[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

XFCE fixing or replacing thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: je2415btvuny.jpg (71KB, 750x730px) Image search: [Google]
je2415btvuny.jpg
71KB, 750x730px
XFCE is great.
I love XFCE.
It's lightweight, and with the right shortcuts, icon themes and panel extensions it looks and feels great too.
But it sucks.
XFCE sucks ass.
XFCE does bullshit move after bullshit move.
I'm talking of course about how XFCE handles multiple monitors.
I'm on a W520 (ThinkPad), with a Q2000M (Nvidia) gpu, and two external monitors attached. And XFCE consistently craps its pants. (changing my primary screen, duplicating my screens instead of extending them, opening windows on the wrong screen, putting the panel on the wrong screen or straight out crashing XOrg)
XFCE also messes with my drivers (steam can't find driver directory... rollback driver, install steam, update driver, steam still works (though this is just a side note as I don't really game anymore))

So...
What do?
Is there a DE that plays nice with Nvidia graphics cards and multiple screens that can be customized to this extent? I used KDE plasma for a while before I discovered the potentials of ricing, and didn't like it... maybe give KDE another chance?

I'm currently on W10, because I was under high stress with uni projects (everyone assuming I'm on Windows, and me trying to get ms files to work on libre/openoffice or trying to get autoCAD to work and shit, now I want to dive back in.

Anyone know a good DE for this?
>>
>>
use weston
>>
>>61056743
>Part of the Wayland project is also the Weston reference implementation of a Wayland compositor. Weston can run as an X client or under Linux KMS and ships with a few demo clients. The Weston compositor is a minimal and fast compositor and is suitable for many embedded and mobile use cases.

So Weston is a compositor that works on Wayland and X? Or only Wayland?

>Wayland is developed by a group of volunteers initially led by Kristian Hogsberg as a free and open community-driven project with the aim of replacing the X Window System with a modern, simpler windowing system in Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.[7] The project's source code is published under the terms of the MIT License, a permissive free software licence.[8][4]

Because it seems that while Wayland seems neat, it seems like it doesn't have nearly as many people supporting it, and if I would fuck something up, I'd be on my own.
Can anyone confirm this?
Does Weston work fine on X, or am I misreading fsf's description of Weston?
>>
>>61056947
Or is XWayland the way to go then? It seems like its pretty much X with Wayland capabilities.
>>
wayland and x with xwayland, it's usable but "bare bones" with the desktop-shell
it works mostly ok with a couple of minor glitches mainly in gtk2 applications, gtk3 works ok, it's not normie ready, for that there is gnome
there is no tearing, interestingly mpv in fullscreen has tearing but not in maximized ;) this is with default configs and radeon driver
>>
>>61057384
also ram usage is about 20 megs more than i3 but has drop shadows and transparency :) so it's a pretty fair deal
>>
>>61056947
>So Weston is a compositor that works on Wayland and X? Or only Wayland?
you can start it in an x session with weston or from tty with weston-launch for wayland with xwayland for compatibility

>and if I would fuck something up, I'd be on my own
to do that you have to haxxor into the source code
>>
>>61056705
What do you want from XFCE?
Try cinnamon.
>>
>>61057463
I just riced it in a way that looked OSX/Chromebook-ish that I liked alot (paper icon theme and stuff), since I have a lot of freetime, I'm going to retry building gentoo (last time I couldn't get it to boot) inside of a VM, and once I learn that well enough I want to put together a nice GUI, XFCE was my goto on my ubuntu server install earlier this year, but I don't want to go back to the issues I kept having with it.
>>
File: 1497958468233-g.gif (73KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1497958468233-g.gif
73KB, 512x512px
>>61058079
I just spent some time looking at ricing vids on cinnamon, and it seems like with docky, its pretty much a heavier xfce, so I might utilize it.
But... Wayland looks like it will give me extra meme points, and I'm doing this for fun anyway.

Now I'm off to learn how to properly build a GNU/Linux OS...
>>
>>61057463
Cinnamon is garbage. KDE and XFCE beat it in everything. Wasting time on Mint and cinnamon was a mistake. They should have just helped KDE/XFCE/Gnome and Ubuntu.
>>
File: 1445882241946.jpg (98KB, 886x552px)
1445882241946.jpg
98KB, 886x552px
>>61058935
>debating DEs
Of all the DE GNOME is the most stable, followed by unity.
LXDE and other "Light on resources" DE are meme and prove of concept.
KDE is not bloated, it try many things and see what sticks.
The rest are half baked attempts at decent DE.
>>
Stick with Windows. You'll eventually discover that all of the distros and DEs suck. Windows just werks and everyone expects you to use it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.