[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

synology alternative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

so I'm usually a sysadmin by day, and like all sys admins I'm a lazy asshole and don't want to work while I'm off. That being said, about 7 years ago I plunked down some cash to get a 12-bay synology, and I have to say for a consumer product, it's been rock solid(24x7 uptime, no failed drives(3tb enterprise hitachi).
So now I'm in the market for a new nas, but I'm thinking about doing it myself this time. I was thinking doing linux+zfs by hand, or freenas, but I cannot find a good tower that can support 12x3.5 SATA drives.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a solid tower? Or, should I continue to be a lazy fuck and just get another synology(which might be cheaper)?
>>
Xpenology + hotswap case.

It's possible to be on the current release of synology software.
>>
>>61075827
whoa - DSM is open-source?!?

When you say hotswap tower, are you suggesting that I have the boards in a different case, and keep the drives isolated?
>>
>>61075827
What is a good hotswap case? I thought about sticking a sata drive rack in a consumer case, but the market has been filled with driveless memeshit.
>>
>>61075894
it's not open source, it's just been modified to work on most hardware configs.
The only 12 hdd consumer case i can think of would be the cosmos.

Have you considered getting a 4u chassis?
>>
>>61076096
or even a 2u with dual backplane
>>
>>61076096
thanks anon, unfortunately I'm not in a position to have a rack so the 4U option won't work. Thanks for mentioning coolermaster; the 'trooper' looks promising!

>>61075980
Supermicro has this nice 8 bay but see above - cursory glance reports the 'trooper' is 14 bay?

https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7046/SYS-7046A-T.cfm
>>
>>61076297
spoke too soon - trooper is not hot-swap; not necessarily a deal breaker, but disappointing.
>>
>>61076297
>>61076307
Thanks, anon. I feel silly now that I understand that I should be looking at workstation cases.
>>
Not OP but this interests me as well.

I'm in a similar situation and we have two synology boxes with atom c2000 inside waiting to fail on me.

Reading a little on freenas (zfs one?)

But can you transfer configuration files from synology to xpenology?
>>
>>61075772
You might want to consider getting a tower with 6/9/9+ 5.25" bays and some of the Supermicro 5-in-3 hotswap adapter bays.

Works pretty well for incremental addition of 4+1 RAID5/ZFS1 arrays, and a fair bit cheaper than just buying a rackmount high drive count chassis.
>>
>>61075772
Are there any NAS cases similar to op's picture?
Racks are too noisy for home use and towers don't usually hold 12 3.5" drives without being too large.
>>
>>61077490
Yes there are some that look similar like the UNAS NSC-800 case (pic related)

They are however hard to build in and have some ventilation problems.
>>
>>61077165
Yes they are literally the same BUT keep in mind xpenology is a bit behind in terms of updates and you need to watch out when updating xpenology as some major updates might break your system.
>>
File: S-919_10.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
S-919_10.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
>>61078110
If you really need 12bays you could buy one of these cases with all front 5.25" bays and put in one of these hotswap bays that consume 3 5.25" bays and allow you to put in 5 3.5" drives.
>>
Second post here:
RSV-L4412 case is 12 bay hot swap 4U. Not the best overall but acceptable for the price.
>>
>>61077490
So they're missing hot-swap and LEDs, but I'm liking these cases, so far:
http://www.streacom.com/products/f12c-chassis/
http://nanoxia-world.com/en/products/cases/
>>
>>61075772
I think when folks are looking at the same setup as yours; they find the solution in old, surplus and refurbished server equipment off Ebay.
>>
File: Capture.png (14KB, 329x216px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14KB, 329x216px
>>61075772
OP, keep being a lazy bastard. I know I am.
>>
>>61075772
You can fit 12 3.5 inch drives in a NZXT h440, excellent case, but if you really do put in all 12 it'll be dense in there.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.