own shit every single fucking time I want to do anything at all

No thanks.
>>
>>61109835
I have a real job that requires real software, not enthusiast projects made by half a dozen Argentinians that takes 10 hours to set up.
>>
>>61109835
not a big fan of having to type reams of arcane gibberish into a console in order to change a setting which would be handled by a fucking radio button on a real OS sorry
>>
There's really no reason to run Linux.
I did for 6 years and it got old
>>
>>61127070

Nearly right. The correct version is

Windows
>Turn on computer
>Log in
>Get ransomware'd

Linux
>Turn on computer
>Log in
>Do things
>>
>>61125091
Technology is all about convenience you fucking curry nigger. Telling people to take STEPS BACK just to accomplish the fucking basic of installing a graphic driver is fucked up.
Go shill your abysmal desktop OS elsewhere cunt.
>>
>>61109835
Gaems
Visual Studio
MS Office
Comfortable interface
Works on my laptop out of the box
>>
>>61109835
It's hard to use, the gui isn't as polished and many core apps won't run. I'm also tired of having to look everything up and read to use it.
otherwise, it's really awesome.
>>
>>61127070
The informed opinions of someone who has used linux I hear?
Fuck off pajeet
>>
>>61115084
I see that includes all maleware
>>
>>61128009
Only retards get randsomware
>>
File: 100721-dead-penguin-3a.grid-6x2.jpg (16KB, 474x313px) Image search: [Google]
100721-dead-penguin-3a.grid-6x2.jpg
16KB, 474x313px
>>61109835
Because DirectX is far more superior than OpenGL
>>
File: 20cLUBw.gif (4MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
20cLUBw.gif
4MB, 360x270px
i use some microchip flashing software, iso bin cue ccd cdi etc converting tools, webm creation software, powershell scripts, vb scripts, music creation and converting software, vr headset, bluray playback software, etc and even if there were equivalents on linux it would be too much work to convert. And, in the end, what will i have accomplished? Did you say abso-fucking-lutely nothing?
>>
>>61114155
this is really all that had to be said
>>
>>61128009
>do things
ricing and posting screenfetch on /g/ doesn't constitute "doing things", anon
>>
>>61126225
>.deb or .rpm
There shouldn't be a .deb or .rpm, just a universal .exe equivalent that you can open and get a universal linux installer.
If you want you can still use the package manager or the terminal.
>>
>>61129673
Balkanisation is a point of much debate in the linux community. There's at least three independent versions of every part of a linux system. While some say that all these parallel projects are a waste of manpower (do we really need another twm?), others say the choice and freedom are the entire point of linux and if you wanted one polished choice you could use OSX.

I don't know what the correct answer here is but I know its not fucking CNET Downloader Yahoo Toolbar untrusted exe's from google.
>>
>>61124537
requires vt-d/AMD-V capable hardware and Motherboard's IOMMU groups of whatever you want to pass through to be separated.
costs more since you need 2 GPUs, an integrated GPU can save cost unless you have older dedicated GPU lying around.
Just make sure the device IDs (HDMI and core GPU IDs) do not match otherwise you cannot keep one for Host OS.

Easiest way to guarantee it is to ensure the GPU is from two different vendors like intel iGPU and Nvidia for instance.
Having two different version GPUs from same vendor is a gamble. An older GPU might work, for instance I just found out my 980 and 1080Ti have different device IDs (that includes HDMI audio as well) so I can do a passthrough setup with those two nvidia cards.
If I had two 1080Tis however passing one through would pass both through since device IDs are identical. You want one GPU for host OS generally, hopefully someone fixes this problem.

Oh and by the way passing both cards for SLI/crossfire is useless currently as it doesn't work, no multGPU support as of yet to my knowlege.
It might be possible to do with a single GPU from the tty virtual terminal with any Xservers processes killed, but you won't be able to see graphical output from host OS when VM is on until you shut it down and pass the GPU bnack to host.
>>
>>61124537
>>61130337
have a look at this guide if you haven't, the arch wiki one is a little dense I find this one to be easier to follow.
You could read up on the arch one later if you want to dig deeper.
Btw you won't need arch for it, any other distro should work I set it up myself on both Xubuntu and arch so it doesn't really matter what distro you choose.
Ubuntu should be easiest to setup following that guide, with arch if you are already using that there are only two steps that are different.
>>
>>61130430
forgot the guide link
>https://www.evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/
>>
Because linux shills are obnoxious
>>
>>61122443
its from debiantart look for "foobar themes" and follow instructions senpai, its ez
>>
>>61109835
Gaymes and Adobe programs for work

that's about it
>>
File: 1395011540399.png (708KB, 800x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395011540399.png
708KB, 800x720px
>>61109835
>Oh gee, I can't wait to play Tux racer!
Said no one, ever.

Linux would actually stand a chance on the desktop if it had a respectable gaming API. Instead, developers are still having bitter spats over window managers and other shit that has been irrelevant since the 90's.
>>
>>61114260
Whats the point of loonix if you're going to run a botnet browser?

Why is firefox so shit?
>>
>>61126093
I grew up but still like spending maybe 10-20 minutes configuring a new desktop (as opposed to ricing for hours like I did in high school). Does it get worse?
>>
ive said it before and ill say it again
if you are seen with linux, people will think youre retarted. you just cant pass for normal.
>>
>>61123080
It's usually describes as for optional add-on software packages source, or anything that isn't part of the base system. Only some distributions use it, others simply use /usr/local
>>
>>61109835
I'm still waiting for win10 to actually piss me off and convince me to go through migrating. Haven't had that many problems so far.
>>
don't switch to linux you fuckers
stay over there
>>
>>61109835
>Try to install linux these days
> Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 basic shit
> Install it
> It just never connects to the internet in order to download anything whether it be software manager or terminal
> Only firefox works and it lags like hell
> Long as fuck boot times
> Could barely manage to create another USB image with Ubuntu Unity 16
> The installer first deletes my previous installation then gives me some garbage ass UEFI error and won't go any further
> It deleted my previous version and did not install the new one
> Same shit with connecting to the internet for anything else other than the browser
> Get Solus Budgie
> Manage to install it
> Have Dell P2717 Monitor on Display Port
> Get error when trying to boot about display timings
> Switch to VGA running on integrated graphics
> I manage to finally boot
> Still does not fully communicate with the servers to download and install updates

>Reinstall Windows 10

This was my experience with Linux. I may not be a tech savant but i am not retarded either, yet this was my experience with the clunky mess that is linux. I'd rather have a NSA agent sleep in the same bed with me and run windows than go through that shit again.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.