[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

11 yrs old: >when i grow up, i want to make videogames! 15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 23

File: fSSh7df.png (80KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
fSSh7df.png
80KB, 500x421px
11 yrs old:
>when i grow up, i want to make videogames!

15 yrs old:
>duh i want to make a videogame, i'll start to learn c++

17 yrs old:
>i made a ''''professional'''' videogame.

18 yrs old:
>damn, i need money... what if...

18.5 yrs old:
>start learning how to make websites (php,java, and that shit)

19.5 yrs old:
>start working as a web developer in a company.

20 yrs old (now)
>damn... i want to make videogames.

What about you anon? i can't sleep.
>>
>>61055786
I just make shitty white label cms wordpress sites and charge people for a "custom" front end with a "user friendly" back end.
>>
>>61055786
13yo
>All faggots should be hanged

25yo (now)
>All faggots should be hanged
>>
>>61055810
What's it like being Peter Pan?
>>
>>61055810
kek

>>61055797
haha classic
>>
8 yrs old:
>make text adventures in QBASIC

9 yrs old:
>get klik n play, start making shitty platform games

13 yrs old:
>get the internet, start uploading my games online

16 yrs old:
>have a decent website, hundreds of thousands of downloads, get approached by companies to put adware in games

19 yrs old:
>quit school to work on my games full time

whats your excuse?
>>
>>61055836
Which indie startup are you
>>
>>61055843
he makes all the flappy bird clones on the play store
>>
So download ue4 and start deving
>>
>> 61055836
Wow, very nice for you anon! Congrats.

I dunno, some times i'm making a game feel like "yuh but ... my code is not right ... there should be a right way to write it and i'm not doing that way... it is not efficiently ... i sucks" and just give up ... never happened to you? It sucks
>>
File: butthole.jpg (41KB, 667x768px) Image search: [Google]
butthole.jpg
41KB, 667x768px
>>61055847
Maybe even all the gta clones
>>
>>61055836
this >>61055854
>>
>>61055854
What did he mean by this
>>
>>61055854
I started and gave up hundreds of games before finishing one it's just part of the learning process

>>61055843
I'm not a startup anymore I'm 31 now
>>
File: 1435497222508.jpg (26KB, 441x411px) Image search: [Google]
1435497222508.jpg
26KB, 441x411px
18 yo
>Start college

28 yo
>Realize I hate my degree and my job with passion
>Start learning web developement on my free time
>Realize I wasted 10 years of my life

Believe me OP, it could be worse.
>>
>>61055786
>17 yrs old:
>>i made a ''''professional'''' videogame
lol
>>
>>61055856
Kek
>>
>be 16 years old
>i want to make video games
>design maps, even made a tf2 map (a real one, not some blocky orangemap shit)
>parents say that's stupid and i'll never get a job
>always telling me to "get off that damn computer" because it's a "waste of time"
>go to uni
>do a bit of programming
>hey dis is breddy cool
>graduate in geography/GIS
>keep self-learning
>now work as geospatial developer

it wasn't video games but it's still pretty neat

and my parents wonder why i dont want to come back home. why would i want to go visit people who told me that my real passions were stupid while still demanding that i "get a good job"?
>>
File: spurdo_face.png (13KB, 528x404px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo_face.png
13KB, 528x404px
>>61055854

unfortunately most of your first ideas will crash.

but if you somehow keep finding motivation all by yourself to pick yourself up and try again... and again... and again... then you've got the spark. don't give up on it.

the difference between a master and a novice is that the master has failed more times than the novice has even tried.
>>
>>61055786
9-14 years old:
>like science and diy stuff but parents not interested in buying anything interesting

15-20 years old:
>obtain computer, read esr articles
>"i'm a hacker (in original sense)" enroll in degree program

23-27 years (now):
>jobless and defeated
>hiding in a hole so i don't have to face people
>>
>>61056734

Your parents are dumb as fuck. Did they really think that computers were a "waste of time"?
>>
>>61058774
What happened between 20 and 23?
>>
>>61058882
university
>>
>>61058983
I feel you. >>61055875

College was my biggest mistake. I'm just not made for traditional education.
>>
>>61055786
>11 years old
I want to be a navy pilot
>14 years old
Mom dies and I move but I still wanna fly Jets
>15 years old
School year starts at my new school and I dropout of highschool eventually because I'm really awkward and everyone things I'm weird because I don't talk to anyone
>18 years old
Get my GED and test out in the top 5 percentile of graduating seniors despite going to HS only one year. Get rejected by the navy because of getting prescribed pills and consoling after my mother's death. I get a factory job.
>24 years old
Still at the same job and while I'm at work I constantly think about just sticking my head in the press I'm operating and letting it crush my skull.
>>
>>61059091
>I'm just not made for traditional education.
I'm sorry, you mispelled "I am retarded"
>>
>>61055810
It's the current year, there is literally nothing wrong with being a faggot or a dyke
>>
>5-6 yo
"I want to be a scientist because they make super robots, I saw it in cartoons"
>7-10 yo
"wow this C language is pretty cool"
I made some shitty bots and software
>11-16
"school is pretty cool, people laugh at me..I mean my jokes, I wish I'd get a gf"
>17-20
"Wow I ruined so many years chasing girls, I could've made games.. at least I have this shit codemonkey job"
>21
>quit job and become a NEET to focus on game making
I would've wasted my time regretting things I could've done a different way, but that'd taake away more time from focusing on my dream.
Why waste time on things that you can't change ?
Plebs without dedication won't get anything done, ever.
>>
>>61059122
>I constantly think about just sticking my head in the press I'm operating and letting it crush my skull
The navy was right to reject you
>>
>want to be pentester
>Instead become Cloud architect

Fuck this boring ass shit
>>
>>61055818
It gets you hanged. Didn't you read his post?
>>
>>61059495
>pentester
aka failed sysadmins who throw buzzwords to get a job at ruby startups
>>
>>61059495
you can become penistester
>>
File: coal sstat.png (13KB, 568x274px) Image search: [Google]
coal sstat.png
13KB, 568x274px
>>61055786
11 yrs
C++ is shit, what is this meme Delhpi
13 yrs
shit in delphi i can't make games, let's learn c++
14 yr
C++ is shit, i would make game in rpg maker and game maker
16 yr
it's hard
18yr
ok let's learn js and earn some mony
19 yr
dev is the worst job ever, i hate it. I was scamed twice in remote jobs
21 lvl
after some work, now neeting Maybe i will go to irland
>>
>>61059143
I don't understand how someone can type a post like this, fill out a captcha, and submit it without ever realizing how worthless it's going to be and aborting it first
>>
File: tomshotgun.jpg (48KB, 537x472px) Image search: [Google]
tomshotgun.jpg
48KB, 537x472px
>>61058853

to be fair it was mostly my mom. my dad had a computer store that went bankrupt and really fucked up our family, eventually leading to divorce. i think she had a grudge against computers because of that. she always hated how often i was on the computer.

admittedly i was mostly playing games but i always thought it could have gone a lot better if she noticed i was very interested in them (i built a computer with my brother when i was 16) and tried to connect me with resources that could help me.

but i try not to think about what could have been and instead focus on where i can go now.
>>
>>61059091
that's not what i was implying though
>>
>>61055786

Kid
> i want to make video games

Preteen
> i want to be bill gates

Teen
> this teach yourself c++ book got advanced real fast

Graduate hs
> i hate computers now since im too dumb to learn programming and now i have no idea what to go to college for so ill take time off.

6 years into shitty data entry job
> i hate my life and these constant headaches ruin me

6 years after doing shitty retail
> fuck, i dont know... maybe i should just go back to school for IT. Im fat now though and dont want to deal with actual classrooms so ill do online school.

6 months before starting school again
> im just going to quit my job and buy some different teach yourself books

Starting college
> those teach yourself books were not bad, im starting to get it, but i gotta stop self study because of classwork

Middle of college
> ehhh, ill help out a relative's business and work for them

Graduate college
> i didnt learn shit, but i got an expensive piece of paper. I feel kinda bad to quit on my relative though. Ill just work on programming shit in my spare time.

4 years later
> sucks i dont have anytime to work on programming shit because im so busy working for my relative. Sucks that they cant afford to pay me more though, at least its enough to pay my bills. Im glad the income driven student loan repayment plan can be $0.

