[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a Data Analyst?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: da.jpg (37KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
da.jpg
37KB, 638x359px
Just finished my first year of CompSci with good grades. I'm 26 so it's getting late for me to choose a career so I've decided I want to be a Data Analyst (I particularly enjoyed the data mining/analysis coursework we did in a SoftEng module).

How do I go about preparing for a career in Data Analysis?
>>
File: dog.jpg (3MB, 1980x1530px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
3MB, 1980x1530px
>>61071493

>finishes first year
what level of education is this? most first year honors degree courses you can sleep walk through for CS, i'd really just worry about staying on top of your mathematics and programming at this point because they'll be the hardest things down the line

data analysts are really more a stats course thing, ask if you'll have a statistics module at some point and look into that

you could open a few books on big data, start learning NoSQL, SQL, transaction concurrency, hadoop/map reduce functions, query optimization and the relational algebra that goes with it is a big one obviously

you'll be jumping incredibly far ahead though assuming this course you took was some kind of non-academic introduction to data analysis
>>
>>61071493
Read?

Try out Amazon, Azure and Google services. Check Freelancer jobs which technology is a requirement and learn it.
>>
>>61071493
I work as a data analyst. You will need really good communication & visualization skills, good knowledge of statistics and subject matter expertise. On the software side: you should know at least one statistics program (e.g. R), SQL skills and knowing Python is pretty handy.

If you got the basics down (maybe 4-12 weeks) spend a lot of time analyzing data to get a feeling, you will also learn new techniques easier because you have a problem at hand. This is what most fresh graduates lack. I know some guys who did lots of theory in college then got their first data set and didn't really know how to approach it
>>
File: money.jpg (294KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
money.jpg
294KB, 640x360px
>>61071729
I am thinking of buying The Data Science Handbook by Field Cady, is this a good idea? Looks good, might be above me though.
>>61071733
thanks for your advice
>>61071623
it's degree level, i had to analyse some CSV files containing tens of thousands of lines of data, was such a nice feeling when I got a bar chart from the data knowing only a programmer would have been able to do that
>>
>>61071493
Well good luck with your career anon
>>
You should probably switch to mathematics or physics.
>>
>>61071993
i studied physics previously at uni and dropped out in the second year. found it pointless and realised the only degree worth doing nowadays is compsci.
>>
>>61072478

Physics isn't useful because of the science. It's useful because it teaches you to think, program and a fair amount of maths. Most physics grads dont actually end up in science.
>>
>>61073083
Finished physics masters (Mgr.) in central europe about mont ago - cant find job in the field (i guess i am going to teach myself some advanced programming)
>>
>>61073442
Problem with physics is people think you are dangerous and don't want to hang around you. To many people Physics = Bombs/War
>>
>>61073442
Are you good in stats? If so, get familiarized with machine learning.
>>
>>61073502
What the fuck? Are all those people you're talking about retarded?
>>
>>61073599
no most people saw me negatively when i said i did physics and not for nerdiness but because it makes them think about nukes

physics grads only non academic future is to work in defence really
>>
>>61073533
well i know how to work with experimental data well but not so much of the theory. i might give it a shot though thanks

>>61073502
literally its the first time i hear this
>>
Tbqh friand of line got an job right out of college as a data analyst as a math major and compsci minor. She literally only knows what little bit of java they taught her.

But if you really want to be competitive, learning R, python, and sql will put you ahead.
>>
>>61071493
Forget that shit, deep learning is doing everything for us now.
>>
>>61073953
Oh yeah can it makes me a gf?
Check m8
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.