[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I explain the importance of version control to people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 1280px-Git-logo.svg.png (35KB, 1280x535px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Git-logo.svg.png
35KB, 1280x535px
How do I explain the importance of version control to people who can't even use a command line? I'm trying to teach a few people how to use git but they just don't get it...
>>
Use a GUI tool for it like Kraken, hell even Github have their own GUI tool for git. Show them a visual demonstration of version control and pull requests, pulling from master, rebasing etc

Try this also:
https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1
>>
Are these programmers your fellow employees? Let me guess, WinForm programmers using Visual Studio.
>>
>>61039536
git is needlessly complicted
>>
>>61039536
You tell them to group up and work together.
See what they like better--mailing copies of code on a USB through USPS Priority Mail, or syncing to a remote repository
>>
>>61039925
Why wouldnt they just use email then?
>>
Why would they need to use git? If it's for arbitrary version control just use a wiki or sharepoint.
>>
>>61039956
Emails have attachment size limits, the attachments get saved onto the server, you eat up your free storage really quickly.
Often times the attachments get re-encoded for sending so they get 25% larger for some reason. Also, if the archive isn't password protected, some email services won't receive your email at all if it finds an .exe file inside, and won't notify you about this until days later when it's too fucking late.
>>
File: 1496654758412.jpg (178KB, 850x755px) Image search: [Google]
1496654758412.jpg
178KB, 850x755px
>>61039536
im also interest in this answer
most of my peers all use f***book to sended code back and forth EVEN IN GROUP PROJECTS
i fucking hate nu-males and normies
i tried getting a group to use git once and it was hell
>"anon can you solve this conflict for me"
>"anon why doesnt it compile"
>"anon why wont it push"
>"anon i lost all muh changes, i hate you and git"
>"we should have used f***book"
>>
>>61040070
Some hft company lost a million dollars in a few seconds because they deployed an incorrect version of their software. Guess what: they did not have any source control.
>>
>gui for git
my fucking sides. Why self-proclaimed programmers in 2017 struggle with commandline again?
>>
>>61039536
If they're not programmers, tough chance. I am a programmer and I learned version control the hard way.
>>
>>61040509
You should try a GUI, imo the best solution is to use both the GUI and the commandline for Git.
>>
>>61040070
>most of my peers all use f***book to sended code back and forth EVEN IN GROUP PROJECTS
um......WAT

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THOSE IDIOTS
>>
>most of my peers all use f***book to sended code

Wait what? In what fucking idiot place youre working in? I have never EVER worked on a project with no version control, in my short career of 5 years in sw industry.
>>
>>61040743

Not him, but yeah, every time I end up in a school project they insist on creating a Facebook chatroom.

This must be the single least efficient way of communication in a project.
>>
>>61040509
>Click one button
or
>Type an entire sentence
It's not hard to see why people use a gui tool even if they're proficient with the command line.
>>
>>61039536
Tell them that it allows them to undo their keystrokes in case they type in too much crap and only notice it days later.
>>
>>61039536
>propose them to code a small project without source control
>demand new functionality A
>demand new functionality B
>fork a side project with some customizations for customer Z
>a bug is discovered! Fix them on both "branches"
>However customer X had baseline and never paid for A nor B, but fix it for them too!
>Keep adding functionality and spawning custom branches until it becomes unmanageable
You cannot understand the value unless you have been forced to work without source control or with inferior source control. You really need to live through that hell to understand it.
>>
>>61039536
Let them work without it. Then, when they break all their shit, they'll fall right in line.
>>
>>61042513
>having a button for every sentence
>only using the sentences that you have buttons for
>>
>>61044195
Everything you can do in the command line you can do in any gui tool. I work with devs and designers and it's entirely personal preference but gui tools are better for learning.
>>
>>61044232
>Everything you can do in the command line you can do in any gui tool
Wrong
>>
git is retarded though.
Fuck submodules and managing them.
>>
>>61044301
Give one example
>>
>>61039536
Tell them it's basically cloud backups for your code, and show them how to set up a GitHub (or another host if they want free private repos). Even if they just end up using a GUI client, that will get them used to using git. Once they're used to the software a bit, show them more advanced features.

>>61041379
What? Facebook messenger is just chat, equivalent to any other IM tool. Are you expecting IRC?

Just don't ever use it to send code back and forth.
>>
>>61044361
You don't need to use submodules tho

>>61044552
Manage git hooks and custom aliases come to mind
>>
>>61044175
This

Working with clients 101.
> Can you implement this feature its really cool
> Can you remove it and make things the way they were?
>>
>>61044560
Facebook messenger is just chat, but work chat tend to be ignored because you don't log in to facebook to work, and facebook is also heavily distracting.
>>
>>61039536
>can't even use a command line?
So no developers, so they don't need version control.

Check mate.
>>
>>61045215
I personally just use messenger.com; it's just the chat part of facebook without the "other people's lives that I don't care about" part.

Maybe I'm biased though, since I use facebook messenger to communicate with most of my friends, and I like having everything in one place.
>>
>>61045304

Maybe I'm biased too, but every school project I worked on which used facebook ended up a trainwreck.
>>
>>61039536
wait for them to go to the toilet, they're almost certainly going to leave their screen unlocked

then delete all relevant code files
>>
stop working with retards
>>
>>61039578
VS integration with Git is pretty good though. Really you're just an idiot if any of your code isn't under source control in 2017.
>>
>>61039765
Wrong
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.