Moral of the story is dont help family.
>>
>>61055786
>damn... i want to make videogames
fucking make video games then jesus christ

you don't even need c++, just get gamemaker and make some 2d pixel shit and sell it on steam for $5 - you'll be set for life
>>
Until I was 20, my parents hated my computer usage. When I graduated from CS as top of my class they told me they kind of regret holding me back like that but media at the time was saying it was bad for you, but nowadays they use computers and tablet in school.

I'm 26 now and get paid $100k+.
>>
>>61060774

>having brainlet parents
>>
>>61055786
>17 yrs old:
>>i made a ''''professional'''' videogame.
Tux Racer
>>
>>61056734
>senior year of GIS
>start learning programming
>really enjoy it
Wish I went CS now
>>
yeah i thought all that too,
but i achieved my goals.

your slacking op.
>>
>>61055786
Cash in on the autism market just like undertale did
>>
>>61055786
7 years old
Parents get divorced.
10 years old
Dad computer can't run games.
Start creating non dynamic websites.
Discover Firefox and animé.
12 years old
Discover Linux and programing, but want to do games and start using blender.
15 year old.
Learn Java for real.
20 year old
Start real computer science school.
25 years (now)
Fucking odoo dev.
>>
>>61055786
Then why don't you do something about it? In my country at least you can go study game making and it is considered a normal career choise here. You also get paid to do it so there is that.

In your place it might be different but i'm sure companies need new workers so there might be courses and other experience gaining opportunities available where you are at. Then there is the whole indie scene available now because of hipsters. Some have moved from being indie devs to 'real devs'.
>>
>>61055786
11 yrs old:
>when i grow up, i want to be a doctor!

15 yrs old:
>duh i want to be a scientist instead

17 yrs old:
>play vidya all day n shitpost

18 yrs old:
>Finished school, finished pre-uni exams

18.5 yrs old:
>drafted into slave military, trained in CyberSecurity shit despite having no prior knowledge in computers

19.5 yrs old:
>slaving at the military some more

20 yrs old
>slaving more

21 years old
>get sick of cybershit meme, learn programming in 10 month long course

22 yrs old
finally free, started working as cybersecurity for some company, make 67k a year but still hate job and want to be a programmer and a freelance app developer like my friends who make about 3000k a month from freelancing aside from their main job
>>
Am I the only person who didn't get into programming through gaming? It's no wonder young coders these days have no interest in learning actual computer science and just want a bunch of tools and gizmos that they can make flashy graphics with. Pathetic.
>>
>>61061431
>slave military

You must be from Finland then?
>>
>>61061557
No, from Israel, much worse
>>
File: touchScreenLaptops.jpg (206KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
touchScreenLaptops.jpg
206KB, 900x1200px
>>61055786
7 years old:
> I want to be a firefighter and save lives

10 years old:
> I don't fucking know what I want. I just want to play Yu-Gi-Oh with my friends

14 years old:
> I just want a gf and play runescape

15 years old:
> I just formatted a computer, I'm a hacker, maybe I want to graduate in cs

17 years old:
> I'm a genius, I will easily make 120K after I graduate in cs

18 years old:
> All I do is going to parties, playing with my band and bullshit around (Still virgin). Failing at a private university

19 years old:
> Finally introduced to programming (Still a virgin though)

23 years old (today):
> have a gf
> graduated in system information
> learning iOS programming
> making a shitty game
> no job, I'm just studying, fucking my qt gf and making a Swift game

It's never too late anons
>>
>>61061431
what is cybersecurity like?
do you do sysadmin / networking stuff?
>>
>>61061606
Not him, but mostly vuln research
>>
>>61061606
I manage firewalls, antivirus systems and web application security systems.

It's a modified sysadmin job with more pay but less interesting.

In the military I also did Incident response shit and forensics. It's horrible but some people like it.

I feel like this entire cybersecurity is a huge meme which will eventually explode. I don't find it interesting at all, I'm just preparing for the day I'll be ready to be a full-time developer by self learning and finding freelance projects.
>>
>>61061585
I can believe that
>>
>>61061213
>be gis major undergrad
>start working and eventually get more into dev work
>decide to go back to grad school for non gis masters but take some related gis courses like application and web services
>notice most gis ppl suck dog dick at programming and don't even grasp basic concepts
Why does our field attract so many brain dead button clickers?
>>
>>61055810
Is this not edgy?
>>
>>61055810
so what am i supposed to take from this, that you were an idiot and you're an idiot now?
>>
11yr old
>oh wow, that pegasus tanks are cool, i want to make games like this

13yr old
> FFVII on ps1, i want to make games

16yr old
>im hopeless emo faggot that in todays standards would be hipster beta, started learning max 3d and c++, nogf

17yr old
> dad: all you do is playing that 3ds max game on yer pc, i want you to get the fuck of the house when you finish school (we end school at 18, and desite if we go for university)
>me: ok fine

18yr old
> first job making shitty pony game for ps2 and xbox consoles, modelling fucking ponies all day long for shitty salary, fell good.

20yr old
> friend: hey lets quit that ponymaking and start own studio, i've get an investor!

21yr old
>investor fucked us over with hulk dick without lube or butter, went to shitty laptop repair job for 1y, doing second job doing... jewelry for some jew. Polishing skills

22yr old
> fuck this shit, i want to make games again, get hired doint early BR stuff (simualtions for military/science and shit, with some small PC games for shitty magazines as addition)
>>
>>61064070
>>cont.
24yr old
> fuck this shit, moved to some major city in my country, worked in 'rent a dev' studio doing some early shiva3d/unity3d engine games for clients. Pay was good. Stupid accountant cunt i was banging for some reason drop hard disk with all invoices on the floor, it started ticking, begs me to fix it - i did recovery, elarned the studio sold me to client basically for x5 amount of what they gave me

26yr old
> fuck that shit, starte my own company (i need to have one-person company here to do contract work.), started workign for clients, doing shitty jobs like visualising mcdonald restaurants for VR and shitty escape the room games, as well outsourcing for some AAA studios after a while, but still local country-studios.

28yr old
> fuck that shit, local studios are paying shitty amount of money (still better than rent-a-dev job. in 3 months switched all work to outsource to the west.

32 yr old
> senior position in middle-sized studio, pay is good, they want to pay everything and get me visa so i can suck their cocks on site rather than remotely, plan seems good.

32yr + 4yr (planning)
> start own outsource company and hire lot of faggots like 24yr me to rent them for shitload of monies.

It seems like im doing it right, yet i feel empty inside.
>>
>>61064070
> early BR stuff
early VR stuff *
>>
>>61064092
>It seems like im doing it right, yet i feel empty inside.
buy a dragon dildo
>>
>>61055786
oo poor you
kys
>>
>>61064174
i do most sexual things without more or less joy from it, so i guess dragon dildo wont change a thing here.
>>
youngster
>I showed some proficiency for arts and i liked to browse my grandma's architecture magazines, so hey... i'm gonna be an architect

teen
>weeaboo syndrome hits me like a truck with all the usual bullshit, i'm gonna be a mangaka, move to Japan and they'll pick my manga to make an anime adaptation, i'm cringing hard typing this...

18-24
>Depression, social anxiety, ocd, you name it, did not know what the fuck i wanted to do with my life, so i played a shitload of shit games while watching movies

25-present
>Snapped out of my bullshit state of mind and entered a CS program, i always dabbled with programming stuff while in my teens but never took it seriously, now i do, liking the course so far and for my surprise, i don't suck at it.
>>
>>61064218
but it /will/ fill up your insides
>>
File: 1496139801516.png (167KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496139801516.png
167KB, 500x400px
5 years old:
>I want to be a scientist
26 years old:
>Have a masters degree in computer engineering
>wagecuck
>still don't know how shit works
>discover that you have to be an act all the time and pretend life has meaning in order to feel the emotion of happiness
You can call me edgy but I don't want to wait 40 more years to see how this show ends
t.soontobeanhero
>>
>>61064262
did it work for you?
>>
>>61064537
i can't afford one
>>
>12 years old the sexual abuse stopped, computers were my reward and my escape
>14-18 living in fear of being outted as a faggot, rage issues, drug addiction, in and out of juvenile mental hospitals, computer interest a passing hobby
>21 no more drugs, no more fights, in and out of mental hospitals minimum wage slave while designing my warehouses first network
>25 ready to an hero because this is as good as it will get
>>
>>61059201
shut up and be a faggot somewhere else
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>61064318
Honestly dude, I would just take a trip to Switzerland and end the show if I were in your shoes. No one deserves to live a meaningless life for that long.
>>
>>61059122
Don't do it, bruh. Just do like community college or online or something.
>>
>>61059495
What qualifications?
>>
File: 1391149368874.jpg (33KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1391149368874.jpg
33KB, 720x480px
Young lad
>I want to be a scientist

Early teens
>I'll become a game dev or a voice actor

Late teens to early adulthood
>No fucking idea of what to do or where to go, working a wagecuck job in a stadium that'll likely get blown up soon
>>
>>61055786
1 hour old
>the trouble begins
>>
>>61055810
12 years and you didn't learn proper english.
>>
>>61064727
Hope things go better for you, friend.
>>
Move to the east coast, to a big navy town.
They hire Unity programmers for flight training software.

