[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VIM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: download.png (6KB, 235x214px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6KB, 235x214px
What's the advantage of using terminal based text editors?
>>
>>61067526
Well, they work in the terminal you're currently working in, and you basically can use a terminal in almost every situation if you sysadmin the respective machine.

You're not going typically going to fire up Xorg on your WLAN router or NAS box and then connect a display or forward it to a remote machine to use it, are you?

[Either way, vim has GUIs if you prefer GUIs.]
>>
The advantage of them isn't because they only run in the terminal but because they often have a keyboard control focus and you can type longer without interuptions, also vim and emacs both have a gui if you really want to use that.
>>
ability to never have to use your mouse
>>
>>61067526
You look like a 1337 h@ck0r
>>
File: 2017-06-25-010644_1269x834_scrot.png (204KB, 1269x834px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-25-010644_1269x834_scrot.png
204KB, 1269x834px
>>61067526
secure shell
splits
no mouse
fast
sexy

desu
>>
I can use it over ssh without creating a tunnel.
>>
>>61067526
Well, if you're going to work in the tech field with linux knowing vi is essential because even if you prefer another text editor vi is the default editor on most devices 99% of the time.

also you can do advanced editing tasks with very short keyboard shortcuts
>>
teaching you the importance of GUI editors and how you should be grateful to have them
>>
>>61069918
brainlet detected. only useful gui editors are IDEs for compiled languages. for scripting / interpreted languages vim is the only way. This is the truth and you will accept this as a fact.
>>
>>61067526
Readability?
>>
>>61067526
ssh, fast, not bloated, flexible, has a GUI version
>>
>>61067526
That you don't need a GUI to edit text files.
>>
>>61067526
properly configured and once you get used to it, nothing is faster
>>
to join the flame war
>>
>>61067526
The usability also scales as you get deeper into "the package".

>have Vim
>can edit multiple lines at once, can substitute unwanted characters etc.
>Enter Ranger
>go to file with hundreds of files named shit like
>S01E04.Nuggets.be.gone.[dvb][tvrip].mp4
>with 4 commands, it becomes
>S01E04 Nuggets be gone.mp4
>>
I can keep my settings in docker and use them on windows just by plugging in a USB stick.
>>
>>61072083
vifm is getting pretty good, I recommend checking it out
>>
I dunno, I just do.

It just werks
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.