[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Engineering Careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: lit.jpg (6KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
lit.jpg
6KB, 254x198px
Heyo I thought I would reach out to the 4chan community. I'm currently studying Computer Engineering at University. I've been so wrapped up in study that I haven't taken much time to reflect on what future career options may be out there. I was hoping anyone who works in the industry could give me advice on what I should look into, what companies maybe hiring or, any interesting resources I can use to stay in the loop. Anyway, I'm hoping to start an informal discussion about and advancements that are changing the field. At the moment, machine learning seems pretty hot, people can't seem to stop talking about it. But there has to be more than just VLSI and machine learning to computer engineering.
>>
Design verification, Physical design, logic design. Those are all quality fields in most if not all hardware companies.

Machine learning has some questionable applications. It will certainly be used,ut those making money or developing it will be PHD students and CEOs.

Try to find what you want to specialize in. Hardware isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I myself am in verif. Lots of things to learn, and it's very stable.
>>
>>61086493
Thanks! at the moment I'm involved with some research at my school. Next semester I'm taking a class in Image processing. It may be a little bit more EE, but I have a feeling I may be looking at a career in either medical or military areas. i guess I'm looking at things in very broad strokes at the moment. How did you decide in what you wanted to specialize in?
>>
Computer engineer here. It's really important for you to get internships. That matters a lot more than your GPA if your plan is to get a Bachelor's then find a really good job. Don't feel you need to stick to one particular industry. I've designed everything from medical imaging equipment to karaoke machines and military equipment.

I also saw a lot of my classmates make the mistake of only applying for internships or jobs at the big companies that recruited on campus: IBM, Apple, Microsoft etc, then giving up when they got no offers. There's tens of thousands smaller lesser known companies too.
>>
>>61086548

I really enjoyed my CPU 4k level courses. Processor design is complex, and challenging.

I took image processing as well. Good course, and if you like it there will be a career for it. Imagine processing is the backbone for self driving cars.

If you're looking for military, you're going to want to get all the information you can get on FPGAs. So VLSI, Logic design, and or understanding UVM will be extremely useful in that area.
>>
Wouldn't computer engineers be the ones designing motherboards/CPUs/etc?

I know one person who has a computer engineering degree and he was recruited out of college with a $90k/year salary and a $10k hiring bonus. Computers are a big deal nowadays considering just about everyone carries one around with them.
>>
>>61086618
Not op but how did you find internships? I'm gonna be starting my higher level programming and ee courses next fall but many of my classmates seem to be getting internships now at my level and it just doesn't seem like they should. Am I just underestimating how many people would be willing to take me or should I still wait till fall before looking for something?
>>
>>61086336
I just finished my masters in CE and didn't plan ahead at all.
But I can work as long as I want for the university in their robotics research department.
There is a ton of jobs in the robotics field, which is basically the new meme in embedded systems.
Computer vision is and machine learning is also good options.
As for where to find the jobs, look for companies that have a RnD department.
It can be anywhere from people who make food packaging to consumer electronics.
>>
>>61086661
You get an internship by sending out a well written cover letter and resume to dozens of places. There's a microcontroller in almost everything now; so places you wouldn't immediately think of as wanting a computer engineer intern actually do. Companies that make coffee machines, DJ booths, vending machines, etc.

Any engineering job starts with a lot skill building. School is mostly about learning the fundamentals. You show your employer that you're clever and hard working enough to get good at your job fast; not that you already know everything.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.