It's like vidya, but pays the bills.
>>
10 y.o.
> Father works for Intel. Introduced to web coding early. Code stuff out of boredom. Code and run a Neopets fan site because that's what bored 9 year olds do.

12 y.o.
> Lego Robotics sets come out, I get one for Christmas, and it is the coolest damn toy I have ever had in my life.

13 y.o.
> Join an extracurricular robotics team, learn Robot C, fucking LOVE IT.

14 y.o.
> Take web dev classes in high school because they are easy and I am lazy.

16 y.o.
> Enroll in college courses, EXCITED as hell to become an engineer
> flunk math.
> Flunk math because (apparently) I have dyscalculia, THINK I flunk math because I'm fucking stupid

17 y.o.
> Realize Engineering is nothing but 4 years of math
> Change my major because I think I'm too stupid for it
> Web design is easy.

19 y.o.
> Graduate with an AAS in web design

21 y.o.
> Work my way up as an in-house dev with a start-up

23 y.o.
> Senior dev for successful eccomerce start up
> Four direct report employees + an intern
> Considered one of the top 3 most important people in the company, including the business owner
> Business planning on moving into a larger office, boss talking about expanding my department more, BIG raises coming my way

> I fucking hate web dev.

> Enroll in night classes at community college again, I am getting my engineering degree if it kills me.
> Get motherfucking diagnosed with a learning disability, get accommodations, actually working on my degree and making good progress.
> Counting down the months until I quit this successful endeavor that has become my own personal hell and go back to school full time

It doesn't have to end here, anon. You want it, make it happen.
>>
>>61059753
Don't stop thinking like that anon, keep going forward in life.
>>
>>61055786
11 yrs old

18 yrs old
> get accepted to top 10 school for cs with game concentration

20 yrs old

> get job at top studio making great $$

23 yrs old

> haven't played games in over a year outside of mtg occasionally, make less than friends in cyber sec
>>
>>61068531
>gets the benefits of an exceptionally early start
>guys you can do it to just dont stop dreaming
>>
>>61068531
>Get motherfucking diagnosed with a learning disability
What do you have anon?
>>
>>61068588
Just because you started later doesn't discount the statement. Add five years to my timeline and it's still the same story. Went to college, flunked out of my program because of a disability, considered myself too stupid to do more and settled for less. Now I'm back on the horse and I'm glad I'm doing it.

I'm going to college while working full time and taking care of a disabled dependent by myself. If I can find the time and the will, so can you.

>>61068615
Dyslexia, dyscalculia, and prosopagnosia. The Dyscalculia is what fucked me over the first time I took calculus.
>>
File: acute.jpg (41KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
acute.jpg
41KB, 600x314px
>>61064251
Can I ask about your application experience as an adult student? I'm 24 and applying to colleges (for physics programs) this fall. I only went to a private art uni for one semester before being put on leave and then being unable to afford to return due to the interruption in fin-aid. I don't know if I should email counselors at the places I am applying to and tell them my story before applying.. or try to explain it in my application or what. I read a lot of people say not to talk about anxiety/depression in your essays but it seems important to mention..
>>
>>61068650
>Dyslexia
I had a hunch this was it.
I ask because I recently read symtoms and I think I ""might"" have it.
I have doubts because, although sometimes I have trouble thinking sequentially and, most of all, expressing my thoughts (I stumble for words a lot, sometimes I say words in a jumbled way and I'm very bad at explaining myself unless I've practiced it beforehand), I've always been a good reader, and I have zero trouble writing, and learning a second language was... Absolutely no trouble for me (My first language is spanish).
Yet, It's very hard to me to grasp certain concepts, directions, and orders. Sometimes I have to think it over and over to understand it quite right. And reading certain kind of books just downright confuse me. Although I do enjoy reading.
What are your experiences with it?
>>
>>61055797

Is this essy money? Craigslist or how do you attract and get your bunisness and your clients?
>>
8:
>vidya is fun!
10:
>internet is fun!
14:
>coding shit is fun!
>get all accounts banned
>get a job
>being is rich is fun!

>why isn't vidya fun
>why isn't anything fun

>why isn't anything fun

>why isn't anything fun

>why isn't anything fun
>>
>>61068776
>get a job
>being is rich is fun!
Lucky faggot.
>>
>>61067368
That English is correct, Ramesh
>>
File: 1491220363889.jpg (22KB, 512x495px) Image search: [Google]
1491220363889.jpg
22KB, 512x495px
>>61055786
11 yrs old
>I'll write the best book in the history of books!

15 yrs old
>oh yeah ass and titties, that's my goal in life

20 yrs old
>I'm young and full of dreams! let's google something fun to spend this aftern... what's this? four-chan?

31 yrs old (today)
>the jews control the world, feminists won't let me be happy. why haven't I killed myself yet?
>>
>>61055786
Dude, you're only 20.
>>
>>61068707
I didn't catch it as a kid either because I'm an excellent reader. Funny thing is, dyslexics can excel in reading so long as no one is forcing them to read the words in the correct order.

I also have a really hard time with linear thought processes, and anything that requires a really strict sequential order means I'm totally fucked. I am abhorrently bad at directions, and would get lost driving pretty much anywhere if not for google maps. On the flip side I find I'm better than average at understanding 3D concepts and puzzles that require reordering or restructuring elements.

Academically getting my testing means that I no longer get time limits on my tests, so I can go slow and double check everything. I'm also permitted use of graph paper for my tests (my college doesn't normally allow outside paper in testing rooms) which helps keep things straight in my head.
>>
Delving into the world of client-side javascript frameworks officially marks the end of your dreams forever. This is the point where you consider becoming an hero.
>>
>>61068776
>why isn't anything fun
Because you're clinically depressed and desperately need therapy, and possibly medication to correct chemical imbalances that aren't your fault.
>>
File: distributedelementmodel.png (54KB, 862x612px) Image search: [Google]
distributedelementmodel.png
54KB, 862x612px
>>61055786
I have never had any interest in making video games. I was mildly interested in programming but never enough to go anywhere with it. I went for my physics major and a combination of me being too dumb plus my disdain for formalism and rigor (obviously cornerstones of any research based science but just not for me) had me leave that avenue soon after. I wanted to be more hands on and build shit. Since I've worked with electronics from a young age I decided to give EE a shot. I kind of expected to really take an interest in digital electronics and had dreams of designing the CPUs and GPUs of tomorrow but rather surprisingly I didn't care for digital all that much. Analog is much more interesting.

I'm very interested in learning about high frequency RF stuff, distributed element model, super heterodyne receivers, radar, that kind of stuff. That high frequency stuff is like black magic. Absolutely crazy. Will turn all of your existing circuits knowledge upside down.
>>
>I want to make video games

what aspect op?

Programming games? That's hard, the hours suck, the work conditions suck, you can make more money in other domains with your programming skills. Plus game dev requires skills like 3d/geometry that don't really translate to other domains.

Art? gay, and you don't learn C++ to do that

Design? this is where the cool part of making games is, but designing a good game is actually really hard, and you don't learn C++ to do that.

