[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here can help me fix my notebook? You guys are really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: xmg-01c83555a052e69d.jpg (151KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
xmg-01c83555a052e69d.jpg
151KB, 1000x664px
Anyone here can help me fix my notebook?
You guys are really my last chance.
I googled the shit out of this but won't find any solution.

I bought a used notebook for 100$ The pre owner said he flashed a premod bios on the mother board. Since then the GPU (Optimus GTX 860M) can't be used anymore.

So i flashed back to the original bios and then the ec bios. Everything went well but still no GTX860m. So i started Win7 and downloaded NVFLASH.

First NVflash gave me a strange error that it no longer supports WoW64. Went ahead and downloaded a random modded nvflash.

I could use the --list cmd but it won't show any gpu adapter. So i just thought fuck this and tried a blind flash first with -6 then -4 -5 -6.

Nothing happend still no adapter.

That is what i tried.

Next thing would be the display plugging in the ac or changing the angle of the screen will make it flicker or turn black but still with backlight on.

I wanted to fix this after i get rid of the GPU but i read somewhere that the gpu is connected to the screen.

So could the screen fuck up the GPU?

Currently the notebook is running on the intel gpu it's fine but i want to know what i can do with the extra gpu.

Anyone got some advice ? Or at least a community which can help?

Next step is running a win7 update. if this won't work and i really don't want to do this install win8.1
>>
>>61107094
did you ever try actually going into the bios and enabling the GPU?
I mean if you flashed the original bios on there it should work fine if nothing is damaged...
>>
>>61107280
yes i checked the bios and can understand why the pre owner flashed a modded bios. you can literally just set sata/raid, security and uefi mode.

well that was it no options for switching the gpu like on a desktop. i'm itching to uninstall the intelhd in the win device manager but too afraid to fuck it up completly.

also got just a little bit more insight on the optmius decrete gpu. seems like this only kicks in if i run a 3d application. i tried that immediately but nothing happend
>>
>>61107094
I bet $10 that they removed the GPU and said it just doesn't work.
>>
>>61107370
what about device manager, anything show up in there?
>>
>>61107414
My thoughts as well. OP, open it up and make sure there's actually a GPU.
>>
>>61107414
I checked that it is inside
>>61107435
Device manager shows nothing even showed hidden device

Thanks to whoever banned my isp i'm sorry i had to ask here...
>>
File: 20170627_184549.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_184549.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
The inside
>>
Install gentoo
>>
MXM card? How's the vBios of the 860m?
>>
>>61107658
what is mxm?
i can't check the bios cause i can't find the gpu

maybe it is really missing i will check how it looks now. shouldn't it labeled as nvidia visable?
>>
>>61107695

Clevos usually have separate vBios for graphics cards, especially mxm (separate add in cards).
I'm on mobile data atm, can't open the photo now to check it.
>>
>>61107762

And it wasn't a typo, I really meant vBios
>>
this is the gpu right ?
sorry cell is low on battery so no flash
>>
>>61107776
ok definitely didn't do this yet because i don't know how.

can i use gpu-z for this ?
>>
>>61107782

No, it's the one on the left, with the heatpipes stacked on top of each other.
Also if op's pic is your laptop, that seems to be a Clevo W230SS. Search around if there's even a custom bios or vbios for it.
>>
>>61107886
ok should i unscrew it and check if it is still there ?
the notebook was listed as xmg p304 and i know they are also selling as clevo.

thanks that opened some new options. but if this error occured using a modded bios will this really fix the problem?

maybe i rushed when flashing back to the xmg bios
>>
>>61107963
or maybe preowner forgot to flash a ec bios which i think is needed for connected devices.

but shouldn't flashing the xmg bios and after this the xmg ec bios fix this problem?

so confusing
>>
switched to a ssd right now installing win8.1. but i think this won't change anything

i assume gentoo can be runned on a usb? will try this next
>>
>>61107963

Look closely, it's soldered to the motherboard, the gpu went nowhere.
Try flashing the standard Clevo bios and ec (the correct Clevo model should be under the laptop, but I believe it's the W230SS I said) or flash one of the custom bios by Prema, I think he made one for this laptop.
Also pay attention to the order you flash the bios and ec. Don't remember the correct sequence (been a while since I last had a Clevo), but I remember it's one to upgrade the bios/ec, and the inverse to downgrade.
>>
>>61108060

Just to make sure, Device Manager only lists 1 device under video cards, right?
>>
>>61107990

I think I'm seeing a problem. Now I remember in my old P150EM, to upgrade the bios I had to FLASH THE EC FIRST, and only then the bios itself.
To downgrade it was the opposite: first downgrade the bios, and then the ec.

