[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Debian Unstable vs. Testing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: debian-wallpaper.jpg (160KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
debian-wallpaper.jpg
160KB, 1280x800px
Why aren't you using Debian Unstable instead of Debian Testing?

Rolling release - fresh packages, just like Gentoo or Arch.

You aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves and do some work occasionally, are you?
>>
OP: "I win!".

*drops mic*
>>
>using a distro named after some cuck who an hero'd
>>
>>61048124
Great institutions live on long after their founders are gone.
>>
>>61047818
>being a nigger
Enjoy your systemd.
>>
>>61047818
because im using slackware anon
>>
>>61047818
Debian installation media is pure, fucking, treacherous,cancer and so is the package manager.
>>
>>61048199
Yeah, systemd sucks. But what can you do? The war is over.

Freedom lost.
>>
Because for some reason only one of my monitors works on Debian w nouveau
>>
File: 1496431495408-g.jpg (80KB, 680x693px) Image search: [Google]
1496431495408-g.jpg
80KB, 680x693px
Because I'm not a stupid ricer that faps to version numbers. If a system is working as expected, it only needs security updates.
No regressions and no sudden breakages, my PC, laptop and sever work flawlessly 100 % of the time.
If I wanted to waste my time playing 1337 h4xx0r while searching how to fix something in forums and wikis, trying to guess which update fucked what; I would use Arch, the official LARP distro.
Debian. Configure it once, have it up and running for 2~5 years.
>>
>>61047818
Because I'm using Debian Stable
>>
>>61048254

> But what can you do?

The answer to that is literally:
Install gentoo!
You aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves and do some compiling occasionally, are you?
>>
Well having a busy life means lttle time to waste on worrying about my OS deciding to break so..

TLDR; Windows.
>>
>>61048300
GTFO, norman.
>>
>>61048270
Unless you need something like mesa 17 , or a modern kernel for your 480 or something
>>
>>61048270
Who needs piped-in water? Two buckets a day from the well is all you really need.
>>
>>61048300
I have a busy life too, so I use Linux because I don't want to waste time on long installations/updates and having to hunt for drivers after the first install AND having to replace the buggy default software. Linux works 10 times better out of the box, which is all I need.
>>
>>61048282
Debian Stable?

Time for the nursing home, Grandpa.
>>
>>61048299
Install Gentoo from source?

Ain't nobody got time for that!
>>
>>61047818
why is the logo pms going down the drain
>>
>>61048418
It's not pms.

PMS is the psychological shit that happens in the days just before menstruation.

You'd know that if you weren't a 30-year-old virgin wizard.
>>
>>61048270
so you're saying you don't need upstream bug fixes because you're comfy in your mold ridden packages

nice hate btw
just for the record you're arch opinion is bs. im not writing this to you but for the anons who will read your 1337 post so feel free to not reply to me
>>
>>61048465
post tits
>>
>>61048417

No time for love, install gentoo!
>>
File: 1498147487910.jpg (154KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1498147487910.jpg
154KB, 720x960px
>>61047818
if you want rolling release you go arch
everything else is literally handicapping yourself for no reason
in case of debian testing you are getting fucked over with security updates ( their lack of )
>>
File: 149676521610-g.gif (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
149676521610-g.gif
69KB, 640x480px
>>61048373
You can use a backports if you really need them. Not all kernel updates bring performance improvements, especially if you have older hardware.
>>61048376
The correct analogy would be arranging, with help from the community, a bunch of pipes and have working water for a long time (Debian); and arranging a bunch of untested pipes randomly and experiencing leaks constantly (Arch). Sure, maybe the leaks can be fixed in 5 mins, but those 5 minutes stack up and in the end you spend 10 hours fixing leaks.
>>61048567
>so you're saying you don't need upstream bug fixes because you're comfy in your mold ridden packages
Debian packages receive bugfixes and security updates. Most feature releases introduce new bugs and regressions anyway.
>just for the record you're arch opinion is bs
Explain yourself or fuck off. Arch is a hobbyist distro.
>It's too unstable for a served and too time-consuming for a workstation.
>Packages aren't tested and delaying updates can be a problem.
>AUR isn't checked so anyone could serve malware through it.
>No sane defaults. In fact, no defaults at all.
>Dependencies aren't made when possible optional at compile time, so you end up with file managers needing systemd as a dependency.
>no GUI install even though 90 % of users will copy and paste the wiki. Every distributions (yes, including Ubuntu) offers a CLI install for users that have special needs during install, so it's a stupid decision not to include it. It's a well-known fact that the CLI install is sort of a "ritual", an "initiation". That's the real reason it doesn't provide a GUI install

>im not writing this to you but for the anons who will read your 1337 post so feel free to not reply to me
Take your passive-aggressive non-arguments and shove them up your ass. What? Did you feel the need to protect your favourite distro? As if it has feelings or some shit?

Pussy.
>>
>>61047818
Because it's literally Unstable. Don't use Unstable for production, use backports or Ubuntu if you miss updated packages.
>>
>>61048744
Cute boy.
>>
>>61048744
From Debian security info:

Q: How is security handled for unstable?

A: Security for unstable is primarily handled by package maintainers, not by the Debian Security Team. Although the security team may upload high-urgency security-only fixes when maintainers are noticed to be inactive, support for stable will always have priority. If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly encouraged to stay with stable.

Q: How is security handled for testing?

A: Security for testing benefits from the security efforts of the entire project for unstable. However, there is a minimum two-day migration delay, and sometimes security fixes can be held up by transitions. The Security Team helps to move along those transitions holding back important security uploads, but this is not always possible and delays may occur. Especially in the months after a new stable release, when many new versions are uploaded to unstable, security fixes for testing may lag behind. If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly encouraged to stay with stable.
>>
>>61048997

Just use the hardened gentoo stable profile
>>
>>61048254
Redpill me on systemd, anon
>>
>>61049062
>having to compile everything yourself
>>
>>61049477

Nah, portage does that for you.
Think off the old joke
>how does an officer dig a trench?
>he orders the sergeant to do it.
>>
>>61048885
it's funny because you're obviously on your period
>>
>>61048885
you need 4.8 to run a rx480
>>
>>61049413
linuxtards want their system to be unique, and what systemd (and Red Hat) wants is to standardize the Linux system.
>>
File: nazi-flag.jpg (447KB, 4000x2200px) Image search: [Google]
nazi-flag.jpg
447KB, 4000x2200px
>>61050431
Just like Hitler wanted to "standardize" the world.
>>
>>61048282
This
>>
>>61049413
http://suckless.org/sucks/systemd
>>
File: 1471705320195.jpg (49KB, 410x380px) Image search: [Google]
1471705320195.jpg
49KB, 410x380px
>>61048299
>gentoo
>compiling '''''''occasionally''''''''''''
>>
>>61047818
Because I don't use Debian anyways
Devuan masterrace
>>
>>61052342
+1
>>
>>61048997
in regards to unstable; you run services on stable. for a daily driver of unstable, your security concerns are different and not solved by a security team backporting shit.
>>
>>61049413
sure, allow me to pretend
>i don't know shit about shit
>let me jump on the systemd hate wagon
>"look I'm smart"
>"im making valuable noise about operating system development"
>im a hacker!
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.