OP, just be happy that you have a skill (programming) that means you will never go hungry and you will never have to shovel literal shit for a living.
>>
>>61068889
tldr making games is incredibly over-rated, stick to playing them.
>>
>>61068843
This is all very useful information for me.
Thank you! And I wish you luck in all of your endeavors anon.
>>
>didn't know shit about computers except how to neopets
>take AP CS 1 in jr year of high school
>realize computers are amazing
>change major to CS, from chemistry
>do AP CS 1
>do IB CS HL
>college for CS
>first year of classes is intensely boring
>second year all the skids and normies drop out, and now it's just autistic people and masochists left
>3rd year start taking the really cool upper level classes: database design, machine learning
>4th year take even more: computer vision, compilers & interpreters, etc
>all through college make minecraft plugins that people actually end up liking to use
>graduate
>get hired by a finance firm (trading)
>finance is actually pretty interesting
>pay is bretty gud
>life is bretty gud, though work is fairly demanding

I think I was lucky to have been introduced to programming with "int a = 1;" in an academic setting, instead of falling for the trap of "ugh why do I have to know about the pumping lemma and all this other bullshit, I just want to make a game".

Game programming is fucking boring, graphics programming is basically nvidia-flavored hell. Being a game designer is where it really is, if you want to "make" a video game.

People like the Stardew Valley guy are extremely, extremely rare.
>>
>>61068989
>change major to CS, from chemistry

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end, but damn that isn't a move I would have made.
>>
>>61068650
>Just because you started later doesn't discount the statement
It does actually the child development years are exceptionally important in all fields.
So no, it's not just as simple as "adding 5 years to the timeline".
You'd know this if you were so far up your own ass all this time.
>>
>>61069010
lab jobs suck, my parents-in-law both have chemistry bachelors and manage labs, and they say they tell anyone who will listen not to major in chemistry.

Even oil-related chemistry is currently in the shitter, since crude prices just keep getting gutted. Oil shat the bet, yet again, literally just over this last week, especially Friday.
>>
>>61064727
Don't do it bruh.
>>
>>61059091
this. i too regret going off to college. but what can i say? i listened to all the fuckwits who kept telling me to go off to college. from my parents, to my teachers, high school advisors, and even the mexican ac repair man that came the summer prior to my senior year. everyone told me to go. it was expected.
i've always enjoyed computers, but i never knew what i actually wanted to do with them back then. let alone make it a career. i was in my teens and not old, nor mature enough to drink, yet people expect you to know what you want to do for the next 40 - 50 years of your life?
back then the things that most appeared to me, if anything, for a career was going into the navy or a trade like electrician or welder. but everyone told me that was stupid. two of my high school advisers told me joining any military branch would be the equivlent of working at mcdonalds. mind you this was at the height of the iraq war and i was living in cali at the time.
so i went off and majored in computer science. i hated every bit of it. i was, and still am, awful but at the time i felt like i had no other option. i just picked it because my college advisor advised me to go into it.
worked for four years into the field and got laid off five times (POOR PERFORMANCE). last layoff was a giant relief. said fuck it and went and applied to a warhouse in my town and i love it. i work mon - fri, weekends off, 35 hours a week, full benefits (actually better than my last programming gig), and I make 15.65 an hour. i get all the major holidays off, sick time, and pto. i might make less but I don't have the headache of a shitty office job anymore. i'm not confined to a cubicle working on a project that's someone elses idea. nor does my work follow me home. i have a lot more free time and overall freedom. work is work, and home is home, and i have a lot of home time. its nice having more home time, my life, than work. a lot less stress.
>>
>>61055836
>tfw i wasn't one of those who started coding as a kid
>>
>>61069331
Dude you sound like me though i didn't go to college and have no skills other than web development.

>last layoff was a giant relief
>I don't have the headache of a shitty office job anymore. i'm not confined to a cubicle working on a project that's someone elses idea. nor does my work follow me home.
This is what i fucking hate about my job. I hate the shitty culture, the fucking pressure to belong to the culture, my eyesight getting worse, etc.

Warehouse jobs around me are very rare though and the pay is not enough to make a living. Thinking of becoming a postman. Need to get my drivers licence first though AND have it for a year so it'll take some time.
>>
>Elementary-Middle School
I wanna make video games!

>High School
I wanna be a hacker like Anonymous!

>End of High School
Hacking is not what movies make it out to be and requires a lot more knowledge than I was expecting. Video game programming requires many roles to be fulfilled, and I am not a creative person. No one I know can make art assets and I don't have the money to pay someone to make them. But hey, programming is fun so I might as well get a CS degree so I can make a career out of it.

>Nearing end of Bachelor's Degree
Well I suck at networking with people, but I think I've got an aunt who used to work at Microsoft. Maybe she can help me get a foot in the door. (She tells me to get a Master's Degree)

>Halfway through Master's Degree
My professors and parents are dropping hints on me to get a PhD. In retrospect, nearly every programming job these days, even at places like Microsoft, has to deal with web development, while all of my studies thus far have been focused on security, operating systems, and compilers. Research thus far has been pretty fun, and the fact that I can get paid to study is a plus. People tell me I'm good at explaining things to people, and if I become a professor, I can work on whatever I want for research as long as it's interesting enough too publish. Plus if all else fails, I can work in the research arm of some corporation.

>Now
7 weeks away from moving halfway across the state to a decently-rated university in the middle of nowhere. But I won't be borrowing anything or paying a cent out of pocket.
>>
Is web dev really that bad guys? I am 26 and working through material, and it is basically my only shot at ever having a decent paying job at this point.
>>
>>61069595
It is if you get into a startup. I swore to myself i'd never go back after my last experience but I'm gonna have to because i have no other skill and the money is unbelievable considering how little skill you need.
>>
>>61055786
16:
>take programming classes in high school
>programming is fun! I will probably do this as a career!

19:
>second year in college, CompE
>I guess this is okay

24:
>been at my first programming job for a while
>fuck programming
>>
12:
>I want to make video games.

16:
>I want to make AOL Instant Messenger bots.

20:
>I want to design data structures and algorithms.

24:
>Start working at Google.

28:
>I want to make video games...
>>
No, anon, what's really going on is:

age N
>I want to be happy

Until you learn what it is that makes you happy, you will try and recreate the simple happiness of youth with the simple things which, the time, made you happy. But this is as pointless as trying to fit in your totally rad grade school sneakers. It won't work because you're no longer a kid.
>>
>>61055836
I'm not a privileged first world country citizen.
>>
>>61069331
You're just not cut for programming. How did you get the latter programming jobs after you got fired multiple times for poor performance? It's to hard to believe.

My story is the opposite of yours. I worked in a warehouse job before I got my programming job. It wasn't strictly a warehouse job. It was more like a factory/warehouse job. Yes, the hours set and work doesn't follow you home. But damn, the work is fucking awful and repetitive. I have to stand for hours for the whole shift with short scheduled breaks in between. The machinery fucking damn loud all the time. There's no AC, meaning that I have to deal with temperature extremes. The supervisors can be unethical sometimes. They don't stop the machines when even when the products coming out of them don't pass the inspections. They know they can get away with it because the blame is obviously going to go to the workers (one of them being me). The pay is low and there are no benefits until they make me a permanent worker. Vacation time has to be accumulated. Well, they decided not to make me a permanent worker.

After I was let go from the factory job, I decided to apply for programming jobs. Many attempts later, I finally landed a job. The quiet office environment was much better than the loud warehouse/factory. It was a huge difference. I was treated with more respect at this job than any manual labor job I've done before. I can come to work late and leave early. All that matters is getting the work done. I get health benefits, "unlimited" vacation, and my boss doesn't question me if I need to take certain days off for whatever reason.