Search a bit to make sure this is still the order, but I think Clevo hasn't changed it.
>>
>>61108081
aye and no warnings or something in the other sections
>>61108060
i did this with the bios from the xmg website. i flashed exactly like the readme told me in order normal bios then start windows and then the ec bios.

was the mistake maybe starting windows in the process ? but nothing was missing when win was up just the gpu
>>
>>61108160
i will definitely try this with the clevo bios. i just have to confirm it is the same model as mine.

so i recovered from a premod bios like this

flash bios
restart and boot in win7
flash ec
boot win7

my thought would be now i download an even older bios from clevo/xmg and flash back using the same method and then flash a upgrade but first the ec and then the bios
>>
>>61108246

That is an idea, yes. Since the bios works now with this ec, an older one still works.
Btw, don't flash with nvflash, I think Clevo has its own bios utility for this.
>>
Oh, and since you mentioned nvflash, I assume you already saw this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1602226/w230ss-laptop-gpu-rendered-useless-by-a-driver-update-help-needed-fixed
>>
>>61108317
the flash file was from the clevo/xmg. i only used nvflash inside win7 to check or blind flash the gpu. but it failed.

>>61108340
have not seen this yet. the fact that xmg and clevo is the same brand gives me a universe of another options. really thank you if you mentioned it first

but guys something happened after win8.1 install. new devices appeared in device manager. i'll change the language and post a screen in a few moments
>>
>>61108472
>xmg and clevo is the same brand

Not quite. Clevo is the manufacturer. Companies like Schenker/XMG, One, Sager, Eurocom, and many others, are resellers, ie. take the Clevo barebone, put in the rest of the parts themselves (biggest advantage of Clevos, highly upgradeable) such as ram, hard drive, etc., and sell it. Anyway, they should all use the same bios'es between resellers (only changing stuff like the POST image), if necessary
>>
File: device mng.jpg (292KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
device mng.jpg
292KB, 1920x1080px
can't wait for installing english kek

so i will start installing the drivers now.

it says

pci-device
unknown device
sm-bus-Controller

i'll start with chipset Driver

only Intel gpu is active
>>
>>61108587

IIRC even without drivers you should see 2 devices under video cards. In any case doesn't hurt to try first. Install the Intel vga drivers, restart, and then the Nvidia ones.
>>
>>61108753
ok i did that chipset/intelgpu/nvidia fail

the 3 devices were something else i think touchpad and card reader

damn
>>
>>61108796

Must be bios then, I see nothing else.
If that also fails, then the card is dead most likely.
>>
When you buy something used, you are just inheriting their problems. Let this be a lesson learned for you.
>>
File: portable.jpg (108KB, 1030x526px) Image search: [Google]
portable.jpg
108KB, 1030x526px
>>61108849
ok i will try this but i think tomorow first the up and downgrade then i will read through the clevo stuff and try their bios if this also fails and the nb is not bricked to that point i will look for premod bios.

i think with this i tried almost everything and if it is dead it is no problem. with the ssd it got a lot faster i had to try 4 times to enter bios smashing f2.

>>61109193
i have but it was also fun trying to fix it

well i guess we are through almost every option. i will definitly look deeper into the clevo stuff

maybe i'll set up the notebook like in the pic.

>>61107224
>>61107280
>>61107414
>>61107435
>>61107532
>>61107616
>>61107658
>>61107762
>>61107776
>>61107886
>>61108060
>>61108081
>>61108160
>>61108317
>>61108340
>>61108533
>>61108753
>>61108849
>>61109193
thank you for your help it was fun
>>
>>61109412

Well that's the most (You's) I've got in a single post up to this point. Hope it fixes it.
>>
>>61109412
do you mean prema bios?
i have a clevo and can verify that's the modded bios i use.
>>
>>61110247
where can i get the prema bios that would save some time tommorow. in which order did you flash ?
>>
>>61110439

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/

Apparently he made the page visible to registered users only. Not sure if it's still active.

Btw one thing I forgot, don't forget to restart between either ec or bios flashes. So for instance if you were to fully update, you'd go

>update EC
>restart
>update bios

This assuming stock bios of course. Not sure if the method is the same with the Prema one.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.