[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Java or C#

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (21KB, 412x236px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
21KB, 412x236px
I know both enough to hack together small projects. I am an expert in c++ and assembly. I sense that my employer is weakening and Im going to jump ship an about a year.

Should I compliment my skills with mastery of Java or C#?
>>
>>61073979
Expert in c++? How do you implement metaprogramming recursion?

How do you force an object on or off the stack/heap?

How would you implement a base class that must deal with several networking protocols but expose the same interface to all clients. You may not derive from this class or use any type of inheretence.
>>
>>61073979
C# will be more familiar to you but that will probably just make you hate it more
Java is more employable too
>>
File: 1489535305631.jpg (191KB, 777x928px) Image search: [Google]
1489535305631.jpg
191KB, 777x928px
Some are going to say Python but the correct answer is C#
>>
>>61074114
are any of those supposed to be hard?
lmao this board is pathetic
>>
>>61074114
>How do you force an object on or off the stack/heap?
what do you mean by this? you mean preventing/forcing object creation through new?
>>
>>61073979
>I sense that my employer is weakening and Im going to jump ship an about a year.
>
>Should I compliment my skills with mastery of Java or C#?

Java if you want to a safe career in IT
>>
>>61073979
>Should I compliment my skills with mastery of Java or C#?
either
java and C# are pretty much the two primary languages these days
either one is fine
java is a pain in the ass though if you have certain performance targets
>>
Here's a decent thread we had a few days ago comparing the two: >>60971134
>>
>>61074114
I can tell by the way you asked those questions that your knowledge is shallow.

You lack the insight to know how trivial your questions are. You think your questions will be able to identify an "expert", but the questions you selected show that you're not at that level yourself.

I'm especially unimpressed by your requirement that "you may not derive from the class or use inheritance". That's a silly academic or recreational exercise that uses an artificial restriction that would never occur in actual professional programming practice. Someone with significant C++ experience would understand that's not a question that would yield any meaningful insight into an "expert" knowledge of C++.

Don't pretend to be an expert when you're not. It only leads to embarrassment.
>>
Java can actually be pretty neat if you make use of the amazing ecosystem (e.g. project lombok, Spring Boot)

I'm still jelly about some of those features C-sharpers have though
>>
>>61074410
at least you have other JVM langs
>>
>>61074379
bluff: the post
if you'd have actually said something related to the topic you might've fooled someone.
just a tidbit of information verifying your own claims
>>
>>61074379
>>61074608
You guys are too smart for me, can you tone down the IQ a bit thanks.
>>
Dude honestly I’m in the same boat as you. I would say that I’m an expert at c++ so it took me less then a week to learn Java and start doing development in it at my company. But if you can try and find anouther c++ job because programming in Java feels like I’m playing with toys.

I would recommend you learn both because the amount of time it takes to learn Java is pretty trivial. While I’ve never worked with c# I would assume given your expierience it would take very little time to learn.
>>
>>61074696
>Java feels like I’m playing with toys.
Aint that the truth
>>
>>61073979
Pick whichever one is more popular in your city.
>>
I just want skills that are in demand. Nobody likes c++ anymore in my area (reno, NV). Been on c then c++ sense I was 12 years old (now 29) and I need to update my skillset. I looked at the replies and it seems that an "employable" level of Java or c# is easy to get to so I plan to do both. Recently broken up so I have plenty of time.
>>
>>61074114
>How do you implement metaprogramming recursion?
You don't use a for loop just keep calling the same function
>How do you force an object on or off the stack/heap?
with malloc and destroy
How would you implement a base class that must deal with several networking protocols but expose the same interface to all clients. You may not derive from this class or use any type of inheretence.
Make one giant function in the class that handles all of the protocols and that all clients can call.

Easy shit.
>>
>>61074869
I sure hope this is trolling.
>>
>>61073979
If you know C++ why would you degrade yourself to writting CRUD webapps in Java or C#? You'll be competing with pajeets in a saturated market. Expect a substantially lower paycheck.

Knowing C++ you can apply to videogames and embedded systems jobs. That is not anybody can do, especially considering C++ is one of the most complex and extensive languages ever. Since you are already invested in C++, you should capitalize on that investment.
>>
>>61075135
I don't know about C# but Java certainly isn't saturated.
>>
>>61075135
>You'll be competing with pajeets in a saturated market. Expect a substantially lower paycheck.
This is terrible advice and terrible logic. Why should someone avoid picking up a new skill just because a lot of other people have that skill already?
>>
>>61075228
Because you cant really master more than one technology over the course of 5-8 years and trying to start anew in a different stack is a very bad career choice that will get you nowhere. Employers are demanding at least 2 years of real experience in X to hire.
>>
>>61075336
>Employers are demanding
Most are in no position to be demanding anything.
>>
>>61074696
>tfw IQ is too high to write non-C++ code
I can tell you write obscure, "high-IQ" code in C++ abusing templates and what-not and think you're smart. No, the best code is simple code and also the hardest to write so focus on that. I'm embarrassed to actually have someone like you in the same field as me. You're worse than a pajeet.
>>
>>61075135
You have no experience in the field. Video game dev pays lower than pajeets doing web dev
>>
C# if you have self respect.

Java if you want easier employment.
>>
File: geemu_dev.png (461KB, 561x590px) Image search: [Google]
geemu_dev.png
461KB, 561x590px
>>61075380
>>
>>61075336
Okay, I'll concede that might be a good point if you had to literally wipe the old knowledge from your mind every time you learned something new.
>>
>>61075450
In the job market its not what you learn or could potentially learn, but what you have worked in. Real demonstrable experience is what counts the most.
Once you start working in a stack and time goes on, it is increasingly difficult to change. Sure you can learn language X by yourself, but that won't land you a job on X.
An then you could try to get into a junior position in X and realize nobody is calling you because of ageism. At a certain age even getting called for internships is hard.
>>
>>61075424
yup it's true, maybe you should look these things up before dreaming about them in your little basement
>>
>>61075572
I know its worse than it used to be. Pajeets over here can't really earn any less by law. You literally can't go lower than that.
>>
>>61075540
So, again, what's the downside to learning a new skill?
>>
>>61075360
Assumtions much? My iq is barley above average first of all. And you dont need to be some super smart genius to use templates or oop design patterns correctly.
>>
>>61075775
Learning new things is good for your brain I suppose (and bad for the rest of your body when you come home after having worked 8+ hours).

I just want to warn OP that the things he might be able to learn in his free time won't allow him to switch to a better paid job if he is already a programmer with several years of experience.

Unless he takes a bootcamp/internship and he is willing to start from junior again (assuming employers call him to begin with), or he lies in his CV (and even then he would get caught sooner or later).
>>
>>61074114
>>How do you implement metaprogramming recursion?
Variadic templates and partial template specialization. I think you can do it now also with constexpr if, in C++17.
>>How do you force an object on or off the stack/heap?
Stack allocated objects have scope lifetime, heap allocated ones are managed with new/delete.
>>How would you implement a base class that must deal with several networking protocols but expose the same interface to all clients. You may not derive from this class or use any type of inheretence.
Make it a templated base class and use dependency injection.
template<typename T>
struct Base {
Base(T& p) : proto(p) {}
// forward interface calls to the different protocols
void transfer(int data) { proto.transfer(data); }
T& proto;
};

t. not an expert.
>>
>I am an expert in c++
Stopped reading there. There is only 1 c++ expert in the world and his name is Scott Myers
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.