I never want to go back to manual labor jobs again.
>>
>>61069487
most of the warehouses here pay between $10 - $13 starting off. i work for a privately owned distribution warhouse. the major chain ones pay shit (COUGH AMAZON), while the smaller, lesser known ones, especially privately owned ones, pay quite well. i'm on dual income though. only good thing that came out of college is my wife. we met freshman year and have been together since. she majored in criminal justice with a focus in forensics. she sadly never found employment after graduation. you would think with a degree like that she wouldn't have had issues, but we both graduated in the heart of the recession. hardly anyone was highering outside of a few fields, and areas like police saw huge budget cuts since you know, piss poor tax revenue thanks to the recession. since you had, and really still have such as a high experienced talent pool from all those who got laid off who had 5, 10, 20 years+ of experience out of work, and now looking for work, any work, the few that were hiring wanted the cream of the crop. why higher a fresh out of college whos experience at most was an internship when you can higher someone who worked 10 years in the field already and is willing to work for entry level pay to have a job again?

luckily while in college she worked shitty retail jobs... and now shes an assistant store manager for one of the local victoria secrets in our city. she makes a bit more than i do but we leave comfortably. no way could we live on our own though, even with the little debt we have.
>>
File: 279.jpg (61KB, 676x673px) Image search: [Google]
279.jpg
61KB, 676x673px
>>61069908
>I have to stand for hours
>The machinery fucking damn loud all the time
>There's no AC
You sound a lot like pic related anon
>>
>>61067368
>>61063847
>>61062212
>>61059201
Butthurt faggots get out. Aids is not technology related.
>>
>>61058853
Sound like typical asian parents to me. They think anything computer related is inherently connected to being a NEET/otaku.
>>
>>61069908
the point of my comment wasn't warehouse > programming but rather not everyone was cut from the same cloth. for me college was a waste of a time outside of meeting my wife. i was forced into something i didn't want to do. i went into something blindly because i listened to fuckwits instead of myself.
>>
File: p.gif (430KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
p.gif
430KB, 600x450px
>>61055786
Yep, that was me at like... 8.

23 years later, I can still pretty much say the same thing, despite devoting almost all of those years to programming.
>>
>>61056734
I feel you, haven't been home in 4 years. My parents were willing to pay for college but not to get me a decent PC. Had to work shitty jobs and write HMTL on my phone to be able afford a decent mid-range PC. Working as a contracted programmer now, earning really well, stacking up 'on-paper experience' to find a stable job.
>>
>>61055810
edgy
>>
>>61059143
At least where I'm from, being an academic genius is basically just having a good short-term memory. They offload you with so much information irrelevant to the job you plan on taking in the future.

I have a friend with a photographic memory, he always did well in tests, and ranked really high in international exams. Obviously flooded with job offers, takes an IT job. Fired in the first month for incompetence. The fucker works some shitty accounting job now.
>>
>>61061431
be glad you did something useful with those 3 years, most people just waste them away and have 0 experience when they finish service.

just like me slaving away for half your pay because my resume isn't padded enough.
>>
File: 1492664797484.png (43KB, 669x627px) Image search: [Google]
1492664797484.png
43KB, 669x627px
>>61068776
>>
>>61068776
good post, would read again
>>
>>61069821
Hey thanks for this
>>
Unless you make the next Minecraft making videos games suck.
>>
>>61055786
7 years old:
>when i grow up, i want to make "scientific" software. but i just want a gameboy now.
11 years old:
>wow this divX stuff is pretty cool. you put two movies on one cd.
13 years old
>wow matrix was fucking awesome
i want to make cgi for movies or make games
16 years old:
>this girl is an utter dweeb, but at least her butt is cute. trying to get into C
19-24 years:
>my SAT score and GPA fucking sucked. i don't want to show myself to anyone. and i don't want to leave my fucking house.
24- ??? years old
>>
>>61068776
damn anon that hit close to home

8:
>mavis beacon teaches typing

10:
>wikipedia

14:
>C# is fun

16:
>severe depression
>refuse prozac, smoke weed
>irc is relief
>tulpas are relief

18:
>denied to CS at uni
>do math instead

19:
>arrested for marijuana

20:
>arrested for trespassing

21:
>get six figure job at startup
>program forwarding asic's for network switches
>school + work sucks
>being rich is okay

22:
>one more semester
>live off soylent
>maybe i should quit and be a monk
>maybe i should use opiates
>maybe i should buy a ruger lc9
>life goal: first man to die on mars

anons, I don't believe there is anything in life that can truly satisfy.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (533KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
533KB, 1920x1080px
11yo:
>family bought our first computer
>computers are fun, I want to be a sysadmin
13yo:
>still want to be a sysadmin
>fucked around with unattended XP install, made a version that installs a bunch of pirated screensavers
17yo:
>discovered Adobe Premiere and After Effects, wtf I want to be in the media now
20yo:
>dicked around with part time jobs while taking classes in college, marketing major
22yo:
>discovered Maya, 3D modeling was pretty easy
>wanted to shift to 3D artist/work with 3D animation studios
>hated animating, though
>took some part time college courses for 3D modeling/animation
>fucked with GameMaker for a bit, realized how limited it is (was some early version back then)
25yo:
>life is dull w/o a hobby
>took some programming courses online
>surprisingly easy
>want to make video games now
26yo:
>started learning Unity
>kinda easy to use if you know what you're doing
>working on a game, learned more about programming and 3D art in 5-ish months than in my entire life
>still a lot of work to do, I mean my demo level is only a third done
>need more people to work on the game but too broke to pay them, it's only a hobby project after all
>pic related, my game
>>
After seeing all this I'm super apprehensive about starting my game software development course in uni in September.

>20 years old
>unable to determine what my skill set is
>don't even know what I want to do with myself apart from try to be happy (failing most of the time so far)
>probably retarded
>definitely autistic

Maybe I should just go join the military for a few years and figure out a direction in life
>>
>>61071274
if you don't know you don't have a skillset, start now

don't use the military as a cop out for not pulling your balls out and just trying something
>>
> 3-6 years;
routinely evade (shitty) parental control software measures put in place to play skifree rather than the weird game the pc autobooted in to

> 6-15 years old
play computer games all day, no consider programming interesting

> 15-18
learn pascal in school class, C++ in free time

> 19-21
Programming is fun but mostly bug fixing or tons of work for menial features, if only there were a job where you only code fun stuff

>23-now
Am a data scientist, everything went better than expected
>>
>>61071264
>too broke to make game
Just rip the normies off on some kickstarter or indiegogofundyourself
>>
>>61068531
just because you give it a scientific name (dyscalculia) doesn't mean you're not stupid
>>
>>61055786
>video games

Retard.

Me:
13-17
>Im good at everything I could be anything

18:
Fuck it, engineering and languages joint honours

22:
>let's go design some cutting edge skyscrapers

24:
>lets write software to design these fucking things automatically

>26[now]
>lets get paid an ass load to write articles about how to do the same shit more easily with automation and scripting
>let's travel all over the world to facilitate this
>>
11 years old:
>So this is dos. Neat!

16 years old:
>I'm gonna download all the emulators and warez and do all the things

18 years old:
I'm good with computer machines, I'm gonna learn this c stuff

18.5 years old:
>Fuck programming, I'm going to be a psyche major.

19 years old, after hassled by parents to work harder despite having good goal:
>Fuck life, I'm running off with a Mexican girl, doing drugs and getting laid

30 years old:
>back to college as a comp sci major and learning c, at least on dean's list now since I taught myself a lot in my spare time
>>
7 years of age
>Wow computers are fucking awesome, I can type shit and it comes out on a piece of paper and I'm the only one at school that can seem to make sense of them
10 years
>fuck there's another kid in my grade who can into computers
>"what the fuck he has a laptop"
>"this little cunt"
>befriend him and learn the magic of creating a shortcut to
 shutdown /s /t /c "YOU GOT PRANKED BY THE PRANK PATROL" 
and setting the icon to niggernet exploder
13 years
>learn about CPUs and shit from mate, we finally go from dial up to cable, explore everything computer related on the internet
>discover newgrounds and this shit hole
>fall in love
>also best computer friend drops out to study cisco
15 years
>decide knowledge of hardware and windows is now beneath ne
>buy book on Java from local book shop
>only book they had was a reference book
>idontfuckinggetit.webp
>fuck it Gentoo looks cool
>install Gentoo
>takes a couple hours and I fucking love every moment, expand my knowledge greatly, install it on everything
16 years
>transfer student arrives
>he programs in every language
>shows me his physics simulations in C, game in brainfuck and his functional programming memes
>"I gotta learn from this fucker"
>stick to him like glue for the next 2 years and learn he everything he can teach me
>make up for lost time by programming 24/7, writing anything and everything, produce thousands of lines a week
18 years
>programming is now a means to an end
>study asm, cyber security, micro controllers, start making shit, I want to ascend
>surpass genius mate in programming as he leaves computers for pure math and physics
>pay no attention to school in year 12, shitpost, wank to hentai and read all day
>get garbage ATAR of 62 (Ausfriend student rating out of 100)
>Uni won't let me in
>phone them up and tell them I'm secretly no shit
>they let me in
>so fucking excited
19 years (current)
>uni is fucking garbage, nobody has any passion for anything
(Cont.)
>>
>>61055786
Don't play and make video games. They rot your beautiful brain. Read books instead or do something productive.
>>
>>61072062
>old friends have set bar so high even professors are a let down
>nobody can answer my questions
>walk among friends a god, even though I was expecting to be a peasant among comp sci kids
>befriend third years as they can hold a conversation
>learn to pretend I know nothing about computers just to fit in
>get 100% on every assignment
>get 100% on every programming exam
>barely scrape by in other subjects exams where I have to regurgitate inane irrelevant facts
>not keen for future years, but hoping for a turn around

