[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need new text editor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: nano.png (114KB, 630x401px) Image search: [Google]
nano.png
114KB, 630x401px
I am transitioning from Codeblocks to text-based IDEs. My first step was nano. I'm now ok with using it, although I was a bit enraged they couldn't shut their fucking egos up their ass and save the stupid file when I hit Ctrl+S, instead of pissing me off with "XOFF ignored, mumble mumble". Anyway, at least it doesn't use idiotic VIM key bindings.

I'm still slower using Ctrl+K, Ctrl+U, PgUp, PgDown than I was using cursor and Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, but maybe that I will overcome with practice (right?).

But I'm missing lots of key features I had with codeblocks:

> brace/paren/bracket/quote completion
> code completion (codeblocks crashes with this, so it's kind-of not a feature in codeblocks, but I still want it)
> run make when I hit f9 or something, and I'm developing graphical apps, so it has to run them just fine
> indent/deindent blocks with working redo/undo
> automatic trailing space removal, automatic newline at end of file
> integrated debugger breakpoints inside IDE
> multiple files open at once
> ...probably more I can't remember right now.

I would also need a plugin that would make it easy to use (no vim navigation, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+D for line duplication, Esc to exit and so on).

So is it Vim or Emacs? How do I set it up?
>>
File: BaitHello.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
BaitHello.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>61107011
>to text-based IDEs. My first step was nano.
>>
i dont know
>>
>>61107011
You realize that emacs/vim/nano keybindings predate C-x/c/v?
>>
>>61107087
Yes, I know it's not an IDE. It's a terminal-based text editor which served as a step towards real terminal-based IDEs. Are you silent because there are no terminal-based IDEs that implement code completion?
>>
>>61107258
I realize that and I equally well don't give a fuck. Software has to adjust to my needs, (and knowing linux for 2 years, I will settle with a config file), not the other way around.

X-term implements Ctrl+C using Ctrl+Shift+C and that's good enough for me. Ctrl+K and Ctrl+U is hard to reach.
>>
>>61107011
I got used to nano's keybindings quickly because they're not at all like selecting text from a gui.
I use Ctrl+K and Ctrl+U to cut lines into the cutbuffer and paste them back much faster than if I was manually selecting and then copy pasting.
also don't forget to Ctrl+O Enter to save
>>
>>61107011
Emacs is the only editor that you will be able to completely customize to your liking. Vim will always be Vim, and any attempts to make it otherwise will lead to heartbreak and possible personal injury.
>>
>>61107287
>I use Ctrl+K and Ctrl+U to cut lines into the cutbuffer and paste them back much faster than if I was manually selecting and then copy pasting.
You have to use two (2) hands to press Ctrl+K and Ctrl+U and Ctrl+O, while you need one (1) for Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+D (dup a line).
>>
>>61107329
Thanks for the first useful reply. One thing worries me though - I heard emacs is HUGE, having hundreds of prebinded hotkeys and people joking about emacs/linux like they do with systemd/linux.

Is there any preferred way to get started or should I just jump into it and figure out stuff along the way? This approach worked alright for nano, but I'm not sure if it will suffice for emacs. Any books, guides, configuration tutorials?
>>
>>61107336
There's no single keybind in modern software to cut an entire line.

Unless you wanna do shift+end Ctrl-x, be my guest
>>
>>61107392
Emacs can do a lot, and I really mean a lot. However, out of the box, it does what you want it to, no more.
I don't have a specific starting point, besides the Emacs Wiki. I will say avoid preset configuration packages like Spacemacs, because they tend to be bloated and slow as molasses. Use use-package to install and configure packages, and scale up your own configuration slowly. You can find a package for just about everything under the sun at http://melpa.org
You can't use Emacs without learning Emacs Lisp, and this is a bretty good short tutorial.
https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/elisp/
There's also the Emacs manual that I consult when I need to know what something does, and an O'Reilly Emacs book that I couldn't be bothered to read.
If you find yourself wrestling with something, google it. Someone has almost certainly had your problem before, and there probably exists a package that solves it.
What tasks are you thinking of using Emacs for?
>>
>>61107442
I agree. But there is Ctrl+D in codeblocks which duplicates a line. Pretty nice when you're working with OpenGL. I bet, as >>61107491 said, I can configure emacs to do both.

>>61107491
>What tasks are you thinking of using Emacs for?
As of right now I'm learning OpenGL and C. For now I'm working on a little platformer and random geometry wallpaper generator. I do plan to continue scaling up in this direction, writing larger projects as the times goes on and I feel confident enough (previous ambitions were too big and ended up in project graveyards, so I'm relearning my ways).
> Emacs can do a lot, and I really mean a lot. However, out of the box, it does what you want it to, no more.
This is very good. I've already run sudo apt-get install emacs, it's 112MB. Pretty scary, but I believe these are all optional lisps.
>You can't use Emacs without learning Emacs Lisp, and this is a bretty good short tutorial.
Good, this is going to be my first functional-paradigm programming language, I'm welcoming new experiences.

Thanks. I suppose this is the only Linux developing environment that can rival such beasts like MSVS and CLion? Not a hard choice when you only have one, lol. I liked codeblocks the most, but it was in C++ and crashed a lot.
>>
>>61107661
Emacs standard distribution comes with a lot of stuff, but none of it is loaded until it's called. That's why it has such relatively low RAM usage.

I actually think CLion is the best C IDE I've used, but I think Emacs (as I've configured it) blows it away.

Emacs C defaults are a bit stupid, and you'll probably miss some behavior, but in general, read the wiki and google. Jump to definition, syntax formatting, and syntax checking can all be achieved, with the right packages.
>>
OP why are you even doing this? If you want an IDE just use an IDE, what benefit are you going to get from making everything terminal-based?

If you do insist on switching to a terminal-based text editor, stop bitching that the keybinds aren't the same as the IDE you're pointlessly abandoning.
>>
I will never get the neckbeard programmer mentality of wanting to feel uber h4xor by programming with terribly inefficient tools. Noone cares about you or how big your e-peen is.
>>
File: repetative-strain-injury.jpg (41KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
repetative-strain-injury.jpg
41KB, 424x283px
>>61107661
Default key bindings in Emacs are truly retarded. Your pinky will hate you because of pushing CTRL all the time.
Learn basic tutorial, so you know what's where and then install ErgoEmacs:
https://ergoemacs.github.io/
It's a very reasonable keyboard layout
- - -
Xah Lee (creator of ErgoEmacs) has a good website for Emacs learning:
http://ergoemacs.org/
>>
File: ignucius.jpg (242KB, 1312x2000px) Image search: [Google]
ignucius.jpg
242KB, 1312x2000px
>>61107329
after watching saint ignucius sermon live in person, I can only use emacs. no regrets
>>
>>61107262
vim/emacs with your choice of completion plugin

pretty straightforward
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.