[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Emacs and Vim are just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: hacking_big_new.jpg (30KB, 759x422px) Image search: [Google]
hacking_big_new.jpg
30KB, 759x422px
Is there a point in learning these ancient text editors?
Will they make my workflow 10x times more productive? Or are the just another meme?

Using Sublime text 3 for my Python and Java at the moment.
Everything is fine but rumors about super-fast workflow can't let me be at peace.
>>
>>61056080
Sublime is not foss so ita trash by default
>>
>>61056080
>using a non open source text editor
>>
File: 1465222387050.jpg (351KB, 1528x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1465222387050.jpg
351KB, 1528x2048px
>>61056080
Vim is god-tier
>>
The vim keybindings can increase your efficiency by 2-3 X assuming you learn everything and not just d$ cw r ctrl-A G gg etc.

Once you figure out how the period command truly operates, you will never go back. Most never get there though and just give up. If you think you can switch from vim to spacemacs seemlessly it shows that you're a pleb that never learned this vital step towards maximizing vim productivity and should stick to whatever meme bullshit you're using. The period command repeats the last valid change. You can use it to automate practically everything in vim. The period owns both you and your mother. In fact it sold her to Simon Legree and bought a new seersucker suit with the change.
>>
>>61056080
The only people who still use them fall into 3 groups. 1) They have been using them for years and it is what they are comfy with 2) They are a sysadmin and need to do things stricly in the terminal 3) They are autistic. EMACS is shit anyway you put it.
>>
so the question is what text editor should you use? Not autistic enough for vim/emacs, sublime is not FOSS so insta trash, Atom runs on electron so insta trash. What are the other options?
>>
>>61056406

Go through the vimtutor. If you hate it after that then don't use vim. If you use linux you can use geany, kate, etc. there's no shortage of text editors that can be used as lightweight IDEs. None have autocomplete like you can set up with vim and emacs though.
>>
>>61056406
vscode
>>
>>61056376
>>61056080
>The vim keybindings can increase your efficiency by 2-3 X

I call it bullshit if no source. Mouse is more efficient overall
>>
>>61057487
bait
>>
>>61056080
>Not using nano
Fagtard
>>
All the features of vim, emacs, etc. are just to compensate for your lack of thought.
>>
>>61056300
You spelled 'nano' wrong
>>
>>61057533
I'm still waiting for the source you fucking mongoloid

https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/mouse_vs._keyboard/index.html
>>
>>61056406
ed
>>
It's pretty nice if you spend a lot of time on a laptop without a proper mouse.

I'm not a programmer, but i do spend a fair amount of time working in text editors. So for me it was definitely worth it since i can now do pretty much everything i do on the computer without having to use a trackpad/trackpoint.
It is also a bit faster.
>>
>>61057714
My god, that article was just nothing but pure bullshit from beginning to end.

Plus vim has mouse support anyway, for the rare operations where the mouse is faster.
>>
File: Richard-Stallman.jpg (41KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Richard-Stallman.jpg
41KB, 800x534px
So, are there any Emacs users?
Some say that Emacs is so advanced that can be used as a desktop enviroment itself.
And what about spaceemacs? Is it a good starting point?
>>
>>61057714
why in gods name would you remove a tab from every line like that in vim!? highlight the entire selection in visual and then '<' holy fuck that's autismo
>>
>>61057714
>>61058481
Yeah exactly. In if you need to repeat the operation to remove more tabs or add tabs using '>', you just press '.'

Honeslty vim is the best editor by far. Most IDEs have a plugin for vim keybindings (for example IntelliJ or xCode)
>>
>>61057714
>taking your hand off of keyboard
>moving in all the way to the mouse
>gripping the mouse and moving it
>taking your hand off the mouse
>moving it back to the keyboard and positioning it on the home row
>all this to perform a simple operation that can be done by dropping a finger on a key a couple of times
just no
>>
>>61056376
Yeah I tried learning once, couldn't figure it out. however, my friend uses Vim at work and loves it. After installing some plugins and knowing the keys, you can edit text like a motherfucker
>>
>>61057701
Nano is just a gateway drug. Eventually you will end up vim
>>
All I know is that I'm the only one at my work who can refactor the entire codebase without problems.
>>
I could never figure out how to get the vim plugins to do the same as gcc -I/path/to/include so the vim plugins never know about my include paths.
>>
>>61060912
uh... :set path and :setlocal path. Did you never try :help path?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.