Bored and starting to think I'm wasting my time lads
I'm working a legal sys admin job, tempted to drop out to pursue...
Maybe make an app or some shit and continue to study while that makes money

Also genius friend now has comp sci degree (he started alongside HS) and other friend repairs coffee machines
>>
11 yrs old:

15 yrs old:
>duh i want to make a videogame, i'll start to learn programming

17 yrs old:
> I'll start to learn python

18 yrs old:
>any day now

18.5 yrs old:
>I should start learning how to make websites (php,java, and that shit)

19.5 yrs old:
>become a full time neet and play video games all day

23 yrs old (now)
>damn... just fucking kill me
>>
>>61068776
this, only keep it going up to 27, then you have me
>>
14 years
>do a bit of qbasic on family computer, and commodore basic on old C64, making text adventures and stuff. realize that programming is easy and essentially nothing more than modifying variables with if/then commands.

20 years
>start studying business administration for masters degree

26 years
>get a job in IT company, start getting into windows server, networking and related technologies, create test companies in virtual machines. also get into php and html/css via wordpress

28 years
>get into certain SAP products

30 years
>work as SAP consultant, considered the "technical guy" who knows how to setup application architecture, integration, APIs, identity federation. working with all kinds of blue chip clients.

32 years
>additionally become SQL expert and charge customers lots of money to put their data into excel spreadsheets or their integration systems.

Successful careers are disruptive nowadays.
>>
>>61071264
Your game needs better air control when you jump and better camera control when you turn. Played a demo of it a while ago on /agdg/. Still looking forward to the world you create with your game.
>>
11 yrs old:
>When I grow up, I want to make my computer do more shit for me (this is when I started learning how to write scripts for bots in Ragnarok)

15 yrs old:
>Fuck how do I make more money from botting

17 yrs old:
>Oh I got banned

18 yrs old:
>in CS

23 yrs old (now)
>corporate ladder, software developer, surrounded by a bunch of fucking retards who don't even know how to clear their cache when I ask them to do so before performing any tests, fucking idiots who can't even read process documents I made complete with screenshots and step-by-step instructions and they still manage to fuck up our maintenance windows, no fun, trying to find ways to make my job easier/do less work
I've been very patient with the motherfuckers, they're all 30+, working for at least 10+ years, and the dumb fucks still can't into computer. I spend time together with them to teach and try to get an actual exchange of words with them and not just me telling them to do x y z in 1 2 3 order.

Ok thank you faggots I just had to blow off steam because it's the weekend and monday is a holiday but I'm still getting calls from the fuck faces (who by the way gets payed for weekends as well because they do support stuff such as maintenance, while I don't because I'm supposedly a developer) and in the end I'm still the guy who has to walk them through it every fucking time I fucking hate these idiots.

I FUCKING HATE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD HURR HEY GUY WHY ISN'T XYZ WEB APP RUNNING HELP PLZ MOTHERFUCKER HAVE YOU TRIED CHECKING IF JBOSS IS RUNNING FUCK YOUR MOTHER RETARD
>>
>>61055786
Make W E B games in HTML5. Problem solved.

Also:
>9: got a Vtech laptop with BASIC
>10: made a database, printable and encryptable
>11: Made a text-adventure game
>13: BUY DarkBASIC in some store to make videogames
>14: Built up an island, starting on mansion*
>15: "wooo progressing nicely now! "
>Planning out puzzles and basic story framework
>drawing layout of the mansion, characters, etc.
>*CLICKs in your way!*
>Hard drive died. Lost almost everything that I hadn't already saved on a 512MB flash drive and DVD.
>stagnation for few years.
>18: I'M GOING TO WORK FOR VIDEOGAMES
>18.5: Develop severe autoimmune
>30: Nope.
I now backup religiously.

* Horror adventure puzzler based on a dream.
tl;dr some bonding experience where people go to a place, get assigned randomly to a partner for the week and do generic holiday adventure shit
Get invited to dinner meeting next morning, roommate never woke you.
See time, 3 minutes!
Put clothes on, rush down the hall, janitor is attending a door that is jammed, tells you to go around the other way.
Finally arrive to dining room, go to open door, bloody spike flies through door and screaming erupts from room.
Walk in to see people impaled to their chairs, dinner, table, the wall.
>>
I always wanted to have my own company. I'm employed in a very large software development agency and I make 90k / year. I got too comfortable on my salary and have too many running costs. Now I have a child and can't give up my job to chase my initial dream because I wouldn't be able to earn that much on my own since I wouldn't get those big ass projects. And yet, I ""only"" get 90k, while making around 600-700k / year revenue for the company I work at...
>>
>>61073580
> while making around 600-700k / year revenue for the company I work at...
the prole knows, shut it down
>>
>>61068776
~11
Everything is fun!
>why do i have anxiety
>i want to die
>i want to die
>i want to die
>i want to die
>i want to die
>oo i can code and i don't have to go in debt for university
>get a job
>i love my life! i'm making money!
>my shit job makes me want to kill myself
>i want to die
>>
>>61055786
11 years old:
>when I grow up I want to make videogames!
>play videogames

15 years old:
>This career finder website says I should make videogames!
>play videogames

17 years old:
>Making video games looks hard
>play videogames

20 years old:
>I want to be a writer
>play videogames

24 years old:
>I actually still want to make video games
>try Python to "lean to code"
>switch to C# because people in the IRC I hang out in use C# and lots of available help/resources
>learn C#/dabble in Unity/Monogame/XNA

25 years old:
>have made shitty games
>need to actually get a real job because my parents will probably die soon
>going to join Navy

To Be Continued...
>>
Make a vr game OP they sell boatloads roght now
>>
File: 1440938649289.jpg (11KB, 370x324px) Image search: [Google]
1440938649289.jpg
11KB, 370x324px
>>61055786
as a kid:
>play vidya
>be extremely creative, draw and write stuff all the time. it was probably terrible, but at least i had a fertile imagination

11 years old:
>available video games just aren't good enough, i want to make my own fantasies into games
>start learning how to program

11 to 13:
>learn more about programming
>make shitty games, a thousand pong clones etc.

14 to 19:
>go to high school for IT
>learn a ton of uninteresting shit like java, web technologies and that shit
>teach myself c, c++, computer graphics and low level stuff because no one else would
>get into source modding
>dream of getting a game dev career
>the more i learn about the technology the more difficult it seems to make games
>turn into a depressive fuckwreck
>start hundreds of projects, only to cancel them within 1 day to 1 week

20+:
>realize high school has crippled my creativity
>all of my projects (none of which i ever finished) are full of programmer art and colorful boxes because i am too inept of making even the simplest 2d sprites

since 21:
>go to college
>programming courses are boring as fuck since i already know all of the shit they teach us
>start looking for a job
>literally everybody in this fuckhole needs java fuckers and webdev fags
>absolutely no game companies in this part of the world who would hire a student
>start realizing that sacrificing leisure time in my teens in order to widen my skill on a technological level was a waste of time, since employers judge you purely by what schools and colleges you attended
>realize i should have spent my teens going out and getting dat pussay despite being an autistic faggot
>become even more of a depressive fuckwreck
>still continuously start projects, their lifespan becomes shorter and shorter and their content becomes less and less creative
>>
>>61055786
>i want to be a scientist!
>i don't know but probably something chemistry related
>i want to be a microbiologist. Start undergrads in med science
>studying but poor so start fixing laptops for old cunts to pay bills
>graduate. Can't find work and not enough money to move for post grad
24 (now)
>full time fixing shitty laptops and setting up Internetz for old cunts. Make decent money, work for myself with little overhead, dreams are dead and want to kms ereydai. Also no gf since uni
>>
>>61071082
Try googling "act black book" got a 25, read that like a week before then got a 32
>>
File: parametric.jpg (836KB, 1922x1084px) Image search: [Google]
parametric.jpg
836KB, 1922x1084px
>>61055786

11 yrs old:
>i really look up my uncle, when i grow up i want to be a computer engineer just like him

15 yrs old:
>high school "programming Olympics" teacher ruined my dream, gave up learning C

19 yrs old:
>free public college mathematics major

19.5 yrs old:
>quit mathematics major because its full of weird people and bad teacher (researcher) that doesn't even know how to lecture

21 yrs old:
enter a private architecture school, get an internship in an international office

24 yrs old:
ragequit internship, took interest in parametric design, start learning python and fiddling with arduino and CNC machine.

