[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switching from windows 10 to linux finally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ppegoestocolege.png (216KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ppegoestocolege.png
216KB, 1000x1000px
When using linux before, i found the terminal command language used in mint and elementary much easier to use than arch or antergos for ex. can anyone tell me why mint and elementary use the same commands and how i can find more distros that use these?
inb windows was shit before the leaks
i know :(
>>
also i'm obviously new here, sorry if this is a dumb question
>>
>>61057779
Shell? Bash is the most common. You can install whatever shell you want though.
>>
But the shell commands are usually the same. Just package management that used to be different.
>>
>>61057828
so you're saying that i can install the same terminal language in antergos as used in linux mint?
>>
>>61057834
how recently has this changed? i think this is what i mean
>>
>>61057841
No, your package manager is different. The basic terminal commands are the same (cd, ls, touch, source, etc), but you are using a different tool with different commands to manage your packages.
>>
>>61057779
>why mint and elementary use the same commands and how i can find more distros that use these?
Almost all *nix have the same shell utils
>>
>>61057847
The difference is that you won't find apt-get in archlinux.
>>
>>61057869
ah i see, so what is it that makes the package manager different? how do i refine my search to only find distros that use the same package manager?
>>
>>61057841
I don't know what you mean by language. It's a command line interface. We're not programming here. Antergos and Mint are Linux. Anything you can run on one you can run on all distributions. Generally package management and the people who maintain a distribution are the only differences.
>>
>>61057942
Look for distros that are debian-based.
>>
>>61057952
so dolphin uses a different language to whatever the default package manager is?
>>
>>61057961
ah okay thank you very much,
>>61057952
>>61057907
>>61057880
>>61057869
>>61057834
>>61057828
Thanks everyone, sorry for the dumb question
>>
File: GNU-Linux distro timeline.png (2MB, 2020x6460px) Image search: [Google]
GNU-Linux distro timeline.png
2MB, 2020x6460px
>>61057966
Dolphin the file manager or Dolphin the GameCube/Wii emulator? You still lost me. Arch's package manager is called pacman. Antergos, being Arch based, is pacman as well. Mint, Ubuntu, Elementary, Kali, are Debian based so their package manager is aptitude. Here is a pretty graph.
>>
>>61058123
thank you for the additional info, i meant dolphin the file manager but i figured out what the other anon meant, but i did not know that debian's was called aptitude so thanks, does this mean i can install aptitude on any distro?
>>
>>61058193
>does this mean i can install aptitude on any distro?
Yes, but it's not always as simple as installing from a package manager. I don't think you can pacman -S aptitude, for instance. You would be better off picking which management system you prefer, then decide what desktop environment you like.
>>
>>61058306
okay well thanks a lot, this has been very helpful
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.