[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Java faggot (OP) wants to write real games in C++

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: gelu.jpg (43KB, 347x397px) Image search: [Google]
gelu.jpg
43KB, 347x397px
Subject tells it all. I am a professional enterprise developer (read - cubicle drone) and I want to make games. Maybe not for sale at first, but to unleash my own imagination. My soul yearns for it. What would be the best way to learn how? I know there is Unreal 4, I tried to tinker there a bit, the beast tries to be helpful but its huge, would take years to even start. Whats the best way to start fast in order to create say a game like Settlers? Studied some C++ in college.
>>
>>61100478
>unreal 4
Lol

Go unity, game maker, or create your own godamn engine.
>>
>>61100537
>create your own godamn engine.
Where to start desu?
>>
>>61100632
sprites moving over a tile-based plane in the language of your choice since you're not going to be performance-limited anyway.
3d isn't COMPLETELY beyond a one-man team, but it's a lot of work to the point where you're probably not going to have time to hold down a job + code it + make your own assets - so if you want to express your imagination and you want to do it in 3d, your dev experience is mainly going to help in making Unity or GM scripting more intuitive and the help docs more comprehensible.

If you absolutely want to make your own 3d engine, start by making a single-frame 3d renderer that parses a standard model format, then work on making it play canned animations, then work on physics for it, then work on scrpiting game logic within it.
>>
>>61100632
watch some of Bisqwits video on 3D engines
>>
so what's the best cross platform framework
>>
The fastest way would probably be using unity. A game isn't just code, you need graphical assets as well. I believe unity has a built-in system which includes a lot of free assets and a whole lot more buyable user-made assets. Since you're already used to java, moving to C# shouldn't be that much of a paradigm shift either.
>>
>>61100953
I guess I'll give 2D a try initially, see if Im capable of creating the logic underneath a strategy game as well. Then maybe will try a 3d one.
>>61100958
That guy is awesome, just so knowledgeable and explains stuff more or less in plain language

>>61100975
I feel I wouldnt have 100% control or knowledge if I used unity to do it. Although the feeling is probably irrational
>>
>>61101087

>I feel I wouldnt have 100% control or knowledge if I used unity to do it.

I don't know what kind of control you're looking for. Just consider that plenty of serious actual game and movie studios think that unity gives them enough.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.