26 yrs old (now)
just graduated college without job, not sure if i should follow the technology road or go for the traditional patch.
I did a grad paper about [spoiler]social science[/spoiler] + technology and design
>>
>>61055836
I wish I knew about coding when i was fucking 8, i learned about it when i was 17
>>
>>61055786
>damn... i want to make videogames.
What kind of plebshit dream is that? Your goal in your limited time here on earth is to create entertainment for gaymers?
>>
>>61055810
why are you still alive then
>>
16:
>highschool dropout, parents pushing to get a vocational degree
17:
>start a 2-year webdev education
19:
>sit at home, jerk off, watch anime, play vidya and smoke weed for about 4 years while on welfare
22:
>fuck this, i'm gonna go get another vocational degree
>start electronics degree
>drop out 2 months later
23:
>maybe i should use that webdev stuff i learned
>oh fuck what is this js ecosystem
>this is pretty cool
>land a job as a front-end dev for country's major tv channel website

swings and roundabouts i guess.
>>
Why are you guys such quitters? Why do millennials have no stick–to–itiveness?
>>
>>61071395

Did you go to college? Is it possible to go from web dev to data science?
>>
13:
>get first actual computer, discover dank internet mems

15:
>discover 4chan
>slowly learning how to work a computer
>hate having to get someone else to fix my fuckups

16:
>failed to get the required grade in english test for college
>go to college and take the school level IT course because what else am i going to do?

17:
>failed college because im a useless lazy cunt
>ill take the apprentaceship route for my IT qualifications
>wow, its fucking nothing

18:
>get into college proper this time
>with my head freshly out of my arse i manage to get a pretty good grade

20:
>go study comp sci down south
>everything goes to shit, i stop attending, live like a NEET, and generally have a shit time before i transfer back home at the end of the year

21:
>having to start my degree over again at home town uni
>gotta get my act together this time, put the work in
>just cant will myself to give a fuck about a degree that has me come in for an hour or two every day, usually an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon

cont
>>
22:
>what the fuck am i doing here, i cant will myself to give a fuck about my deadlines before its nearly too late
>barely passing every module because im starting the thing ridiculously late
>fail the third fucking module on how2teamwork because i just cant will myself to pay attention to that shit
>im no longer on the honours degree, its just a pass or a fail for me now

23:
>third and final year
>i can fucking do this, its too late to give up now
>struggling with motivation like a motherfucker, barely improving in my ability to get shit done
>fuck up a module, but i can resit the exam so its cool
>times counting down and ive barely put any work in my final year project
>berated by my professors who are pissed off im doing fuck all while they work their balls off
>barely keeping myself from saying "fuck it" and just dropping out
>manage to pull that shit off, hand in my final year project at least mostly complete
>get told i havent done myself justice in my report
>now im looking for work
>still dont know how well ive done on account of still having one exam to go
>may well have failed the mobile dev module because i left myself a day to complete a program that was needlessly complicated by the way android programs have to be written
>breaking into the job market turns out to be kinda hard without a good degree

dont be like me, kids
>>
>>61060205
Get out. Just do it. They can get another worker. But it's your life.
>>
>>61068886
>That high frequency stuff is like black magic. Absolutely crazy. Will turn all of your existing circuits knowledge upside down.
Thanks for invoking my curiousity
>>
>>61074212
>still continuously start projects, their lifespan becomes shorter and shorter and their content becomes less and less creative
Don't force yourself to make more stuff, just do it when you actually feel like it.
>>
>>61055810
Deviants btfo
>>
>1988:
>be born

>1996:
>start learning computers from friend's rich dad (who has the money to afford it)

>1998:
>start learning from books how to work with the i386 architecture

>1999:
>"quake 3 looks really good!"
>get into quake 3 really hardcore

>2000:
>cpma gets released, get into that
>keep playing cpma instead of Q3

>2002:
>start focusing on the i386 again
>find out about x64, start trying to work with that
>eventually start getting into MIPS as well

>2005:
>attempt to get into C, never make it past hello world and basic guis/non-gui programs, essentially just boggled by it and can't figure it out

>2005-2006:
>keep playing videogames, occasionally trying new ideas in MIPS/i386, not so much x64

>2007:
>"holy shit tf2 is a cool thing!!!"
>drop q3/cpm for a bit to play tf2

>2008:
>quit tf2 because i hate it

>2009-2010:
>try learning python and java
>make progress in java, but eventually give up
>unmentioned previously but i was a bash pro back in the day so there's that too

>2010-2015:
>focus a lot on videogames again, get back into CPM as much as I can, try new games out, get really into singleplayer games eventually

>2016:
>get a lot of money

>2017:
>wallow in my money, hating videogames, hating myself for not doing cooler things, get into construction/architecture, work on building shit on property i purchased, go on hikes up mountains and around my province
>"i'm going to make a videogame."
>now learning C for real this time, still trying to stick to assembler as well for some godforsaken reason

Of course, I left a lot out, as the post character limit only goes so high
>>
>i wanna do computer stuff
>i wanna do computer stuff
>do computer stuff
>realise it's shit
>start lifting
>chase skirts
>fuck bitches

it's way more fun to chase women and pump and dump them.

work is that, work. just to make yourself money. enjoy yourself bae. fuck bitches write code.
>>
>>61055786
same but replace videogames with flight software/embedded systems. Currently working as a web developer intern, good money but its just not that interesting.
>>
>>61076372
What's your sock-to-leg ratio?
>>
>>61076439
huh? I work for a financial company so I wear long dress socks every day if thats what you're asking, business casual dress.
>>
>>61076475
Cute :-3
My sock to leg ratio is 4/6
>>
>>61076489
Oh i get it you're memeing.
>>
>>61070143
But it is related to CIA Niggers
>>
11 years old: I want to make video games
15 years old: Making video games is a pain in the dick and no one will play my shitty RPG Maker game anyway
17 years old: I'll become a programmer
18 years old: Programming is too hard and I am ill-suited to creative problem solving, I'll go to college
20something years old: They want me to pick a major? But I don't know what I want to do yet, I'll just stop wasting money and drop out until I know what I want to do
29 years old: I don't want to get a job, when is universal income happening?
>>
>>61067368
Hang past tense becomes hung if the intention is not to kill the subject.
If the subject is to be killed by hanging, then it becomes hanged
>>
just like make game, you faggot
resources out the ass
>>
> 18 y/o
Wtf I hate low-level programing, I hate system programming, why college is so retarded and outdated

> 24 y/o
Please give my C back.
>>
>>61055786
I don't really remember what I wanted to do at 11,15,17 when I grow up but now I'm 19 with no interests or any goals.Tried learning programming but got bored and dropped it.Basically a NEET now who browses 4chan all day.
>>
>>61055786
>4-12 years old
I want to go to university and get a degree because mom says so.

>13-14 years old
Playing BFV and CS, wanted to become pro gamer, also fuck school.

>15 years old
I want to make vidya, fuck school.

>16 years old
After messing around in RPG maker and realizing that vidya takes too much work, needs cooperation from others and a huge budget to create something worthwhile, I picked up writing in "jail". (Was there for skipping school)

>17-23 years old
I want to be a writer, fuck university. Still somehow lasted three semesters despite only turning up for exams, and still somehow get tons of dates despite being a poorfag.

>24 years old
I want to be a writer, fuck jobs and fuck dating, it's distracting.

