[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using F-droid is a security risk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: fdroid-web_2x.png (21KB, 760x200px) Image search: [Google]
fdroid-web_2x.png
21KB, 760x200px
If you're a depressed nerd who fall for "free and open source software" propaganda pieces to fill the void in your heart and use inferior hobbyist software like F-droid over the obvious choice (the default Playstore), you should know that you're exposing your devices to a huge security risk.

It turns out that the F-droid repository is largely unmaintained. You're likely using outdated, flawed, broken versions of applications for which there are recent updates on the Google Playstore.

I'll use an app that is a symbol of "free software" itself as an example: VLC.

People who aren't manipulated by suspicious ideologies and kept the Playstore on their devices are enjoying the version 2.0.6 right now.

The most recent version on F-droid, without further comments: still 1.9.0, released over a year ago.

And this is a major freetard app. If you pay attention to the release dates of other random applications, you'll learn that some have stopped receiving updates on F-droid YEARS ago - while still being actively developed and published on the Playstore.
>>
What the fucking fuck happened to f-droid anyway?

It looks like Facebook just purchased it.
>>
>>61064994
Wow, that bait really cost you some time. Enjoy your guilty pleasures, whatever they are, yuck.
>>
>>61064994
Marlinspike is that you?
>>
I use it but only for stuff that isn't in the playstore. Is that ok op?
>>
>>61064994
>The most recent version on F-droid, without further comments: still 1.9.0, released over a year ago.
It's not even in the active repo you fucking idiot.
>>
>>61064994
>without further comments
There's a thread on that. VLC fails to compile with their current setup.
>>
>>61064994
The point is to use it to download apps that are not on the play store, such as GadgetBridge, and those apps are updated regularly (because F-droid is the main release channel)
>>
File: cellphoneOS.jpg (291KB, 952x1253px) Image search: [Google]
cellphoneOS.jpg
291KB, 952x1253px
>>61065312
It's the main appstore for CopperheadOS and Replicant. They really need to get their shit together.
>>
>>61064994
VLC is trash, the playstore version is maintained by a chinese malware company
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.