Pretty happy with my choices so far.
>>
>>61055786
>7yo
>love making maps for Duke Nukem 3d

>10yo
>really good at making counter strike maps
>buy a pirated rpgmaker CD for PS1
>absolutely love making retarded shit on it

>12yo
>dream about being a game developer
>learning how to program

>14yo
>making shit games on rpgmaker and gamemaker
>learned how to program
>learning how to make 3d models
>learning how to make music for my games

>17y
>started working as a trainee programmer at a bank
>making mad dosh for a 17 year old
>everyone is certain that I'm going to have a brilliant future with a nice career, even myself
>finished highschool, joined game development class at college
>course was filled with manchildren ( even by my standards )
>had one of the devs of Bad Rats as a teacher
>classes were full of completely useless knowledge and shit that you could perfectly learn with internet tutorials

>abandon it after two semesters
>break up 8 year long relationship
>become a NEET
>waste my life away while getting rapidly more and more depressed

>27 yo
>gave up on my dream
>dead inside
>struggling with a shitty computer networking course that I should have finished a long time ago but I keep failing at it
>work fixing notebooks and computers at a government building
>being paid shit
>still struggling with depression
>didn't kill myself yet because I don't want to disappoint my family and make them even more sad than they already are with me
>>
elementary school
>"i want to work at nintendo when i grow up :DDD"
>neopets html tutorial

middle school
>stagecast creator, scratch, lego robotics
>read a c++ book but still too dumb to actually use it

high school
>learn web dev on shitty netbook, hey this is fun

uni
>cs major
>luckily figure out that web is shit, as is the game industry
>bit of hobbyist game dev anyway

now
>cushy dev job at network security company
>still do hobbyist game dev, never finish a project because engine dev
everything turned out alright
>>
>>61076592
>I don't want to get a job, when is universal income happening?
My neger.
>>
>>61055786
Why not both and learn C# nigger
>>
elementary school
>starcraft and neopets, learn some html

middle school
>can mess around with the internals of a desktop computer
>waste time on MMORPGs

high school
>tech in general is fun
>learn basic C++ and Java but don't want to be a codemonkey
>discover I'm good at linguistics
>graduate being able to converse in 4 languages

uni
>study electronics engineering because I love tech
>not very good at it though and no jobs in my country
>do freelance translations
>can converse in 6 languages
>major improvements social-wise due to volunteering in foreign student society
>final year thesis project makes me code in Java for a year, realize I should've studied IT instead, either web dev or networking

now

>fresh out of uni
>looking for basic IT jobs
>2 years of experience required

I could've done much more but there's hope, the real studying begins now
>>
>>61077283
I understand this is a bit off topic, but what languages are those?
And you're fluent, right?
>>
>>61077326

Lithuanian (native), English, Spanish, Russian, German and French

I'm fluent in 3 at best (holding a conversation =/= fluency) but if I lived in a country where these languages are spoken I'd become fluent much quicker.
>>
>>61055856
Damn if he's developing saints row gg on his part
>>
File: 1498123025449.jpg (2MB, 1700x3641px) Image search: [Google]
1498123025449.jpg
2MB, 1700x3641px
>>61055786
11 years old
>I want to be a hero!

16 years old
>I want to write stories

17 years old
>I want to make video games and write stories for them

>hey, you like computers right, go get a computer engineering degree

20 years old
>drop out of college because I have no idea what I'm doing

30 years old
>do nothing but play games and browse 4chan when I'm not working
>>
>>61077695
>the dad showed more support and interest than my entire family
>>
10 years old
>I want to make videogames when I grow up

13 years old
>older programmer friends talk about programming as if it is necessary to be taking a major in computer science to be able to do so
>feel demotivated

17 years old
>not so much into games anymore
>start taking on a major on psychology

18 years old
>By then I have learned many things on my own. Start learning HTML and CSS because I feel capable
>learn some C, PHP and start web deving

19 years old
>learn Python, some LISP, C++
>start learning how to fiddle with OpenGL

20 years old
>disgusted with psychology
>I learn math and computers better on my own than taking a course
>I love learning mathematics and computer science
>I hate studying it in order to score well on tests
>I think everyday about trashing my major and going full programmer mode whilst not working (part time english teacher)
>gathering money in order to buy some nice GPU (almost there (gtx1060)) and starting developing games
>frustrated with college but in love with programming and my part time work
>ugh
>>
>unironically wanting to be a code monkey

6years, want to be lawyer to help people
12years, want o make games
18 years, want to be banker
24 years, finish degree in stats and finance and start working as consultant for pwc
25 years, quit job and decide to go back to school
28 years, two and half years into law I just want to be a judge to chill, fuck helping people

Your 6 years old self knows best, trust the little guy.
>>
>>61077695
sauce?
>>
>>61078165
Gwenpool
>>
11 yrs old:
>Ubuntu is awesome! Linux is awesome! I wanna learn everything from networking to security vulnerabilities and the kernel and become an expert on it!

15 yrs old:
>depressed and smoking weed, playing vidya and trying to get laid all day
17 yrs old:
Made some C GTK+ apps and got into web development for freelancing cash and never really got to dwelve deep in linux, might have lost passion
18 yrs old:
>damn, i need money... what if...

22 years old now:
I want to learn Linux in depth and programming...No time to do it anymore though, busy trying to survive

Fuck my life
>>
>>61078219
thanks senpai
>>
File: 2346272.jpg (232KB, 378x988px) Image search: [Google]
2346272.jpg
232KB, 378x988px
>>61078307
Got another one
>>
>>61077695
This comic triggers me
>>
>>61055786
...that's how it is for me too, anon
>>
>>61068817
This is pretty much me. Apart from me graduating university, got married, had two kids, decided to switch careers and now flying for a living. I'm in some shitty hotel (on my standards) which smells like ass in a some shithole country and counting days when I get home.

Shit. I'm staring at the ceiling and thinking where my life took a wrong turn. The pay is good, but then again not so good that I could buy the house I want. I have investments valued around I guess half a mil, but loans on my and my companys name for a million.

I dont know what I want to do in life. I'd like to open some sort of a internet cafe or something and downshift in life.
>>
>>61067368
hanged is actually the correct term in this case.
>>
>>61067368
kys. he's saying it right.

>>61063847
assmad homo detected
>>
i'm currently 18 and probably just failed all my exams because i can't focus enough to revise due to dyspraxia. probably enjoy the next few months and an hero on results day
>>
>>61071184
>denied in CS
>accepted in math

>six figures
>student in a startup
At least make it believable next time.
>six figures
>being rich
Kek.
>>
>>61058853
You're on 4chan and just finished a fap session, so they're not wrong regarding you.
>>
>11 years old
I'm going to be an artist!

>15 years old
I'm going to be a game designer!

>17 years old
I've kinda made games, mostly experimenting, but now I have a real job for the summer that's exhausting. I'll pick up the speed in college!

>18 years old
Still working at shitty job, barely programmed anything within a year

>19 years old
Going to college now, not really making games but planning one out

>20 years old
Still in college, still same shitty job, still no games made

>21 years old
Still in college, still no games made, still shitty job

Am I stuck here
>>
>>61078082
>unironically being an audit monkey with a shitty degree
>>
>>61075190
I have a master's degree in finance.

You can go to data science from everything, if you come from web dev you have experience with the coding part (probably knowing SQL which is the most important and anyone trying to tell you otherwise is lying). The only part you need to get to know is the stats (and eventuallt machine learning or data mining) part which I am mostly self taught.

You can start off as a data analyst and depending on the environment you role will eventually become less and less sql codemonkey and dashboard maker to doing more interesting data science like modeling or inferential statistics
>>
>>61070143
>Aids is not technology related.

kek
>>
>>61056734
So much this, parents who are quick to shoot you down are the shittiest ones, good thing you ignored them.
>>
>>61075190
Don't fall for the data science meme unless it's a stepping stone in your career or you're fine with incredibly menial activities.
>hurr my job is great I spend 15 minutes contemplating regression models and 9 hours cleaning data
It's a boring job with just enough "sexy math wizard words" and PR from Jewgle so that retards fall for it.
>>
>>61061585
I'm going to end up the same path as you, friend.

How bad is it?
>>
>>61072147
you're bragging that you 100% every assignment and exam classes made for people who have never programmed before and that you suck at normal classes

i find it funny that usually faggots like you who talk big like "Yeah, im the REAL deal. I'm the best programmer around motherfucker, I program in fucking C." have dicked around and never actually launched anything or are baby webdevs

so if you're so smart, why didn't you ask about testing out of 101 classes? why did you go to university instead of a cc and spend all your spare time working on projects?
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.